Text Size

College Sports Arena

Comparing the Allegations

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Comparing the Allegations

Unread postby pup » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:03 am

I have not read this thoroughly, but thought the idea was pretty interesting. If the author did a good job, then it will shed some light on the different situations between tOSU, USC, UNC, Tennessee.

http://www.thebuckeyebattlecry.com/2011/07/compare-and-contrast-ncaa-allegations/
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Comparing the Allegations

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:23 am

And this exemplifies just how ridiculous the reactions have been from people outside the program and some inside.

And people thought the bias of politcal news these days is fucked up? Pfft. Try the unwashed masses at ESPN, Yahoo, SI, etc.....All gathering with the collective wisdom of the peasants in MP Holy Grail...."She's a witch! Burn Her!"..."She turned me into a newt!"....and it continues....in the present.

We have yet to see the worst this mob has to offer. Wait until the sactions become official, even if the NCAA adds some to what OSU has already proposed.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:17 pm

To bad ESPN reports the opposite of that, and the masses just eat it up.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Not sure how you can lump Yahoo! In that group. They treated OSU like a used whore, sure but they are pretty much on a national D-1 whore tour at the moment. They found their dirt, reported it and left.

Frankly I think Yahoo gets a big chunk of the blame because I think that ESPN and SI got tired on being slaughtered by them and decided that the OSU case was going to be their big “INVESTIGATIVE BADASSERY” coming out.

Yahoo did their deed and went on to Oregon and soon to be Auburn (did anyone else chuckle when the NCAA snapped Auburn w/ a towel yesterday? Was obviously a move to protect themselves from looking like fools again by being beaten to the punch by Yahoo again)…..
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:35 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Not sure how you can lump Yahoo! In that group. They treated OSU like a used whore, sure but they are pretty much on a national D-1 whore tour at the moment. They found their dirt, reported it and left.

Frankly I think Yahoo gets a big chunk of the blame because I think that ESPN and SI got tired on being slaughtered by them and decided that the OSU case was going to be their big “INVESTIGATIVE BADASSERY” coming out.

Yahoo did their deed and went on to Oregon and soon to be Auburn (did anyone else chuckle when the NCAA snapped Auburn w/ a towel yesterday? Was obviously a move to protect themselves from looking like fools again by being beaten to the punch by Yahoo again)…..

Wow..... I couldn't agree more. Yahoo did actual investigative journalism, they provided damning evidence to back up their claims. They were right and I can't hate on them for doing their jobs. SI's article was an abolute abortion in print. ESPN looks like a little kid trying to tag along with big brother. They're empty suits who wait for others to do the leg work and then plaster it all over their stupid shows. ESPN is the like the National Enquirer, sensational headlines and very little substance. I'm not really sure why they have such a hard-on for OSU, they look and sound like a jilted ex-girlfriend.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Correct EO, just a misstep on my part to include them in lieu of Brooks and blogs like mgo....just too quick on the keyboard this morning. My previous comments here regarding yahoo reflect that.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:48 pm

Speaking of ESPN, this Feldman thing is insane.

They just suspended a guy who is their most/only respected CFB writer because he worked on a book they gave him permission to work on?

Not smart.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:41 pm

ESPN is out of control.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Here's a link to this Feldman insanity: http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/bruce-fel ... espn-29786
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:51 pm

Is their suspension of him even legal, given that he received permission to do what they suspended him for?
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:07 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Here's a link to this Feldman insanity: http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/bruce-fel ... espn-29786

Kind of funny to be honest, in both his picture and writing style he seems rather, well....harmless?

He must have some dirt, IDK, you got other ideas? This is really strange to me, to be honest.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:13 am

I have no idea, but I am sure we will find out soon.

The Twitter movement on this is insane. Every respectable journalist outside of ESPN is going nuts and will be digging.

Kind of funny this happens the same day SI ranks Feldman as one of their top 100 twitter feeds.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:15 am

Wow...this is just bananas. What the fuck are they thinking over there?

I don't even know what the hell ESPN is anymore.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:40 am

ESPN as I can recall, actually used to be an enjoyable sports channel, that drifted from being a straight covering the game, and reporting on it, to becoming the tabloid-obnoxious sports talk on TV bastardization of the network that it was.

