Text Size

College Sports Arena

Rack this Take: IE, SEC HONKS

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Rack this Take: IE, SEC HONKS

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:03 pm

We hate to pick on the SEC; but then, no we don't. The same fans of schools across the South who threw their allegiance behind the Crimson Tide last year will now be pulling, in large part, for the Tigers to win the national championship tonight.

It's that famed SEC Pride at work (Here's SECPride.com, for all your SEC Pride needs). The irrational need for your conference to be recognized as the best in the nation, the evidence being bowl wins. Even if it means cheering on a hated rival. From the Birmingham News:

"You should cheer for the SEC and the state's team."
"It makes the SEC look stronger than everybody else."
"You should be rooting for the SEC no matter who is there, because with the Big Ten getting a championship game and the Pac-10 getting a championship game, the national media would just love to say the SEC's not the best."

There it is, that irrational persecution complex that everyone is out to get the conference. No, everyone takes shots at the conference because they tend to do things like this: claiming their rivalries are the most venomous and spirited, and then turning around and rooting for their foils, all in the name of preserving the nebulous myth of "SEC Speed."

No one else does this. Red Sox fans don't pull for the Yankees in the World Series. Whichever team loses Steelers/Ravens on Saturday won't be cheering on the winner to represent the AFC North. That's because the first rule of sports fandom is if you can't root for your team, the next best thing is to root against your enemies.

Do college football fans not get this? Not that we presume Bill Plaschke speaks for anyone, but he's not the only person on the West Coast hoping that an Oregon win would mean respect for the Pac-10. It doesn't work that way. If Auburn wins tonight, it doesn't make the SEC better than the Pac-10, or any other conference. Same for Oregon. All it means is the winning team was better than the losing team, and every other team in the country (not including TCU).

All Bama and Oregon State fans rooting for their rivals tonight should be publicly shamed and forced to wear their rivals' gear to next year's Iron Bowl and Civil War

http://deadspin.com/5729665/the-rest-of ... for-auburn
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Rack this Take: IE, SEC HONKS

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:36 pm

Deadspin should speak for themselves. Baton Rouge radio was overrun today with 24 hour Duck fans.

Quack Quack bitch
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:15 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Deadspin should speak for themselves. Baton Rouge radio was overrun today with 24 hour Duck fans.

Quack Quack bitch

awesome!

though I am starting to wonder if it's just something perpuated by the media and football fans down south don't really "Hate" big ten ball per say?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:01 am

I don't think it is a hate moreso than it is an indifference. Most of the SEC games are played late afternoon/night and the tailgates crank up early, so speaking from personal experience I miss 95% of the Big 10 games that are played in the afternoons. I'd like to watch some of them, but other than catching a play or two at a tailgate with no sound and beer goggles I don't get the chance.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:07 pm

Triple-S wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:Deadspin should speak for themselves. Baton Rouge radio was overrun today with 24 hour Duck fans.

Quack Quack bitch

awesome!

though I am starting to wonder if it's just something perpuated by the media and football fans down south don't really "Hate" big ten ball per say?

They hate Yankees.

Big 10 team states were all partidcipants in the "War of Northern Agression"
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Oh you mean the war in which the South commited treason agaisnt the legally elected goverment of the United States?

Fuck them.

Traitors.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
Triple-S wrote:

Quack Quack bitch

awesome!

They hate Yankees.

Big 10 team states were all partidcipants in the "War of Northern Agression"

And if there is one state in particular they hate, its Ohio. Sherman's march to the sea? Ohioan. U.S. Grant and his "scorched Earth" warfare? Ohioan. George Armstrong Custer (actually a pretty fair cavalry officer before...well, you know)? Ohioan. Phil Sheridan? Not born in Ohio, but grew up here. F.J. Hooker? Non-Ohioan. Which is probably the biggest sin of all.

Even Secretary Stanton was from Ohio. So if the underlying issue really is still the Civil War (which I'm sure is the case for some, but of course not all), then they REALLY have to love sticking it to Ohio.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Return to College Sports Arena