Text Size

College Sports Arena

Berry

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Berry

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Just saw that Fickel said at his press conference that Berry can earn halfback carries by exceling at special teams, which is really a confusing if not stupid statement.

Honest question, why hasn't this kid just transfered?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Berry

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Most of the writers who cover the team are scratching their heads the same way you are, EO....not so much asking why he hasn't transferred....just why the coaching staff is so hesitant to give him more playing time from scrimmage, given the generally positive results he's given them in the limited time he's received. All indications are he likes it at OSU, and he hasn't been a discipline problem or an attitude problem as far as anyone can tell from outside the program. My own take is that he has already "earned" his carries from scrimmage with his special teams performances last year. He shouldn't have to prove himself any more than he already has.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby swerb » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Urban Meyer would have him taking direct snaps out of the spread. Just sayin'.

I hope I'm wrong on Fickell. But I don't think I am.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:38 pm

swerb wrote:Urban Meyer would have him taking direct snaps out of the spread. Just sayin'.

What about joint a Fickell-Shurmur death watch? - HC that get whacked after fewest games wins.

BTW, can I play?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Fickell has an uphill battle, but we've known that from the moment that Tress stepped down.

Paddy, on the other hand,is our boy for 3 years minimum. Unless something drastic or unprecedented happens. He's Holmgren's boy. That makes him ours. We can only hope he shows some, um, improvement from his first game.

As far as Berry is concerned, it really makes no sense that he can't see the field. With Hyde unable to find a hole and Smith's diet of buttered popcorn it makes no sense not to get a potential playmaker the ball.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:33 pm

FWIW Dan, my comment on why hasn't he transferred was less an anger thing than disbelief that someone who has made the most of their limited opportunities would sit by forever being ignored for reasons unknown.

And seriously, this "Work Hard On Special Teams To Play RB" quote is one of the least logical things I've heard in awhile.

I mean isn't that just code for "he's not getting more carries"
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:46 pm

swerb wrote:Urban Meyer would have him taking direct snaps out of the spread. Just sayin'.

FWIW: I really feel bad for Fickel in that he was "hired" so late in the process he won't even have a chance to hire his own "staff."

We may never know who his preferred OC would have been. Because fuck I can't believe it would have been... well... the coach of the undeniably weakest performing unit on the team year in and year out.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Just fucking put Berry in at RB. You recruit these Florida speed guys, but never use them.

Play Miller and Berry or go fuck yourself.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby ole uncle charle » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:26 pm

Play Miller and Berry or go fuck yourself

Can I follow you on twitter?
ole uncle charle

Unread postby ole uncle charle » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Play Miller and Berry or go fuck yourself

Can I follow you on twitter?
ole uncle charle

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:38 pm

danwismar wrote:Most of the writers who cover the team are scratching their heads the same way you are, EO....not so much asking why he hasn't transferred....just why the coaching staff is so hesitant to give him more playing time from scrimmage, given the generally positive results he's given them in the limited time he's received. All indications are he likes it at OSU, and he hasn't been a discipline problem or an attitude problem as far as anyone can tell from outside the program. My own take is that he has already "earned" his carries from scrimmage with his special teams performances last year. He shouldn't have to prove himself any more than he already has.

And his 8+ ypc in 30+ carries last year. I would say that he has already proven himself more than Hyde or Smith.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:11 pm

At least you can tell Smith is oozing star potential.

I don't see anything beyond a meh ceiling for Hyde (and even though you maybe could have said the same about Boom, I distinctly remember wanting him to get the ball more because he still showed really solid skills)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:07 am

e0y2e3 wrote:At least you can tell Smith is oozing star potential.

I don't see anything beyond a meh ceiling for Hyde (and even though you maybe could have said the same about Boom, I distinctly remember wanting him to get the ball more because he still showed really solid skills)

Which Smith, Rod or Devin? Both look like they will be good ones. Devin Smith is ready this year, Rod.... hopefully next year. Rod clearly has the higher ceiling, you can see it this early.

He was a bit overrated coming into the season, he was nearly built up to Beanie Wells level coming into the season, he is obviously not Beanie Wells but hopefully he can stay healthy.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:33 pm

I heard someone say they saw Urban Meyer in Bill Cowher's favorite Strongsville restaurant.

If Fickell's balls don't drop before the end of the season, sign me up for the ultimate FU to E$PN: Pirate Mike.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:I heard someone say they saw Urban Meyer in Bill Cowher's favorite Strongsville restaurant.

If Fickell's balls don't drop before the end of the season, sign me up for the ultimate FU to E$PN: Pirate Mike.

Holy shitballs...I was thinking about Leach for the job the other day. Not sure if his style would play in the B1G, but it would sure as hell be interesting.

And ESPN would have to start a whole new channel devoted entirely to the Buckeyes. All content contributed by Forde, May, Bayless, and James. Dohrmann would do a lot of interviews.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Return to College Sports Arena