Text Size

College Sports Arena

Consolidated 2012 Recruiting Post

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Consolidated 2012 Recruiting Post

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:39 pm

It isn't there on your IPAD because one of Steve Jobs parting gifts to the world was refusing to let Adobe Flash run on his products (he essentially killed the company).

That said, every dipstick in the world knows this, you're the only moron that owns an IPAD and doesn't know that the flash video problems...

SMH
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:39 pm

peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Click Urban Meyer One on One in the video index at the bottom of the BIG GIANT VIDEO SECTION.

You couldn't find your way out of a paper bag.

Eat a bag of dicks. That whole section isn't there on my iPad for some reason. It goes straight to the Scores and Previews section.

You too Peek. You can eat a bag of dicks. And if there's only one bag you two have to share.

I note you did not refute that you routinely catch yourself in your zipper.

I rest my case.

Well, why is that strange? Doesn't everyone do that?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:It isn't there on your IPAD because one of Steve Jobs parting gifts to the world was refusing to let Adobe Flash run on his products (he essentially killed the company).

That said, every dipstick in the world knows this, you're the only moron that owns an IPAD and doesn't know that the flash video problems...

SMH

I know about Adobe Flash dickhead.

10TV should use one of those other fuckin ones.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:59 am

DaVonte Neal to Notre Dame.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby furls » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:43 am

Something fishy with Neal, glad he is elsewhere.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 am

motherscratcher wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:It isn't there on your IPAD because one of Steve Jobs parting gifts to the world was refusing to let Adobe Flash run on his products (he essentially killed the company).

SMH

I know about Adobe Flash dickhead.

10TV should use one of those other fuckin ones.

Fuck you, shitdick. 10TV has Jerry Revish, and Jerry Revish is the news master of the universe.

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:55 am

furls wrote:Something fishy with Neal, glad he is elsewhere.

Yeah, too much smoke to know exactly what caused Urban to back-off and refuse his commit after being willing to take it, but enough smoke to know something was way out of whack with the kid and the dad.

This is the recruitment Peeks should have been moralizing and stomping about, because it got real bad, like bad enough for Urban to back the eff out and refusal a commit.

Instead we could to read him moralizing about Diggs taking his visit to Maryland after signing day (when LOI's aren't even actually due until April 1)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:27 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
furls wrote:Something fishy with Neal, glad he is elsewhere.

Yeah, too much smoke to know exactly what caused Urban to back-off and refuse his commit after being willing to take it, but enough smoke to know something was way out of whack with the kid and the dad.

This is the recruitment Peeks should have been moralizing and stomping about, because it got real bad, like bad enough for Urban to back the eff out and refusal a commit.

Instead we could to read him moralizing about Diggs taking his visit to Maryland after signing day (when LOI's aren't even actually due until April 1)

Yawn. He lives a Colt McCoy throw from there. He knew where he was going and went all Whitney Houston. And you're an NBA fan Skipper. You get your nuts off on the 'Look at Me- Weeeeeeee!!!!!!' guys.

I don't.

"Moralizing"... Awesome. Tell me what a bad man Dan Gilbert is again... ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:27 pm

Funny you should mention Neal and "smoke" in the same post. From what I hear, that was the issue on his visit to Columbus, and it's what ended Meyer's interest in the kid.

A kid who postpones his decision beyond signing day is not automatically, or necessarily, an attention whore. NLOID is the first day a kid can commit....that's all it is. All kinds of things...from winter sports commitments to official visit schedules can get in the way of a signing day decision. There is no terrible stigma attached to a kid who doesn't commit on Day One.

That said, eO, save your breath trying to explain that to Peeker. I have gone to great lengths to show him that his No. 1 bete noire, Terrelle Pryor's delayed decision was not something of his own choosing...that it was forced on him by a self-interested and largely absentee father who was getting love from PSU at the time, and threatened to refuse to sign his LOI if he didn't give PSU a second look. That he still maintains that he knows the real reason Pryor delayed tells I wasted my time.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:33 pm

danwismar wrote:Funny you should mention Neal and "smoke" in the same post. From what I hear, that was the issue on his visit to Columbus, and it's what ended Meyer's interest in the kid.

A kid who postpones his decision beyond signing day is not automatically, or necessarily, an attention whore. NLOID is the first day a kid can commit....that's all it is. All kinds of things...from winter sports commitments to official visit schedules can get in the way of a signing day decision. There is no terrible stigma attached to a kid who doesn't commit on Day One.

That said, eO, save your breath trying to explain that to Peeker. I have gone to great lengths to show him that his No. 1 bete noire, Terrelle Pryor's delayed decision was not something of his own choosing...that it was forced on him by a self-interested and largely absentee father who was getting love from PSU at the time, and threatened to refuse to sign his LOI if he didn't give PSU a second look. That he still maintains that he knows the real reason Pryor delayed tells I wasted my time.

Bwahhhh!!!!!

Thanks for the attempted education. I was waaay off on my Pryor read. :lmfao:

And I'm glad Diggs finally got to see UMD after signing day given the lack of familiarity he had with it before then. :clap:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Anyhow, Peekers "post signing day but before the signing deadline" bigotry aside.....

Highlights of Southward, the WR from Florida that know one knows anything about!

http://sunshinepreps.net/index.php?opti ... nsouthward
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Attention Whore:

Jan. 5, 2008: Pryor earns MVP honors at the U.S. Army All-American Game, rushing for 79 yards and a touchdown and passing for 76 yards and another score.

"They were bigger and faster, all Division I players on the field," Pryor said. "It was completely different."

A sidebar develops when Pryor reacts to fellow All-American Patrick Johnson committing to LSU during the game.

"Maybe if LSU had recruited me, I would have been with [Patrick]," Pryor said.

Attention Whore:

Jan. 31, 2008: Pryor wavers on his decision to decide, telling the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, "It's 50-50 that I'll push things back."

Attention Whore: Seriously, going forth with a press conference to announce you'll have another press conference... whatever)

Feb. 6, 2008: On national signing day when almost every national letter of intent is inked, Pryor doesn't cancel his news conference. However, in front of a national television audience and a throng of reporters, he announces he needs more time to make his decision.

Attention Whore:

March 15, 2008: Pryor nets his second Pennsylvania state title in three months, scoring 23 points and grabbing eight rebounds in Jeannette's 76-72 overtime win over Strawberry Mansion.

He tells The Associated Press after the game, "Next week, I'm going to say the school I'm going to, sign it, and get it over with." He also says he is down to two schools, though he won't specify which ones.

March 18, 2008: Pryor sets a news conference for noon on Wednesday, March 19.

March 19, 2008: Pryor announces he will play his college football at Ohio State.

Now, based on what we saw then and based on what we know now, was Terrelle Pryor an attention whore?

I say yes. I said yes back in February of 2008. Was I off?

W.C. Fields would have hated Terrelle Pryor.

We all understand the fact that Pryor is an 18 year-old kid with all eyes on him as he narrows his college choices and makes his decision on February 6th. And we also understand that he may never be in this position again. A position where people actually care about what he's doing, saying or thinking.

But damn. This kid has done just about everything humanly possible short of doing 6 weeks on ‘Celebrity Rehab' to call attention to himself. The 6'6", 225lb consensus #1 high school football senior is milking this college decision for every single moment it's worth. He has press conferences about upcoming press conferences and announcements that he has not decided when he'll make his announcement.

Just shut up already. Please.

Pick your school on your own timetable. That's fine. That's your right. Just let us know when you know. Otherwise, you're not important enough for us to care what you're thinking or doing. And go ahead and involve Charlie Batch to help. That too is your right. Personally, I'd go with a dad, brother or uncle if I was searching for a role model or confidante, but hey, if a mediocre career NFL back up has your ear, run with it kid. Just no need to tell us or expect us to give a rat's ass about the mentoring process. You're making it really, really hard for people to like you. Even if you end up at Ohio State it's going to be hard to like you. Not to mention trust you. The program does not need a ‘me first' glory hound running the offense. And that's how you're coming off; as a diva who craves every bit of attention and adulation she can get.

All the theatrics and drama and interviews leading up to February 6th may not end then either. Reports are that Pryor may delay his decision beyond February 6th so he can take a visit to Oregon and waste even more people's time and money.

"I'd say it's about 50-50 that I'll push things back," Pryor said.

So the kid who doesn't think he'd be happy playing in Happy Valley, in his home state mind you, because of it's rural campus setting, is now jetting off to the chic Northwest and the cosmopolitan sprawl of Oregon to see if he'd like Happy Valley if it was 3,000 miles further west.

Live it up kid. The time is fast approaching when you're nothing but another green freshman at whatever school you end up at getting your ass handed to you in spring drills. Here's to you finding a little humility on one of the 12-15 campuses still in the running for your services.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Oh...Pryor never did go out to Oregon for one of those visits that delayed his decision but didn't cancel a press conference and Pryor grew up 2 hours and 10 minutes from State College.

Farther than Diggs lived from UMD but still...

And signing afterward isn't the issue. It's going out of your way like Diggs and Pryor did to make sure you have your special moment in the sun.

I'm pretty effing comfortable with my pre-snap read on tpeezy2 Dan. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:35 pm

You forgot "University of Ohio State".
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Notice I didn't say TP wasn't an attention whore, Peeks. I made two points:

a)Waiting till after signing day doesn't necessarily make a player an attention whore.

b)Pryor's delay was not something he wanted to do...it was imposed on him by family, whose buy-in he needed to sign his LOI. (As if the No.1 recruit in the nation would have lacked for attention had he been in a position to sign on signing day.)

That's all. Beyond that I have no interest in going down the Pryor road with you. I have long since acknowledged that your predictions about the harm he would bring to OSU were spot on...and that the benefit of the doubt I was habitually inclined to grant him was probably misplaced.

As usual, all your points are well-taken.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:49 pm

danwismar wrote:Notice I didn't say TP wasn't an attention whore, Peeks. I made two points:

a)Waiting till after signing day doesn't necessarily make a player an attention whore.

