Text Size

College Sports Arena

TCU to the Big East

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

TCU to the Big East

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Well, sucks to be Boise this week.

A lot.

Link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5862368
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Re: TCU to the Big East

Unread postby pup » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:23 pm

I think it is great to be Boise. Lessens the number of teams that they have to fight off to be the non-Auto Qualifier to get a BCS bid. Pretty much them, Utah on occasion and maybe Notre Dumb at some point.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:34 pm

Texas Christian to the Big East. Right in their footprint. Big Ten has 12 teams. Big 12 has 10. Getting ridiculous at this point.

As long as they've already trampled tradition and the geographic footprints of these conferences, they may as well just rename the conferences and make four 16 team mega-conferences. Throw Boise and Notre Dame in there somewhere. Just be done with it and get the bastardization of the system over with in one fell swoop.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:42 pm

pup wrote:I think it is great to be Boise. Lessens the number of teams that they have to fight off to be the non-Auto Qualifier to get a BCS bid. Pretty much them, Utah on occasion and maybe Notre Dumb at some point.

Good point, though Utah will be in the Pac-10, unless I'm much mistaken.

But Boise moved conferences to try and play with the big(ger) boys and every one of the teams with some clout has left the conference, while two WAC schools have followed Boise.

So now Boise is right where they were before, but still has to go through the tremendous hassle of conference change and losing rivalries.

It's not a disaster, but it is a pretty big publicity blow, I'd think.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:30 pm

I don't know which is worse for the Big Least: They had to go to Texas for their newest recruit, or that said recruit comes in the automatic favorites to win the conference in football, or that they somehow still have a BCS automatic qualifying slot.

As for Boise State, does the ink have to dry on their MWC contract before they can start looking again?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:53 pm

swerb wrote:Texas Christian to the Big East. Right in their footprint. Big Ten has 12 teams. Big 12 has 10. Getting ridiculous at this point.

As long as they've already trampled tradition and the geographic footprints of these conferences, they may as well just rename the conferences and make four 16 team mega-conferences. Throw Boise and Notre Dame in there somewhere. Just be done with it and get the bastardization of the system over with in one fell swoop.

Follow the money.

I can't blame TCU who has now been passed over twice by the UT/A&M axis of power. Once in the mid 90's when the SWC imploded, and again recently with the re-shaping of the Big 12.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:33 am

Man, what could've been for the MWC. Utah, Boise, TCU and Nevada is a pretty good big 4. Better than the Big East, and better than the ACC (currently). Could've built themselves into a BCS conference.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby jb » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:56 am

mattvan1 wrote:
swerb wrote:Texas Christian to the Big East. Right in their footprint. Big Ten has 12 teams. Big 12 has 10. Getting ridiculous at this point.

Follow the money.

I can't blame TCU who has now been passed over twice by the UT/A&M axis of power. Once in the mid 90's when the SWC imploded, and again recently with the re-shaping of the Big 12.

Is that the scoop? I wondered why they wouldn't make the logical move to repopulate the decreased Big 12 and it's proper Texas-centric history, possibly bringing with them another ex-SWC school that wanted a return to prominance, like a Houtson or SMU. Is it really that political? Do they really hate on the Disciples of Christ that much in the Lone Star state? They are a pretty liberal group compared to the southern baptisists. ;-)

On the other hand, I give them TONS or credit. They are solving their own problem ASAP, albeit choosing the most expedient conference, the weak sis of the BCS. But still, rather than whining and law suit saber rattling, they are sacking up and putting money where mouth is, unlike Boise State. They were told by Gee and his ilk put up or shut up an dtheir assumed the stance rther than assuming the position. I like it.

I do feel somewhat bad for the minor sports and costs. Now the swimmers and gymnists and volleyball players and golfers are flying coach in off hours through god-knows-what out of the way hubs to get to Syracuse on the cheap in february. Blows to be them, but free college and all that, so suck it up Suzi Swimmer, and get a good set of head phones and an extra battery for that iPhone this holiday and you enjoy that 14 hour three leg trip through Atlanta on airtran or Milwaukee on jet blue.
Last edited by jb on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:58 am

StewieG wrote:Man, what could've been for the MWC. Utah, Boise, TCU and Nevada is a pretty good big 4. Better than the Big East, and better than the ACC (currently). Could've built themselves into a BCS conference.

From a competitive standpoint I believe you, but would the big boys have made room at the table and relened to BCS status for another conference. It is still 4 outside the fraternity schools looking in and a smokey board room of SEC cigar chmpin' Boss Hoggs barring the door.

Maybe a renewed WAC with these cats plus BYU & Fresneck St would have gotten it done if there was a level playing field?
jb

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:08 pm

jb wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Follow the money.

Is that the scoop? I wondered why they wouldn't make the logical move to repopulate the decreased Big 12 and it's proper Texas-centric history, possibly bringing with them another ex-SWC school that wanted a return to prominance, like a Houtson or SMU. Is it really that political? Do they really hate on the Disciples of Christ that much in the Lone Star state? They are a pretty liberal group compared to the southern baptisists. ;-)

On the other hand, I give them TONS or credit. They are solving their own problem ASAP, albeit choosing the most expedient conference, the weak sis of the BCS. But still, rather than whining and law suit saber rattling, they are sacking up and putting money where mouth is, unlike Boise State. They were told by Gee and his ilk put up or shut up an dtheir assumed the stance rther than assuming the position. I like it.

Need Jo Jo to come around after mourning the VY "I need a hug" meltdown, but from what I heard about back in the day, the number of Baylor alums in the Texas legislature meant that the Bears and not the Horned Frogs got the final nod when the Big 12 was formed. Today, UT and A&M have the Dallas-Houston-San Antonio-Austin markets 100% wrapped up. TCU brings absolutely nothing to the re-configured Big 12, except on the field competition. Something that big bro UT doesn't want.

I too give them credit. However, the whole thing could blow up in their faces if the BCS money changers decide, in the next contract, that the Big East is no longer worthy of AQ status. I doubt it. Still a ballsy move.

As an aside, I would politely and respectfully ask Dr. Gee to stfu about athletics and stick to what he knows.
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:21 pm

As an aside, I would politely and respectfully ask Dr. Gee to stfu about athletics and stick to what he knows.

Can not concur.

The Brooks Bros bow tied one was completely spot on, and I admire his balls for calling them out as it is. In no way was he remotely incorrect.

Boise's Pres came off as the snivvler getting his "non-collegauial" sort on.
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:10 pm

I do have a theory as to why this move was made by the Big East.

Supposedly, Pitt’s athletic department officials held closed door meetings with all student-athletes this past week to speak with them about the impending move to the Big Ten. That led to Panther athletes posting this information on their Twitter pages and the like, though those messages quickly disappeared.

Pitt is gone. Seriously, the way they were acting in january 2 years back, was sort of a nudge-nudge sort of thing, the big ten was poking around at potential candidates behind closed doors, and Missouri, Pitt and Rutgers were the names that kept coming up, and I could see all three joining, along with a spot open for..a certain institution that plays it's games on NBC.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Well at least no one can accuse BSU of playing a soft schedule anymore........
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Pitt? F Pitt.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:38 pm

pup wrote:Pitt? F Pitt.

Indeed. Why the hell would the Big 10 want another Purdue?
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:07 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

Too harsh to both. Very good basketball schools that have potential in football.
jb

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:04 pm

jb wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Too harsh to both. Very good basketball schools that have potential in football.

Rebuild your football team to dominate the Big Least than talk. As of now, if you can't be good enough to win that conference this year you are more likely Indiana than Purdue.

Why did TCU go there? It was the only AQ conference they could go to and get an easier schedule out of it. Might start a 5 year run of BCS Bowls with multiple shots at NC.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:52 pm

I would like to see pitt join, simply so I could be able to catch a buckeye and a boilermaker game on the cheap at ketchup stadium, it's like..2 hours away, and I would expect it to be a near home game for the Bucks.

and yes, I could deal with playing the real life version of "Fallout" for about 4 hours in dodging inbred zombies..then gtfo of there.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:59 pm

jb wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Tongue-in-cheek attempt to bait SSS, who is obvisouly more mature or simply has me on ignore.

Should have used smiley thingys to convey the intended subtle humor which was either not appreciated or simply wasn't funny.
mattvan1

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:09 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Tongue-in-cheek attempt to bait SSS, who is obvisouly more mature or simply has me on ignore.

Should have used smiley thingys to convey the intended subtle humor which was either not appreciated or simply wasn't funny.

you're not on ignore, just purdue has been so terrible this season I really can't defend them. There's always basketball season?

Triple-S

Unread postby pup » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:59 pm

Looking for an even easier route to the post season, I heard TCU has applied for membership to the NFC West.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Return to College Sports Arena