Text Size

College Sports Arena

ESPN sues Ohio State for release of Tressel emails

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

ESPN sues Ohio State for release of Tressel emails

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:13 pm

Ohio State University is withholding emails between former coach Jim Tressel and a mentor to ex-quarterback Terrelle Pryor by wrongfully hiding behind a federal student-privacy law, ESPN said yesterday in a lawsuit filed with the Ohio Supreme Court.

The media company asked the court to order the release of various documents that it said should be made public by OSU.

OSU officials maintain that the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, designed to protect education records, is the basis for shielding some details of wrongdoing inside its athletic department. But ESPN said FERPA should not be used to keep secret the non-academic improprieties of a football coach.

"FERPA has no application here," ESPN lawyer John Greiner said in his filing, "and this court should not permit it to be used in a manner that is equal parts cynical and hypocritical."

The Dispatch has pending records requests for the emails between Tressel and businessman Ted Sarniak - Pryor's hometown mentor in Jeannette, Pa. - and other documents. The Dispatch also has met with state Attorney General Mike DeWine in an attempt to gain release of the records.

ESPN specifically wants to see:

• All emails, letters and memos to and from Tressel, university president E. Gordon Gee, athletic director Gene Smith and compliance director Doug Archie regarding Sarniak since March 2007.

• All documents related to NCAA investigations of Tressel prepared for or forwarded to the NCAA since January 2010.

• All emails or documents listing people banned from receiving free game tickets from players.

• Any report, email or correspondence since January 2005 between the NCAA and Archie or any other OSU athletic department official related to the football program's violations of NCAA rules.

Ohio State spokesman Jim Lynch said the school has adhered to applicable state and federal laws. The final three requests were rejected as "overly broad" or for other reasons.

The university has been "inundated" with public-records requests stemming from the NCAA investigation, including "voluminous" requests from ESPN, he said.

He said ESPN has received a voluminous amount of information in return, and the university generally works with reporters to help them find information they are seeking.

"Especially considering the fact that we made publicly available on Friday our NCAA response and a number of exhibits, we are disappointed that ESPN decided to file this suit on Monday. Notwithstanding this, we will continue to work cooperatively with ESPN and all media in responding to their numerous requests on these matters."

OSU has 21 days to respond to the suit once it is served with papers. The court could grant ESPN's request, deny it or set a schedule for legal briefs.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... ml?sid=101
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: ESPN sues Ohio State for release of Tressel emails

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:16 pm

Expect the Dispatch to now file a similar suit next week.

^ JOKES
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Is this very common in this sort of scandal? I'm asking because I only recall news media outlets doing this with politicians and businesses.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:38 pm

ESPN are a bunch of hacks. There vendetta is no longer subtle in any way.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:14 pm

http://ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/students.html

Outlines the rules for disclosure. I'm not really sure if they're protected under the act or not. I guess it depends on if you count the e-mails bewteen those involved as "education records". I'm also not sure the violation of NCAA rules is enough to toss out privacy laws without an actual crime being commited, even for state employees.

I'm curious as to, and no snark intended, if ESPN is seeking similar releases at Auburn in regard to what Chizik knew, and if he or any in the AD had any knowledge of alledged payment to Cecil Newton and also with Chip Kelly and Lyles. It'll be inertesting to see their reasoning to why they have a right to them when it's a violation of NCAA rules and not the law.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:56 pm

This witchhunt is ridiculous. Have you ever seen ESPN attack a school with such zeal?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:45 pm

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_ski ... 5&f=111811

God Bless You LCB!

going blue chips on their asses.

Triple-S

Return to College Sports Arena