It's almost FOX News like in it's operation now.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:25 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Frankly I think Yahoo gets a big chunk of the blame because I think that ESPN and SI got tired on being slaughtered by them and decided that the OSU case was going to be their big “INVESTIGATIVE BADASSERY” coming out.

Agree completely with this....ESPN was scooped and embarrassed by Yahoo on the Reggie Bush story, and clearly their zealotry on OSU has something to do with that.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby The Score » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:31 pm

In my opinion, the tOSU zeal also has to do with the fact that the Big 10 Network is a Fox Sports joint venture and not a deal with ABC/ESPN.
The Score

Unread postby furls » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:16 pm

The Score wrote:In my opinion, the tOSU zeal also has to do with the fact that the Big 10 Network is a Fox Sports joint venture and not a deal with ABC/ESPN.

That conspiracy theory, which was featured recently on the air on WKNR (ironically an ESPN affiliate) via LCB, is starting to gain legs. I was never one to say that ESPN has an anti-OSU bias because it never really made sense. I have always felt that they were overly concerned with AL East Baseball, the Celtics, NE Pats, and so on, but I never really thought they were anti-OSU because there was no motive... until now.

I wrote an article on this site in 2007 regarding ESPN trying to manipulate vewiership by disproportionately reporting leagues/events that it had TV contracts with. You could say in this case, they are doing the opposite, they are attempting to devalue the B1G brand (a competitor) by overreporting. Think about it, when was the last time that a 4* HS recruit (#140) changing his commitment led off SC? Right now, Tressel's admonishment from a car thing in 2003 is the top story on their website. 2 days ago, they had 3 negative OSU stories on that same page. Where is Oregon's reporting? Where is the OTL special on Willie Lyles?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Feldman reinstated by ESPN. That'll show em, espn!
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Feldman reinstated by ESPN. That'll show em, espn!

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:36 pm

Doesn't the big tenelve still have a massive contract w/ ESPN and ABC though?

They have nothing financially to gain by going after OSU as ESPN and ABC carry all but two of their games a year and are the ones that benefit the most from Buckeye nation.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Also, this Feldman insanity and the cover up lies leaking out may have just bumped The ESPN Book to my must read soon list.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:41 pm

There is still 4 years left on the ABC/ESPN B1G deal, but I am at a loss for trying to understand the ESPN coverage of OSU and that is the best I got. It is at the point now where even OSU/B1G haters are saying OMG stop already.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:42 pm

I honestly think a TON of it has to do w/ laziness combining w/ an extreme desire to be percieved as the relevant king at all times.

A lot has to do w/ hiring douchenozzles.

And someone hates the big ten somewhere w/ some power.

Because money can't be it, as I said, ESPN/ABC have the most to lose from a non-nationally competing OSU.

I don't think ESPN/ABC much cares about the weekly Northwestern - Purdue battle of suck.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:44 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I honestly think a TON of it has to do w/ laziness.

A lot has to do w/ hiring douchenozzles.

And someone hates the big ten somewhere w/ some power.

Because money can't be it, as I said, ESPN/ABC have the most to lose from a non-nationally competing OSU.

I don't think ESPN/ABC much cares about the weekly Northwestern - Purdue battle of suck.

Maybe a mix of NFL Lockout/no NFL news to report besides /yawn CBA crap?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:48 pm

That certainly also plays a role.

That and the fact that Yahoo Sports is pulling more web hits than ESPN now according to Neilson.

(honestly, Yahoo kills ESPN in quality too, but ESPN has no idea how to improve their coverage)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby The Score » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Eh, Big Ten games are on ABC/ESPN but so is every other conference/school too. The Big Ten almost caused an NCAA meltdown by adding Nebraska and possibly others. We all saw the story last summer (including their recruitment of now ESPN partner Texas).

Logic would dictate that if super conferences and a resulting playoff were to form, that ESPN would reap the benefits.. but that is an unknown. ESPN has a known right now and wouldn't want that applecart blown up (IMO).

ESPN wants to be the power broker here, not the Big Ten.
The Score

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:58 pm

You are flat wrong.

Just because other conferences are on ESPN ABC doesn't make them NEARLY the TV draw OSU is.

Same reason that every single time OSU is bowl eligible that are invited to a BCS bowl.

If your statement were correct ESPN would be going after THE REST of the BIG TEN, not OSU.

You don't cut off your nose to spite your face, especially if mouth herpes is the problem that you are trying to get rid of.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:09 pm

ESPN's beef is not with tOSU. It is with the Big 10 and having their own network. And having their championship game on Fox.

And the beef really started with ESPN low-balling the Big 10 in the last negotiations. So Jim Delaney pissed on their face and now they are fighting back.

Not biting off your nose to spite your face. It is trying to cut the head off the dragon.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby The Score » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:13 pm

A nose and a face are inseparable, except for maybe Michael Jackson and a few other extreme examples. That is not the case with ESPN and the Big Ten.

ESPN is a middle man and the Big Ten Network is Delaney's way of cutting out the middle man.

Extend it out, big picture. Big Ten games will not always be on a 3rd party network. The Big Ten / Fox partnership is bad news for ESPN.
The Score

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Yep, got it.

ESPN is ONLY harassing OSU, probably the only big ten network team that they actually profit from and leaving the entire rest of the conference alone because of Jim Delaney.

Logic.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:18 pm

pup wrote:ESPN's beef is not with tOSU. It is with the Big 10 and having their own network. And having their championship game on Fox.

And the beef really started with ESPN low-balling the Big 10 in the last negotiations. So Jim Delaney pissed on their face and now they are fighting back.

Not biting off your nose to spite your face. It is trying to cut the head off the dragon.

ESPN is definitely not a fan of conference television networks. It is not good business for ESPN and it creates the only real source of competition for TV rights. ESPN relies on the B1G's non prime games to keep their saturday lineup full of things that are not PBA bowling on ESPN and the deuce. I am not sure though that this is exactly enough to explain the slanted coverage.

The conference network model should scare the piss out of ESPN/ABC as the B1G is raking in a couple hundred million per year (and that number is going up). It is not long before the other networks create their own completely independent networks similarly. I cannot believe the SEC reupped with ESPN, they could've gotten a mint on their own.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Here is my point:

When Michigan was getting in trouble it wasn't even reported by ESPN. And w/ what they have tried to turn the OSU thing if this was an agenda against Jim Delaney one would think that the Michigan shit would have at least gotten some SC air time at some point. Instead ESPN ignored it and never sent reporters to scUM to try and dig up more info.

And christ if they really wanted to go after the Big Ten they could just send a reporter to follow Ron Zook around for a month or two, they could probably kill the Illinois program w/ that small step.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby The Score » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:23 pm

If tOSU is the only team that ABC/ESPN profits from, then wouldn't it stand to reason that would be the same for the Big Ten Network?
The Score

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:24 pm

And of course, THERE WERE HUNDRED OF REPORTERS SENT TO EUGENE TO SHOW THOSE BASTARDS IN THE PAC TEN FOR STARTING THEIR NETWORK WITH FOX!@$!!$!@$!

oh wait...
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:24 pm

The Score wrote:If tOSU is the only team that ABC/ESPN profits from, then wouldn't it stand to reason that would be the same for the Big Ten Network?

No.

You can replace mid-teir schools ratings if you are ESPN/ABC w/ teams from other conferences.

You cannot replace an OSU fanbase/audience.

scUM is up there as well, but not as high.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Oh yeah, my bad, the Pac Ten's deal is actually worse for ESPN as Fox gets a share of the prime time games and the Network itself is wholly owned by the conference.

"ESPN and Fox will also rotate the conference’s annual football championship game, and the basketball tournament will alternate among the ESPN networks, and Fox and FX. The Pac-10’s new channel will carry at least 350 sports events. The conference is also creating a digital channel, like ESPN3, to carry at least 500 events annually, and a properties division to handle sponsorships. "
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:51 pm

ESPN opened Pandora's Box with their low ball offer to Delaney. I suspect that ESPN will be the SEC network only in a few years, and if not, then ESPN will have to pay the "Please don't start a network" premium for anyone they are carrying (See the SEC's $2B 10 year deal).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby phutatorius » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Fact is OSU is one of those teams that fans of other schools love to hate. That's in part because of their success over the years. Two teams have dominated this decade, consistently -- and that's OSU and USC. And if you're not an OSU or a USC fan, you have to hate those teams. You rip a team like OSU, and fans from 118 other FBS teams are going to read the column with relish. It's market economics.

Now USC didn't get the same treatment, in part because it's a private school, and it doesn't have to answer public records requests. Yeah, I suppose ESPN and SI could have done the "let's go find disgruntled ex-players and ex-friends and see what they'll allege against the program" route with USC, as they did with us. But I think they did that with us because the public records requests and inside sources weren't yielding anything. They'd deployed big resources in and around Columbus, and they had shit. So they went and grabbed anything they could and dressed it up to make it look corroborated and consequential.
phutatorius

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:50 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I have no idea, but I am sure we will find out soon.

The Twitter movement on this is insane. Every respectable journalist outside of ESPN is going nuts and will be digging.

Kind of funny this happens the same day SI ranks Feldman as one of their top 100 twitter feeds.

Yeah I followed it. ESPN looks amazingly bad right now, between the parts from Leaches book, which are documented and backed 100%, which shows two TV guys and a PR firm actually getting an extremely high profile HC fired through misinformation using ESPN as a weapon, and ESPN's GROSS mishandling of a squeaky clean writer who had written permission from the WWL to do what they suspended him for....

Incredible really. A microphone and an agenda....just shows what ESPN can (and sometimes does) do with those.
JCoz

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:50 pm

Bumped this up because I didn't want to start a new thread.

Bruce Feldman, the NCAA FB writer who was suspended by ESPN for working on a book ESPN gave him permission to work on, left for CBS Sports. Today he took some parting shots at ESPN and Craig James on SI.com, The Dan Patrick Show, and the Wall St. Journal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... ldman.cbs/
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Nice bump. Looks like they lost Brian Kenny to the mlb network also.

At this rate, they'll have Jemele Hill calling Monday Night Football from the booth by November. I love it.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:15 am

Wow. Freaking great.

There is literally no reason to have anything to do with ESPN anymore. It used to be a constant part of my browsing, but the only thing on that site I've read in the last month is the stupid Vick thing, and that's because it was linked here.

There will be no way around watching some of their live sporting events, but that's all I need them for. They are useless now. Plenty of alternatives.

What should scare them the most, if they weren't oblivious, is how easy it was to just cut them off cold turkey. I don't think I've missed a thing. Not a thing at all.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:54 am

Immediately what comes to mind is how the same company line is always toed on this...."ESPN has never told me to say anything"...guess they just tell them NOT to say certain things.

After the Leach book debuted, Feldman said that ESPN producers were told not to book him on shows after July 13. "There was a 'Do Not Book' sent out to their talent producers," Feldman said. "That's what you come against. It's just a very weird place and it has gotten weirder to work at in the last few years. I can't tell you how many people pulled me into their office when I was up in Bristol and had their own stories. But as long as you work there, you can't say anything."
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:35 pm

There is a website out there called Awful Announcing; I am sure that many are familiar with it. Personally, I think that anything on ESPN now qualifies as awful announcing. I wrote an article 4 years ago about the ESPN conflicts of interests on this website called "$port$center" or something like that. You can find it on this website in my archives. 4 years ago ESPN was struggling with the conflict of interests as a news agency and contracted broadcast partner and it is apparent that they are now failing at it miserably.

I will only watch sports broadcasts on ESPN now and read articles that others link as relevant/important. Years ago, I used to surf the site religously, now I don't. Frankly, I learned a couple of years ago that ESPN doesn't break news it just rereports it. Generally, they are late to the punch and then when they do post their stories they are awkward spins (OTL segments) on stories that are already out there.

Mortensen still seems pretty competent, but in general he is one of 3 guys on that network that actually does any independent research/story breaking. Alot of Buckeyes fans took ESPN's coverage of Tattgate personally, I can understand why, but I didn't. It isn't like OSU is the only irresponsible, inaccurate reporting ESPN did this year. You just have to accept that as a journalistic organization ESPN was an innovator, but is now obsolete, complacent and lazy.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena