Text Size

College Sports Arena

Akron-Ohio State Game Notes

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Akron-Ohio State Game Notes

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:57 pm

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports ... 11aae.html

above link to official OSU football site game notes for Akron game...with link to full pdf document of Akron-OSU info, depth chart, etc.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Akron-Ohio State Game Notes

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:02 pm

A few depth chart comments: (scroll to p. 9 of the pdf linked at above link)

backup O-Line isn't quite as scary as what you see on the depth chart (with 3 true freshmen and two walk-ons)but almost...That's because Adams (5-gamer) and Corey Linsley (2-gamer) are suspended and thus not on the chart. Of course that doesn't help for at least two games...

Bradley Roby is the starting boundary CB, opposite Travis Howard, as expected. Dominic Clarke listed as Howard's backup...freshman Doran Grant behind Roby.

Michael Bennett is in the 2-deep at DT...Evan Spencer is backup at WR instead of Devin Smith...a mild surprise. JT Moore backing up Nate Williams at Leo, as expected.

Evan Blankenship is the backup at NG behind Garrett Goebel. (he's a little known senior converted OG)

Scholarship freshman long-snapper Bryce Haynes 2nd string behind walk-on George Makrides.

Philly Brown and Verlon Reed starting WR's, with Chris Fields listed as backup...in reality, Fields will be the slot receiver with the 1's

Jordan Hall listed as starting RB, with Carlos Hyde "OR" Rod Smith listed as the backup. Berry not yet ready (hamstring) apparently.

Bauserman OR Braxton Miller as starting QB. Interesting use of the OR instead of a clear 1 and 2.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:51 pm

I think that they probably want Haynes to beef up a little bit before he gets the long-snapper job. From what everyone's said, kid nails the snap, he's just skinnier then I am. A year of weight training and diet should fix that.

Braxton will have his set of plays throughout the game, I'm sure. As he gets more of a hold of the offense, I would not be surprised to see him start by the time conference games begin.

Other things of note (from my side): Saturday is the start of the celebration of the 75th anniversary of Script Ohio (which was first officially performed in 1936 under Eugene J. Weigel). To commemorate this event, the OSUMB Alumni are doing three full Script Ohio's, with the regular band also performing a full script (usually for the Alumni Band game it's 2 full (192 member) scripts with the Alumni Band and then 2 half (112 member) scripts with the regular band). It'll be the first time ever with 4 full scripts, with nearly 800 people (4x192) in them. I'll be in the "i" on the east side, facing away from the press box.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Spin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:55 am

There are a lot of question marks with this team, but this isn't the same Akron team that held the Bucks to 7 first half points a few years ago. This is a one win team in the beginning stage of rebuilding, and should be a good tune-up for the Bucks.

Toledo, on the other hand, loves to upset Big Ten teams, and probably wished they drew the Buckeyes on their first game with the new/intereim HC and QB, and starters suspended. The Bucks will be ready for them in game two.

I can't see them losing more than 4-5 games, and predict a 9 win season. I wouldn't be surprised if they win 10.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:40 am

Spin wrote:There are a lot of question marks with this team, but this isn't the same Akron team that held the Bucks to 7 first half points a few years ago. This is a one win team in the beginning stage of rebuilding, and should be a good tune-up for the Bucks.

Toledo, on the other hand, loves to upset Big Ten teams, and probably wished they drew the Buckeyes on their first game with the new/intereim HC and QB, and starters suspended. The Bucks will be ready for them in game two.

I can't see them losing more than 4-5 games, and predict a 9 win season. I wouldn't be surprised if they win 10.

Real question is, Who's going to get beat up more this week, the Flashes or Zips?

My thinking is the Flashes, half holding out hope that Saban takes it easy on his alma mater, but I doubt it.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:20 am

Triple-S wrote:Real question is, Who's going to get beat up more this week, the Flashes or Zips?

My thinking is the Flashes, half holding out hope that Saban takes it easy on his alma mater, but I doubt it.

Depends if Fickell wants to send a message or not. If he wants to show that he'll run it up and be that prick that everyone wanted Tressel to be or be that guy who will go through the progressions and cover, but not entirely embarrass.

One of my favorite Tressel moments last year is when they were playing Eastern Michigan and that guy for EMU lit up the punt returner on a fair catch. Tressel then hung 73 on them.

I doubt OSU blows this game wide open in a 40-50 point gap because they have so many players that they need to give touches to and give snaps on D.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Spin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:51 pm

NCAA just sat a bunch of Miami players and they can't play until they serve their suspensions and pay back what they received.

Yes I'm thinking 9 wins for the Bucks...
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:53 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
One of my favorite Tressel moments last year is when they were playing Eastern Michigan and that guy for EMU lit up the punt returner on a fair catch. Tressel then hung 73 on them.

That's nothing compared to your mascot kicking Brutus' ass in the endzone.
Spin

Return to College Sports Arena