Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU vs. Illinois

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU vs. Illinois

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:19 am

Ohio State's talent is not as bad as their 3-3 record indicates; Illinois is not as good as their 6-0 record indicates, but their team is up for this game.

I like the Bucks to win in surprisingly easy fashion (enough to make the deluded 15%) think that this is a BCS bowl caliber team and that Luke Fickell and company finally have it together. Laughable.

In the end, this is another mediocre Illinois team and although Illinois always plays tOSU tough, I'll take the Bucks in a game that never really feels close, 31-17
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: OSU vs. Illinois

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:36 pm

So I am watching scUM vs. MSU and a question popped into my head, how the hell is scUM ranked 11? How can anyone that has actually watched them play this year think that they are a top 25 team? They are terrible. The offense is almost as bad as OSU's and the Defense is considerably worse.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:21 pm

furls wrote:Ohio State's talent is not as bad as their 3-3 record indicates; Illinois is not as good as their 6-0 record indicates, but their team is up for this game.

I like the Bucks to win in surprisingly easy fashion (enough to make the deluded 15%) think that this is a BCS bowl caliber team and that Luke Fickell and company finally have it together. Laughable.

In the end, this is another mediocre Illinois team and although Illinois always plays tOSU tough, I'll take the Bucks in a game that never really feels close, 31-17

Perhaps you failed to take into account that tOSU is playing under throwback rules and the forward pass is not allowed.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:33 pm

This is one of the worst called games that I have ever seen. This is as bad as the MSU game. Screen pass please? How bout we help brax out and call some slants and easy short passes. Every play they are trying rignt now (aside from the RB run plays) takes so long to develop in the backfield that there are 4 guys back there.

Enough solomon thomas too, that guy sucks, nice 15 yard roughing penalty douche.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Is this asshole seriously going to try to take a 3-0 lead into the locker room?

They started this drive with nearly 3mins left.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:02 pm

So the defense in general is pretty good and it is the only reason this team was not depants by Nebraska, MSU and now Illinois. With an average D they are losing this game by 2-3 TDs at the half.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:05 pm

1906 St. Louis Post-Dispatch photograph of Brad Robinson, who threw the first legal forward pass

Just in case Fickell lurks here at halftime - the forward pass was legalized in 1906.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby daddywags » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Miller is just hurrying every pass. He needed to redshirt. But he has potential. The receiver on that last play was down before he leaned over the first down mark. I thought they reviewed close NCAA plays?
daddywags

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:45 pm

OSU is winning this game in spite of its offense. About 1/2 of Herron's yards are from vision, not the call. If I didn't love tOSU I am not sure that I could watch this. The football is unwatchable when the OSU O is on the field.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby BruceK » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:24 pm

Well, at least Luke can outcoach Ron Zook.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:03 pm

Big win? Not if it's Illinois.

Regardless of the wind, pathetic.

I hope you dudes took OSU @-3. If I didn't have a football game, a final and a wedding in the same day I'd have been all over that.

Really I just drank a bunch and it's only 8
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:03 pm

You know, I'm just a schmuk at the keyboard, while Ron Zook gets paid millions to coach major college football. He's doing it and I'm not, cause he'a a hell of a lot more qualified.

That being said, it's simply amazing to watch a guy who has dedicated his life to coaching football, seemingly be unaware, after all these years, of how to calculate the scenarios available to him to win a game. Good holy Christ....if I'm AD there, I gotta be callin' that guy into the office and ask him what he's thinkin' bypassing the field goal. If nothing else, I gotta hear the rationale.

The Zooker.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:25 am

Right after the fourth down incompletion, they showed the fans in the stands - they weren't angry, they had more of a WTF? look on their face - they couldn't figure out his strategy either.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:57 am

Very impressed with Miller's completion-TD ratio. Kid's really coming on there.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:09 pm

It's clear to me at this point in the season that OSU is the best 3-loss team in the country. Or if Wisky wins in two weeks, perhaps the best 4-loss team?

:nanner: :nanner:
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Jim Bollman set football back 60 years with that game plan (if he had one).

In all seriousness, he actually pretty much nailed it, but he should've put some screens in there. I loathe him, but I will give him props on this one. Illinois has two hyper aggressive DE's. In rewatching the game, the lead draws were the perfect call. The DE's were getting so far up field that they were making the holes for the OSU line as long as the line allowed it by pass blocking. It was great.

Strangely, Illinois' DEs never stopped running up field. Fickell and Bollman finally found a coaching staff that is worse at mid game adjustments than they are.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby swerb » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:07 pm

furls wrote:Jim Bollman set football back 60 years with that game plan (if he had one).

In all seriousness, he actually pretty much nailed it, but he should've put some screens in there. I loathe him, but I will give him props on this one. Illinois has two hyper aggressive DE's. In rewatching the game, the lead draws were the perfect call. The DE's were getting so far up field that they were making the holes for the OSU line as long as the line allowed it by pass blocking. It was great.

Strangely, Illinois' DEs never stopped running up field. Fickell and Bollman finally found a coaching staff that is worse at mid game adjustments than they are.

Exactly.

If that game wasn't all the evidence you needed to can Zook and his crew, I don't know what is.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to College Sports Arena