Text Size

College Sports Arena

Fickell, and the offense

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Fickell, and the offense

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:18 am

Should we be expecting any significant changes to what the offense looks like in terms of approach and play calling? Is he going to expedite his changes in an attempt to win the job long term or will he start off a bit slower and conservative to get his feet wet?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Fickell, and the offense

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:42 am

I think the roster lends itself to having to be run oriented.

Rookie QB, Very little XP at WR, Ridiculous talent at RB, and another rock solid defense. You do the math. I'm not sure trying to get cute with those pieces will help him win much.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Even before JT was ousted, spring ball suggested very conservative passing attack due to inexperience at QB and WR. Look for lots of throws to TE's and RB's. We saw it all spring.

A couple of notes: Reading tweets from OSU beat guys interviewing Fickell and Brewster today in Chicago...both guys suggested Andrew Norwell is probably your starting LT till Adams gets back. Brew says he expects Norwell to be all-conference before he's done at OSU.

Brewster also says Jack Mewhort is the favorite to start at LG, with Corey Linsley and Marcus Hall rotating or at least competing for the RG spot. Nothing terribly surprising there, but good to have suspicions confirmed. Should be a very good run-blocking line, barring injuries of course.

Orhian Johnson said today (again, per beat guys Brandon Castel, Marcus Hartman and Jeff Svoboda) that he expects CJ Barnett to be the other starter at safety with him. Says Corey Brown looks good as well, as does Jamie Wood. Safety play should be much better and deeper this year....(Christian Bryant and Tyler Moeller in there as well at the Star spot)
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:40 pm

The offense will be conservative, as usual, I just hop ethe play calling is significantly better. It is one thing to have a predictable offense, it is another thing altogether to have a predictable offense, and frankly OSU's offense has been horribly predictable for the last 3 years.

My son would watch in horror as I would predict a crap ton of plays prior to the snap based on down, distance and formation. If you watch the team close enough it wasn't that hard to figure out.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena