Text Size

College Sports Arena

Bye, Bye Terrelle

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Bye, Bye Terrelle

Unread postby BruceK » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:02 pm

BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: Bye, Bye Terrelle

Unread postby mitch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Good.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Hell of a college player. Hell of an ego (allegedly).

Probably for the best.

Is miller in cbus yet?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:27 pm

TP was never a real leader. He wanted to be coddled. He wanted the world to kiss his behind. Like I said on another thread, I wish the interim guy woulda booted out of the program.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:46 pm

HE'S INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY!!!@#$!!

HE'S JUST A KID YOU CAN'T PUNISH HIM SO HE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO LEAVE!@$!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby bac5665 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:44 pm

For the best. He consistently underachieved unless the spotlight was on him and he clearly has the maturity of Stewie Griffin. Hell of a talent, but he's nothing till he grows up.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:40 pm

MKimESPNAmerica Michael Kim
ESPN's Outside the Lines: Terrelle Pryor made $20,000-$40,000 autographing memorabilia, according to a former friend who witnessed it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:41 pm

HE'S JUST A KID, LET HIM BE!!!! I SCREWED UP WHEN I WAS 17!!!!!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:54 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:MKimESPNAmerica Michael Kim
ESPN's Outside the Lines: Terrelle Pryor made $20,000-$40,000 autographing memorabilia, according to a former friend who witnessed it.

In a row?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:59 pm

bac5665 wrote:For the best. He consistently underachieved unless the spotlight was on him and he clearly has the maturity of Stewie Griffin. Hell of a talent, but he's nothing till he grows up.

31-4 as a starter, 2 BCS wins, undefeated against UM...underachieving.

Tough crowd
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:30 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:48 pm

LeBron James of Ohio St.

Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl games were pretty cool and memorable. His dumbass attitude though overshadows it now.

It's the nature of the beast now though, Every College has their Terrelle Pryor's. Every damn one. I don't feel any rage towards this, nor do I feel a need to truly care all that much about it. I actually feel more upset at the NCAA, not because of them coming down and possibly put quite a damper on one of my favorite college teams, but just that I feel the whole entire process of CFB is corrupt and screws almost everyone involved with the exception of advertisers, AD's, Conference Commissioners, and TV Networks.

Something needs to be done. Enough with just putting on this dog and pony show of making some dumbass illiterate kid look like some villain that has made CFB somehow less pure in the eyes of the masses, let's see something done for the whole of college football. If you're so damn intent on making it supposedly "amateur" than treat it as such.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:54 pm

What are you talking about?!?!

All the factz aren't out!!!!

Just wait and see, it's unfair to pin this on Pryor!!!!

And ignore that report at the end of the video indicating there may be others implicated by a different person!!!!!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:15 am

motherscratcher wrote:
bac5665 wrote:For the best. He consistently underachieved unless the spotlight was on him and he clearly has the maturity of Stewie Griffin. Hell of a talent, but he's nothing till he grows up.

Tough crowd

Mega Homer ^^^^^^ supports win at all costs

He's a punk....he's always been a punk and a punk he will remain forever

When is he going to pay back the school?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:41 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Tough crowd

Punk, yes, talent on the field, definitley. The guy won many games on his own, that can't be denied.

This coming from someone who is in no way an tOSU fan.

He paid back the school by helping them get to the big BCS paydays.

It doesn't wipe away his stupidity and sense of entitlement off the field though.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:10 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:Punk, yes, talent on the field, definitley. The guy won many games on his own, that can't be denied.

This coming from someone who is in no way an tOSU fan.

He paid back the school by helping them get to the big BCS paydays.

It doesn't wipe away his stupidity and sense of entitlement off the field though.

You're being entirely too logical and reasonable.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:56 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Tough crowd

WTF are you talking about? What does your post have to do with Pryor being an underachiever?

I admit to being a homer, but I'm not any more (and probably less) biased than you are with your anti-OSU bullshit.

is he a punk? Of course. It's for the best that he's gone. I wish he never came.

But to say he's an underachiever when you consider the on field results is stupid.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Spin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:27 am

So another entitled me me athlete takes all he can get, then instead of facing the music bolts to the NFL paycheck. Last time it was USC, this time Ohio State, next time someone else. Maybe Tress enabled him, maybe not. Doesn't matter, the adult players made the decisions.

And everyone else takes the punishment.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:52 am

Just keeps getting deeper now.....all bets are off. Let's just hope it doesn't go even further back. I've alluded to rumors I'd heard concerning TP here before, I sincerely hope those aren't true as well. Not sure I quite understand your reactions E0, these kind of are the reasons you wait for all the facts. Might be even more coming too.

He might not be the dumbest, most entitled motherfucker of all motherfuckers as someone put it, but he's sure fucking my shit up. Especially if there is more coming, especially if dude was taking checks. Checks dude. Fuck me.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:57 am

If the 40K for autographs is true then OSU should be stripped of all its wins in every game he played in. Then he wouldn't have a career to be pimped....

You keep wanting to downplay the extent of the cheating by him and OSU by highlighting his play which was at best mediocre cuz for a year and a half I've read a couple thousand posts here to the contray

...but hey, if your life is consumed by beating Michigan then it's worth whatever it cost, eh?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:16 am

Let's also hope it doesn't spread to other sports teams. That's a legit fear at this point as well IMO. Christ, the Boise State Tennis program is what got them in the crosshairs.

We're not all that far removed from Buckeye hoops players shooting at tires of passing cars so maybe that can be the line of demarcation in terms of time periods.

But would anyone out there now be surprised if suddenly Da'Quan Cook or Jon Diebler had sweetheart leases of cars or apartments or access to any deals on anything that the rest of the student body wasn't privy too?

The NCAA will not stop the digging until they are 100% satisfied they have unearthed just about everything they can. Because they won't hand down sanctions/punishments only to be embarrassed by new allegations a week later.

And I still stand by characterization of Pryor. Specifically in the manner in which it was said regarding OSU and it's sports history. Dude will go down as the worst of the worst.
JCoz wrote:Just keeps getting deeper now.....all bets are off. Let's just hope it doesn't go even further back. I've alluded to rumors I'd heard concerning TP here before, I sincerely hope those aren't true as well. Not sure I quite understand your reactions E0, these kind of are the reasons you wait for all the facts. Might be even more coming too.

He might not be the dumbest, most entitled motherfucker of all motherfuckers as someone put it, but he's sure fucking my shit up. Especially if there is more coming, especially if dude was taking checks. Checks dude. Fuck me.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:21 am

motherscratcher wrote:

Tough crowd

When all said and done...

2 vacated BCS wins and I have no idea how that works on all those other wins but possibly the 1st ever 3 vacated OSU-UM games.

Yeah, tough crowd... ::doh::
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:37 am

What don't you understand.

I'm disgusted by the program and equally disgusted by the Buckeye Nation fucks that have consistently stuck their heads in the sand and screamed about him being a kid and all the other bullshit excuses that have been made even while the dots have been hitting their i's and t's been crossed w/ this kid off the field since before he stepped on campus.

It's the same as Dan's bullshit reaction to Tressel.

Just because you close your eyes doesn't mean it's not there. Glad anyone who called TPeezy2 out on these boards got lectured though (not specifically by you). Glad you fucks got to sit on your pulpits and preach for a few years while collecting wins only to be later vacated. Hope it was worth it.

And way to put it all on the line for this kid and his golden arm Tressel. Nice standards.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:51 am

In a nutshell and in family-friendly language I guess this is accurate.

Just wonder where these articles were between recruiting press conferences and goodbye though.

To me this is as much an indictment of the beat writers in Columbus as it is one of Pryor. Some beat writers are so lazy they wouldn't go to the room next to the one they were sitting in if the story was there. I see it at Progressive Filed whenever I go there and it sure as hell happens in Columbus too.

The warning signs were everywhere in terms of tpeezy2. A ride through the player's parking lot might have tipped someone off.

Just as his clamoring for national attention during his recruitment did, just as his human crutches routine after the Sugar Bowl did, just as his Twitter account apparently did, just as his hero worship of LBJ did...etc., etc.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sp ... ml?sid=101

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:55 am

Bottom line is TP is most likely the worst thing to happen to OSU, ever. It doesn't mean some things didn't go on at tOSU before he arrived, but b/c of the how he arrived and the expectations that arrived with him it makes it that much worse.

Yeah he created some great on the field memories for us fans but he also let a lot of opportunities slip away as well. In the end I personally do not think any of his time here, whether BCS or michigan wins was worth it at all. I'd rather the program have gone through a few disappointing seasons or a rebuild (which let's face it at OSU those are not horrible seasons) and watched some other kids get a shot at big time football and making a name for themselves.

With guys like Pryor though we deserve part of the blame b/c of how high we prop them up before they do a god damn thing.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 am

What about the main site writer where who was just as guilty as anyone of preaching and ignoring?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:19 pm

Everyone here does something else for a living. The amount of time Dan puts in on the Buckeyes stuff is crazy and comes at all hours. It's exhaustive in terms of writing what he sees.

That said, Dan is not a news reporter by trade and he doesn't spend his day following the players, in the locker room or at the training facility.

I've disagreed with Dan plenty about Pryor. That's our main source of disagreement. I do agree with Dan that while Tressel showed himself to be like most others in terms of the program, that doesn't discount the lives he changed in and out of the program for the better.

Dan waits for confirmation and writes what he sees and what is confirmed. Some of us are quicker to judge. Sometimes that makes you look like a sage, sometimes like a sap.

But it's not for lack of effort or involvement with Dan. That much is for sure. He's just not privy to the details that I have no doubt he would convey to all of us because his bills aren't paid by this gig.

End of the day there's not a single person I can think of I'd rather have writing Buckeyes here. His stuff, IMO, is better than most, and if he was hesitant to condemn Pryor previously that puts him in a class with many of those beat writers who are paid to know the more intimate details.

A preacher like me can't (well, shouldn't) preach about those who are also preaching.

I'm guilty of that way more often than I probably should be.

YMMV

e0y2e3 wrote:What about the main site writer where who was just as guilty as anyone of preaching and ignoring?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:22 pm

My only point is that, IMO, Dan has proven to be as Shill as Shill comes when it comes to the program. He refuses to look outside any box until he is punched in the face with the facts six times over.

He's a gifted writer re: the on the field game and I won't ever take that away from him.

But he's been exposed as an apologist and shill to no end on these matters.

And he didn't just write and react Peeks, he's made excuses... repeatedly.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Either way, I've said my peace.

Glad that head in sand thing worked out for you Dan.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:32 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:My only point is that, IMO, Dan has proven to be as Shill as Shill comes when it comes to the program. He refuses to look outside any box until he is punched in the face with the facts six times over.

He's a gifted writer re: the on the field game and I won't ever take that away from him.

But he's been exposed as an apologist and shill to no end on these matters.

And he didn't just write and react Peeks, he's made excuses... repeatedly.

OK fine, but you do you need to scream about it all day every day just for the sliver of attention it gives you.

For fuck's sake.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 pm

All day every day?

Perhaps we should discuss the more relevant OSU issues in June of this year:

^ there how does that work for you?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Discuss away, but Dan Wismar isn't the issue, well except to only you.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:43 pm

All of Buckeye Nation and the douche reactions we have been privy to by the effing apologists is a big part of the issue and frankly they deserve this.

I only brought up Dan as a follow on Peeks point re: Beat guys. It's often bragged here about having a front page that is as talented as any Beat reporter, so why don't the same standards of objectivity apply? <-- a fair question and one Peeks sort of answered and I moved on.

You, however, had to get your FUDU in and here we sit.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:57 pm

Yep, I'm the one trying to make this about me.

Dude you had 4 posts of screams and moans of your Dan implications in this thread alone, just in 24 hours, let alone what you might have posted in the other threads.

We get it, you want Dan to bow down to your superior intellect and I told you so crap, sheesh can't you just tell him he isn't intelligent enough to watch the same TV shows as you and move on.

Game 4 was the smartest basketball game ever played, b/c I watched it!1!!

Tool.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:57 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I only brought up Dan as a follow on Peeks point re: Beat guys. It's often bragged here about having a front page that is as talented as any Beat reporter, so why don't the same standards of objectivity apply? <-- a fair question and one Peeks sort of answered and I moved on.

Well, I do think that the writers here bring different things. Dan is polished and writes less opinionated articles than someone like me who has nothing other than observational, opinionated smartassedness to offer.

Thankfully I studied it and have practiced it for years. Unfortunately the Pulitzer people still refuse to recognize it.

And like I said, I think Dan writes better than most beat writers and is more engaged than most as well. Does he take a more administrative/player friendly tact? No more so than the beat writers that he out-writes IMO.

I guess what I'm saying in terms of the articles (and message boards are simply different for most people- totally different point and one I understand you making in this context) is that I think you have to compare Dan's work on the front page to the work of the beat people. Comparing him to people who write nationally is an apples-to-oranges pursuit in my eyes.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:04 pm

FUDU wrote:Yep, I'm the one trying to make this about me.

Dude you had 4 posts of screams and moans of your Dan implications in this thread alone, just in 24 hours, let alone what you might have posted in the other threads.

We get it, you want Dan to bow down to your superior intellect and I told you so crap, sheesh can't you just tell him he isn't intelligent enough to watch the same TV shows as you and move on.

Game 4 was the smartest basketball game ever played, b/c I watched it!1!!

Tool.

Actually I was just making fun of all of the excuses made by Buckeye Nation in this thread until Peeks made his point, to which I asked a question I had genuine curiousity out of.

Now though, here we sit, reading FUDU being FUDU.

And I have citicised Wismar to his face previously based on things he has written. This time it was based on what Peeks point was.

Go along or we can keep having this side bar and making this thread "about anyone but YOU!!!!!!"
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:08 pm

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:I only brought up Dan as a follow on Peeks point re: Beat guys. It's often bragged here about having a front page that is as talented as any Beat reporter, so why don't the same standards of objectivity apply? <-- a fair question and one Peeks sort of answered and I moved on.

Well, I do think that the writers here bring different things. Dan is polished and writes less opinionated articles than someone like me who has nothing other than observational, opinionated smartassedness to offer.

Thankfully I studied it and have practiced it for years. Unfortunately the Pulitzer people still refuse to recognize it.

And like I said, I think Dan writes better than most beat writers and is more engaged than most as well. Does he take a more administrative/player friendly tact? No more so than the beat writers that he out-writes IMO.

I guess what I'm saying in terms of the articles (and message boards are simply different for most people- totally different point and one I understand you making in this context) is that I think you have to compare Dan's work on the front page to the work of the beat people. Comparing him to people who write nationally is an apples-to-oranges pursuit in my eyes.

Fair enough. We'll agree to disagree. No need to carry this further. You get my point and I get yours. I just think you have to balance what you say re: Beat Reporters, how you treat your front page and how your front page writers are acting and the "analysis" (can you even call it that in this instance???? maybe "excuse generation") that is out there on record.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:44 pm

For EO, no amount of front page writing by me about Tressel and his dishonesty, lying and cheating, or about Pryor and his immaturity and selfishness is ever going be sufficient to suit him. He says he doesn't read it anyway. I really can't concern myself with one non-reader who so obviously has a personal hard-on of some sort for Tressel...(based on some years old slight maybe?...back in the days when he, as he repeatedly tells us, "played in the system"?...don't know the history...don't care) who wants to lecture me about a lack of objectivity...well, like I said...can't lose sleep over it.

It's opinion journalism. It's not the Columbus Dispatch. Get over it. I'm not totally objective. That's the point of the word "Fan" in the name of the site. But to take the leap from that to claim that there are things that I am unable to "see" because I'm a lifelong OSU fan, insults my intellect. And to say that there are things I see that I refuse to report insults my integrity. I reject both claims, (if that is in fact what he is saying.)

The thing I find comical is the relentless "shill" charge....because what does an OSU shill really look like in this case? Someone who insists nobody at Ohio State did anything wrong, I guess. Whoever that may be, it ain't me. Is a shill someone who unwaveringly supports Gene Smith? Or who says Tressel did nothing seriously wrong? Or who says the players' suspensions were unjustified? Does a shill support Pryor...or the OSU staff that cut him loose? This whole thing is such a train wreck that there is virtually no one alive who is unreservedly sticking up for the "OSU program"....the definition (or so I thought) of a "shill".

EO's definition is apparently anyone who disagrees with him, or doesn't share his particular biases. I'm over it....long ago.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:46 pm

danwismar wrote:Lots of crap (including a badly missed attempt to burn me).... blah blah blah... I'm not totally objective. ...more crap......

:thumb up:
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:21 pm

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?" - John Maynard Keynes

But back to the topic of Terrelle Pryor...if anyone is still interested in talking about that???

Two questions I struggle to find the answers to, and would be interested in others opinions and thoughts...

1) Why the hell did Jim Tressel throw away his career for this guy? Was it hubris?...a conceit that some guys who fancy themselves mentors to young people seem to have that no matter how many times a guy shits on you, you still are convinced he's better off with you than without you? Does the motive of protecting, at great personal risk obviously, his chance at winning the 2010 NC, explain his actions adequately to you? As for me, I remain confused and skeptical about that as the one and only explanation.

2) We are now told that rather than selling a few items for a couple grand, Pryor in fact sold a whole lot of shit, assembly-line style if the reports are credible... for probably ten times that much. I'm sorry but I don't understand the "demand" side of this economic arrangement. I mean, even before his scandalous exit, how much would you (presumably Buckeye fans) have paid for a Terrelle Pryor autograph?

If Michael Jordan set up a stand at the mall, could he earn $40,000 selling his autograph? Probably. Tiger Woods, maybe. But how many others? College football players? Seriously?

I didn't check this out myself, but read some guys who did saying they checked eBay today and found 38 hits on a search for "Terrelle Pryor autographed" items for sale. But the number for the search "Andrew Luck autographed" items returned something like 75 hits. What can we make of that? One guy was offering a prize if anyone could demonstrate a search under any prominent CFB player for whom a similar search resulted in zero hits. Not drawing any conclusions....just thought it was interesting.

By the way, it appears from multiple reports that the anonymous friend of Pryor that was the source for the ESPN OTL story was former quarterback Antonio Henton. FYI. (Edit: see EO below...he's right...I was relying on an earlier...and inaccurate...report. Henton left OSU in Jan. 2008)

Thoughts?
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Henton was gone when Pryor got there according to Marcus Hartman's twitter. Pryor was allegedly friends with his brother, not him.

As for the rest, well, at least you read 11Ws before trotting in here and the quote is cute.

"When I finally acknowledge what I have been denying and excusing despite ridiculous amounts of evidence I pretend like I'm super smart for waiting!!!"
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:38 pm

And Bomani Jones is right… WTF is up with this source dumbass…?

All he had them do was black out his face and not say his name. Like people don’t know who the guy w/ a baby fro and THAT VOICE is. How does he not even effing ask them to alter his voice? His identity has to be known, that much is sure.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:54 pm

I don't know Dan. Not sure why Tressel would throw it away for Pryor. My first thoughts though? Because he'd done it and gotten away with his life for others like Mo Clarett, etc.

As to who wants this kind of stuff? No idea. Never, EVER been an autograph guy. I have two items in my life that I got signed:

1. A football from select Browns from the '86 team when I worked there.

2. An Ozzie Newsome signed SI issue with him catching a ball during the 2bl OT game against the Jets that season.

I have no idea why people would value the tpeezy2 stuff to the point he could make a living off of it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:08 pm

peeker643 wrote:Let's also hope it doesn't spread to other sports teams. That's a legit fear at this point as well IMO. Christ, the Boise State Tennis program is what got them in the crosshairs.

We're not all that far removed from Buckeye hoops players shooting at tires of passing cars so maybe that can be the line of demarcation in terms of time periods.

But would anyone out there now be surprised if suddenly Da'Quan Cook or Jon Diebler had sweetheart leases of cars or apartments or access to any deals on anything that the rest of the student body wasn't privy too?

The NCAA will not stop the digging until they are 100% satisfied they have unearthed just about everything they can. Because they won't hand down sanctions/punishments only to be embarrassed by new allegations a week later.

And I still stand by characterization of Pryor. Specifically in the manner in which it was said regarding OSU and it's sports history. Dude will go down as the worst of the worst.

The worst of the worst at OSU? I hadn't read that specifically, but you'd be hard pressed to say he isn't headed towards joining the pantheon of monumental fuck-ups............. at 90mph.

He might never end up in SUV with a Michigan Militia's share of artillery wearing a bulletproof vest and a beer helmet strapped with grey goose bottles instead of Budweiser, and he might not end up robbing a Columbus resident at gunpoint for $30 and cell phone, but then again, MoC brought only us 1 NCAA violation and it was minor.

At this point it really doesn't matter what place he ends up, I'll leave the rankings to someone else. Point is that if this end up more provable than MoC's violations and Reggie's, he's definitely going to do the most damage to this school.

He hasn't done anything illegal yet, which is good from the standpoint that cops aren't involved but there can be no rational confidence in him handling any situation in the best way, so its time to strap on the seatbelt.

Agree with everything else as well.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:08 pm

peeker643 wrote:2. An Ozzie Newsome signed SI issue with him catching a ball during the 2bl OT game against the Jets that season.

My son has that same SI issue, also with Ozzie's autograph on it, framed and hanging on the wall of his old bedroom in my house. He was seven at the time. I guess if he left it, that makes it mine now.

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:29 pm

danwismar wrote:"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?" - John Maynard Keynes

But back to the topic of Terrelle Pryor...if anyone is still interested in talking about that???

Two questions I struggle to find the answers to, and would be interested in others opinions and thoughts...

1) Why the hell did Jim Tressel throw away his career for this guy? Was it hubris?...a conceit that some guys who fancy themselves mentors to young people seem to have that no matter how many times a guy shits on you, you still are convinced he's better off with you than without you? Does the motive of protecting, at great personal risk obviously, his chance at winning the 2010 NC, explain his actions adequately to you? As for me, I remain confused and skeptical about that as the one and only explanation.

2) We are now told that rather than selling a few items for a couple grand, Pryor in fact sold a whole lot of shit, assembly-line style if the reports are credible... for probably ten times that much. I'm sorry but I don't understand the "demand" side of this economic arrangement. I mean, even before his scandalous exit, how much would you (presumably Buckeye fans) have paid for a Terrelle Pryor autograph?

If Michael Jordan set up a stand at the mall, could he earn $40,000 selling his autograph? Probably. Tiger Woods, maybe. But how many others? College football players? Seriously?

I didn't check this out myself, but read some guys who did saying they checked eBay today and found 38 hits on a search for "Terrelle Pryor autographed" items for sale. But the number for the search "Andrew Luck autographed" items returned something like 75 hits. What can we make of that? One guy was offering a prize if anyone could demonstrate a search under any prominent CFB player for whom a similar search resulted in zero hits. Not drawing any conclusions....just thought it was interesting.

By the way, it appears from multiple reports that the anonymous friend of Pryor that was the source for the ESPN OTL story was former quarterback Antonio Henton. FYI. (Edit: see EO below...he's right...I was relying on an earlier...and inaccurate...report. Henton left OSU in Jan. 2008)

Thoughts?

1) You've provided one possibility, Peeker another. The other, most ugly possibility that is that Tressel had some personal dirt tied to TP.

2) I dont know, I mean if he assembly lined it 35-40 times, as alleged, Maybe he signed 30-50 things each sit down. If he got $500-1000 each sitting you are talking $10-$25 an item, wouldn't be hard to make money on that I would guess.

Interesting point on the Ebay, I think I'll check that out myself out of curiosity when I have time later.
JCoz

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:15 pm

you knew freek was going to be on the case...

"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:23 pm

^Dammit, was just gonna post this.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:23 pm

I can't ever hate Freeks work....hilarious as it can be for a OSU fan right now in my case...
JCoz

Unread postby Spin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Who said nobody in the "pros" want him?

The Saskatchewan Roughriders bought the rights to him just now.

I wish I could make shit like that up...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Next

Return to College Sports Arena