Text Size

College Sports Arena

Saturday Scrimmage at the Horseshoe

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Saturday Scrimmage at the Horseshoe

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:30 pm

Another scrimmage yesterday in Columbus, and Regimbal and I went down to bring back a report. David is going to write something up for the front page, so I thought I'd just post a comment or two here.

In general, it was a miserable day for the offense. They did not score a touchdown before a cloudburst washed the event away with just a minute or two remaining.

Excusing that misery by referring to the strength of the Buckeye defense only goes so far. Of the four QB contenders, Taylor Graham probably had the best day. He sees the field and throws an accurate ball. Braxton Miller is still learning the playbook, and he didn't have many passing attempts...mostly just handed the ball off on run plays.

Guiton had a tough day. Lots of drops...and got sacked a couple times, including once on Johnny Simon's trifecta (sack, caused fumble, recovered fumble)

Simon and Johnathan Hankins are two freaking killer defensive tackles that will give opponents nightmarish Saturday afternoons this fall (and next fall).

On this day the biggest problem for the QB's was the bad hands of the receivers. I couldn't even count how many balls hit receivers (both backs and WR's) in the hands and bounced off or were dropped.

RS freshman CB Bradley Roby was probably the MVP of the day with two interceptions, but both were off of the hands of intended receivers (Philly Brown and Jaamal Berry)

Berry did have a 97-yard TD on a kickoff return in the special teams drills, and he and Rod Smith continue to look very good running the ball. Smith's thighs and calves are huge, and he breaks tackles with them. Best looking power back in S&G in a while.

We got a chance to talk with Simon, Mike Adams, Jordan Hall, Mike Brewster and Stoneburner afterward. David will probably have some of that in his article.

Guys who looked the best to me: Hankins, Simon, Smith, Berry, CB's Roby, Dionte Allen and Travis Howard, and field goal kicker Drew Basil.

Come fall, be very worried about the offense on 3rd and 10. Also be very confident about the defense on 3rd and 10.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: Saturday Scrimmage at the Horseshoe

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:05 pm

danwismar wrote:Come fall, be very worried about the offense on 3rd and 10.

I get your point here, I really do, but I had to point out how funny that reads.

3rd and 10?

Damn we're getting greedy these days... ;-)
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Saturday Scrimmage at the Horseshoe

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Marcus Hartman's thoughts on the scrimmage, and more generally on the 2011 Bucks...

http://cuswordsblog.com/2011/04/17/seco ... -thoughts/
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Return to College Sports Arena