Text Size

College Sports Arena

Vrabel to Join OSU Coaching Staff

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Vrabel to Join OSU Coaching Staff

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:22 am

It's been the worst kept secret for a couple of weeks now, but today multiple reports are confirming that Mike Vrabel has agreed to join Luke Fickell's staff at OSU as linebackers' coach.

Vrabel is still technically an NFL player with the Chiefs, and has been active in the contract negotiations. He has never coached at any level of football. Vrabel was a teammate of Fickell on some pretty good OSU defenses in the mid-late 90's, and the two have reportedly remained good friends.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: Vrabel to Join OSU Coaching Staff

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Think Matt Finkes will come back to coach D-Line too?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:42 am

I friggin love this move. Fickell and Vrabel are going to bring some fire to this defense and entire team! Next we need to hire LeCharles to be the OL coach and we got one hell of a staff I think. I really believe Fickell is going to make a name for himself.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:12 am

Vrabel is obviously a good player, but will he be a good coach? We'll see on that one I guess.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:43 pm

furls wrote:Vrabel is obviously a good player, but will he be a good coach? We'll see on that one I guess.

You'd think he'd be a great recruiter.....engaging personality and excellent name recognition...Super Bowl rings, and all that. We'll see on that too.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Has there been any final confirmation on this? So far it all seems rumors. I would like some proof before I get to excited.
Symbolic47

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Media has been alerted to a "media opportunity" Monday at 10 a.m. to discuss many aspects of OSU football. The Vrabel hire is expected to be announced at that time. Fickell has been on vacation this week, and is back Mon.

Plus, as of today, his name comes up in a search of the university employee directory under with a department listing of "athletics". (So the guess is he's not joining the physics faculty)

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Known as an extremely intellegent player on Defense, I'm excited to see what he brings to the bucks. I dont think this was a bad move. High upside, and should give recruiting a shot in the arm after the penalties are finilaized.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Yep, he should definitely be good for recruiting. As we saw with Charlie Cheeseburger, those superbowl rings are good for recruiting, but in the end, you have to be able to coach. Vrabel is smart and that is a good start, he is charismatic so that is good too, now we just need to know if he can teach OSU's LEOs and LBs how to get it done (like he used to).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:33 pm

I LOVE THIS- Again I think its a spectacular hire.
Symbolic47

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:06 pm

the testimonials from Belichick were encouraging...

"During his Patriots career, there was no player more respected for his football intellect and revered for his leadership by his teammates than Mike," Belichick said in the statement. "He was elected a team captain by his peers and is a player who I think everyone knew was destined to become a coach after his NFL playing career was over.

"Mike Vrabel is as well-suited for coaching as any player I have ever coached. He has a tremendous feel for people, players, coaches and what his team needs regardless of the situation. He is outstanding in his knowledge of the game, which contributed to his excellence as a player. I have no doubt Mike will develop tough, intelligent, fundamentally sound winners."

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:07 pm

danwismar wrote:the testimonials from Belichick were encouraging...

"During his Patriots career, there was no player more respected for his football intellect and revered for his leadership by his teammates than Mike," Belichick said in the statement. "He was elected a team captain by his peers and is a player who I think everyone knew was destined to become a coach after his NFL playing career was over.

"Mike Vrabel is as well-suited for coaching as any player I have ever coached. He has a tremendous feel for people, players, coaches and what his team needs regardless of the situation. He is outstanding in his knowledge of the game, which contributed to his excellence as a player. I have no doubt Mike will develop tough, intelligent, fundamentally sound winners."

Fuck Bill Belichick.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena