Text Size

College Sports Arena

Nate Ebner - Special Teamer

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Nate Ebner - Special Teamer

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:42 am

It was hard to miss Nate Ebner on Saturday. #34 was making almost every tackle on both kickoff and punt coverage. He had a sack late in the game, and came very close to blocking an Akron punt.

The announcers mentioned him a few times...that he was a walk-on who never played H.S. football...was a rugby player at OSU (Fickell has since awarded him a scholarship...and he sure earned it vs Akron.)

This video makes him even easier to like....the story of how his dad was murdered in his place of business in a robbery attempt, and the motto that has driven him ever since.

I was one of several folks in here singling him out for criticism last year...(mostly just for being a walk-on playing on a coverage team that looked very bad at times....against Miami and Wisconsin especially). But he played like a freaking demon Saturday...and he looks much bigger and stronger and faster this year somehow...anyway...watch the video...

"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Nate Ebner - Special Teamer

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:01 pm

I was guilty of saying his name in vain a few times last year. In any case, there are lots of sad/tragic stories about these guys (read Troy Smith's if you are interested) and it is really easy to sit back and call them all kinds of things on message boards and in your home, but they are in fact human beings. They are someone's son/uncle/brother and sometimes even father. Moreover, none of these guys wakes up on Saturday morning and says, "How am I going to fuck up the game to ruin Furls' day today" (only my wife does that). I try to keep that in mind when I post/write, but sometimes you need to see an interview like this to remind yourself.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena