Text Size

College Sports Arena

Cool college towns

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Cool college towns

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:11 pm

pod2dawg wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Are we already reassessing our thoughts as to the fallout?

We may or may not, but it appears the recruits aren't bothered.

I'm astounded. I just don't understand why a recruit who is good enough for a D1 scolarship would pick PSU this year. Even if you like the school and the coaches. There has to be so many other opportunities and locations where you won't have to deal with what happened there.

I can see it if you live in PA, your parents are alumni, you grew up a PSU freak, or something...

But any other player...I honestly don't get it.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: 2013 Recruiting

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:13 pm

Happy Valley is a truly awesome place, PSU has put together a really awesome staff around Coach BoB and the people that committed the crimes are gone.

I thought it would take longer, but that was just me being a moron, christ look at what Urban did with tangible punishments of the program coming down the line.

Larry Johnson Sr is still on staff too and is a bad ass, awesome, awesome guy and super recruiter. I've never met a coach at any level I liked spending time with more than LJ Sr.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:08 pm

^^^^^^^^^^That.

motherscratcher wrote:
...I honestly don't get it.

Mother PSU is BIG business.

Before the autrocities many perceived PSU as OSU with a 92% graduation rate and white helmets.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:55 pm

EO, you don't think Nebraska can be that 3rd team? I realize their 2012 class wasn't great.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:58 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Happy Valley is a truly awesome place, .

Not really. It's awe-ite for a college town, but ain't shit around there. Actually, I'd take Oakland in a heartbeat over State College.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:58 am

I call bullshit jb.

Everything everyone claims you feel when on campus at ND you feel at Happy Valley. The place is pure college and the atmosphere sucks you in.

Unless you get your nuts off to shitty statues of the Virgin Mary and fake geezes paintings, then South Bend is for you.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:15 am

Always enjoy my time there. I'm not a student, but I appreciate it for being a pretty damn cool college town.

YMMV
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:04 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I call bullshit jb.

Everything everyone claims you feel when on campus at ND you feel at Happy Valley. The place is pure college and the atmosphere sucks you in.

Unless you get your nuts off to shitty statues of the Virgin Mary and fake geezes paintings, then South Bend is for you.

I'm not saying HV sucks. I channel Peeker. But it is what it is. A college town with absolutely no other dimention. Take away FB & it is basically Kent with a worse hoops program and more isolation with too many NJ idiots.

And there is no comparison to the ND campus in feel or quality. You R an archetechtural moron to suggest that. There's a lifestyle center across the street from ND. Beaver ave is typical college bars; a lessor High st. & I'm no ND fan, but every inch there is 1st class. PSU has a great student center but many rough edges. ND stadium location is awesome.

Neither are in a decent area
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:14 pm

Seriously, if you aren't a Christian I don't see how you give a fuck about ND's campus and their dorms/buildings redefine "badly aged"

Duke is far more impressive art wise and also modernized.

And we'll agree to disagree, but IMO, Happy Valley feels to an 18 year old like college is supposed to feel. OSU almost is too Urban to fit the stereotype.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Cool College Towns

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Come in now JB, you cannot tout the Rose as a perfect stadium omitting the view. That's just crazy.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Cool College Towns

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:58 pm

I like State College.

Beaver Stadium is a shit hole.

The concourses and aisles were built for people of average size in 1965 and the place was built to hold about 50,000 of those fidgets. Around the stadium is nothing but...well...nothing...

They killed the view of Mt. Nittany with more bleacher type seats..

All true..

Still really enjoy going there.

If you want to look at something other than the game go to Michie or Husky Stadium.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:28 pm

JCoz wrote:Come in now JB, you cannot tout the Rose as a perfect stadium omitting the view. That's just crazy.

Unparse if you want and I will parse as I want. ;-)

Peeker is right about You Dub's view. Wow.

And I like State College as a college town as well. Just not sold on it as necessarily unique or head and shoulders great at what it does. And then there is the truth about "well, nothing."

To route it all back on point; can't see where Lee's point holds any validity that Penn State is all that compared to many other big flagship school campuses holds water unless you grew up bleeding blue. It is not a breathtaking nor unique campus in any way other than a creamery to put it on the plane of the truly spectacular campuses of America. I compares middle 50% to the flagship state school campuses. Not bad but not awesome.
jb

Unread postby furls » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Indiana has a nice campus too. Gothic architecture throughout. Nice looking campus, bumfuck nowhere though.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:39 pm

I am bias as hell and I acknowledge that, but I love Ohio Stadium. The renovations they did in the late 90s early 00's were great. They were designed to expand capacity while maintaining the overall architectural design. Most people don't relize that when they renovated the stadium that they added AA seating (where the old track was) and put the field about 30' below sea level

I love sitting in AA and looking up at C deck and realizing you are in a canyon. The canyon feel (about 100ish feet from field level to the top of the stands) makes it reverberate. That stadium is deafening. I'll never forget the 05 Texas Game or the 06 scUM game, my ears rang for a day. I love sitting in C deck (first 5 rows are the best kept secret in the stadium) near the 30's, great view of the field. The south stands makes it different. Is it a great stadium because it is my teams, sure, but Ohio Stadium has a lot going for it.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Might be about time for another chop on this thread furls.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:50 pm

furls wrote:I am bias as hell and I acknowledge that, but I love Ohio Stadium. The renovations they did in the late 90s early 00's were great. They were designed to expand capacity while maintaining the overall architectural design. Most people don't relize that when they renovated the stadium that they added AA seating (where the old track was) and put the field about 30' below sea level

I love sitting in AA and looking up at C deck and realizing you are in a canyon. The canyon feel (about 100ish feet from field level to the top of the stands) makes it reverberate. That stadium is deafening. I'll never forget the 05 Texas Game or the 06 scUM game, my ears rang for a day. I love sitting in C deck (first 5 rows are the best kept secret in the stadium) near the 30's, great view of the field. The south stands makes it different. Is it a great stadium because it is my teams, sure, but Ohio Stadium has a lot going for it.

Where you there for the '02 scUM game? When Will Allen picked that ball off I thought my eardrums would rupture. There is no experience in sports like a big Buckeye game at the Shoe. It's just the best.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Cool college towns

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:59 pm

I've never been to Happy Valley.

But Pre-Sandusky Gate, Penn State was garbage every year for about a decade. 7-8 wins, a shitty bowl, and a lot of bad losses in em.

They're a .500 team for a decade IMO. Maybe worse in a couple years. They'll get some kids, more as the years pass, but not even the level of kids they've been getting through this last decade of pasty mediocrity.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:10 am

SEC Towns....

Tuscaloosa (Bama) and Athens (Georgia) are leading the charge. Great bar scenes, clean and picturesque campuses, top-notch sports venues.

Vandy is Nashville, which is a great city with alot of things to do, but it's hard to place it as a "college town".

Oxford (Ole Miss) is a quaint, nice, clean campus with a great old town square. The bars and drinking laws around there are stupid, so that's a slight. The women are the hottest in the SEC, and in my amateur opinion should rank up there with any college in the country.

Gainesville (Florida) and Baton Rouge (LSU) are really a mix of city and college town, therefore a mix of the positives and negatives that go along with each. Baton Rouge is always under construction, from the road ways to the campus buildings, so that drops it down a notch. I'm biased though, so I'll hold back on my perceived "positives" which probably don't amount to anything in terms of the common reader.

Auburn, Starkville (Miss State) and Columbus (S. Carolina)are shit holes.

Tennessee is alright, but it's just too spread out. Football stadium is overrated, just a run of the mill college town overall.

Haven't been to Fayetville (Arkansas) but have heard nice things about the campus. They have alot of coporate money flowing through there from WalMart, Tyson Chicken, JB Hunt Transport. Their three major sports facilities are really top flight.

Haven't been to Kentucky.

My unofficial rankings...

1. Athens - Georgia
2. Tuscaloosa - Alabama
3. Nashville - Vanderbilt
4. Baton Rouge - LSU
5. Oxford - Ole Miss
6. Gainesville - Florida
7. Knoxville - Tennessee
8. Columbia - South Carolina
9. Auburn - Auburn
10. Starkville - Mississippi State

unranked/have not been: Lexington - Kentucky, Fayetville - Arkansas
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:26 am

FWIW, Boulder absolutely is in the top 10 if not top 5 of any college town list. Great campus, city, and remarkably cool stadium...if only they could put a team worth watching in it then they'd be on to something.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Return to College Sports Arena