Text Size

College Sports Arena

Consolidated 2012 Recruiting Post

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Consolidated 2012 Recruiting Post

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:22 pm

After watching this junior film of Davonte Neal, he instantly became my top priority to finish out the 2012 class...over Dodson...over Diamond...over Reeves...

I must have said "holy shit" at least four times in this 11 minutes of video. Could his senior year film be better? I haven't looked for it, but if I might very soon, especially if they land him.

He has a combination of open field instincts...moves...and pure speed that I haven't seen in a high school kid in a while. Reminded me a little bit of Noel Devine's H.S. tape, only bigger and stronger. He could be the starting punt and kickoff returner for the Buckeyes right now, IMO.

They're saying it's probably down to ND and OSU, with the home state U of Arizona getting a look with Rich Rod there. I think his parents are OSU grads??
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Nationally it is down to OSU and ND, but his former coach is now on the Arizona AD staff and is the reason for that damned 2/10 visit.

Unless Urban makes sweet magic during his rescheduled in-home this could take awhile.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Yeah, Neal is impressive. I like him a little better then Diggs even. Hopefully he ends up in this class because Meyer would absolutely know what to do about him.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:23 pm

The run at 2:41 is stupid
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:06 pm

furls wrote:Yeah, Neal is impressive. I like him a little better then Diggs even. Hopefully he ends up in this class because Meyer would absolutely know what to do about him.

The bitch of it is....so would RR. Much of Meyers O is based on RR's schemes.

And there he is right near home for the folks to watch.

Now its the Folks buckeye loyalties vs the want to be near and watch their kid live.

Kid was in the bag I thought until recent events. Now I'd honestly call us the underdog to AZ. And I couldn't blame the kid, he'd thrive in that offense and be close to home.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:04 pm

So Roger Lewis to go the Prep School route. He's the guy there has been rumbling about being in academic trouble for some time and now he's most likely not gonna make it this year but is being told OSU will hold a spot for him next year like with Jones this year.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:06 pm

Also, Stefen Diggs is screwing with everyone again and "deciding" if he is going to visit OSU this weekend or not.

Still not likely he visits, but if he does the most explosive player in the country is at least on campus.

Reeves is deciding between OSU and scUM shortly and Cox will also be deciding on OSU or not.

Dodson is announcing Saturday and all the Scout guys still say he's a Buckeye on Saturday, so meh.

Diamond looking likely to end up scUM's sixth OT recruit locked up.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:07 pm

JCoz wrote:
furls wrote:Yeah, Neal is impressive. I like him a little better then Diggs even. Hopefully he ends up in this class because Meyer would absolutely know what to do about him.

The bitch of it is....so would RR. Much of Meyers O is based on RR's schemes.

And there he is right near home for the folks to watch.

Now its the Folks buckeye loyalties vs the want to be near and watch their kid live.

Kid was in the bag I thought until recent events. Now I'd honestly call us the underdog to AZ. And I couldn't blame the kid, he'd thrive in that offense and be close to home.

While I wouldn't compare Neal to Diggs directly you have to agree. It really seemed like his former coach getting that job in Arizona totally changed his recruiting to now 50/50 at best.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:50 pm

I was comparing the two in the sense that I feel like we would probably only end up with one of them and if I could pick one it would probably be Neal. Both are excellent players, I just see Diggs as the second best WR in 2012, whereas I see Neal as the best playmaker in 2012.

If we were running Mike Gundy's Ok. State offense or Mike Leach's Texas Tech (now WSU) offense I would be pimping Diggs, but with Meyer I just feel like Neal is a better match for the syatem (but I would take Diggs in a heartbeat too).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Per Greene, Diamond ship has more than sailed. Urban never even kept in touch after the official, deciding their just wasn't a match, yielding him jumping all-in on Decker and Dodson.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Wanna feel old?

"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:21 pm

Diggs is coming, only a 24 hour visit though (has to take the ACT on Saturday, coming afterward). Maryland the next weekend then announcing 2/11.

Per Greene
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Getting Diggs on campus is cool, but I am still not that excited. Would love to get him and/or Neal, but I just don't think that there is anyway we pull the Diggs rabbit out of Meyer's hat.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:43 am

Yeah, my hopes aren't up, but hey, it is something.

Unrealated notes: apparently Roger Lewis doesn't want to go the Prep School route and is going to OU or Bowling Green and Kiffin is trying to steal Dodson.

Gotta love the insane stupidity that recruiting now is!!!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:57 am

Lewis as a non qualifier is a complete non surprise. I guess he flashed some pretty good skills in the Offense/Defense game, so I guess that is a little disappointing, but I never really saw a game breaker in Lewis. Another name to watch for non-qualifier is Devan Bogard. He is still trying to get a test score, his last ACT score was a 15 (needs 17). For a frame of reference, my black lab puppy just scored a 19.