True. But I'd say the percentages of the Top 150 recruits who sign after Signing Day favor 'attention whore' as opposed to 'truly conflicted' after 2 years of having their asses kissed. And when the excuse is visiting the campus they grew up on or closest to after those two years? Nuh uh. Ymmv.

b)Pryor's delay was not something he wanted to do...it was imposed on him by family, whose buy-in he needed to sign his LOI. (As if the No.1 recruit in the nation would have lacked for attention had he been in a position to sign on signing day.)

Please. The stage was all his from NSD right up til the time he got the name of the school wrong. For nearly six glorious weeks

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Guys that have two hours presentations ending in leading their teammates in a chant to declare their school are pretty big attention whores too. Not sure how doing so on February 2nd is different than doing it on February 1st.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:34 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Guys that have two hours presentations ending in leading their teammates in a chant to declare their school are pretty big attention whores too.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Not sure how doing so on February 2nd is different than doing it on February 1st.

Umm...Yes you do. Unless you're going specifically for obtuse. Especially when it turns into ten days or 5 weeks later. :tfh:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby furls » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:57 pm

I heard the Neal "smoke" rumors and while they may be true I am not buying them as the reason for the schollie refusal. If that had been the basis, I am not sure that Meyer would have flown to AZ later to visit the kid in his house. My prediction is that Daddy Neal was looking for an arrangement that would help him move out to OH so he could be close to his son. I am not sure that a little weed would be enough to completely sour Meyer on a guy that he had to have a week prior.. there has to be more. Guys like Meyer think they can make a difference.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Southward's senior highlights are excellent. I wouldn't be surprised to see this group of WRs produce a couple of stars, and I could see it being any of the three... Thomas, Southward or Frank E.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:36 pm

peeker643 wrote:
danwismar wrote:Notice I didn't say TP wasn't an attention whore, Peeks. I made two points:

True. But I'd say the percentages of the Top 150 recruits who sign after Signing Day favor 'attention whore' as opposed to 'truly conflicted' after 2 years of having their asses kissed. And when the excuse is visiting the campus they grew up on or closest to after those two years? Nuh uh. Ymmv.

Please. The stage was all his from NSD right up til the time he got the name of the school wrong. For nearly six glorious weeks

Beat this dead horse all you like Peeks. The fact that he delayed in deference to his father's wishes is really beyond dispute among those who were paying attention. You have plenty of stuff to flog TP about ad infinitum. This one's bogus.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:41 pm

furls wrote:Southward's senior highlights are excellent. I wouldn't be surprised to see this group of WRs produce a couple of stars, and I could see it being any of the three... Thomas, Southward or Frank E.

Watched this film yesterday...was struck by how strong the kid is, and how aggressive he is after the catch. Looks like the speed is adequate, not great...but makes up for it with great hands and RAC ability. Better than a lot of kids as far as instincts in the open field...cutbacks, reversing direction, etc. He plays bigger than his physical stats.

danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:24 pm

danwismar wrote:Beat this dead horse all you like Peeks. The fact that he delayed in deference to his father's wishes is really beyond dispute among those who were paying attention. You have plenty of stuff to flog TP about ad infinitum. This one's bogus.

Fair enough. If Papa Pryor couldn't get this shit straight in the two(+) years his kid was being recruited and had to extend it weeks beyond everyone else while tpeezy2 actually went on with a press conference to announce his next press conference then I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

We'll agree to disagree because I'm not buying it now any more than I did then. Not that it means a thing at this point.

Ha! King Pryor....awesome...Just can't get enough of that cat..

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby furls » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 pm

danwismar wrote:
furls wrote:Southward's senior highlights are excellent. I wouldn't be surprised to see this group of WRs produce a couple of stars, and I could see it being any of the three... Thomas, Southward or Frank E.

Watched this film yesterday...was struck by how strong the kid is, and how aggressive he is after the catch. Looks like the speed is adequate, not great...but makes up for it with great hands and RAC ability. Better than a lot of kids as far as instincts in the open field...cutbacks, reversing direction, etc. He plays bigger than his physical stats.

Dan,

I see very good speed in the film, not Stephon Diggs 4.4 speed, but he had solid speed. When I watch the film, I see him out run some good angles against excellent competition. It is usually hard to really gauge speed in those videos. Here are two of the tricks that I use (I learned them both from Duane Long):

1. Watch the secondary pick the fastest guy, see how your guy fairs against the fastest guy in the secondary. Pay attention to the angles and how the player beats them.

2. The two stepper. Sometimes guys don't seem that fast because they are long striders. Watch out for the two stepper, the guy that covers 5 yards in two steps. He seems slower than he really is. TPeezy is the classic example of the two stepper, he never looked like he was running fast, but he was covering a TON of ground with each step.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:09 pm

I watched a playoff game on Brighthouse Sports, and one thing that struck me about Southward was that he seemed to have a very strong physical presence on the field. Meaning outside of the highlights we get on youtube, he just seemed bigger-faster-stronger as you'd expect for a D1 recruit in the state playoffs, but I really liked how hard the kid ran. Also when not involved in a pass play he was seen a few times manhandling defensive backs.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena