Text Size

College Sports Arena

The Urban Meyer KIA list (transfers)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: The Urban Meyer KIA list (transfers)

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:21 pm

Injuries end Jamie Woods career...
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Anyone still worried about schollie numbers? I am actually worried the other way.... we have more openings than players that we really want that may actually come here. I think we will see about 25 openings this year.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:39 am

How many schollies can he bank for the following season?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby furls » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:31 am

As many as he wants. Not trying to sound like a smart ass, but that is the case. The B1G limit is 25, but you can get a waiver up to 28. The waiver is a rubber stamp as long as you are not oversigning.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:15 am

FYI: Right now tOSU has 14 players that are juniors, that is the list of available 2014 scholarships. That list includes Hankins, who I think is gone this year actually opening a sholarship in 2013. Roby is actually a 3rd year Soph, so he could stay as long as 2014, opening up a 2015 'ship. I think he should probably go this year, he could be back for one more: Who knows.

I think we are safe working on 13. Looking at the list of sophomores there are some candidates for early entry to the draft (opening up more 2014 scholarships). Here is my early watch list with probability of leaving:

-Braxton Miller (low: 15%?)
-Devin Smith (low: 20%?)
-Ryan Shazier (Med: 33%?)

Then there is the attrition. Here is my early attrition watchlist with reason in parenthesis.
-Rod Smith (50%. PT)
-KIA Verlon Reed (30%. PT depending on freshmen WRs and his position on DC)
-Daryl Baldwin (50%. PT)
-Antonio Underwood (30%. PT)
-Steve Miller (50%. PT)
-JT Moore (50%. PT).
-Curtis Grant (30%. PT)
-Cardale Jones (75%. Knucklehead)
-Chase Ferris (50%. PT)
-Chris Carter (50%. PT)

I think we are looking at 18-20 for 2014, but there are always 2-3 guys you never saw quitting that quit, so I think 18 is probably low 20-22 is probably a safe bet unless tOSU banks a couple, which could push it closer to 25.

-

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:11 am

Verlon Reed is gone.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:57 pm

LB Connor Crowell and G Joey O'Connor are both leaving the OSU program.

Crowell never regained his high school form after both knee and ankle injuries, and will presumably not continue in football.

O'Connor is likely to transfer to a school closer to his home in Colorado after having a "rough year" in Columbus, according to reports today.

At least partially answers the question of where the roster spots are going to come from for the 2013 recruits in excess of 21.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:46 pm

I guess the O'Connor knee injury was more serious than initially thought and the kid has had a pretty rough year. Bummer, I thought he would be an elite guard here. I had him penciled in as 2014 starter.

Not concerned about losing Crowell, sucks the kid never got completely back after that Marcus Lattimore like injury. I didn't think Crowell was going to be the answer at LB.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Se'Von Pittman, 2012 stud four star DE out. Showed up to spring ball looking good last year, hurt his knee, missed the season, never lost his black stripe (maybe) and according to The Dispatch had some off the field issues push him to request his release for a fresh start.

Kind of a big loss from a pure talent perspective but Jamal Marcus has been moved to DE to replace him (and to maximize his incredible ability to do little more on a football field than go from point A to point B really fast and w/ force)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Also, everyone thought Jamie Wood was going to go medical hardship but he is indeed playing his senior season, leaving the team at 82.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:09 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Se'Von Pittman, 2012 stud four star DE out. Showed up to spring ball looking good last year, hurt his knee, missed the season, never lost his black stripe (maybe) and according to The Dispatch had some off the field issues push him to request his release for a fresh start.

Kind of a big loss from a pure talent perspective but Jamal Marcus has been moved to DE to replace him (and to maximize his incredible ability to do little more on a football field than go from point A to point B really fast and w/ force)

I never understood Pittman's high rating when I saw him play at McK. felt the same way about Courtny Love at Mooney last year BTW. they hype never matched the play I saw.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:17 pm

There were nice reports about Pittman during Spring ball, but it got much quieter once Spence and Washington showed up. He was injured in spring camp and was not able to get it going again in fall. Bummer, I hoped he was going to work out, but he was always going to be a 5Tech or a 3Tech and that was going to be tough road to hoe. AWash, Schutt, Bennett, Bosa, Price... makes it an uphill battle.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:15 am

The word is that Pittman just never was willing to work hard enough to make it at OSU. He wasn't getting it done either on the field or in the classroom. Unmotivated, feeling entitled, etc. So Urban had "the talk" with him and told him he might want to get on with his life's work.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:17 am

JB, did you watch Pittman as a SR or Jr? IIRC, he was a "late-bloomer" and a bit of a project because of that.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:19 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:JB, did you watch Pittman as a SR or Jr? IIRC, he was a "late-bloomer" and a bit of a project because of that.