Ricquan Southward has qualified, so that is good news. FYI, his senior highlights are out and they are impressive.

Dodson's recruiting is one of the strangest I can remember, I would love to know 100% of the story.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:19 pm

I'd love to know if Kiffin is recruiting Dodson just to fuck with Meyer considering the OT haul they are already pulling in.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 pm

How long until that machine at USC is running again? Oregon is super Neat-O but USC is still the big dog on the porch (even with Lane Violation).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:00 pm

And Reeves just chose OSU over scUM.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:06 pm

Urban 1.....Hoke 0

The first real head-to-head recruiting battle between Urban and Hoke goes the Buckeyes' way.

Dodson was at the basketball game today with a group of OSU recruits after Urban had an in-home visit with him last night. If that ain't good news I don't know it when I see it.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:53 am

Yeah, I gotta believe that Dodson is all S&G despite recent rumors that he is USC bound. Reeves taking tOSU over scUM is nice, CB was definitely a position of need after Clarke and Gambrell got tossed off the team.

Heard Diggs visit went very well too. Good enough? We shall see, but I am still not optimistic. I will not allow myself to dream yet.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:28 am

furls wrote:How long until that machine at USC is running again? Oregon is super Neat-O but USC is still the big dog on the porch (even with Lane Violation).

One year. Then it's Alabama, USC, & tOSU to reign.

Texas has Texas. Florida, Florida State, LSU and even scUM will get theirs.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Marcus officially in, Dodson supposedly in whenever the girls lax team at his high school gives up the podium at the presser.

Diggs and Neal the last two guys Meyer is in on that are undecided, finding out both of them 2/10.

Also, a ton of rumors kicking the Neal is a Buckeye once his dad stops elongating this recruiting process.

Marcus makes this LBing corp nasty, athletic as hell and scary. If he can really pull off MLB like Meyer thinks he can, christ. Probably the best defensive high-light tape in the class.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Dodson ignores Lane Kiffin and his continued infactuation with Meyer recruits (he's already chasing 2013 targets) and is a Buckeye.

Needed two big time offensive tackles this year, got two offensive tackels.

Perfect class, addressing LB speed, pass-rushing and the O-line. Now wait a week and find out of two cherry on top offensive playmakers want to join.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:56 pm

BTW: Urban got both of his signing day targets, something Buckeye fans haven't seen in a-long-while. And I'll be he goes at least 1/2 on these two post signing day guys.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:24 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:BTW: Urban got both of his signing day targets, something Buckeye fans haven't seen in a-long-while. And I'll be he goes at least 1/2 on these two post signing day guys.

Been a long time coming, and boy was it nice.

Scary how much talent we would have lost out on without Meyer, and how many of them would have been in conference.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:27 pm

I'd be ecstatic with just Neal added to this class. Although after what we've seen the last two months, if he landed Diggs, it wouldn't surprise me.

I loved Ramzy's tweet this morning:

"Christ, Urban Meyer could lead 900 people to Guyana and make them drink."

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:33 pm

A video better surface on Youtube of Dodson's commitment thingy with his team. For as awesome as it sounds, it needs to be online.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:43 pm

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:15 pm

From Ari of BSB "-- Dodson said the turning point in his recruiting process was when Urban Meyer looked him in the eye and said he geniuinely cared about him, even if he chose to go another school. Meyer conveyed to Dodson that he was a No. 1 priority throughout the process."

Heh, only posting this because man........... this is the exact thing OSU fans bitched about from Meyer for four years.

Heh.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:19 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:From Ari of BSB "-- Dodson said the turning point in his recruiting process was when Urban Meyer looked him in the eye and said he geniuinely cared about him, even if he chose to go another school. Meyer conveyed to Dodson that he was a No. 1 priority throughout the process."

Heh, only posting this because man........... this is the exact thing OSU fans bitched about from Meyer for four years.

Heh.

:tfh: (cache)

(x)
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:41 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Dodson ignores Lane Kiffin and his continued infactuation with Meyer recruits (he's already chasing 2013 targets) and is a Buckeye.

Needed two big time offensive tackles this year, got two offensive tackels.

Perfect class, addressing LB speed, pass-rushing and the O-line. Now wait a week and find out of two cherry on top offensive playmakers want to join.

D front 7 should be rejuvenated in a couple seasons. I also like the S's we got (thinking Najee will move there from seeing him hit at Big Red).

Hopeful the RB's improve us as well.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:59 pm

Couldn't have done any better as far as addressing the deficit of speed at linebacker...Perkins, Marcus, Williams and Perry.

I hadn't taken the time to watch any video of Marcus till today. Everyone has been saying he's severely underrated as a 3-star (long before he signed with OSU)and that his film was really impressive. Check out the youtube of senior highlights...seems really quick off the ball and makes a ton of plays in the backfield.

I know, they're highlight vids, and the competition in SC isn't exactly St. Iggy, but you can get a feel for the speed and power of the guy at 6'3", 245. If he could eventually play at the MLB spot, and they could put Perkins, Williams, Shazier, and Perry outside...Jesus.

Perry may end up playing offense...possibly the best athlete in the whole class...kid long-jumped like 23'5" at his size. Can't wait to see him play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZRN0BlbpYk

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Perry's gonna end up at TE and gonna be a freak, IMO.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:07 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:From Ari of BSB "-- Dodson said the turning point in his recruiting process was when Urban Meyer looked him in the eye and said he geniuinely cared about him, even if he chose to go another school. Meyer conveyed to Dodson that he was a No. 1 priority throughout the process."

Heh.

Sure. But now he means it.

:hide:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:47 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Perry's gonna end up at TE and gonna be a freak, IMO.

He's no Louis Irizarry
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:52 pm

I'm not sure whose story is more expected from Y-town, Turner or Louis......
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:05 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:A video better surface on Youtube of Dodson's commitment thingy with his team. For as awesome as it sounds, it needs to be online.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:19 pm

Meyer just said on the radio "we don't redshirt"

HA, no way that holds.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:26 pm

Here's the official OSU release on the class with pictures, bios, etc.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/signingday/

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Nice job graphics department...... very original.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Uhm... Mike Farrell @ rivalsmike
Big news, # OhioState not taking Davonte Neal now

In his preser Meyer made it clear they were recruiting for one more spot. If this is true, well, read between the lines......
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:44 pm

And Meyer is fairly openly ripping the speed of the WRer corp and numbers on the radio right now.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:05 pm

danwismar wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:A video better surface on Youtube of Dodson's commitment thingy with his team. For as awesome as it sounds, it needs to be online.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

It was all pops and buzzes from here.
jb

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Not Ohio State related, but quite hilarious.

#Auburn signee Cassanova McKinzy says the lack of a @ChickfilA on campus played a factor in picking the Tigers over #Clemson.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:09 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Uhm... Mike Farrell @ rivalsmike
Big news, # OhioState not taking Davonte Neal now

In his preser Meyer made it clear they were recruiting for one more spot. If this is true, well, read between the lines......

& for the illiterate this means.....?
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:21 pm

Ziner wrote:Not Ohio State related, but quite hilarious.

#Auburn signee Cassanova McKinzy says the lack of a @ChickfilA on campus played a factor in picking the Tigers over #Clemson.

I've been to Clemson.

Unless things have changed, There's quite a few chick-fil-a's within driving distance from Death Valley.

Plus they have a damn good place to get Chili Dogs near by, plus Fatz Calabash Chicken. And Mrytle Beach is one of the better places to go spring breaking at.

What an idiot.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby furls » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:25 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Meyer just said on the radio "we don't redshirt"

HA, no way that holds.

God, I hope that does hold. Redshirting at a school like tOSU is just a bad idea for nearly every position except QB. Most HS QB are in no way ready to contribute the first year and they need the time.

Most of the guys that a school like tOSU gives a redshirt too are guys that should have probably been replaced by better versions of themselves. Generally, they don't find it during their 5th year and turn it on. I guess maybe on the OL as well, but our best OL generally find their way into the 2 deep or get some playing time as true freshman.

I guess Travis Howard and Sabino (because of our lousy depth) are the only 2 guys I can think of that I am glad we redshirted in the last couple of years.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:31 pm

This year's class is just fucking stupidly good. You guys know that I have been all over Marcus since Meyer came on and offered him out of nowhere. My initial reaction was, "Why the fuck is he offering some 3* LB from NC." Then I saw that kid's highlight tape and I was blown away. Best LB highlight tape I have seen this year, no shit.

The kid has obviously had some very good coaching, he has excellent tackling form and sheds blocks better than any starter on tOSU's roster right now. I loved Dorian Bell's highlight tape, I thought it was amazing because he made so many plays all over the field, what is more amazing about Marcus' tape is how many plays he makes FROM HIS POSITION after completing his assignment. When you watch his tape again, watch and see how he sets the edge, maintains containment then pursues the ball. He is better at playing his position today that Etienne Sabino and Marcus already has the body for D1 football. The only thing that will keep him off the field next year is the problem most of these guys have in coming to the NCAA.... how long does it take him to pick up pass coverage? Not really a HS LB problem, definitely a NCAAF LB problem and even moreso in the NFL.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:33 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:33 pm

To think that tOSU will add either (or both of) Neal or Diggs is stunning. This class is already freaking awesome, those two would make it other worldly.

Can you believe Meyer got this done in just 2 months? Just 2 months ago the 2012 class was going to basically be a throwaway with a couple of contributors, now it looks like it will eclipse last year's excellent class. Unbelievable.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena