Text Size

College Sports Arena

NCAA tells Ohio State it finds no new violations

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

NCAA tells Ohio State it finds no new violations

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:02 pm

The NCAA notified Ohio State that it will not face charges of failing to appropriately monitor its football team, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
The NCAA has not uncovered any new, unreported violations during its investigation and says that ousted football coach Jim Tressel was the only university official aware of violations by his players and that he failed to report them.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110722/S ... al-control
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: NCAA tells Ohio State it finds no new violations

Unread postby furls » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:42 pm

This is the point that I have been trying to make since day one, all we have so far is some trinkets for tattoos and a head coach (fired) who lied about it. All the digging in Columbus has unearthed nothing else but unproven (unprovable?) allegations. The 3 months of mudslinging is going to amount to 2 years of probation, some individual suspensions and a fired head coach. I still wouldn't be surprised to see OSU end up with 10 scholarship reduction for 2 years (only able to have 80 scholarship athletes vice 85 for the next 2 years), but the key point is that the NCAA "substantially agrees" with tOSU.

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Article/ ... itor-32351
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Pryor running away and not having to answer for anything was a huge win for OSU in all of this.

Only a subpoena can get him to talk and that NCAA can't do that.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:06 pm

I am not dumb enough to think that Pryor was free and clear, there was plenty of smoke around TPeezy2's swag, enough for me to believe that there was probably a concealed fire. The reporting on it from ESPN was comical and actually probably did more to undermine the cause than to support it... 20-40K for autographs???? really?

Maybe they should've investigated further, got some better sources and more facts instead of prematurely reporting and causing everyone to basically "lawyer up."
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:38 pm

The outrage from national media types is already beginning....from Mark May (surprise!) to Dennis Dodd (who was in an indignant tweeting frenzy over this).

As Marcus Hartman said earlier today "I can't wait until I get a big national gig so I can stop wasting time on attention to detail"

Among national writers, only the recent Seth Mandel article a week or so ago seemed to "get it"....that this was not an LOIC or failure to monitor situation, and that OSU's self-imposed penalties, Tressel's firing and the player suspensions were both significant and reasonable penalties given the violations.

I suspect the outrage will last only a few more days (before it is overtaken by events farther south?)

---

Here are the relevant pdf's...first the NCAA report, and then the 139-page transcript of Tressel's Feb 8 interview. I haven't read it all yet (long day) but there is a lot of very interesting stuff there, as JT relates something of the number and nature of the "tips" he regularly received about players potentially getting into trouble...plus much more...

http://www.osu.edu/news/ncaadocs/pdf/case_summary.pdf

http://www.dispatch.com/wwwexportconten ... 39752x.pdf
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 pm

There are a lot of people out there that are pretty disappointed. They created a self-fellating cycle of news where each article, often written with sketchy sources like Doug Henton or complete disregard for any level of fact checking (Thad Gibson's $0 car or the other 26 car purchases by OSU athletes), just fed the next repeating article creating a cycle of news spin that has been unparalleled in sports since I started following them.

Frankly, a lot of these guys should be losing their jobs. If our libel laws were not so ridiculous ESPN and SI would be facing pretty serious law suits. Go and read these "journalist's" articles tomorrow and look for the level of personal disappointment, remember when journalists were supposed to at least pretend to be objective?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:56 pm

Wow no kidding Re:Mark May.

# Another gutless painless cowardly decision by the NCAA ! about 4 hours ago via MogoTXT

This must be this wk ends Joke the NCAA just cleared Ohio St of failing to monitor their football program HAHAHAHAHA typical for the NCAA about 5 hours ago via MogoTXT

What a disgrace and a pathetic excuse for a sports analyst in this day and age. I'm really hoping that he comes across a Drunk CDT and a legion of Buckeye fans one day in a Bar.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:01 am

furls wrote:Frankly, a lot of these guys should be losing their jobs. If our libel laws were not so ridiculous ESPN and SI would be facing pretty serious law suits. Go and read these "journalist's" articles tomorrow and look for the level of personal disappointment, remember when journalists were supposed to at least pretend to be objective?

Well and exactly.

I've seen more non-bias coverage of college football from the Big Ten Network, a place that's FUNDED by a major College Football Conference.

It's becoming more and more obvious that going to (good) blogs and hand picking who you want to listen to is the way to go at this point.

Triple-S

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:12 pm

a couple of good pieces at The O-Zone that I thought were worth sharing:

First one by Tony Gerdeman on the national media taking their well-deserved lumps:

http://the-ozone.net/football/2011/Tres ... raged.html

and the second by Brandon Castel after reading the Tressel interview, on JT's thinking after receiving the Cicero emails, and why he didn't report it.

http://the-ozone.net/football/2011/Tres ... lence.html
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Both great pieces. The first is absolutely on point. I was thinking about knocking the dust off an writing basically the same article for TCF. I have maintained on these boards for the last 3 months that this thing is ridiculous, all we have at the end of the day (following all the shoddy journalism, half truths and easily verifiable but not followed up stories) is 5 (now 6) guys got tattoos for trinkets.

Each of these "journalists" just wrote about what they read from some other guys opinion piece and caused this thing to spiral. Sure, there are some suspicious stories.... Talbott and Pryor probably has legs and was the only story to come out that made me say, "OH, Fuck." Strangely, no one really talks about that. To this day the most talked about stories are Pryor's loaners, the car deals (that the BMV proved the dealership made an average of 2,500 profit on) and SI's article that revealed 0 facts, yet all the sports writers can't stop worshiping that guys Pulitzer long enough to actually read it with any critical thought.

The second article is a bit sappy, and I am unsure how I really feel about Tressel's side of the story, parts of it ring a bit phony. In the end, he was in a very difficult position in which he had to protect the confidence of an attorney that now faces pretty serious ethical charges as a result of the tip while trying to do the right thing by the NCAA. In the end, he couldn't be faulted if he went to the NCAA/Compliance and said he knew something was wrong and the circumstances under which he had been tipped off without undermining the privacy of his source.

In the end, I think the NCAA would have left the situation un-investigated and left the Tat 5 eligible during the federal investigation and it probably would have gotten Tressel off the hook. Hindsight is 20/20 and Tressel chose wrong and it cost him ~20M, his professional reputation and a decade of his life's work. A price that is obviously not enough to deter other college coaches according to Pennis Dodd.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:41 am

One of the things that I think comes out in the transcript of the Tressel-NCAA interview is that of all the parties involved in the decision to let the Tat5 participate in the Sugar Bowl, Tressel was probably the least enthusiastic about the idea.

The national perception...fed by lazy media...is that OSU deserves punishment partly to make up for the fact that Tressel "allowed" these kids to play in the bowl game...as if it was his decision alone. He makes pretty clear in the interview that if it had been his decision alone, they probably wouldn't have played....but BCS people...the NCAA...Delany and the Big Ten....and even Bobby Petrino and Arkansas...all wanted the Buckeyes to be at full strength for the Sugar Bowl.

Tressel was afraid it would send the signal that there was no price to be paid for violating rules. He even approached one of the players after the decision was made to allow them to play, and suggested he should withdraw...because he suspected that player would not honor the promise they all made to JT before being allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl, that they would all come back in 2011 to face the music (suspensions). One assumes that player was Pryor, though I have nothing but speculation behind that assumption.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Actually I would not assume Pryor. The guy who was supposed to be hedging on the NFL big time in Dec. (and beyond) was Boom Herron. There were very strong rumors he was going after the regular season and after the bowl (even after making his promise). I firmly believe that Pryor knew that his key to the first round was this coming season.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:07 pm

Good point, Furls....and you're exactly right about rumors that Herron would go pro. I was just thinking that JT may have known at the time that there would be more to come out about Pryor, and that it would force him out of OSU.

danwismar

Unread postby pup » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:33 pm

Always thought Mike Adams was "that guy". Came in with big billing. Finally had a season of living up to it. Why take that chance of coming back? Very good chance he could have worked himself into the #1 LT in the draft, no?

It is very good there are no new violations. What has been done is what needed to be done. Suspend the Tat5, erase the wins from the ledger and allow the coach who lied through his teeth on multiple occasions to retire.

Now we can move on. How many days until Camp Urban starts? :hide:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:21 pm

pup wrote:Always thought Mike Adams was "that guy". Came in with big billing. Finally had a season of living up to it. Why take that chance of coming back? Very good chance he could have worked himself into the #1 LT in the draft, no?

It is very good there are no new violations. What has been done is what needed to be done. Suspend the Tat5, erase the wins from the ledger and allow the coach who lied through his teeth on multiple occasions to retire.

Now we can move on. How many days until Camp Urban starts? :hide:

I would be a big fan of Meyer coming to OSU, in all reality there really aren't that many good names out there for OSU to hire (assuming Fickell is one and done).

1. Meyer: Sure, I'd take him in a heartbeat.
2. Gruden: No thanks. Has the NFL experience, but college is a different game.
3. Pelini: His offenses at Nebraska are the only thing worse than OSU's.
4. Stoops (any of them): No thanks. Lots of reasons, but in general their teams underperform.
5. Peterson: Great gameday coach in BSU, but I am not sure that he could run a program like tOSU. It is a different world (Ohio Stadium's population is about the same as Idaho's).

Who's left? My hope is that Fickell has a great season and the Bucks can make the required effort to sign Meyer. If he comes... great. If not hopefully Fickell proves to be the guy.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:02 pm

As much as anyone likes Fickell, you have to admit that in an open competition, his resume wouldn't even get him an interview at OSU. Never been a stand-alone coordinator, let alone a head coach anywhere. The deck seems to be really stacked against him if the OSU Board of Directors is in charge of the selection process. His future will be decided by the emotional state and execution of his talented team this year...and, like Mike said above, possibly by Meyer's willingness to be the new guy...or not.

I've said it before...but Fickell looks like he could be the right guy at the wrong time.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Some guy named Aaron Torres...whom I have never heard of before (and is presumably not associated with OSU sports in any direct way) has written one of the most sensible and fact-based pieces on Tressel and the OSU scandals that I have seen from any national media figure. Great read.....

http://www.aarontorres-sports.com/artic ... state.html

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:37 pm

Read that earlier today. Reaffirms the points I have been making for months. This shit is ridiculous. That coupled with the Gerdeman (sp?) article on O-Zone pretty much explain the entire circus surrounding this story. There have only been about 5 new established facts reported since December.

1. Jim Tressel knew and lied.
2. Another player (as of yet unidentified and probably already suspended Dorian Bell) received free tatts.
3. Terrelle Pryor quit the Bucks and went pro.
4. Jim Tressel resigned and was later "retired."

and one other thing that I cannot think of.

The rest of it is a bunch of media guys smelling their own farts.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:40 pm

The University pretty much confirmed that Pryor refused to talk to the NCAA and would have been booted had he not left.

I honestly think the Henton report was true but there is no way to prove it. Either way, Pryor running away covered all that. And if there were proof I assume Yahoo would have found it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:04 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The University pretty much confirmed that Pryor refused to talk to the NCAA and would have been booted had he not left.

I honestly think the Henton report was true but there is no way to prove it. Either way, Pryor running away covered all that. And if there were proof I assume Yahoo would have found it.

I don't think the Henton report was true, but I think there were elements of truth to it. Did Talbott give TP some money for signatures? Probably, did he give him 20-40K? Doubtful. ESPN took some guesses by Henton and multiplied them out to make up that sensational number. Had they not extrapolated 20-40K and just reported the interview, it would have come off as more believable.

There is some pretty bad stuff here, but I am sure none of it is provable.

http://outkickthecoverage.com/julio-jon ... -suits.php

BTW, I love this new web site. I think this may be one of the scariest things for NCAAF in sports. Independent, well researched blogs. They may not have all the connections, but that lack of connections offers the freedom to report stories that others are afraid to. There are lots of tipsters out there, you don't necessarily need the sources to get the stories.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:29 pm

Hey furls or dan, let's say Buckeyes have a pretty good season, play well show signs on O and end up with 2 losses at most, typical bowl scenario, and then still go after Myer if he is on the market, what kind of message does that send Fickell if they don't land Myer?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby pup » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:24 am

FUDU wrote:Hey furls or dan, let's say Buckeyes have a pretty good season, play well show signs on O and end up with 2 losses at most, typical bowl scenario, and then still go after Myer if he is on the market, what kind of message does that send Fickell if they don't land Myer?

They will have Urban's answer long before "they go after him".

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:31 am

Fickell is a big boy. He knows OSU has to conduct a search and interview and hire the best possible coach for the program. All he can do is try to show over 12 or 13 games that he's that guy. But I don't think he's naive enough to think they won't be looking at other people...or that he might not be their first choice. Like I said above, if it were an open competition, he wouldn't even get an interview, based on his resume.

----+

Another O-Zone article from Brandon on Tressel and the Sugar Bowl decision:

http://www.the-ozone.net/football/2011/ ... rBowl.html

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:36 pm

First of all, Luke should be thankful for receiving any consideration after this season even if it is excellent (like you laid out). As Dan said, his resume as constructed today would not even get him an interview if they were searching for a coach today.

Second: Anything OSU did during a coaching search could easily be validated by "due diligence." OSU owes it to its enormous following to fill its vacancy with the most qualified coach it can find. Luke's one year audition, even at 14-0 with a NC, still demands due diligence although his case for the position is much stronger.

The difference between the permanent fill and Luke's fill now is that that the Bucks need to sign the next permanent coach to a 4 year deal to show stability. If you are going to make that kind of commitment you have to reduce your "beta" (risk factor) as low as possible. I am rooting for Luke, I would love to have a 37 year old fireball head coach, but I only want him if he can handle ALL ASPECTS of the OSU position (managing the staff, prepping the team, game planning, HANDLING THE MEDIA, keeping the players out of trouble, etc.). There will be guys available with a track record of doing all that; OSU owes it us to at least talk to them.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Excellent article here. Puts some more things into perspective.

http://aarontorres-sports.com/articles/ ... state.html
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:05 pm

furls wrote:First of all, Luke should be thankful for receiving any consideration after this season even if it is excellent (like you laid out). As Dan said, his resume as constructed today would not even get him an interview if they were searching for a coach today.

Second: Anything OSU did during a coaching search could easily be validated by "due diligence." OSU owes it to its enormous following to fill its vacancy with the most qualified coach it can find. Luke's one year audition, even at 14-0 with a NC, still demands due diligence although his case for the position is much stronger.

The difference between the permanent fill and Luke's fill now is that that the Bucks need to sign the next permanent coach to a 4 year deal to show stability. If you are going to make that kind of commitment you have to reduce your "beta" (risk factor) as low as possible. I am rooting for Luke, I would love to have a 37 year old fireball head coach, but I only want him if he can handle ALL ASPECTS of the OSU position (managing the staff, prepping the team, game planning, HANDLING THE MEDIA, keeping the players out of trouble, etc.). There will be guys available with a track record of doing all that; OSU owes it us to at least talk to them.

But haven't a few of us brought up just how short a list of coaches that are worthy of the job or JT ='s/superiors there are? IF (<-----very big) Fickell has an outstanding season doesn't he jump to the top of that next tier of guys with experience that would otherwise be iffies if Fickell wasn't around to begin with? IOW so many coaches gain such quick credibility now a days why wouldn't Fickell benefit from the same?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:12 pm

You never know who may be available.

Successfully stewarding the program through the season will go a long way toward putting Fickell on the map (so to speak), but it certainly doesn't (and shouldn't) assure him of the job.

Remember, Fickell has never even been a Coordinator before. If Hazell had not gone to KSU he would probably be the guy right now, not Fick. I have no problems with LF, and personally I am hoping for him to have an amazing year and win the job. Think about it, he is only 37, he could easily be OSU's coach for 25+ years. I am not rooting against him, but OSU must do its due diligence and LF should understand that.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:20 pm

They should definitely do their due dillegence.

FTR, I dont think it makes a lick of difference that he hasn't been the sole D Coordinator before, that isn't the job. HC is in no way shape or form the same job as OC or DC.

He wouldn't get to apply in an open search, the bonus for him is he gets the opportunity to sink or swim himself. I dont see alot of great candidates out there right now. I prefer to give Fickell the job over a Myer, as I dont want to be looking for a coach again in 2 more seasons.

Hazell would be the guy, I agree, and he may even have a shot at the job next season, that's a candidate I like. But I sure haven't liked any names on the lists I've seen so far. The search is much more limited than many think. OSU isn't hiring a guy with west coast or Southern roots. They probably wont hire an OC or DC with no HCing XP either. I think if you put up all the D1 and (successful) D2 HC's it would actually be rather easy to narrow a list down to 20 or so real candidates going into this season. Maybe I'll take a whack at it if I find some time this weekend.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:48 am

ESPN still trying to hump a dry hole. Their OTL show this morning lead off with more OSU bashing. Their attention whoring never seems to run of out steam.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=683560 ... id=2564308

Isn't Yahoo! sports supposed to be doing some explosive piece on a big time SEC school this month? Any info on and when and if it's coming out?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby JCoz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:17 am

It's going to be hard to argue with anyone who thinks the WWL has it out for OSU, whatever the reasons, there is simply no way to justify the difference in the way they have covered this summer. None.

I'm still amazed when I look at the Boise St. Rap sheet in comparison. And that just happened. Then reading this rants by Doyel and the like, even a normally excellent and seemingly unbiased Pete Futiak over at CFN, came totally unhinged and wrote probably the worst couple articles of his career on OSU recently.
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:13 pm

Still at it, bitching about how much money Tress made now. On Sportscenter. (it is an AP article, but this still isn't close to "news").

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... e-buckeyes
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Just saw this and am baffled at the lead for the story. The accompanying video is irrelevant to the lead too.

Just an utter witch hunt at this point.

$21.7MM over 10 yrs. and a line item write-up of all the tickets he got. Uh huh. And that matters how?

What about the donations he made to countless charities or the countless university and various program fund raising? Do those figures not count in the grand scheme or are they just so blatantly against the ESPN narrative that they are conveniently left out?

(P.S. Pull other big-time coaches salaries and perks for perspective ESPN...)

Bunch of choches...
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby gdbenz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:13 pm

The article referenced was written by Rusty Miller of the Associated Press. Miller covers OSU on a regular basis and is certainly smarting over being scooped by the larger news organizations on a story that supposedly took place under his nose. As a result, he's been nipping at the edges of trying to find an angle ever since. When I looked at all the various Freedom of Information Act requests made on the Ohio State media relations department, it's almost comical how it all went down. It was Yahoo followed by ESPN followed by the Columbus Dispatch followed by Miller on behalf of the AP. In each case, the person afterward submitted a request for all the information that OSU supplied to anyone else, demonstrating a complete inability to have an original thought. As to how much Tress made, it's been public knowledge for years. Indeed there's a web site out there that lists the contracts of every college football coach at public schools. Every year Tress signed an extension it was followed by the inevitable public records request for a copy and so to now treat this as news is ludicrous. Moreover, there's no context to the article because it doesn't list, for example, how much other coaches have made during similar time periods. Tressel was well paid but his contract was never as big as the successive contracts signed by Nick Saban, for example. The implication of the article, though Miller doesn't have the guts to say it directly (likely for fear of being further alienated in his every day job of trying to cover the team) is "can you believe that OSU paid Tressel $X million last year while he was actively committing fraud?" That's a false question anyway because as posed (or in the case of Miller's weak reporting, implied) it suggests that the contract Tressel signed, which is a public record, allows the school to recoup money if he committed a NCAA violation or otherwise committed a terminable act. It does not and, indeed, you won't find that kind of contract anywhere.
gdbenz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:52 pm

That's what kills me. What is the point? It's a re-hash of a re-hash of a re-hash of shit that's public knowledge.

They've beaten the dead horse so much it's turned to fucking dust.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:30 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:That's what kills me. What is the point? It's a re-hash of a re-hash of a re-hash of shit that's public knowledge.

They've beaten the dead horse so much it's turned to fucking dust.

And yet Gary's article is the most-read here since before this all went down and people keep reading the ESPN and AP shit.

That's why people keep writing about it.

Gary put work in. I'd be willing to bet he worked more the Dohrmann did. But for others it's low hanging fruit and they'll keep writing stories that people read.

You read them to laugh and shake your head at the shoddiness of the articles. Others read them to revel in the misery OSU is going through.

All the clicks and coin add up and ESPN can't see you laughing at them.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:12 pm

gdbenz wrote:The article referenced was written by Rusty Miller of the Associated Press. Miller covers OSU on a regular basis and is certainly smarting over being scooped by the larger news organizations on a story that supposedly took place under his nose. As a result, he's been nipping at the edges of trying to find an angle ever since. When I looked at all the various Freedom of Information Act requests made on the Ohio State media relations department, it's almost comical how it all went down. It was Yahoo followed by ESPN followed by the Columbus Dispatch followed by Miller on behalf of the AP. In each case, the person afterward submitted a request for all the information that OSU supplied to anyone else, demonstrating a complete inability to have an original thought. As to how much Tress made, it's been public knowledge for years. Indeed there's a web site out there that lists the contracts of every college football coach at public schools. Every year Tress signed an extension it was followed by the inevitable public records request for a copy and so to now treat this as news is ludicrous. Moreover, there's no context to the article because it doesn't list, for example, how much other coaches have made during similar time periods. Tressel was well paid but his contract was never as big as the successive contracts signed by Nick Saban, for example. The implication of the article, though Miller doesn't have the guts to say it directly (likely for fear of being further alienated in his every day job of trying to cover the team) is "can you believe that OSU paid Tressel $X million last year while he was actively committing fraud?" That's a false question anyway because as posed (or in the case of Miller's weak reporting, implied) it suggests that the contract Tressel signed, which is a public record, allows the school to recoup money if he committed a NCAA violation or otherwise committed a terminable act. It does not and, indeed, you won't find that kind of contract anywhere.

Tressel was never the highest paid coach in the NCAA, and it took him years to even be made the highest paid coach in the Big Ten, IIRC. That contract belonged to Ferentz for some tim. I'd venture to say that in any given year he never broke into the top two in the SEC, and I think Mack and Petey always made more as well. I'm not giving that article a page hit, it sounds like maybe the most worthlessarticle written yet.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:30 pm

First of all, kudos to Gary for a good article.

Second, Rusty Miller is a fixture in the OSU media corps, and is well-liked and respected as a pro as far as I can tell from my recent involvement with that group. He's the guy whose game stories you're seeing from AP on the web or in your Sunday paper. I must say I don't quite get the focus on the Tressel salary all of a sudden.

Like someone said above, JT's salary has been public information for a long time, as it is for all coaches, at least at public universities. What struck me as unnecessary and off-putting was how Rusty made this an issue with Luke Fickell when he spoke to the media the other day...

Rusty is the guy with the glasses and the gray mustache asking the first question in this video of the Fickell "media availability"....paraphrasing..."Tressel made 3.5 million...you're making like 3 million less than that. Does that bother you?"

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/08/r ... servations

Ridiculous line of questioning for a guy with a million other things on his mind (and who freely admits he would coach the team for free Gatorade if they asked him to). I don't get it. Tim May (in the foreground of the video)...another guy I respect and like personally from my limited exposure to him, followed up with a similar line...like "Is this closer to a 3.7 million dollar job or a 700,000 dollar job?"

As if....the amount of Tressel's compensation is a recent revelation that requires comment from his successor???

As if there's some interest in creating bad blood over what Fickell is being paid???

Don't. Get. It.

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Rusty Pecker.

Where you there, Dan? Or do you just mainly do game day stuff?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:08 pm

I haven't been down there this week since practice started, but I was at all three spring scrimmages in April, and I plan to get down to at least one practice session next week, and to media day next Sunday.

danwismar

Unread postby gdbenz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm

It's as if some of the lazy media types just discovered what Tressel's making and then lack even a rudimentary understanding of context. Fickell is clearly labeled an interim coach and the questions posed of him suggest that he's a permanent coach and that OSU low-balled him on salary because they could. The real comparison anyway would have been to take Tressel's first year salary and inflate it over 10 years (and not just on the usual economic factors but the inflationary factors specific to big time college football coaches, nearly all of whom have seen explosive growth in salaries)and then compare it to what Fickell's now being paid. Even that, it's still not fair because Fickell is an interim coach and not the permanent choice. I suspect that if Fickell gets the job permanently, he'll get a 4-5 year contract with it, a much higher salary (similar or the same to what Brady Hoke, for example, is getting in his first year at Michigan) and with similar perks to what Tressel had when he left.

I agree with Dan about Rusty Miller's status in the fraternity, but in some ways that's the key to the problem. It's a fraternity with a lot of "follow the leaderism."

And by the way, ESPN had still another story today about the NCAA possibly continuing its investigation. What's fascinating about that story is that they speculate, since they don't know, that it is related to their shoddy reporting. ESPN, via Pat Forde, even mentions the ridiculous Outside the Lines broadcast as possibly being a basis for the further investigation. What ESPN isn't mentioning is that it is they that are keeping the investigation going by throwing all kinds of things against the wall. It's just like when the alleged problems with cars was uncovered by the Columbus Dispatch. Well, the NCAA had to take a look at that and it turns out that the Dispatch was wrong and nothing they alleged could be confirmed. Indeed much of which was proven false. So it's not a surprise that the NCAA is supposedly further "investigating." It's rather unlikely that anything further will be found. After all, ESPN couldn't back up any of their accusations with facts. Their source on the alleged payments to Pryor refused to go on camera and what he said anyway was rather worthless: that he had heard Pryor was being paid for his autographs. That isn't going to pass muster with the NCAA and if they are actually further investigating they certainly aren't going to come up with anything either.

Here's what I think is really going on. ESPN simply doesn't believe the NCAA has or will come down hard enough on the Buckeyes so it is doing its level best to make sure that the program stays damaged in the court of public opinion (and with recruits). They've stopped reporting in favor or not just moralizing but of performing what they view as a public service by acting as prosecutor, judge and jury for a NCAA that they see as weak. And of course when the inevitable happens a few years down the road and the Buckeyes program returns to full strength, it will be ESPN that will line up first to do the inevitable resurrection story about how OSU was up, then down, and found its way back, supposedly "doing it the right way."
Last edited by gdbenz on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gdbenz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Gary, great article, I just have one question and i'm not trying to be a prick, did you mean LeMichael James instead of LeMarcus James?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby gdbenz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Yes, sorry. LeMichael James.
gdbenz

Unread postby pup » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:33 pm

Look out, we got another letter from the 2A. Of course, the letter says there is nothing new to report...but, hold on...wait for it...one more second...Top Billing on E$PN!

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:36 pm

To be fair this article did clearly state that the NCAA isn't done, which is a revelation. Not sure how big of one, but them not investigating anymore matters.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:05 am

OSU officially denies the report that they have received even an additional letter of inquiry, let alone another notice of allegations. They expect to address no additional charges in Friday's meeting that were not known about in March.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ation.html

The fact that the NCAA is not finished is not really a revelation either. That was stated publicly by Gene Smith in early July when it became clear that there would be no institutional (LOIC or FTM) violations alleged. From here it looks like the Talbot golf allegations are the only loose ends left alive, since they came late...really just as the NCAA was packing up to leave Columbus. I don't think any sober observers are treating those allegations as anything terribly consequential anyway...just guessing here....since Talbot was not associated with the program...and says he has not been contacted by the NCAA.

Doug L. has some stuff over at cleveland.com on this too, but I'd think the Dispatch piece should allow OSU fans to exhale.

Gary's speculation above makes a lot of sense. Anyone who would care to make the case after all of this that ESPN is simply practicing good journalism, and is not agenda driven as regards OSU...please, have at it.

danwismar

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:23 am

But why does ESPN have an agenda? What's the point? What is the purpose? To what end? I don't get it.

Why?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:50 am

motherscratcher wrote:But why does ESPN have an agenda? What's the point? What is the purpose? To what end? I don't get it.

Why?

I'm shocked that you are shocked. It's all ego, $$, and ratings. The "E" stands for entertainment, not objective journalism.

The self dubbed WWL leader got scooped by Wetzel and Yahoo on USC, tOSU, Oregon, and the soon-to-be-named SEC team. The editors at the WWL are pissed and want some action. tOSU, due to it's (perceived) obnoxious fan base and large athletic budget is an easy target for which either the editors of ESPN or the viewers of ESPN apparently want to see more dirt.

tOSU is at the minimum tolerated and at the majority disliked or hated nationally - for many reasons most of us understand. Role reversal - if Notre Dame or the Steelers were facing the same scutiny most of us would be celebrating. It's that way for the rest of the country. Most peeps hate tOSU. When people stop responding to the story (or lack of a story) the WWL will stop running it.

Mob mentality, blood in the water and all that.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:11 am

Pat Forde is a real superstar journalist. The guy is so fucking good he can break stories that already came out months ago..... and STILL get headlines from his dipshit employers.

Here's some really brainy shit from his "article".

Among the reports since then: an ESPN "Outside The Lines" story alleging that former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor was paid thousands of dollars in exchange for signed gear by local memorabilia collector, photographer and Buckeyes fan Dennis Talbott; an "OTL" report about Pryor and other Buckeyes playing free rounds of golf with Talbott at a Columbus-area country club; and a Columbus Dispatch report that scrutinized dozens of automobile sales to Ohio State athletes and family members from a pair of Columbus-area dealerships.

The autograph story they kept citing over and over again with no fucking proof.... I love the shameless plug for a show on their own network which is a glorified re-cap of stories everyone with a pulse knows about. And of course CARGATE, which was already cleared up by the fucking BMV.

But lets not let that stop us form basking in the radiant glory that is Pat Forde.

More fun.

If any of those reports are verified by NCAA investigators, they could result in additional major allegations against the school.

What reports, Patty? The shit you can't prove or the shit you're just making up? ESPN loves red herring.

Not done yet.

In the wake of those media reports, there was speculation that the Committee on Infractions might postpone Ohio State's scheduled hearing. That did not happen, but it does not signal an end to the process.

When I read this nugget, I picture a midget humping a tree stump. Pat is spectacular, really he is. "there was speculation, but it was wrong.... MAYBE THERE MIGHT BE MORE AT SOME POINT BECAUSE IF NOT I LOOK LIKE A INCOMPETENT BOOB, so maybe....please?"

And there's this:

At 1:02 in, you get hit with one of the best quotes in the history of sports.

From what I can tell, Ohio State wants to tell us what's NOT in the letter, well how about telling us what IS in the letter?

Ok, you amazing jackass, what they're telling you is NOT in the letter, is what your whole stupid fuckshit story is about, more ALLEGATIONS...

This whole YouTube audio is so much win.... it's really unending in it's bounty of stupid hack journalism. JCoz hates Pat Forde, I'd advise him not to listen to it. Either his head will explode or he's going to be disposing of Forde's lifeless corpse in some Maryland swamp.

97.1 is a turd popsicle, Dimitrius Stanley is dumber than a box of rocks.

Pat Forde, he has sources........
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Re: NCAA tells Ohio State it finds no new violatiLoons

Unread postby furls » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:09 am

Look guys, I don't want to be the guy that likes the "smell of his own farts" but please take a look take a look at this article that I wrote FOUR years ago.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/misc/gen ... chive/1811

Read it in the context of today's events. Select against tOSU because it is like hockey or NASCAR when ESPN didn't have rights. ESPN selected has selected its content against its contracts for a long time. Now don't get me wrong, I know that ESPN will have lots of tOSU games this year, but think longer term, think like an executive, think strategically, think endgame.

OSU has its own outlet in the B1G Network and while the BTN is not a direct competitor today, it is in a few years, when the contracts come due. Who is ESPN in bed with? The SEC (2B over 10 years) and now UTexas (the end of the Big 12). ESPN knows that the BTN's relationship outside the WWL is the end. From that point forward the conferences have viable alternatives.... w/o the B1G what do you think the SEC's alternatives were? What do you think their "opportunity cost of capital" was? How much do you think Indiana University's 22.7MM (just like every other B1G School) TV revenue from B1G affected the SEC's negotiations? So while the B1G's model did not result in the SEC starting a network (or any other conference save the P12) you cannot ignore the bargaining power of the network.

ESPN's treatment of this case is far beyond what anyone could consider serious and objective journalism. I have recently paired with a serious author and graduate of the NW school of journalism and we are collaborating on a book on this very topic. ESPN's demise is near, it will not be because of my efforts, it will be because of their own apathy and contempt. The competitors (FOX and NBC) are currently getting ready to launch. How much longer will it be before you are bored with Skip Bayless? I know you have only been tuning in because there is no alternative; that will soon change.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby gdbenz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:18 am

There certainly is something to the notion that ESPN has an axe to grind because the Big 10 Network, unlike, say the SEC network, isn't associated with ESPN. But as I said before, to me the agenda is rather straightforward: ESPN is putting itself in the place of the NCAA which it thinks is weak anyway. It has concluded that the NCAA won't punish OSU how it (ESPN) thinks the Bucks should be punished so they are going to do the NCAA's job in the court of public opinion. Frankly, I don't think ESPN would be happy with any result short of shutting down the program. ESPN knee-jerked a reaction that the program was out of control and has gone about trying to prove its theory since the outset. The problem is that they've never been able to come close to proving it, despite their OTL segment with anonymous sources. Believe me. If ESPN couldn't get the goods, how is the NCAA going to do any better? Neither has subpoena power. Neither can compel shadowy criminal-like figures not associated with OSU to testify. Neither can compel Pryor to cooperate. ESPN is just struggling with the notion that the program isn't as out of control as they want to believe it is.
gdbenz

Next

Return to College Sports Arena