Text Size

College Sports Arena

How BTN came to be

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

How BTN came to be

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:14 am

Bad blood between ESPN and the Big Ten? Nah....couldn't be.

Good story in Chicago Tribune about how a lowball offer from ESPN helped bring about the Big Ten Network...

http://trib.in/igMsrD
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: How BTN came to be

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:53 am

Interesting stuff. Wonder if there is bad blood between the two (/sarcasm).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: How BTN came to be

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:32 pm

In regards to ESPN's hatred towards the Big Ten..it's funny, I just can recall that leading up to the '06 Fiesta Bowl, they were all over the Buckeyes.

I've tried to erase it all out of my memory (with the exception of the '06 Michigan game), but wasn't Mark May all over and cheerleading for the Bucks? I can remember him doing it for the Boilermakers in '04, when they had a little run as well.

Makes me wonder. If the game had went '96 Fiesta Bowl, with the Bucks playing the role of the Cornhuskers, would we have seen the amount of criticism this conference has received over the course of the past 5 years.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Return to College Sports Arena