Text Size

College Sports Arena

Buckeyes to Vacate Wins from '10 Season

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Buckeyes to Vacate Wins from '10 Season

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:50 pm

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sp ... ml?sid=101

But no bowl bans or scholarship losses.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Buckeyes to Vacate Wins from '10 Season

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:08 pm

swerb wrote:http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/07/08/0708-ohio-state-pleads-case-to-ncaa.html?sid=101

But no bowl bans or scholarship losses.

Still just the self-imposed sanctions. NCAA could still hand down postseason ban or scholarship reduction on their own. Sure hope it's "just" vacating 12 wins, a B10 championship and Sugar Bowl trophy.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:19 pm

That seems pretty fair and I'm not surprised. I think most people expected them to vacate the 2010 season.

I'm a little surprised by the inclusion of the Sugar Bowl. I'm not sure why they are vacating that, as the player transgressions were already known, and it was a NCAA decision, not an OSU decision to allow those players to participate.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Now everyone go erase your memory... I can care less if there is a trophy in the woody hays athletic center, I am not allowed in there anyway... Last year, we still lost to Wisconsin, and we still beat Michigan, and Arkansas, nothing without a flux capacitor can take that away.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:04 pm

motherscratcher wrote:That seems pretty fair and I'm not surprised. I think most people expected them to vacate the 2010 season.

I'm a little surprised by the inclusion of the Sugar Bowl. I'm not sure why they are vacating that, as the player transgressions were already known, and it was a NCAA decision, not an OSU decision to allow those players to participate.

Because they were allowed to play before it was known that Tressel lied. Him knowing about it in the spring makes them ineligible for the entire season.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:25 pm

neoleo wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:That seems pretty fair and I'm not surprised. I think most people expected them to vacate the 2010 season.

Because they were allowed to play before it was known that Tressel lied. Him knowing about it in the spring makes them ineligible for the entire season.

Huh?

What those players did didn't change because Tressel lied about it. The NCAA knew what the players did. They suspended them for 5 games in 2011. They let them play in the Sugar Bowl. Nothing about that changed.

Are you saying that if Tressel reported them in April of 2010 when he got the email, they would have been suspended for the entire 2010 season? But when the same transgressions were revealed in November 2010, they were only suspended for 5 games? That doesn't make sense.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby furls » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:01 pm

Who cares about whether the Sugar Bowl is vacated.... I still have it on my DVR. I know what happens in the end!

I am completely and totally pleased with OSU's self imposed sanctions, they may or may not hold up, but I think this is the right place to start negotiations if that is what is required.

A poster made an analogy on another board that I think is very good. Basically the OSU infractions case is very similar to the Casey Anthony case. Both are guilty of something and have already been convicted in the court of public opinion, but in the end I am not sure that there is enough concrete evidence to convict either in their respective courts of law.

Think about it, for all the media mudslinging and investigating what do you have evidence of, what has been confirmed?

Tatgate and tressel lying.... check.
Pryor playing golf with posey on a private course.... check. (secondary violation)
Pryor's cars.... cleared
all other cars deals at jack maxton.... cleared
allegations against 9 players from SI article.... unsubstantiated and rumored to be cleared.
Pryor Memoribilia/autographs... no proof, numbers don't jive and he doesn't have to talk to the NCAA anymore.
Thad Gibson's 0 dollar car... cleared.
Pryor's DUS... cleared

In the end, after all the irresponsible reporting and mudslinging we are in the same place we were 3 months ago 6 players sold items for tats and Jim Tressel lied about it. Will OSUs penalties hold up? Who knows, one thing I am sure of is that there will be plenty of media outrage, like the Casey Anthony trial, when OSU does not receive a 5 year postseason ban and a reduction of 30 scholarships. There is no call for it from the NCAA, as there is no LOIC or FTM, therefore they should avoid the big ugly stick.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Not sure I really like Mandel's tone, but his facts/analysis are on point:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... ?hpt=hp_t1

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:42 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
neoleo wrote:

Huh?

What those players did didn't change because Tressel lied about it. The NCAA knew what the players did. They suspended them for 5 games in 2011. They let them play in the Sugar Bowl. Nothing about that changed.

Are you saying that if Tressel reported them in April of 2010 when he got the email, they would have been suspended for the entire 2010 season? But when the same transgressions were revealed in November 2010, they were only suspended for 5 games? That doesn't make sense.

No. I'm saying that when the charges initially came out in December, the players were declared eligible for the Sugar Bowl because: Nobody else knew about the scam, and compliance had done a poor job of teaching the rules.

That was obviously not true.

I'm saying that if it was public knowledge in December that Tressel knew about the scam and had tried to cover it up, the players would have never been declared eligible for the Sugar Bowl.

That stupid loophole that the NCAA exposed in order to keep their BCS partners happy was only available because OSU supposedly had self reported everything and was going to fix it this year with monetary paybacks and suspensions. That went out the window with the cover up.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:52 am

The guy who wrote blog on this on ESPN is a complete moron (Brian Bennett?), he states OSU insisted on playing the guilty players in the Sugar Bowl, nothing could be further from the truth. The NCAA came knocking on OSU's door suggesting, if not demanding, those 5 guys played verse Arkansas.

Mo is right up thread as well.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:31 am

Peopel have this misconception that OSU was the only party interested in keeping these players eligible. THe NCAA was absolutely culpable in that decision. Who knew what when really was not relevant, remember, it was the players that were punished, not the team at that point, not the coach. I am not sure that the NCAA would have changed the decision.

I couldn't disagree more with the notion that OSU should've suspended the players for the Sugar Bowl. THe players already received a severe penalty (1/2 season suspension) should OSU have voluntarily made it more severe and suspended them a 6th game? Why?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena