Text Size

College Sports Arena

2013 Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 2013 Recruiting

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Too bad that was 999
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:02 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:4* QB ain't a 5* QB but it ain't Chernobyl.

Ended up the #2 QB in the country.

Least you could do is to cite an effing page number. I am NOT going back to reference a post from God knows when about God knows who. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:59 am

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:

Least you could do is to cite an effing page number. I am NOT going back to reference a post from God knows when about God knows who. ;-) ;) :wink:

Penn State had a strange class...Two 5-star kids...at QB (Christian Hackenberg) and TE (Adam Breneman) both ranked #2 at their positions, and then just two other 4-stars in the whole class...with the rest 2's and 3's. Not strong, but still probably 4th best in the B1G (after Nebraska), but almost completely on the strength of those two kids and Sickels. It's going downhill there, and they won't bottom out talent-wise for another 1-2 years.

Breneman had an OSU offer, IIRC,...he was offered by everyone...but I don't think they got another player that OSU offered.

http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p= ... -1&yr=2013
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:18 am

e0y2e3 wrote:

I put his transfer application appeal date at about Januaru 3rd 2015.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:15 pm

BACK TO PUNTER GATE, this is straight from Urban:

“We have a scholarship issue and we were going to try to get a guy to walk on. Some other school comes in and offers a full scholarship and we lose him. It wasn’t like at the end we lost a guy, we knew that might be a problem.”"
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:25 pm

Yeah...Drew Basil is the punter, for the moment. Epitropolous will get a look.

They don't seem the least bit worried about the situation, but it's still ridiculous that a program of this stature doesn't have one of the best punters in the country starting for them, and another one waiting for his turn.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby pup » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:43 pm

danwismar wrote:Yeah...Drew Basil is the punter, for the moment. Epitropolous will get a look.

They don't seem the least bit worried about the situation, but it's still ridiculous that a program of this stature doesn't have one of the best punters in the country starting for them, and another one waiting for his turn.

Regards,

The Vest
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby danwismar » Wed May 01, 2013 10:57 am

Debated where to put this, but these guys are 2013 recruits...

Video of the recent North-South All-Star Game, complete with very cool player annotations (from 11W)

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/05/2 ... hare=608a8

Chris Worley looks great (#11 in white) He was defensive MVP of the game.

Gareon Conley (who is still slated to play corner as a Buckeye), was offensive MVP with 3 TD receptions.

Darron Lee had some outstanding highlights on offense...running and catching the ball (although he did drop what would have been the game-winning TD pass)

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed May 01, 2013 7:19 pm

So here are a couple of observations from the highlights and post game/practice reports:

1. Gareon Conley wants to play offense and has the tools to do it. Most of us have him pencilled in as a CB, but he wants to play WR. Depending on how Eli Apple, Reeves and Burrows develop, he may just get his shot over there. Particularly if Webb (14) and Lattimore ('14) commit and develop this year the way most expect.

2. I don't know what position Darron Lee will play, but it will not be the Safety position that he was recruited for (initially). That kid is big and looks like he may get a bit bigger 235-240 is not out of the question. No matter what position he plays, my bet is that he plays it well. Could he be an H-Back? Looks good with the ball in his hands.

3. Speaking of guys that are too big for their recruited position.... Chris Worley is a big kid now, but looks like he will get MUCH bigger. Again, I don't think he is a safety. He looks like Ryan Shazier to me. My guess is that he ends up as an "undersized" (225lb) LB that can really get to the ball.

Worley is probably one of the most unheralded guys in the class, but he is an animal. It would not surprise me if he has the best career of the 2013 LB recruits (I am now counting him in that group).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Thu May 02, 2013 10:17 am

Agree on Worley....the first comparison that comes to mind of course is Jermale Hines...but Worley seems much more fully developed physically at this stage. As a high school senior, he looks like Hines did as a college senior. Hines struggled to add weight to get up to even 205 or 210. I think Worley is already 205 before he sets foot on campus.

What stood out to me is that you had three of the least heralded recruits in the class winning All Star game MVP awards, and sticking out as the best players on the field.

Conley looked very smooth at receiver too.

This freshman class is really unbelievable, and it looks like the 2014 group will be too. If Meyer can successfully answer his O-Line issues for 2014, we are in for a hell of a fun run for the next few years.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Thu May 02, 2013 5:42 pm

I am beginning to get a little more pessimistic about the '14 class as the Bucks are missing out on quite a few of their original plan A guys that it looked like they were going to get earlier in the process (Clifton Garrett, Drake Harris, etc.)
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:07 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue May 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Wonder how long it will be before Vonn Bell is starting. I count 1st string STAR as starting. Personally, I am hoping he somehow takes Christian Bryant's job. I am done with Bryant. Safeties cannot make as many boneheaded plays as he does whether it is DUMB penalties, missed tackles or blown assignments... What did he have 3 bad taunting personal fouls last year?

I understand that safeties have to play with some attitude, but come on man, it would be one thing if he was playing like Tatum or Ronnie Lott, but he isnt!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:13 pm

If Vonn beats out Najee and Bogard at STAR this year we have issues. Real big issues.

The STAR is almost a pseudo LB and that isn't how Bell plays the game. He is a corner running around at safety.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:14 pm

PS: Urbs loves Bryant, you're gonna have to deal with that one
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue May 07, 2013 5:38 pm

For all the crap OJ got, I think he was about a push with Bryant.

-Najee Murray is awful small to play STAR (5'9" 185). I heard some talk when he was coming out of HS that he had the hips and quicks to play CB. That said, Murray is an animal, but he is SMALL.

-Bogard is a little bigger (and I think more natural at STAR) at 6'0" 193. He is a hitter too. I think Bogard and Bell would make a great SS and FS tandem.

-Bell is the biggest of the three at 6'1" 190 and still has not entered an NCAAF training program. Bell will play at 200lbs. That said, I agree Bell is best suited to be a FS although he is plenty physical enough to play SS or STAR. Bell's real skill set is that he can cover like a corner, so bringing him into the box to play against the run seems to be a waste of what he does best.

-Darron Lee is actually pretty much tailor made for STAR (or even LB) at 6'2 200 with the frame to play at 210-220 at OSU. I am not sure that Lee will be ready this year and he could even end up on offense at HBack.

-Jayme Thompson is another outstanding candidate too. It really is an embarassment of riches.

(Worley not considered as he is a LB that hasn't realized he has/will outgrown Safety)

How long has it been since OSU has had good safety play? Can you think of anybody since Whitner and Tyler Everett in 2005?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:46 pm

5'9 185 is a LOAD. I'd rather that center of gravity hitting RBs than trying to cover tall split ends.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue May 07, 2013 8:01 pm

I worry about the "center of gravity" hitting guys like Leveon Ball and Monty Ball and bouncing off.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Wed May 08, 2013 10:41 am

Funny...no mention of the guy who is currently the starter at the position...Powell.

Worley sure looked like a potential Star to me at that North-South game. At 205, I don't think he's too big...or slow, for that matter.

Agree that safety play has been down for several years (although I contend that Tyler Everett was terrible), but in defense of the projected starters...Barnett and Bryant got it together in the second half of 2012 and played much better...Barnett getting back 100% healthy, and Bryant tackling better and taking better pursuit angles.

If someone beats either of them out...great...but I don't see it happening.

I think Murray is a corner all the way...in a very deep field, with Reeves and Apple and Burrows playing well behind the starters.

Would love to see Bogard come on at Star or safety, but I'm not going to pretend I know better than the staff who should be playing.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm not Crazy I'm remembering that Bogard and Murray were slated to get Star reps if not for their injuries? Powell, to his credit made good use of them being hurt.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed May 08, 2013 6:27 pm

I think you are right at least on Bogard, but I don't think Murray is made for the position (physically). He is just too small. OSU is looking at playing a significant amount of Dime this year and I think it will be interesting to see who ends up where when there are 6 DBs on the field. I know they love Murray on ST, we'll see where he ends up, but to get back to where we were, I think Bell is made much more for the STAR than Murray.

Dan, I have not stood next to Worley I can only go based on what I see and he looks like he will outgrow any DB position with the very next Big Mac. I think he is the next Shazier.... slightly undersized LB, playmaker and hell raiser. Will he be as good? Who knows, but I see the same type of body.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Thu May 09, 2013 1:12 am

furls wrote:Dan, I have not stood next to Worley I can only go based on what I see and he looks like he will outgrow any DB position with the very next Big Mac. I think he is the next Shazier.... slightly undersized LB, playmaker and hell raiser. Will he be as good? Who knows, but I see the same type of body.

You may be right, but right now I see a Hines clone, and I think the staff likes length, size and hitting at the Star spot. In any event, he looks like a player.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Thu May 09, 2013 1:15 am

furls wrote: OSU is looking at playing a significant amount of Dime this year and I think it will be interesting to see who ends up where when there are 6 DBs on the field.

My wager right now would be on Apple and/or Bell

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Thu May 09, 2013 8:36 am

I thought that given the prospects OSU was chasing in 2013 that the Worley offer was a bit "weak." It is easy to feel that way about a somewhat under the RADAR Glenville player when OSU is chasing national guys like Apple and Bell. That said, I saw some film on that kid late in the cycle and I was impressed, almost even shocked that there wasn't more hype around the kid. Then I heard some late season recruiting stories about coaches reactions to him. This one was my favorite:

An FSU coach was in G'Ville checking out Marshon Lattimore and ran into Worley in the hall. Worley was so underrated that the coach, having only seen Worley in the hall, asked the kid what year he was and if he played football. Worley said he did and that he was a senior and through the course of the conversation it came out that he had an OSU offer. The FSU coach presumably went back, watched film and offered the next day.

When I think of a STAR prototype, I think of Worley right now. The concern is over whether he has the speed to play S and whether he will end up in the 220s. Tedd Ginn Sr. said after the N-S game that Worley needs to put this safety nonsense behind him.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Givler has pointed out Worley's hips being a problem many, many times. Basically sees his ceiing as a prospect as being tied to his ability to use that big frame and put on LB weight.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:06 am

A few free updates on Bell from Givler who is currently on a Southern tour this week.

http://ohiostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1505613

Most notably he played last year between 177-180 (I didn't think he was as big as you thought Furls, at all). However he reports that right now he is 193.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:53 pm

The far more indepth free Bell follow-up, including a 9 minute interview video:

http://ohiostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1505716

Which, of course, indicates he may come in at STAR.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Tue May 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Interested in Givler's conversation with Demarre Kitt, Lee, if you can share the gist of that from behind the paywall.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:37 pm

I haven't listened to the video yet, but from the gist of things he's been telling everybody I'll guess he lists the Southern schools he's going to visit before his decisions (Auburn, Clemson, and another that is mentioned only in the pay-wall summary), that he hasn't made up his mind yet and that the decision will be very difficult. Probably also does a lot of work to blow off the Clemson rumors. He's taken a fairly hard line on the aforementioned with a couple of different people in the past week (including 11W).

I'll let you know if anything else interesting pops up from the video and what Givler has to report back when he has time to actually share his opinion on the matter. Him and Noon are just driving and posting videos right now so their opinions and what not haven't been shared. Givler is also watching Kitt's practice tonight, with Ohio State and Clemson coaches.

I'll say this, very impressed by this Rivals tour thus far, the interviews from Tenn yesterday were very good as well. Haven't listened to the one with Chris Sanderd's kid yet either, but apparently he shockingly grew up with OSU huge in his life.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Fri May 31, 2013 10:45 am

Ezekiel Elliott wins four state championships in track in Missouri. The times probably wouldn't win in Ohio most years, but four golds is four golds. At 6'1, 210, he's no little scatback. (hope this is a free article...not sure)

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Article/ ... lds-132811

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Fri May 31, 2013 3:55 pm

Bucks got in on a good one with Elliot early, long before anyone really knew who he was. Hard to believe this was a 3* guy when the Bucks offered.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Pretty sure the 110 hurdles time was top three in the nation, which for an RB means more to me than his 100 time.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:00 pm

furls wrote:Bucks got in on a good one with Elliot early, long before anyone really knew who he was. Hard to believe this was a 3* guy when the Bucks offered.

If Paris Campbell had played WR for any period of his life before this year I think he'd be the same this year. How many 6'1" 15 year olds run legit 4.4s? That kid excites me from a pure athletic talent standpoint as much as anyone OSU has signed in the Meyer era.

Also this year OSU was WAY ahead of everyone on Curtis Samuel and Thomas Holley out of NYC. Both are arguably the most realistic highly ranked targets at WR and DT. Crazy to think OSU offered them when neither were over a three star anywhere and now Holley is top 100 at Rivals and Samuel is 116 and rising.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri May 31, 2013 5:27 pm

I like Samuel and Campbell alot. Campbell is still flying under the RADAR (for as good as he is). Recruiting has changed with Meyer (understatement) and how I assess recruits has changed. I am no longer as concerned with the recruiting rankings, but moreso on how early of an offer a guy was by the staff and whether that offer was committable. Dylan Thompson is a great example. He is not the most highly ranked DL in the country, but he was one of OSU's first offers this year and they got him early. When you see that you know that a guy is a plan A guy for Meyer and Co. and while the rankings may not have Thompson ranked anywhere near the other elite DL, the fact that Meyer and his staff would take an early commitment from a kid like Thompson tells you that the staff has him ranked somewhere in that ball park.

As nice as that is, you can see the opposite happening at SE, where it is pretty clear that most of the Buckeyes Plan A guys have gone elsewhere and we are now reaching toward Plan C. I just hope those plan C guys are good enough.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Is Punter-Gate Finally Over???

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ralia.html

And Aussie Rules Football Player turned Punter = LOLZ
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:35 pm

saw a youtube of the kid kicking and it was pretty impressive. He is a one and a half stepper, a la Roby. Looked very good and there is some track record with doing this LSU was very successful with an Aussie Football guy. I feel better about this than I did with the Kicker Punting too.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:20 pm

furls wrote: He is a one and a half stepper, a la Roby.

I know hoe Big Daddy Kane feels about half-steppin', but IDK how he feels about 1 and a half steppin'.

Any insights?
jb

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:33 pm

According to BN$ Sprinkle has already outgrown WDE and will be making the move to SSDE behind Washington (competing with Bosa). I think Sprinkle is going to be a player. You don't win OHSAA DIV 1 DPOY (19 Sacks) as a scrub. Interesting to see what happens between him and Bosa. Will one move inside?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:04 pm

I've been hyped on Dontre more than anyone in this class not named Vonn Bell since Urban grabbed him and if today's comments by Brax are any indication my gut was right.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:10 pm

Yeah the way that folks are describing him, he is starting to look sound like the second coming of De'Anthony Thomas. Jalin Marshall drew pretty strong praise too. Very exciting stuff. This sounds terrible, but I am hoping that Dontre steals many of Hall's reps. We know what we have in Jordan Hall and I would say it is ordinary (by OSU standards). I hope Wilson is extraordinary enough to steal reps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:41 am

furls wrote:Yeah the way that folks are describing him, he is starting to look sound like the second coming of De'Anthony Thomas. Jalin Marshall drew pretty strong praise too. Very exciting stuff. This sounds terrible, but I am hoping that Dontre steals many of Hall's reps. We know what we have in Jordan Hall and I would say it is ordinary (by OSU standards). I hope Wilson is extraordinary enough to steal reps.

Yep. In order for us to get all Urban SECish that position has to be a straight up game changer. Not just productive.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:02 pm

With Dontre and Marshall already in the fold and Curtis Samuel a high possibility in 2014 Urban ain't fucking around at that position.

Only player OSU has had in that mold in a long time was Berry and he was literally nuts. Before that was the speedster from Glenville whose name is escaping me that Tress had no idea how to use.

Not to mention EGW is a lock in 2015.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Here is Brax and Urban on Dontre

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... owing.html

“I feel like he better be starting this year,” Miller said Thursday. “He can run any route, he can come in the backfield and take a handoff. … He can catch the ball and he bolts like a little fish running from the sharks or something. He's fast man. I'm glad to have him on my team.”

Bax also said the kid is working out with him constantly. Brax rings his phone at any time and Dontre goes to work with him.

Meyer was quick to point out that we'll see what he does when there is a big guy in pads not letting him run.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Yeah, there is an article on BN right now about Miller's reaction to Wilson. Shares that same quote. Miller's praise of these new guys is so high that it should be somewhat insulting to the old guys. He basically implies that Marshall and Wilson are the two best playmakers on the team and they haven't taken a snap.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:43 pm

For anyone who wants to get what the excitement is all about with Dontre Wilson, here's 11 minutes of senior highlights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL_QZpc4qdI

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:12 pm

Next time Dontre Wilson gets caught from behind in the open field will be the first. Funny that Lee mentioned that G'Ville kid, I was sort of thinking the same thing, but Wilson is different. He really is a lot like De'Anthony Thomas. Ginn was fast, but he couldn't make people miss in a phone booth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hq1BrWdEeg

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Also, Dontre did that in Texas 5A football. That competition he was running away from was real.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Yep, Texas 5A in the Dallas area is basically the same competition that STA plays in FL or some of the big play Catholics in NE Ohio.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:23 am

furls wrote:Yep, Texas 5A in the Dallas area is basically the same competition that STA plays in FL or some of the big play Catholics in NE Ohio.

Lived there for a few years right by the HS Stadium in Bedford and we'd go watch a few Euless Trinity games, my wife was teaching there so we got freebies. It was funny seeing them pimped out on a gatorade commercial a few years later.

Anyway it was good football. Some very sophisticated sets. At the time Trinity hardly ever threw the ball, just line up behind 5 Tongans, and run you over. Never did work as far as winning it all (that coach) but someone else came in and has done well.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:01 pm

I don't know....it's not realistic for a true freshman skill position player to really make an impact at a program like OSU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UvO6tS0II

danwismar

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena