Text Size

College Sports Arena

Miami Fla makes third straight head coach mistake ...

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Miami Fla makes third straight head coach mistake ...

Unread postby swerb » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Larry Coker, Randy Shannon ... and now Al Golden.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5912786
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Miami Fla makes third straight head coach mistake ...

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:20 pm

swerb wrote:Larry Coker, Randy Shannon ... and now Al Golden.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5912786

Golden got sick of waiting for JoePa to die. Or to be buried if he is actually already dead. Hard to tell.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Another head scratcher. Vandy is smoothing out some details so that they can announce the hiring of Gus Malzahn (Auburn OC). We could potentially look back in a few years and say that within 1 week Vandy had a better hire than Florida or Miami.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:05 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Another head scratcher. Vandy is smoothing out some details so that they can announce the hiring of Gus Malzahn (Auburn OC). We could potentially look back in a few years and say that within 1 week Vandy had a better hire than Florida or Miami.

Malzahn apparently has more to offer than just being the guy who delivered Mustain to Arkansas, huh?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:Another head scratcher. Vandy is smoothing out some details so that they can announce the hiring of Gus Malzahn (Auburn OC). We could potentially look back in a few years and say that within 1 week Vandy had a better hire than Florida or Miami.

Malzahn apparently has more to offer than just being the guy who delivered Mustain to Arkansas, huh?

I didn't think so before this year, but for Vandy to get the head coach of the reigning SEC champs and potential undefeated national champs... what more can you ask for?
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:26 am

Well, Golden has to get Da U back into MNC consideration or he's gonzo in five years.

Malzahn just needs to squeeze one 6-6 or 7-5 record out of Vandy to get a big payday at a better gig.

Between the two I'd almost rather have the Vandy job.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:10 am

hermanfontenot wrote:Well, Golden has to get Da U back into MNC consideration or he's gonzo in five years.

Malzahn just needs to squeeze one 6-6 or 7-5 record out of Vandy to get a big payday at a better gig.

Between the two I'd almost rather have the Vandy job.

Especially if there is any truth to the rumored terms of Malzahn's contract (6 yr, 3 mill per). You manage to sneak into the Liberty or Music City Bowl a couple times in those first 4 years and they are re-naming the stadium after you.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby pup » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:05 am

Loved the ESPN scroll showing two of the top three candidates were Al Golden and Marc Trestman. Guess Bernie didn't have quite the pull to get his boy the gig.

Hey, if you can get Temple to 7-5, you should have no problem getting the U to 8 wins. Congrats Canes. :hic:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:14 pm

pup wrote:Loved the ESPN scroll showing two of the top three candidates were Al Golden and Marc Trestman. Guess Bernie didn't have quite the pull to get his boy the gig.

Sheeeet. Dude has a Grey Cup win and was nominated for the CFL's Annis Stukus Award. (I am not making that up - say it with me - "Annis Stukus") Miami would be lucky to have him, I tell ya.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:30 pm

I don't know, I guess I'm the only one who thinks this guy is going to be a good hire.

Time will tell, but I get the feeling Miami got this one right..

Now whether or not Golden made the right choice is another question.

FWIW, I think Mulzaan is very very likely to crash and burn, if not at Vandy (or where ever his first gig is) then the spot it potentially catapolts him to.

Dude was a highschool coach in 2005. Doesn't have a lick of experience Head coaching in college.

Color me skeptical. And people think that would be the better hire over Golden?

Right.

Anyone ever heard of a guy 5 years removed his highschool coaching career getting hired as HC of a BCS college football program - with no prior college HC'ing experience?

Take a look at the resume:

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1991 Hughes HS (DC)
1992-1995 Hughes HS
1996-2000 Shiloh Christian HS
2001-2005 Springdale HS
2006 Arkansas (OC/WR)
2007-2008 Tulsa (Co-OC/AHC/QB)
2009-present Auburn (OC/QB)
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:51 pm

JCoz wrote:I don't know, I guess I'm the only one who thinks this guy is going to be a good hire.

FWIW, I think Mulzaan is very very likely to crash and burn, if not at Vandy (or where ever his first gig is) then the spot it potentially catapolts him to.

Dude was a highschool coach in 2005. Doesn't have a lick of experience Head coaching in college.

Right.

Anyone ever heard of a guy 5 years removed his highschool coaching career getting hired as HC of a BCS college football program - with no prior college HC'ing experience?

1991 Hughes HS (DC)
1992-1995 Hughes HS
2001-2005 Springdale HS
2006 Arkansas (OC/WR)

Isn't this moot? I thought he went back to Auburn for a substantial salary increase.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:56 pm

peeker643 wrote:
JCoz wrote:I don't know, I guess I'm the only one who thinks this guy is going to be a good hire.

Right.

1991 Hughes HS (DC)
1992-1995 Hughes HS
2001-2005 Springdale HS
2006 Arkansas (OC/WR)

Isn't this moot? I thought he went back to Auburn for a substantial salary increase.

Not really, my point on that is that he'll crash when he gets a HC'ing gig.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:14 pm

JCoz wrote:Not really, my point on that is that he'll crash when he gets a HC'ing gig.

Maybe. Although, to be brutally honest, I thought the only reason he got out of the high school ranks was due to college football's fine tradition of gifting coaching spots to high school coaches of prized prospects like Mitch Mustain.

That's not the case. He's gone from a gifted job at Arkansas to a big one at Auburn and his star seems to still be rising.

Hopefully Mustain gets a phys ed degree and his old coach gets a gig where he can hire Mustain because that cat was a bust.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:50 pm

The whole state of Florida is stupid and useless. Can't we just give it back to Bolivia?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mikeperry » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:06 pm

I gotta agree with Swerb here (yes, he is my boss, but that is not the reason I am agreeing with him). There is no way Golden will be able to recruit Florida and the deep south like he could in Philly, the East or the Midwest. He is going to be a total fish out of water. Yeah, he had Temple in great shape but they fell on their asses and were not even invited to a bowl. Golden should have stayed at Temple and waited for JoGrandPa to finally leave State College. Look at it this way, Bernard Pierce is a great player in the MAC. In Miami he is returning punts. Golden will have to recruit like he has never recruited before. And I don't know if he has it in him.
Crush, Kill, Destroy!
-Phil Taylor
mikeperry

Favorite Player: Eric Davis
Least Favorite Player: PK Subban

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Wow, that is moving up quickly.

I was thinking Art Briles, because I remember watching the guy back in West Texas, when he was piling up state titles at Stephenville. In looking his profile up he left HS ball after 1999, coached on Leach's staff at TTU from 2000-2002, and in 2003 was hired as head coach by Houston (not a BCS school). Then in late 2007 he got the Baylor gig (for 2008 season) which is roughly comparable to Vandy. So even Briles had years total before getting a BCS gig though 5 of those 8 were as HC of a ConfUSA team.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:43 am

peeker643 wrote:
JCoz wrote:Not really, my point on that is that he'll crash when he gets a HC'ing gig.

Maybe. Although, to be brutally honest, I thought the only reason he got out of the high school ranks was due to college football's fine tradition of gifting coaching spots to high school coaches of prized prospects like Mitch Mustain.

That's not the case. He's gone from a gifted job at Arkansas to a big one at Auburn and his star seems to still be rising.

Hopefully Mustain gets a phys ed degree and his old coach gets a gig where he can hire Mustain because that cat was a bust.

Actually it was in fact the case, Peek.

Nutt had a very short leash on him too, so don't think he had anything to do with what they did with McFadden and Co. - He didn't, and it was a big reason there was a big split up at the end and Mustain and Williams transferred to USC and He went to Tulsa.

And considering what he had to work with this year and the rarity of having that type of offensive cog, suffices to say that I'm not yet impressed by him in particular (wow they ran the veer, how revolutionary), and I don't presently buy the "brightest offensive minds in CFB" title they've stapled on him.

I think there are lots of factors right now playing into the credit he's getting, and not alot of it has much to do with him IMO.

Not to mention that even if he was in fact some kind of offensive Guru, it hardly means he's qualified to be a HC in major college football.

He may or may not be the guy people are saying he is, all I'm saying is the Hype is just that at this point.

Hype.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:55 am

mikeperry wrote:I gotta agree with Swerb here (yes, he is my boss, but that is not the reason I am agreeing with him). There is no way Golden will be able to recruit Florida and the deep south like he could in Philly, the East or the Midwest. He is going to be a total fish out of water. Yeah, he had Temple in great shape but they fell on their asses and were not even invited to a bowl. Golden should have stayed at Temple and waited for JoGrandPa to finally leave State College. Look at it this way, Bernard Pierce is a great player in the MAC. In Miami he is returning punts. Golden will have to recruit like he has never recruited before. And I don't know if he has it in him.

You make an interesting point regarding recruiting in the south. I wouldn't too many presumptions though, a head coach is a fraction of the recruiting team. He'd do well to choose wisely to help his cause recruiting Florida.

Not like Urban was a southern boy.

He was supposed to crash and burn at UF too.

Either way recruiting is only half the equation. Shannon recruited as well as you could realistically hope for, and exactly how much good did that do them?

Still, like I said, its and interesting dynamic you bring up and one I hadnt given much consideration to. Should be interesting as it plays out.

All three florida schools just changed coaches within 12 months. That's something you are not likely to see again soon. Its all up for grabs down there, not only for them but the rest of the surrounding SEC schools.
JCoz

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:29 pm

Golden will be fine, he's a good coach. Inner city Philly kids are the same as inner city Florida kids. If he could get them to Temple, he can get them to Miami. No doubt he wanted PSU to be his next step, but strike while the iron is hot. Look what Leavitt did with the leftovers at USF.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:58 pm

There's big problems with anyone getting this gig, because "The U" will never have the run they had in the past, yet that's what the fanbase expects.

When Schellengerger and Johnson started fishing thugs outta Dade County, they had their choice, cause nobody else at the time was touching them. Now everyone has computer stealin, grade dodgin' cats, not only on the team, but leadin' em', and collectin' awards.

One look at arrest records at the other Florida schools will show you competition is tough, and even if you can REALLY recruit, you still aren't going to get the numbers and talent you used to.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:35 am

leadpipe wrote:There's big problems with anyone getting this gig, because "The U" will never have the run they had in the past, yet that's what the fanbase expects.

When Schellengerger and Johnson started fishing thugs outta Dade County, they had their choice, cause nobody else at the time was touching them. Now everyone has computer stealin, grade dodgin' cats, not only on the team, but leadin' em', and collectin' awards.

One look at arrest records at the other Florida schools will show you competition is tough, and even if you can REALLY recruit, you still aren't going to get the numbers and talent you used to.

I don't buy that Lead. They've had more than enough talent to win. And point blank, are you insinuating that Florida teams have only just started recruiting the thugs you mentioned in the last 7-8 years? The game's changed that much? I don't believe so. Guess we'd have to look at the recruiting classes around 98-02, but I'd wager you'd find no shortage of shady characters on Spurrier's, Bobby's, or the Zooker's teams....

Regardless its the coaching that they are missing, along with a massive upgrade in facilities.

There is absolutely no reason what so ever that Miami can't build a contending team in the ACC. The ACC Lead.

Regardless of what the fanbase expects, you don't need to with several titles inside 4-5 seasons to be successful in Miami. Ohio State fans have massively inflated expectations, too. It doesn't mean you will get crushed by them if you don't win 3 in 5.

It's not like Miami even has a real fan base.

To use their largely imaginary fan bases' misguided expectations as a real hindrance to a coach winning there seems almost laughable.

Alabama, Nebraska, Texas, Ohio State, Florida, LSU......those are fanbases with expectations.

Miami? :lmfao: How demanding can fans that don't even show up on most gamedays really be?
JCoz

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:48 pm

JCoz wrote:
leadpipe wrote:There's big problems with anyone getting this gig, because "The U" will never have the run they had in the past, yet that's what the fanbase expects.

I don't buy that Lead. They've had more than enough talent to win. And point blank, are you insinuating that Florida teams have only just started recruiting the thugs you mentioned in the last 7-8 years? The game's changed that much? I don't believe so. Guess we'd have to look at the recruiting classes around 98-02, but I'd wager you'd find no shortage of shady characters on Spurrier's, Bobby's, or the Zooker's teams....

It's a widely known fact that Schellenberger built his program by being the first to take this type of athlete off the streets of Dade or Overton, and other "questionable"
areas. Johnson followed this practice. And it was more than eight years ago. So go ahead and look at the classes from 98-02 when evryone was on board. That's not what I'm talkin' about.

Regardless its the coaching that they are missing, along with a massive upgrade in facilities.

There is absolutely no reason what so ever that Miami can't build a contending team in the ACC. The ACC Lead.

Never said they can't build a contending team in the ACC. Difference between saying they'll never have as dominant a run as they had from Schellenberger on and saying they can win a crap conference.Regardless of what the fanbase expects, you don't need to with several titles inside 4-5 seasons to be successful in Miami. Ohio State fans have massively inflated expectations, too. It doesn't mean you will get crushed by them if you don't win 3 in 5.

It's not like Miami even has a real fan base.

To use their largely imaginary fan bases' misguided expectations as a real hindrance to a coach winning there seems almost laughable.

Alabama, Nebraska, Texas, Ohio State, Florida, LSU......those are fanbases with expectations.

Miami? :lmfao: How demanding can fans that don't even show up on most gamedays really be?

Never said Miami had a huge or rabid fanbase. Said their fanbase, what's left of it, has unreasonable expectations, which place added pressure on a coach.

It sounds like you're reacting to someone who is saying "no coach can EVER be successful there because the fans expect too much."

When in reality is, all I stated was it's an added pain in the ass to a coach coming in. And adding that to a job that's lost it's lustre, is losing fanbase, and needs facility ugrades....and it compounds things. Another reason they aren't drawing as desirable candidates, if you will.

That's all JCoz. Relax. Now you can go back to lyfao.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:21 pm

*bump*

Honorary Trestman bump show!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Return to College Sports Arena