Bolf.
jb

Unread postby furls » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Se'Von Pittman was accused of rape for supposedly forcing a woman to give oral. He was interviewed by police on 21 Feb. I wonder if this had anything to do with his talk with Urban Meyer.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:02 pm

furls wrote:Se'Von Pittman was accused of rape for supposedly forcing a woman to give oral. He was interviewed by police on 21 Feb. I wonder if this had anything to do with his talk with Urban Meyer.

Was she toothless?

(I know, thats really bad)
jb

Unread postby furls » Tue May 07, 2013 8:07 pm

There are rumors out there now that David "Boom" Perkins is on his way out. The staff is letting him look around and he is looking for a landing pad in the MAC. Watching Blake Thomas drag him 20 yards in the Spring Game definitely made me wonder where he was going to contribute. That said, it is a shame, talented kid. Very Fast seemed like he wanted to be a Buckeye. Good Luck to him.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:34 pm

File that rumor under the "Bucknuts rumors I don't believe for a second" category.

Bull. Shit. Kid is owning the WLB in the two deep, no reason to run away.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue May 07, 2013 8:49 pm

It is coming out from multiple 247 staff members. This isn't joe blow the message board insider. Rumor is there were off the field issues too.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Wed May 08, 2013 9:35 am

furls wrote:There are rumors out there now that David "Boom" Perkins is on his way out. The staff is letting him look around and he is looking for a landing pad in the MAC. Watching Blake Thomas drag him 20 yards in the Spring Game definitely made me wonder where he was going to contribute. That said, it is a shame, talented kid. Very Fast seemed like he wanted to be a Buckeye. Good Luck to him.

That's cause Blake Thomas is, like, awesome. war: 3 stars who overachieve.

AMDG Mofos.
jb

Unread postby furls » Wed May 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Thomas does look like he will be a player at some point. Unfortunately I am not sure he will be "H-Backy" enough for Meyer's O and Meyer is not a huge TE guy. There are at least 10 posts on this site where I wrote about Thomas dominating highly rated DL in Iggy's run at the State Championship.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:39 pm

furls wrote:There are rumors out there now that David "Boom" Perkins is on his way out. The staff is letting him look around and he is looking for a landing pad in the MAC. Watching Blake Thomas drag him 20 yards in the Spring Game definitely made me wonder where he was going to contribute. That said, it is a shame, talented kid. Very Fast seemed like he wanted to be a Buckeye. Good Luck to him.

I'm at work, so I can't link it, but this was confirmed by Urban Meyer today per everyone on twitter.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby furls » Thu May 30, 2013 5:01 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:

I'm at work, so I can't link it, but this was confirmed by Urban Meyer today per everyone on twitter.

It is fact; he GONE. Confirmed by Meyer today. Gotta give props where they are due, Bucknuts/247 was all over this about a month ago. I think Perkins could see that he was not likely to contribute as long as Shazier is here and from most reports Shazier is looking at staying through his senior year. That would give Boom maybe one year as a starter. I liked Perkins, but I don't see this as a huge loss. OSU plays a lot of 4-2-5, they have a lot of young guys and many more coming in 2014 (at least Hubbard, Berger, Booker (DE?), likely McMillan and possibly Winovich). Winovich is rumored to be on his way to Pitt.

Next man up.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:12 pm

This probably has something to do with it. Mugshot per Lori Schmidt's twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LoriSchmidt/ ... 745/photos
jclvd_23

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:03 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:This probably has something to do with it. Mugshot per Lori Schmidt's twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LoriSchmidt/ ... 745/photos

Well, when a touchy situation ends up completely blowing up....

Wouldn't be the first time a kid was reported as out and ended up coming to his senses (see Chris Fields last year - it was the exact same report and "quitting" as Perkins). However, when you go out and get arrested while playing that game it's all but finished.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri May 31, 2013 5:13 pm

The Fields situation was a little different in that he had a temper tantrum after a practice and came back around quickly, the Perkins thing... well, it has dragged on for the better part of a month. Like I said, he has been out seeking a home at the MAC level for a while and sent feelers out to a couple of major schools that declined. My guess is that he still ends up at a MAC school for a couple of years and amounts for about 0. See Bell, Dorian.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:02 pm

furls wrote: Like I said, he has been out seeking a home at the MAC level for a while

Apparently at BG. LOL.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Luke Roberts transferring to Harvard. Him leaving was sealed the minute Meyer came on board, there will never be another slow ass LB at OSU.

And getting to go to Harvard out of it works well for him. Good kid and a hard worker by all accounts.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Good kid, OSU gets a schollie, he gets a shot at PT and a Harvard education.

Win for all.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:38 am

Najee Murray now out for disciplinary reasons. Hope the other sophomores and freshman corners can play.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:12 pm

OSU hasn't confirmed his dismissal yet, but, yeah he's gone. Said to be heading to Louisville.

No reason given, but I assume it's probably booze or class related.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:42 pm

This is actually a little convenient. I doubt he was ever going to contribute here outside of special teams. Opens up a 2014 scholarship.

Murray is just too small to play safety (5'8") and with Apple, Conley and Webb it is unlikely he was ever going to log a lot of snaps at CB.

The camp reports on Conley have been GLOWING and we already know that Apple is in line to be a player too. That said, I have never been as confident about a DB being a contributor as I am about Damon Webb. The guy shuts everyone (except EGW) down.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Kind of sucks from a depth perspective. This is a kid that pre-injury last year Urban raved about more than once due to her performance on special teams and athleticism/intensity.

It helps with the 2014 schollie situation but it really isn't a good thing to see happen this year. You don't want to only have Freshman to count on for special teams play, look at what happened last year after the Freshman started getting hurt to the coverage units.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Yeah, I get what you are saying, but Murray regarless of whether Meyer was raving about Murray last year, he was getting crushed on the DC this year. He was a guy that just wasn't going to have a position here at DB. Maybe on ST. Murray's future on this team was going to be very similar to Ron Tanner's.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:35 pm

The college record of Big Reds kids on staying due to academics & discipline is abysmal. Too much small town entitlement.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:51 am

Murray was a scholar athlete and a really good kid by all accounts.

That said getting caught smoking during camp, when you are locked in a hotel for a reason, is one of the dumbest things I can remember.

Seriously, getting caught red handed at camp? Christ.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:32 am

So that's what he did, he was in his room hitting some chronic? Maybe he's got early stage cateracts.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:52 am

Well, he was booted during camp and it's being reported by Rivals that he was caught red handed violating team rules, so that's my guess.

Pot or booze, but I tend to guess the first, makes much more sense being in a hotel room and all.

I guess maybe he could have snuck a girl into the hotel but that would seem a bit meh for being sent home.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:25 am

Um, wouldn't that fall under the rubric of " discipline"?

If we can forego the hackneyed "99% of college students" thread?

You say stupid I say entitled.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Word is he set off the smoke alarm in his hotel room at 12:30 AM.

Nothing proven yet but since he's gone you have to believe it's so.

I'm stickin with stupid.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:34 pm

As in he was smoking so much pot and he set it off, or he was drunk/bored and pulled the alarm?

If it's the first one, i'm impressed and he should get some kind of award or something.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:35 pm

Not a transfer...but roster attrition nonetheless...

Adam Griffin had shoulder surgery today, and it was reported by football SID Jerry Emig that his football career is likely over. Also safety Jamie Wood is out with recurring shoulder problems...Wood is a 5th year senior, so his career is essentially over too, you'd assume.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Griffin was a good kid. Hoping the best for him. He made some pretty solid plays (including the punt fake pass defense against PSU). Wood just never got it together and was never healthy.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:01 am

Rumors on 11W that Blake Thomas may have a career ending shoulder/neck injury. Basically, the nerve problem is causing stingers constantly and ultimately he risks paralysis if he keeps playing.

This has not been confirmed by any reputable source I have seen, but I thought I would share it as the posters at 11W seemed to not be the normal morons. Bummer if true, Thomas was a guy that although he does not meet Meyer's norm was going to play at OSU because he is good at what he does. If you remember in his senior (Ignatius OHSAA Champs) he dominated nearly every good DE in OH as a blocking TE (Strobel, Wormley, the LB/DE that went to Northwestern and a couple of others that I forgot). He had good hands and was an excellent blocker. Not a crushing loss due to depth, but a significant loss the same if this is true.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:54 am

Yeah, Thomas' dad posted at 11W (which I guess is fair since he signed up last year to tell everyone Blake wasn't tranfering when 11W posters swore he was gone) and the school has confirmed.

Kid loves OSU by all accounts so that is a tough break. He was huge in getting Kyle Berger.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Blake Thomas' football career is over.
jb

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:09 am

Najee Murray officially granted his release.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/08/2 ... -from-team

On a semi-related note, Bill Greene has been saying that available scholarships for the 2014 class won't be an issue, and Ohio State will be able to take as many as they like. So, looking like 24-25 spots realistically available for this upcoming class. Should be another monster haul.
jclvd_23

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena