Text Size

College Sports Arena

How many Buckeye fans we got in here?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

How many Buckeye fans we got in here?

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:45 am

Obviously there are some, but this is the least active of all 4 main forums on TCF. Im a huge baseball fan obviously, but my second passion is college football. Im a Browns fan, but the Buckeye always come first to me.

With this off season being one for the books, I cannot wait until September. I just want to see the team play again, and put all this BS behind us.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Re: How many Buckeye fans we got in here?

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:10 am

September 3rd.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:24 am

Everyone except Fire Marshall Bill
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:33 am

mattvan1 wrote:Everyone except Fire Marshall Bill

Resident Troll
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:20 pm

368 I believe.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:37 pm

I probably enjoy this board most of the sports-related boards. tOSU is not my favorite team, but I do love the conversation here and having some friends and colleagues that are Buckeye fans I do follow them and pull for them casually.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:36 pm

furls wrote:

Resident Troll

Cry baby ^^^^^^^ with thin skin who obviously thinks you need a BS [bwah] from OSU to post here :group:
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:39 pm

furls wrote:

Resident Straw

^^^^ accurate!
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Good to hear. Cant wait until the season to get some discussion going around here.
Symbolic47

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:17 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
furls wrote:

Resident Troll

Cry baby ^^^^^^^ with thin skin who obviously thinks you need a BS [bwah] from OSU to post here :group:

/yawn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

I have met many of your ilk, if I wanted your "objectivity" or whatever you think it is you do here, I would go to a National board, I like to talk OSU sports with other OSU fans. Strangely, this is a forum with a big block O on it.... which inherently implies subjectivity, on a website called "theclevelandfan.com" which implies that is a place where fans of ohio teams mingle and discuss ohio sports.

You come here and spew a bunch of crap about OSU teams, on an OSU fan board, and you somehow think you are not a troll? I am not a crybaby, and I do not have thin skin; I just don't come here to deal with your tired schtick. You contribute nothing of value, so again I ask....

anyone have any info on an ignore user function?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:22 pm

So who is everyone thinking gets the nod at QB? IMO I DO NOT want to see grandpa Joe. Give the shot to Braxton, or hell, even Graham. But I think its safe to say Braxton will be the starter by Michigan State.
Symbolic47

Unread postby StewieG » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Furls,

Click on FMB's name. You'll see a couple links. Click the one that says "add foe". FMB will now be ignored :)
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Sweet, thanks

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:22 pm

Symbolic47 wrote:So who is everyone thinking gets the nod at QB? IMO I DO NOT want to see grandpa Joe. Give the shot to Braxton, or hell, even Graham. But I think its safe to say Braxton will be the starter by Michigan State.

Bauserman knows the playbook the best, but that's all he's best at.

Braxton Miller will either start or just play a lot.

They like Taylor Graham a lot too...smart with a big arm, but with some serious mobility drawbacks.

Guiton is (sorry) Miller Lite. Does what Miller can do, but with an inferior arm. Also doesn't quite have Miller's open field "feel".

I like Miller's chances to start in a "start fresh" kind of season.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:00 pm

I generally agree with you, Dan. I think that we'll see a battle between Miller and Graham essentially boil down in training camp. Miller's upside is just too much to have on the bench, considering the growing pains that this offense is going to have this year with the five missing starters.

I'm really thinking that this year will be a success at 8-4, with an Outback/Gator Bowl berth the likely outcome. The D alone will be able to pull out 6-7 wins against the schedule that we have this year, and giving Miller a year to develop with a young WR core (outside of Posey) should lead to a much more successful 2012. I'm not sure that 8-4 will be enough to keep Fickell HC, but that decision is going to be made in Orton Hall.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Purdue fan since birth.

But, I really like the Bucks, and they're my 2nd favorite big ten team. Never have had any hatred towards them (own jersey's and hats, and hate michigan, etc), and would love to go see a game in the shoe sometime.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Buckeyes are my favorite football team regardless of the level.

Buckeye fans are amongst the most annoying people on earth.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:42 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Buckeyes are my favorite football team regardless of the level.

Everytime I look at a national message board or a comment posted under a national article by my OSU bretheren, I am embarrassed. I love my Bucks, but our vocal minority is just unbearable.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:44 pm

fairvis wrote:I generally agree with you, Dan. I think that we'll see a battle between Miller and Graham essentially boil down in training camp. Miller's upside is just too much to have on the bench, considering the growing pains that this offense is going to have this year with the five missing starters.

I'm really thinking that this year will be a success at 8-4, with an Outback/Gator Bowl berth the likely outcome. The D alone will be able to pull out 6-7 wins against the schedule that we have this year, and giving Miller a year to develop with a young WR core (outside of Posey) should lead to a much more successful 2012. I'm not sure that 8-4 will be enough to keep Fickell HC, but that decision is going to be made in Orton Hall.

Miller will have to start because of the OLine at least until he get his LT back from suspension. It will be a survivability issue, just like it was for Pryor vs. Boeckman.

I think you underestimate the defense. The defense is good enough to win 9 games this year. I love this defense at every level. DLine will be amazing, LBs will be rock solid and secondary will actually be better.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:47 pm

furls wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Buckeyes are my favorite football team regardless of the level.

Everytime I look at a national message board or a comment posted under a national article by my OSU bretheren, I am embarrassed. I love my Bucks, but our vocal minority is just unbearable.

Everytime I venture over to the Scout Buckeye board I have to bleach my brain afterward.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:46 pm

Yea the Scout board is really bad. I stopped posting there for those reasons.

I dont think there is any way we lose more than two games this year. The defense is good enough to win us 8 by themselves. And the offense should gradually get better as the season moves along. We got 4 pretty easy games until Michigan State.
Symbolic47

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:35 pm

I think everyone is a little embarrassed by their home fans; I know I can't spend more than 20 minutes on a LSU board without shaking my head at some of the ridiculous, small-minded shit being thrown around. But you take the good with the bad, you know?

I made small talk with a ton of Buckeye fans the day of the title game in '07. Only ran into one super douche, and luckily for me he was sitting next to me at the game.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:07 pm

The internet changed everything. All passionate fan bases have a bunch of douche bags. It's just the nature of the beast. Just so happens that tOSU has one of the biggest followings in any sport in America. So it only makes sense there is going to be a bunch of idiots. Just my perspective however.
Symbolic47

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:08 am

StewieG wrote:Furls,

Click on FMB's name. You'll see a couple links. Click the one that says "add foe". FMB will now be ignored :)

Proves my point about furls being a cry baby and internet attention whore ^^^^^^

He thinks he's met people like me before............ :lmfao:
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:16 pm

I am finally starting to get amped for the season....

Took a look at the roster for the first time in months....if nothing else this will be one of the most interesting buckeye seasons in my lifetime, lots of unknowns. And despite the horrific last 6 months, that's oddly a little exciting.

Love CFB in general, looking forward to less talk and more football.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:39 pm

JCoz wrote:Love CFB in general, looking forward to less talk and more football.

Amen.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:02 pm

JCoz wrote:I am finally starting to get amped for the season....

Took a look at the roster for the first time in months....if nothing else this will be one of the most interesting buckeye seasons in my lifetime, lots of unknowns. And despite the horrific last 6 months, that's oddly a little exciting.

Maybe it is just the eternal optimist in me looking through my scarlet and grey colored glasses, but this year's team is very exciting.... lot's of playmakers. The only position I am really worried about is WR. There is talent at QB, and I am sure they will make mistakes, but ehh, it happens.

I am terrified about the WRs.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:36 pm

furls wrote:

Maybe it is just the eternal optimist in me looking through my scarlet and grey colored glasses, but this year's team is very exciting.... lot's of playmakers. The only position I am really worried about is WR. There is talent at QB, and I am sure they will make mistakes, but ehh, it happens.

Totally agree. The talent from top to bottom is unreal at every position. The depth is everywhere except O Line. The WR's just have to tread water until Posey comes back, as that will open it up a ton. I look for Stoney and Hall to be the main receiving threats the first 5 games. With lots and lots of running plays.
Symbolic47

Unread postby FortheWin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:33 pm

I hate Ohio state.
GO BIG BLUE!
DON'T QUIT
FortheWin

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:21 pm

furls wrote:

Between Philly Brown, fields, Ty Williams, and James Louis....along with smith and Spencer, I'm ancy, but not frightened. So much potential there, we will see a future stud emerge sooner than later IMO, and with any luck several, this is Ohio state, this is an awful lot of raw talent I'm confident we can do something with it.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:00 pm

My problem with the WR's after watching all three spring scrimmages is that only Verlon Reed looks to me to have "naturally" good hands. Brown's hands were shown to be suspect last year, and he did nothing in the spring to renew anyone's confidence. Fields caught most everything thrown his way, but he will not keep any defensive coordinators awake nights.

T.Y. Williams' sample size is too small to make a judgment call on him yet, but the upside is very high, it appears.

Devin Smith does have the naturally good hands, and he will compete for the ball in the air with DB's....and win most of the time.

They did show in the spring that they intend to keep it "high percentage" in the passing game, and use the TE's and backs a lot. I know, they say it every year, but they did throw more to TE's last year than in the past, and the spring play-calling leads me to believe it will continue on that trend line.

danwismar

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:46 pm

Devin Smith will be our 2nd WR by the end of the season behind Posey IMO with Philly as the 3rd/slot guy. At the very least, Philly will force teams to be honest in the secondary. That kid is electric, and can get behind any secondary we will see. Put that together with Stoney, and our running backs, I think we are going to be much better than many expect. Start Braxton from day one, let him take his lumps early, then play ball control all season. It should work with our running game( with the oft overlooked Zack boren as the best FB in the Big 10) and incredible defense.
Symbolic47

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:33 am

Symbolic47 wrote:Devin Smith will be our 2nd WR by the end of the season behind Posey IMO with Philly as the 3rd/slot guy. At the very least, Philly will force teams to be honest in the secondary. That kid is electric, and can get behind any secondary we will see. Put that together with Stoney, and our running backs, I think we are going to be much better than many expect. Start Braxton from day one, let him take his lumps early, then play ball control all season. It should work with our running game( with the oft overlooked Zack boren as the best FB in the Big 10) and incredible defense.

Sounds about right. Could be another '09 type season, with Braxton playing the role of Pryor, and Hall/Smith/Hyde/Berry playing the roles of one Chris Wells. That team did finish 10-3, win the Big 10, and lose to Texas on a last second play because Anderson Russell couldn't tackle.

The thing is that I'll be looking for is to see if Hall/Smith/Hyde/Berry can be Chris Wells. I'll be interested to see if it can actually work.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:29 am

Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:09 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:http://www.wtsp.com/slideshows/2010/gallery.aspx?slideshowname=Casey_Anthony_Before_Photos

Before I say anything about that post, why don't you try explaining what you were trying to convey by posting those pictures, as it pertains to this thread?
JCoz

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:34 am

Pretty sure it was this:

^in the bottom 10th percentile of loathsome anOSU fans.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:44 am

Just a coup de gras for furls :thumb up:
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:15 pm

Well I think Hall has been moved to WR in the offseason. Thats not to see he wont see snaps behind the line, but I anticipate they want to develop him into a slot guy. I don't know if this is more indicative of our strength at running back, or a possible weakness at receiver. But regardless I like the move. Jordan is shifty, and cuts on a dime. He's also small and doesn't have high top end speed. A move to the slot could really help him and the team if he can learn the nuances of the position.
Symbolic47

Return to College Sports Arena