Text Size

College Sports Arena

Interesting article from Whitlock

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Interesting article from Whitlock

Unread postby furls » Tue May 31, 2011 4:56 pm

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootbal ... tem-053111

I liked this article a lot, makes some great points about rereporting the same information.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Interesting article from Whitlock

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue May 31, 2011 6:11 pm

Whitlock always brings solid takes
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby FUDU » Tue May 31, 2011 6:42 pm

Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 31, 2011 7:26 pm

Liked this passage ...

Kids on a football team traded memorabilia for tats, weed and cars. We already knew or suspected all of this, but Sports Illustrated repackaged all of this information, painted the picture that Tressel called himself “Jesus,” and then the magazine pretended that Tressel’s demise wasn’t sealed until it informed Ohio State administrators about his horrific pattern of corruption.

Kids traded their possessions for things they wanted, and Tressel feigned he didn’t know anything about it.

Oh, the horror.

Tressel would appear more honorable if he recruited kids and then jumped from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida in a span of three or four years.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:33 pm

swerb wrote:Liked this passage ...

Kids on a football team traded memorabilia for tats, weed and cars. We already knew or suspected all of this, but Sports Illustrated repackaged all of this information, painted the picture that Tressel called himself “Jesus,” and then the magazine pretended that Tressel’s demise wasn’t sealed until it informed Ohio State administrators about his horrific pattern of corruption.

Kids traded their possessions for things they wanted, and Tressel feigned he didn’t know anything about it.

Oh, the horror.

Tressel would appear more honorable if he recruited kids and then jumped from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida in a span of three or four years.

Last part sounds like a guy many are trumpeting for the job if he once again goes back to not caring about his family so much.

6 months ago the thought of this thread or the "Tressel's Out" thread woulda been too surreal to consider. Now Whitlock is the voice of reason as we bury a disgraced former coach that went 9-1 against UM.

My head is hurting again.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 31, 2011 7:50 pm

I just agree with the overall tenor of the column from Whitlock. Again, this shit happens at every program. And every coach knows about it. And knows they are powerless to stop it.

TSV was so numb to it that he actually forwarded an email about it out.

Stupid more than corrupt.

That fucking moron at SI, Mark May ... these clowns trying to paint TSV as knowingly presiding over a culture of corruption, give me a fucking break.

The shit the kids did - shouldn't even be illegal. Forget the fucking cover up of these "heinous" crimes. To even try and put this on par with handing out suitcases of cash to kids dads ... its just laughable to me. You got coaches making 5 mill a year. Programs like tOSU making hundreds of millions of dollars for the school. And the kids, many coming from shaky upbringings, making squa-doosh.

99% of these kids have 3-4 years of being semi-celebs and are gonna live the moment. They're gonna fight, they're gonna bang 3 different chicks a week. And they're gonna sell their shit for weed, cars, and tattoos. Cause they're broke, wanna live the life for a few years, and they're gonna be working for Fed Ex in a couple years making 35k a year.

Every single major college coach knows this petty little shit happens and could care less. And even if they did care, they couldn't hope to possibly police it. Tress was so numb to it he actually forwarded emails about it. He looked at it like Cleveland cops look at rolling a stop sign. Roll that stop sign in Bay Village and you're gonna get pulled over. Cleveland cops gonna not even notice as he looks past you for someone selling crank.

Tressel isn't disgraced at all in my eyes. He's the same good man he was a year ago. Naive? Yes. Culture of corruption? Give me a fucking break. Four weeks on campus digging for that piece ... best he can come up with is more kids selling pins for tats, Robert Fucking Rose, and some bullshit rigged reverse raffle when Tress was like 23. Culture of corruption my ass. Go fuck yourself Mark May. Idiot.

Jim Fucking Tressel losing his job over kids selling jerseys and pins for tattoos. You gotta be kidding me.

Talk about a system being broken.

Whitlock nailed it.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue May 31, 2011 7:52 pm

Quote Doc Holliday: "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds"
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 31, 2011 8:07 pm

swerb wrote:I just agree with the overall tenor of the column from Whitlock. Again, this shit happens at every program. And every coach knows about it. And knows they are powerless to stop it.

TSV was so numb to it that he actually forwarded an email about it out.

Stupid more than corrupt.

That fucking moron at SI, Mark May ... these clowns trying to paint TSV as knowingly presiding over a culture of corruption, give me a fucking break.

The shit the kids did - shouldn't even be illegal. Forget the fucking cover up of these "heinous" crimes. To even try and put this on par with handing out suitcases of cash to kids dads ... its just laughable to me. You got coaches making 5 mill a year. Programs like tOSU making hundreds of millions of dollars for the school. And the kids, many coming from shaky upbringings, making squa-doosh.

99% of these kids have 3-4 years of being semi-celebs and are gonna live the moment. They're gonna fight, they're gonna bang 3 different chicks a week. And they're gonna sell their shit for weed, cars, and tattoos. Cause they're gonna be working for Fed Ex in a couple years making 35k a year.

Every single major college coach knows this petty little shit happens and could care less. And even if they did care, they couldn't hope to possibly police it. Tress was so numb to it he actually forwarded emails about it. He looked at it like jaywalking.

Tressel isn't disgraced at all in my eyes. He's the same good man he was a year ago. Naive? Yes. Culture of corruption? Give me a fucking break. Four weeks on campus digging for that piece ... best he can come up with is more kids selling pins for tats, Robert Fucking Rose, and some bullshit rigged reverse raffle when Tress was like 23. Culture of corruption my ass. Go fuck yourself Mark May. Idiot.

Jim Fucking Tressel losing his job over kids selling jerseys and pins for tattoos. You gotta be kidding me.

Talk about a system being broken.

Whitlock nailed it.

Good god, man, you're on fire.

Fantastic.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue May 31, 2011 8:22 pm

^^^Rrr-Rrr

Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:24 pm

swerb wrote:I just agree with the overall tenor of the column from Whitlock. Again, this shit happens at every program. And every coach knows about it. And knows they are powerless to stop it.

I agree it happens pretty much everywhere. And I agree with the Whitlock column too. And if Colin Cowherd makes sense tomorrow I'm slitting my own throat.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue May 31, 2011 9:08 pm

Son of a bitch.

I have no idea what's gotten into Whitlock, but he's actually turned out a few damned good articles as of late relating to TWOA and not drinking the kool-aid on it. He does come off as someone who's actually thinking for himself, which I respect in the current world of sports journalism.

Good article here. Enjoyed the swipes he took at ESPN as well.

There was a good piece on deadspin that's nailed it, in regards to comparing the guys who write these exposes on the the Tressell's and Carroll's of the world, and rather than doing a damn thing about calling out the corruption in the system itself, they play the part of being a mall cop for the NC-Two A.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Return to College Sports Arena