Text Size

College Sports Arena

Just for fun.....1969 Rose Bowl

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Just for fun.....1969 Rose Bowl

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Rex Kern....Jack Tatum....O.J. Simpson....

Lots of stuff I didn't remember...(I had just turned 16) Everyone who watched remembers O.J.'s 80-yard TD run in the first half, but I had forgotten his two crucial lost fumbles in the second half...plus the end zone interception he threw late in the game.

I also didn't remember that this tradition went back over 40 years. Early in the telecast Curt Gowdy says of the song the band is playing..."There's the song they play every game...Hurry Up, Sloopy". Classic.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: Just for fun.....1969 Rose Bowl

Unread postby furls » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Watch the hit Jack Tatum puts on OJ to prevent a TD. Simpson was never the same for the rest of the game. I have heard lots of OSU players from the super sophomores suggest that Tatum injured the Juice.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:40 pm

furls wrote:Watch the hit Jack Tatum puts on OJ to prevent a TD. Simpson was never the same for the rest of the game. I have heard lots of OSU players from the super sophomores suggest that Tatum injured the Juice.

Funny story...I actually ran into OJ at the W in Dallas a couple of years ago. I was in Dallas for a conference, and a few of us went out and somehow ended up at the W rooftop bar. About 10pm, in walks OJ, surrounded by tail. Unbelieveable how many girls were hanging on this guy. Anyway, a buddy and I decide we're going to go up and mess with him since we were pretty sure he didn't have a knife on him at the time. We walk up, he sticks his hand out and says "Hey guys, I'm OJ Simpson. Nice to meet you!" My friend Todd replies "Yeah, I know who you are. I was a big fan till that whole Nicole Brown thing."

Looking for a way out of what was a pretty ackward moment, Juice notices I have an OSU polo shirt on. He asks me if I'm and OSU fan, and I tell him yes, and one of my favorite moments from OSU history is when Jack Tatum knocked the shit out of him in the '69 Rose Bowl. At this point, Juice went back to talking to the myriad of girls who were there hanging on him.

Not as cool as playing touch football with Mitt Romney, but it was pretty funny at the time.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:58 am

You're now officially my hero, Al
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:02 am

Damn Al that is ballsy, and sweet.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Since AJ Pierzynsky grew up here in Orlando, you've inspired if I happen see that pecker-head bumping around town.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:17 pm

dmiles wrote:Since AJ Pierzynsky grew up here in Orlando, you've inspired if I happen see that pecker-head bumping around town.

I thought you lived in San Diego?

Orlando now?

Geezes christ, you might as well moved back to the shitty town on that shitty lake you grew up in.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Reminds me I need to change my location. I recall one of threads awhile back you hated Orlando, might have been the long college thread or you were stuck there on business for a while.

Definitely crap here compared to San Diego. I got nothing as far as a comeback this whole state is crap compared to SD, though I do appreciate the no-state tax and cost of living. My company moved, and I had probably a year to get something going and it was just dead out there at the time. Thanks to being a dumb ass borrowing money to attend 3rd rate MBA program, I had too big of a nut to stick around and work for peanuts.

It's really embarrassing on facebook when a few of my old "lake" friends think that I have "arrived" or because I live in Orlando. "How lucky".... That's when you know they haven't gotten out much.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Return to College Sports Arena