Text Size

College Sports Arena

Irrational Exuberance (scUM edition)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Irrational Exuberance (scUM edition)

Unread postby furls » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Stealing one of my favorite phrases from Alan Greenspan. Am I the only one enjoying the irrational excitement of scUM fans this year? They love them some Wolverines, they are as optimistic as Browns fans talking about the 2012 draft and their 1st rounder that will finally get them to .500.

Its great. They landed a couple of good Ohio State grade recruits (Strobel and Kalis) in a heads up recruiting battle with tOSU, got a new head coach and now they are convinced that all the ills of the DickRod Era are gone for good. Man it is amazing.

Unfortunately for scUM Kalis and Strobel will not don the ugly helmets for another year and this year's rendition of the skunkbears is basically the same lousy set of players from last year with a new system, one that does not match their skill sets.

Rodriguez finally got his people in place, just as he was getting his pink slip, and I think we all saw that his system will get him Big East championships, but it didn't fly in the B1G. So now Hoke has DickRod's undersized offense (complete with inaccurate, noodle armed running back masquerading as a QB) and 3-3-5 other side of the ball (I hesitate to call anyone that gave up 458 pts, 36ppg, a defense). This team is just not good. As I look down their schedule for 2011 I cannot see what they are so excited about.

vs. WMU =win
vs. ND =loss
Vs. EMU =win
vs. SDSU =win
vs. Minny =win
@NW =loss
@MSU =loss
vs. Purdue =win
@ Iowa =loss
@ Illinois =loss
vs. Nebraska=loss
vs. tOSU =loss

I see scUM at 5-7 this year, although I could see them losing to Purdue or SDSU or beating Illinois or NW. So I would say best case, 7-5... worst case 3-9.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Irrational Exuberance (scUM edition)

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:56 am

furls wrote:Stealing one of my favorite phrases from Alan Greenspan. Am I the only one enjoying the irrational excitement of scUM fans this year? They love them some Wolverines, they are as optimistic as Browns fans talking about the 2012 draft and their 1st rounder that will finally get them to .500.

Its great. They landed a couple of good Ohio State grade recruits (Strobel and Kalis) in a heads up recruiting battle with tOSU, got a new head coach and now they are convinced that all the ills of the DickRod Era are gone for good. Man it is amazing.

Unfortunately for scUM Kalis and Strobel will not don the ugly helmets for another year and this year's rendition of the skunkbears is basically the same lousy set of players from last year with a new system, one that does not match their skill sets.

Rodriguez finally got his people in place, just as he was getting his pink slip, and I think we all saw that his system will get him Big East championships, but it didn't fly in the B1G. So now Hoke has DickRod's undersized offense (complete with inaccurate, noodle armed running back masquerading as a QB) and 3-3-5 other side of the ball (I hesitate to call anyone that gave up 458 pts, 36ppg, a defense). This team is just not good. As I look down their schedule for 2011 I cannot see what they are so excited about.

vs. WMU =win
vs. ND =loss
Vs. EMU =win
vs. SDSU =win
vs. Minny =win
@NW =loss
@MSU =loss
vs. Purdue =win
@ Iowa =loss
@ Illinois =loss
vs. Nebraska=loss
vs. tOSU =loss

I see scUM at 5-7 this year, although I could see them losing to Purdue or SDSU or beating Illinois or NW. So I would say best case, 7-5... worst case 3-9.

It's not so much excitement for this year as happiness/relief that things are headed in the right direction. Every fanbase has crazies but I think a lot of Michigan fans realize that the next two years will be a slog (particularly next year on a brutal schedule). But they wont collapse like Rich Rod's teams did, those were some historically bad defenses and Greg Mattison should at least coax an adequate performance out of them. I'm thinking 15 pedestrian combined wins in '11 and '12. But given the recruiting, I think our optimism for 2013 and beyond is pretty well founded.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:29 pm

You are one of the few that is realistic that scUM is at least 2 years (2013 at the earliest) away from relevance. scUM had a nice upswing this year, largely due to the issues at tOSU and hope in Hoke. In order for scUM to maintain that momentum they need to win, and they need continued uncertainty at tOSU. Personally, I think Hoke is scUMs last, best hope for relevance. 3 more years of bad performance + a subsequent rebuild will take scUM out forever, they cannot afford for Hoke to fail.

I am not sure that scUM will be able to keep that recruiting momentum. I have heard all about Hoke's sales pitch, "We are Michigan and we are back," and "Ohio (State University) is going to get sanctioned into the stone age." Now that it looks like tOSU might get out of this without even a scholarship reduction (let alone a post season ban) and the team is locked and reloaded, I don't think he will be able to cherry pick Ohio. His only card left, is coaching instability @ tOSU, but that should be resolved by 1 Jan (one way or another).

It will be interesting to see whether the recruiting momentum is still there following a 5-7 season while tOSU is back in the Rose/Fiesta/Cap One bowl.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:09 pm

I took 'em under 7 wins at +110. I figure they push or go 6-6 or worse. They're not an 8 win team with Denard dropping back and throwing like Hoke wants him to.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:27 pm

skatingtripods wrote:I took 'em under 7 wins at +110. I figure they push or go 6-6 or worse. They're not an 8 win team with Denard dropping back and throwing like Hoke wants him to.

Fact. I love scUM under 7 and tOSU over 9.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:13 pm

I can't see how they're better than the 4th best team in their division of the Big Ten...after MSU, Neb, and Iowa. They might be as good as Iowa, but Iowa has a softer schedule in-conference.

Mattison means their defense will be better-coached, but he can't do a talent transplant, like Furls said. If they somehow squeak by Notre Dame, they could be 5-0 before they play 4 of the next 5 on the road...then finish at Nebraska and at OSU. Only Big Ten road wins last year were Purdue and Indiana.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:41 pm

I think they could be worse than NW this year too... so that would make them 5th out of 6.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena