Text Size

College Sports Arena

Tressel Out

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Tressel Out

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon May 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Tressel lied. That he is guilty.

I only wonder if he really "did not report" the news to his superiors.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... =cf_t11_a1

This article speaks to the fact that he has no feasible deniability. The emails he cannot deny.

However, I can certainly paint a picture of TSV going to his superiors to discuss the issue, and them telling him to make it go away. But since this might have been a verbal discussion (not email), TSV's bosses have plausible deniability. If this is the case, TSV is certainly falling on the proverbial sword or grenade for everyone else.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:33 pm

Sad day for Buckeye fans. Sure Tressel screwed up, but I cant imagine a better Ambassador for our University. I think Luke will do a good job, but Saturdays are gonna be a little weird this fall.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby FUDU » Mon May 30, 2011 7:31 pm

Mark May is still a douche, and a jackass.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby scrambler » Mon May 30, 2011 7:51 pm

googleeph2 wrote:
scrambler wrote:a class A hypocrite.

He's been clear that he values integrity and doing things the right way.
No hypocrisy there.

Did he also say he was perfect?

I disagree, the guys a liar...period. I'm guessing he was fully aware of all the crap that went down at Youngstown STate too and he lied about that too. What other conclusions can we make now? Great football coach, period. that's it. The rest is an act very similar to HOltz who left a trail of destruction every institution he went. Lou played the cornpone humor woe is me card while Tressel is very understated in his "professioral" schtick.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon May 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Holy fuckballs I keep getting friggin DNS Errors everytime I try to surf here, not sure if it's my internet or the site's server.

I've got OSU Scanadal Overload, too much too much. Wait for the smoke to clear after August 12th (my effin birthday, fucking bullshit timing) hopefully.

Honestly if it came out that the Tat5 gang raped a nun on the Oval, it wouldn't surprise me......
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Mon May 30, 2011 9:06 pm

Im having a shit ton of problems when on this site lately.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon May 30, 2011 9:18 pm

FUDU wrote:Im having a shit ton of problems when on this site lately.

Me too. Must be TSV server overload.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:24 pm

FUDU wrote:I disagree matt, b/c of the fact that others inside probably knew plenty and JT was tFall Guy. tOSU had no guts to fire him (IMO no guts and no right to). They dump him on his ass and he can talk, and maybe he does (IMO he doesn't). JT's been mulling this over most likely for months. He's being the bigger person in all of this by resigning, whether for selfish motives or not.

Good points, and maybe Tressel, as Pup alludes, had already told OSU "Don't worry, I'll resign if I have to".

I still believe it was OSU who said "Now is the time"
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon May 30, 2011 9:45 pm

OldDawg wrote:
FUDU wrote:Im having a shit ton of problems when on this site lately.

Me too. Must be TSV server overload.

If this actually makes it onto the boards I think it will be the first time since last night. Whats going on?
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon May 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Well that post worked so I'll try another

Just finished the SI article and it sure is a bombshell.

Apparently, and you guys are NOT going to believe this, more players traded jerseys for tats. I know I know, I find it hard to believe too.

But, that's not all. And this is the big one. Back in the 80s, when Tress was an assistant, he allegedly fixed a raffle at a football camp so some kids he liked would win the raffle. It was probably like ticket to putt putt or something.

Also, college kids smoked some weed sometimes.

I will now go to ESPN and wait with baited breath to read Pat Forde's reaction.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon May 30, 2011 10:08 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Well that post worked so I'll try another

Apparently, and you guys are NOT going to believe this, more players traded jerseys for tats. I know I know, I find it hard to believe too.

But, that's not all. And this is the big one. Back in the 80s, when Tress was an assistant, he allegedly fixed a raffle at a football camp so some kids he liked would win the raffle. It was probably like ticket to putt putt or something.

I was reading that pile wondering when they were gonna get to the meat, the shit I didn't fucking know. What a massive build up for a turd sundae.

Did Ray Small write that?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 30, 2011 10:23 pm

Sad, sad day for Ohio State athletics.

Tressel lied. About some kids selling shit for tattoos and money. That was wrong of Tressel, cause he knew about it. He clearly deserved to be punished. But anyone that thinks that this error in judgement outweighs all the good he has done at OSU, or that OSU is better off ... is a moron.

I'd go further, but this says it better. Says it perfect actually:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/05/a ... -to-forget

Everything that has been exposed at OSU is happening at every major college football program in America. Only difference here is we gave people a reason to go looking for it.

Buckeyes have become heels nationally due to their success, a cocky and massive fan base, and some polarizing players. Tress lied and the media dug their fangs in. And they got the resignation they so desperately wanted.

The University, the football program, and all the kids that will go through it are worse off.

Ten great years. A national title, 8 BCS bowls, 7 Big Ten titles, and 9-1 against Michigan.

Thank you Jim.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 30, 2011 10:33 pm

Exactly.

The column is a joke.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Squints » Mon May 30, 2011 10:36 pm

Well said Swerb. Tress is a solid guy who got caught up in the current climate of big time college athletics, sacrificed his morals for a shot at winning, got caught and paid the ultimate price with his job. Thank you Jim for the last decade and all the success that you brought with it.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon May 30, 2011 10:40 pm

swerb wrote:Sad, sad day for Ohio State athletics.

Tressel lied. About some kids selling shit for tattoos and money. That was wrong of Tressel, cause he knew about it. He clearly deserved to be punished. But anyone that thinks that this error in judgement outweighs all the good he has done at OSU, or that OSU is better off ... is a moron.

I'd go further, but this says it better. Says it perfect actually:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/05/a ... -to-forget

Everything that has been exposed at OSU is happening at every major college football program in America. Only difference here is we gave people a reason to go looking for it.

Buckeyes have become heels nationally due to their success, a cocky and massive fan base, and some polarizing players. Tress lied and the media dug their fangs in. And they got the resignation they so desperately wanted.

The University, the football program, and all the kids that will go through it are worse off.

Ten great years. A national title, 8 BCS bowls, 7 Big Ten titles, and 9-1 against Michigan.

Thank you Jim.

Fuckin A.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 30, 2011 10:56 pm

And whoever said that there won't be people lined up for this job ... are you kidding me? That is hysterical and laughable. It's not only one of the top 3-4 jobs in college football, it's one of the top ten coaching jobs in the world. I really believe that. The status, fame, salary, budget, fan base, recruiting advantages ... Jesus. That and a near bye to a BCS game every year with a great shot at the NC game ... and you would have all the top names in the country ready to push their grammas down the stairs for the job.

But I don't know if it will get there. Prolly a better chance they keep Fickell. OSU has never hired a high profile coach. Woody wasn't, Earle wasn't, Coop was semi coming from ASU ... and Tress was D2, picked over Glen Fucking Mason.

They're making a mistake w Fickell, though they backed themselves in a corner promising him the first 5 games back in March.

The smart thing to do, the only move to make right now in my mind is to go HARD after Urban Meyer. If he says nay, you go after Gruden. End of story.

Both were born and raised here w local ties, both are young offensive geniuses, much needed in today's more offensively complex college game. Both could see over the 20 Year Reign of Terror we hoped and deserved to see from The Sweater Vest.

Mark Dantonio would be third on my list. I see a big gap between the three I mentioned and the rest of the contenders.

For all the reasons mentioned above, there is no job to aspire to once you are the coach of Ohio State. It could and should be the last job any of those guys ever holds, and a prerequisite for the hire.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Mon May 30, 2011 11:02 pm

Well played. Well played in deed. When I read your opening line, I was like "WTF article did that guy read." I read it and it was a bunch of fluff from a guy that likes the smell of his own farts. It was a thinly veiled hatchet job that had very little new information and terrible sources.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon May 30, 2011 11:06 pm

And that guy, George Dohrmann, tweeted that he's basically the reason that Tress resigned.

George Dohrmann = Maitre D

Jim Tressel = Abe Fromann the sausage king of Chicago

if Jim is going down, it's NOT going to be because of a guy like that.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 30, 2011 11:09 pm

furls wrote:

Well played. Well played in deed. When I read your opening line, I was like "WTF article did that guy read." I read it and it was a bunch of fluff from a guy that likes the smell of his own farts. It was a thinly veiled hatchet job that had very little new information and terrible sources.

Every player with any credibility at all either declined comment or denied what this jerk off was trying to spoon feed him.

He got Robert Rose though. Him and Ray Small, the two biggest underachieving pieces of crap this program has seen in the last ten years. Only two singing like birds. Go figure.

Malcolm Jenkins put it best in an interview on Sportscenter 3-4 nights ago when he said that he plays with and knows guys that have played on every top program in America. Not only does way more heinous shit happen at every single one of them, forgetting the after the fact damage control he shouldn't have done, no coach tries harder and puts more effort into trying to prevent that shit from happening. And that outside of the assholes like Ray Small and Rob Rose, kids leave the OSU football program better men, more ready for whatever may await them, athletically or non-athletically.

Hope Robert Rose at least bought something nice w that SI $$$. Kudos to all the others that didn't take it.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby fairvis » Mon May 30, 2011 11:12 pm

Completely pissed off, still. From 2003-2004, I was in charge of a small project for the Ohio State marching band. This project involved synthesizing the history of the marching band and redoing the history book of the marching band (entitled Script Ohio), as well as updating the past edition that had been published 15 years prior. The book was mainly concerned with yearly events, and I reformatted it to include some other aspects. 360 pages, full color, probably still available at the campus Barnes and Noble. It's my first authorship credit of any kind, and was a pain in my ass to finish up the summer between graduating and starting my master's.

In the course of redoing this book, we also produced a supplementary CD, with video of an example pregame show as well as special features, such as a stadium tour (right after the renovation, this was huge) where we had all-access to all parts of Ohio Stadium, as well as almost all of the university resources. We came up with the idea of doing a one-on-one interview with Tressel, with him discussing the band, the importance that he felt that it had within Ohio State, and his feel about the traditions that Ohio State had, and how it related to the football program.

He granted us a complete interview with us, and we set up an appointment. We showed up with a video camera, and me, my old roommate, and another guy showed up to interview him. We went to his office at Woody Hayes, and were told that he had a radio interview coming on. He invited us into his office during the radio interview, referring us as "his boys". After the radio interview, he proceeded to give us 30 minutes of his time, where we personally got to ask him questions, record the responses, and have a good discussion.

After the book was completed, we presented Tressel with the completed book as well as the supplemental CD. The book was signed by yours truly, allowing me to say that while some people have signed books from Jim Tressel, Jim Tressel has a signed book from me.

So, Tressel was more then just a football coach to me. I've had one-on-one interactions, shook his hand more then a few times because of my role with the OSUMB and what I did when I was at Ohio State. I will always respect him, and really think he was quite a victim of circumstance, but I am completely disappointed. This shit has really brought me down.

The SI article? Load of hooey, with Louis Irizarry and Rob Rose as sources? Jeez, let me show who's got an axe to grind...
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon May 30, 2011 11:13 pm

^^^exactly.

The only surprise in the entire story was that Luis Irizzary kept his pie hole shut. That would have been the trifecta of credibility right there.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon May 30, 2011 11:15 pm

I waited for that all effin day.

And it was literally a bunch of nothing.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon May 30, 2011 11:16 pm

swerb wrote:And whoever said that there won't be people lined up for this job ... are you kidding me? That is hysterical and laughable. It's not only one of the top 3-4 jobs in college football, it's one of the top ten coaching jobs in the world. I really believe that. The status, fame, salary, budget, fan base, recruiting advantages ... Jesus. That and a near bye to a BCS game every year with a great shot at the NC game ... and you would have all the top names in the country ready to push their grammas down the stairs for the job.

The SI hit piece only reaffirmed my belief. Anyone who has bodies buried in D1 isn't going to touch the program with a twelve-foot pole. Not when every media org in the nation is scouring C-Bus and even fucking Youngstown for every ticky-tack violation they can find. Gruden's about the only one clean enough.

Maybe once Pryor, Gee, and Smith all get run, then there may be some breathing room.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon May 30, 2011 11:24 pm

swerb wrote:Malcolm Jenkins put it best in an interview on Sportscenter 3-4 nights ago when he said that he plays with and knows guys that have played on every top program in America. Not only does way more heinous shit happen at every single one of them, forgetting the after the fact damage control he shouldn't have done, no coach tries harder and puts more effort into trying to prevent that shit from happening.

This. After the $250,000 Heisman winner, the knives came out for... Jim Tressel. There's something rotten in Denmark.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon May 30, 2011 11:44 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
swerb wrote:And whoever said that there won't be people lined up for this job ... are you kidding me? That is hysterical and laughable. It's not only one of the top 3-4 jobs in college football, it's one of the top ten coaching jobs in the world. I really believe that. The status, fame, salary, budget, fan base, recruiting advantages ... Jesus. That and a near bye to a BCS game every year with a great shot at the NC game ... and you would have all the top names in the country ready to push their grammas down the stairs for the job.

The SI hit piece only reaffirmed my belief. Anyone who has bodies buried in D1 isn't going to touch the program with a twelve-foot pole. Not when every media org in the nation is scouring C-Bus and even fucking Youngstown for every ticky-tack violation they can find. Gruden's about the only one clean enough.

Maybe once Pryor, Gee, and Smith all get run, then there may be some breathing room.

Lined up for the job.

Lined up.

They'll get whomever they want, when they want. And it'll happen right in front of your eyes.

The Urban Meyers of the college football world could care less about other people's shit. A part of an arrogance associated with total control.

Not sure if you're paying attention to how this all works. They aren't going to WAIT for a top 3 position to PERHAPS open up later in their careers. The answer is yes, and if all you say is true (as if they're worried about the Columbus Diaspatch snooping around) and they're takin' heat, well, they'll just move on - and not really give a shit about doing it.

But make no mistake about it, they take the job first, all day, every day.

Again, this will all play out. I'll be interested in seeing a list of guys who turn the job down. And then the list of guys who turned the job down cause they were afraid of heat. Not the way top tier coaches roll.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby danwismar » Tue May 31, 2011 1:21 am

Great thread guys. Couldn't get on the site this morning, and just kind of left it alone and got some other shit done today instead.

It's only slightly embarrassing to have a column go up Saturday saying he might resign or get fired, but I didn't think it would happen soon because JT was lawyering up for August. Only slightly...because most of the OSU media admitted they weren't shocked at what happened, but were surprised by when it happened...obviously myself included.

And EO, if you're waiting up so you can tell me "I told you so"....have at it, dude.
You'll recall that our disagreement (1 or 2 days after the press conference) was over whether Tressel's suspension would be increased by the NCAA or not. It wasn't. (told you so) Seriously...a lot of water under the bridge since that day.

My overriding thought on day one is that the OSU football program is better off in the short term as a result of this happening now....(much better off had it happened 3 months ago), but that college football as an institution is not better today as a result of Tressel's demise. The outpouring of thanks, love and support for the guy from colleagues and players past and present is all the evidence you need of that.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue May 31, 2011 6:41 am

I love the guys on here barking about Urban Meyer cheating. Ummmm hello fellas, the guy that quit yesterday may have, allegedly, set new records on how to circumvent the rules and avoid the 2A until now. Urban Meyer hasn't broken, allegedly,
NCAA bylaw 10.1 -- Unethical Conduct.

If Fickell gets it done so be it but the way things look now, he will have it worse than Lane Kiffin has it right now at USC. All the speculation and innuendos aside, Urban Meyer can coach and win and his past exploits prove it. To each his own though I guess.
Last edited by fundamentals on Tue May 31, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Squints » Tue May 31, 2011 6:52 am

Rose, Small Irizary. These are the guys who colleges have to watch out for. The highly and illegally recruited players who fell out of favor with the coaching staff and didn't live up to their potential. They are the ones with the axes to grind who play a role in bringing down a program. The Buckeyes who have had great college careers or who have gone on to the NFL would not talk, they know OSU and Tresell have done for them. Not to compare OSU to SMU. but Eric Dickerson still isn't talking and never will, but a guy like David Stanley blows the lid off the jar.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue May 31, 2011 6:59 am

If this link was posted previously, I apologize. I am having difficulty with accessing pages, here is the CNNSI big story and if you like/love the Vest this is not going to be a fun read:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/m ... tml?hpt=C1
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Spin » Tue May 31, 2011 8:30 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Gruden's about the only one clean enough.

I can't picture Gruden recruiting...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Spin » Tue May 31, 2011 8:34 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Maybe once Pryor, Gee, and Smith all get run, then there may be some breathing room.

I don't see how they keep their jobs either. Come on, there's no way they didn't know something was up.

And the Compliance Department, the biggest in college sports, they didn't see anything fishy about football players riding around in new cars? They never heard any rumors?

TSV was just the first domino.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:05 am

danwismar wrote: The outpouring of thanks, love and support for the guy from colleagues and players past and present is all the evidence you need of that.

Is this getting through to Tressel? I hope so.

We fans who admire the guy, see what a great fit he was to OSU, yet who understand he deserved to be forced out will always remain in his corner.

Even the people who spout the faux disgust understand why, whether they admit it or not.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby JCoz » Tue May 31, 2011 9:05 am

fundamentals wrote:I love the guys on here barking about Urban Meyer cheating. Ummmm hello fellas, the guy that quit yesterday may have, allegedly, set new records on how to circumvent the rules and avoid the 2A until now. Urban Meyer hasn't broken, allegedly,
NCAA bylaw 10.1 -- Unethical Conduct.

If Fickell gets it done so be it but the way things look now, he will have it worse than Lane Kiffin has it right now at USC. All the speculation and innuendos aside, Urban Meyer can coach and win and his past exploits prove it. To each his own though I guess.

Where exactly are guys on here barking about Meyer cheating?

And Set new records on how to circumvent the rules? Really? What the fuck articles have you been reading?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JCoz » Tue May 31, 2011 9:20 am

Well I knew yesterday was going to happen, and I'm a little surprised that it took this long. In fact, as soon as I read the emails to Tress I had a real hard time trying to figure a reason for having not happened months ago.

I agree with those that were surprised at how little meat there was in that SI article. Hundreds of players played for Tressel in that time period.

Here was a little perspective from 11 warriors on the piece:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/05/sports-illustrateds-expose-the-lion-that-squeaked

One of the quotes from Ray Small's interview with the Lantern that Dohrmann failed to cite was "(It) was kind of hush-hush. I mean, you tell … probably your close friend, or a close friend to your close friend... As far as everybody just talking about it in the locker room, that wasn't really a big thing. So if somebody is giving them a deal, it was probably a situation where they kept it to themselves." This does not seem to imply that the gear for tats deal was the open secret Dohrmann claims it was.

Also agree with Furls, Lead and Swerb that people will be lined up for this position.

But swerb I disagree with what you are thinking on Meyer and Gruden. In fact I can't even fathom why the hell Grudens name keeps popping up for these college gigs. He's about as close to taking a college job as Tress was to coaching the Browns.

And Meyer? right now? No freakin way. MAYBE, after a year to sort his shit out and come to grips with the reality that he cares more about being a college football coach and competing than he does about being around for his family, MAYBE, then, you can get him. But it's going to at least take a real season on the sidelines for that to sink in IMO.

And if it isn't next season than I think you go young, someone with long term potential. Fickell has a shot, but a slim one. I dont know about other candidates, but I am pretty sure that the current list given by ESPN isn't it. My money is on the field rather than anyone drawing odds in Vegas right now, with the possible exception of Fickell, or Meyer if he has the aforementioned come to Jesus moment and stops trying to convince himself that he's not a football coach.
JCoz

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue May 31, 2011 10:05 am

fundamentals wrote:If this link was posted previously, I apologize. I am having difficulty with accessing pages, here is the CNNSI big story and if you like/love the Vest this is not going to be a fun read:

One of Tressel's duties then was to organize and run the Buckeyes' summer camp. Most of the young players who attended it would never play college football, but a few were top prospects whom Ohio State was recruiting. At the end of camp, attendees bought tickets to a raffle with prizes such as cleats and a jersey. According to his fellow assistant, Tressel rigged the raffle so that the elite prospects won -- a potential violation of NCAA rules. Says the former colleague, who asked not to be identified because he still has ties to the Ohio State community, "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/m ... z1NwFY4r7z

He went from stealing nickels to stealing Championships

The man is a fraud...

I may have mentioned an uncle of mine who was a professional con man who once took a corrupt Treasury Agent for 50g's....

The big difference bewteen him and Tressel is he didn't hide behind The Cross
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:17 am

[quote="Fire Marshall Bill]

The man is a fraud...

----

The big difference bewteen him and Tressel is he didn't hide behind The Cross[/quote]

Thaaaaaaat's it. Get it all out. C'mon, you're not done.

Or will it feel even better if you sandbag now, and hold some back for later when you feel like returning for another stomp on the head.
googleeph2

Unread postby scott » Tue May 31, 2011 10:28 am

Spin wrote:
And the Compliance Department, the biggest in college sports, they didn't see anything fishy about football players riding around in new cars? They never heard any rumors?

TSV was just the first domino.

Enron had a huge staff of in-house auditors.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby JCoz » Tue May 31, 2011 10:45 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
fundamentals wrote:If this link was posted previously, I apologize. I am having difficulty with accessing pages, here is the CNNSI big story and if you like/love the Vest this is not going to be a fun read:

One of Tressel's duties then was to organize and run the Buckeyes' summer camp. Most of the young players who attended it would never play college football, but a few were top prospects whom Ohio State was recruiting. At the end of camp, attendees bought tickets to a raffle with prizes such as cleats and a jersey. According to his fellow assistant, Tressel rigged the raffle so that the elite prospects won -- a potential violation of NCAA rules. Says the former colleague, who asked not to be identified because he still has ties to the Ohio State community, "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/m ... z1NwFY4r7z

The man is a fraud...

I may have mentioned an uncle of mine who was a professional con man who once took a corrupt Treasury Agent for 50g's....

The big difference bewteen him and Tressel is he didn't hide behind The Cross

Certainly sounds bad but this alleged incident would have been when tress was how old? early 20's? As a GA?

And he stole championships how exactly?
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:27 am

Bottom line for me is dude turns out to be just like everybody else when it comes to the football program.

We can all scream, "Everyone is dirty" today when a couple years back we consoled ourselves those title game losses with "At least he does it the right way".

He fucking lied. That's that. What he lied about may seem inconsequential and in the big picture it probably is. But he fucking lied about it. Yeah, everyone does it. But when the light is shining on your program it's a bit different.

And when the lid gets blown off ths car bullshit the infractions may not seem as inconsequential.

Can't wait til they find out someone like Dallas Lauderdale or Evan Turner got a great deal on a used Lexus too.

Maybe it's the mourning period for many. Guy's career died just yesterday so I get it. But it's been on the deathbed for months if not longer and it started with a self-inflicted wound.

Call it what it is.

Bottom line, if someone told me the next ten years would hold all that the previous ten years did and end the same way, with embarrassment for the program and a disgraced coach leaving, I'd sign up for it tomorrow.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 31, 2011 12:12 pm

Peek, have you ever thought about becoming one of those firebrand snake handling Jesus freak preachers? I'd give you a dollar or two.

Fistfull of Copperheads.
-----------------------------

Yeah.... I love a bombshell article that has 900 anonymous sources. Nothing says integrity like citing a person who is such a coward they won't even put their name on their claims.

I heard from a anonymous source that Barrack Obama farts magic beans. Maybe i'll write an article.

Bombshell? Really? What a dud.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:36 pm

Thank you CDT. My biggest issue on the preaching thing is I'm not too big of a God guy. Mostly because I don't think there is one.

Maybe it's just hard to put any faith in one when you see the cranks and fools and assholes walking around down here.

But hey, tthere's nothing at all saying you need a background in God to be a firebrand preacher.

I guess this is where we all differ really. I saw nothing in the article that gave me anything new.

What I did see was an article. That millions will read. That reduces Tressel and the school to hypocritical assholes. Many with stronger affiliations and loyalties to the program than I have (and I'm a vry big fan) can't get past the fact that it doesn't matter anymore what truths or falsehoods or incongruencies are in the story. The sources don't matter. No one cares if Rose and Smalls and Izarry were malcontents.

The point is and has been that the school and the coach needed to go separate ways because of shitty stories like this and because a-holes like this writer and the lazy fucks at the Dispatch have an easier life when they can settle in around Columbus and write easy stories.

The admin needed to cut ties and Tressel did it for them. Again he gave the liars, cheats and assholes inside the OSU Athletic Dept an out.

Or did he?

If they know nothing of all of this then that seems to indicate there was that lack of institutional control. Bad, bad, bad for the program and probably not good for an AD's career.

If they did know something then they were complicit and they will be as shamed as their coach. So Tressel's resignation may ultimately be a big Fuck You to the people he worked with. If nothing else, it puts the heat on them to come clean or lord over a program that's burning and knowing they were at the wheel when the fires started.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Peek, have you ever thought about becoming one of those firebrand snake handling Jesus freak preachers? I'd give you a dollar or two.

Fistfull of Copperheads.
-----------------------------

Yeah.... I love a bombshell article that has 900 anonymous sources. Nothing says integrity like citing a person who is such a coward they won't even put their name on their claims.

I heard from a anonymous source that Barrack Obama farts magic beans. Maybe i'll write an article.

Bombshell? Really? What a dud.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 31, 2011 12:54 pm

Well....... ok then.

I'm hard at work on my "Obama farts magic beans" story, I hope I can get it on the front page despite me not being a talented writer. *fingers crossed*

I just need a eye catching title.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:02 pm

Good- I'm glad you have a distraction while the program burns.

If we call your article, "Tressel Gave Obama Bad Beans" maybe that will help.

You and Dan can probably go in on a bunker and ride this thing out for half price. ;-) ;) :wink:

Doesn't matter if we were set up CDT. The world sees us holding a toy gun over a freshly killed dead manican. We're still fucked. :nanner:

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Well....... ok then.

I'm hard at work on my "Obama farts magic beans" story, I hope I can get it on the front page despite me not being a talented writer. *fingers crossed*

I just need a eye catching title.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 pm

You know me, i'm a glass half full kinda a guy. The sun still rose this morning and I had a great sandwich for lunch.

You and Dan can probably go in on a bunker and ride this thing out for half price.

That would never work, he's a Republican and i'm a Democrat. Maybe if his name was Wis Danmar. :dingle:
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JCoz » Tue May 31, 2011 2:00 pm

peeker643 wrote:Bottom line for me is dude turns out to be just like everybody else when it comes to the football program.

Dude isn't a saint, and is most assuredly human.

Just like everyone else?

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/05/the-man-who-wasnt-there

Not exactly.

peeker643 wrote:Bottom line, if someone told me the next ten years would hold all that the previous ten years did and end the same way, with embarrassment for the program and a disgraced coach leaving, I'd sign up for it tomorrow.

Some mistakes and hypocrisy only paints a more complete picture of the man Peek, it doesn't take away all the things he actually did that people lauded him for, and while I'm not shacking up in a bunker for this, I sure as shit dont have a shovel in my hands either.

I'd sign up for it too.

Long live the sweatervest.
Last edited by JCoz on Tue May 31, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCoz

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:07 pm

JCoz wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Bottom line for me is dude turns out to be just like everybody else when it comes to the football program.

Just like everyone else?

Not exactly.

peeker643 wrote:Bottom line, if someone told me the next ten years would hold all that the previous ten years did and end the same way, with embarrassment for the program and a disgraced coach leaving, I'd sign up for it tomorrow.

Some mistakes and hypocrisy only paints a more complete picture of the man Peek, it doesn't take away all the things he actually did that people lauded him for, and while I'm nowhere near a bunker for this, I sure as shit dont have a shovel in my hands either.

I'd sign up for it too.

And there it is. My take exactly.

Our culture seems to really favor nuance whenever I see black and white.

With Tressel,it's vice versa.

I must be getting old.
googleeph2

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:28 pm

No one disputes what he's done and if you'd like to quote what I wrote and what I've written you'll see that. Ort we could expand the quote capacity here and we'll go with the 4 billion things that have been discussed about the man's compassion and all else he does well.

But this is where I bow out anyway. Way too emotional when you can't unwrap the Buckeye blanket.

You guys can do the rationalizing and the memorializing. There are already plenty here off to a good start with the eulogy.

The program is worse off today than Auburn or LSU and, for that matter, USC given they've already gotten a jump on their punishment.

The man ran a shady program and he has history of it.

Like I said elsewhere- Shame on me for being dumb enough to say "Well at least he does it the right way" after title game losses to LSU and Florida.

Shame on the senator for winning only one title while he was getting as dirty as anyone else in college football.

I won't degrade the thread by linking of stories of other coaches who took personal interests in players or who stressed giving back to the community in which they played. I'll let that comfort those folks who can't, won't or don't want to deal with reality about the football team and program today.

Is it commendable and touching and heartwarming? Fuck yes it is.

Is it applicable to the discussion about the football coach? Only if he stops doing now that he's not.

All kinds of shades of gray. That ain't the issue. It's when you mix it here with scarlet that a few people can't seem to get to the crux of the matter.

JCoz wrote:

Just like everyone else?

Not exactly.

Some mistakes and hypocrisy only paints a more complete picture of the man Peek, it doesn't take away all the things he actually did that people lauded him for, and while I'm not shacking up in a bunker for this, I sure as shit dont have a shovel in my hands either.

I'd sign up for it too.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Tue May 31, 2011 2:35 pm

peeker643 wrote:No one disputes what he's done and if you'd like to quote what I wrote and what I've written you'll see that. Ort we could expand the quote capacity here and we'll go with the 4 billion things that have been discussed about the man's compassion and all else he does well.

But this is where I bow out anyway. Way too emotional when you can't unwrap the Buckeye blanket.

You guys can do the rationalizing and the memorializing. There are already plenty here off to a good start with the eulogy.

The program is worse off today than Auburn or LSU and, for that matter, USC given they've already gotten a jump on their punishment.

The man ran a shady program and he has history of it.

Like I said elsewhere- Shame on me for being dumb enough to say "Well at least he does it the right way" after title game losses to LSU and Florida.

Shame on the senator for winning only one title while he was getting as dirty as anyone else in college football.

I won't degrade the thread by linking of stories of other coaches who took personal interests in players or who stressed giving back to the community in which they played. I'll let that comfort those folks who can't, won't or don't want to deal with reality about the football team and program today.

Is it commendable and touching and heartwarming? Fuck yes it is.

Is it applicable to the discussion about the football coach? Only if he stops doing now that he's not.

All kinds of shades of gray. That ain't the issue. It's when you mix it here with scarlet that a few people can't seem to get to the crux of the matter.

Peek, you're nothing short of being all over the joint with this and other posts on the matter.

Its apparent that you have no idea what I was saying in my post, and I'm not all that interested in trying to sort it out for you.

Suffice it to say it isn't about you, and certainly isn't anything near the myopic, rose-tinted defense you just painted it as.

I'm perfectly OK with you not getting that.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:38 pm

Yep, shame on me for acting like he was different and that excused him for choking repeatedly on the national stage.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2 ... rospective

Tresselball wasn't exactly some pleasure to experience either, let's not front.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:01 pm

JCoz wrote:Peek, you're nothing short of being all over the joint with this and other posts on the matter.

Its apparent that you have no idea what I was saying in my post, and I'm not all that interested in trying to sort it out for you.

Suffice it to say it isn't about you, and certainly isn't anything near the myopic, rose-tinted defense you just painted it as.

I'm perfectly OK with you not getting that.

Guy got caught. No better than anyone else except he spoke well enough and dressed nattily enough that people believed what he was saying. He has a history of it as well.

Buckeye nation will wrap him in a blnket and try and diffuse the sins by minimizing them. It's natural and I get it.

All that said, gimme another exactly like him and the same 10-year run followed by the stain of cheating and I'll sign up for it today.

Love the guy for what he does with soldiers, kids, at-risk players.

Doesn't make his program any cleaner.

That's all.

If I misinterpreted what you were saying I apologize. I don't have time for an article that would give me the space I need to say things as well as I'd like or I'd write one for sure.

peeker643
Duly Noted

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena