Text Size

College Sports Arena

E. Gordon Gee's take on Boise State, TCU

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

E. Gordon Gee's take on Boise State, TCU

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:30 am

It would appear tOSU's president isn't fond of these two schools:

I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5845736
Last edited by fundamentals on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Re: G. Gordon Gee's take on Boise State, TCU

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:31 am

fundamentals wrote:It would appear tOSU's president isn't fond of these two schools:

Pat Forde's going to shit himself.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: E. Gordon Gee's take on Boise State, TCU

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:25 pm

Thread title should have been "GG - STFU and govern"
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:32 pm

FUDU wrote:Thread title should have been "GG - STFU and govern"

Sorry sir. :hide: Boise should bring in Pres. Gee to carry out the sledgehammer prior to their last home contest. :pigs:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:48 pm

GG has no business chiming in on this at this juncture. IF his Buckeyes were say unbeaten and some how being left out then I could at least understand. But seeing as how OSU could easily be put into a spotlight bowl they do not necessarily deserve he should go back to working 4 hour days and ShuttingTFU.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:01 pm

Gee obviously has no clue how poor Ohio State's strength of schedule has been the last few seasons, and how favorably Boise's compares to it this year. Also, Boise played Toledo this year, New Mexico State every year, and Oregon last year. tOSU played all three last season.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:10 pm

This coming from the man who said, "This tie is one of our greatest wins ever!"

'nuff said
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

the one major problem facing a playoff..

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:08 pm

..is the guy with his hand on the button, has no idea about the game, nor what it means to be a student-athelete.

"If you put a gun to my head and said, 'What are you going to do about a playoff system [if] the BCS system as it now exists goes away?' I would vote immediately to go back to the bowl system," he said.

He said the current system is better for the student-athletes.

"It's not about this incessant drive to have a national championship because I think that's a slippery slope to professionalism," he said. "I'm a fan of the bowl system and I think that by and large it's worked very, very well."

Sorry, why is Gee, who claimed that TOSU's tie over Meatchicken was the greatest "W" in buckeye history, have the final say on whether or not we can have a playoff in college football and what is apparently good or bad for student athletes?

The reason why he's so adamant about having a Bowl System is becuase it allows his school to get the max. amount of money without having to worry about it decreasing and sharing some of his cash with say, a Kent st.

completely horseshit.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby pup » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:28 pm

Don't hate because of the messenger. What he says is true and is the thought of every member of the Big 10, Pac 10, SEC, Big 12, ACC and maybe even the Big Least.

If either team played in one of those conferences, they are losing a game. No doubt about it. Replace TCU with Northwestern. We are talking about Northwestern needing to win 1 nonconference game per year and then run the table against 7 Indianas. I think they could do it once every 5 years and play for the NC.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Not sure why this is a story at all.

Didnt he essentially make the same argument that every anti Boise and TCU tv/radio personality has made all season long?
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:25 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:44 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Gee obviously has no clue how poor Ohio State's strength of schedule has been the last few seasons, and how favorably Boise's compares to it this year.

You obviously have no clue as to just how bad the Western Athletic Conference is. Basically, once you get past Boise, Nevada and maybe Hawaii or Fresno, the WAC is a gussied-up version of the Big Sky.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mikeperry » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:35 am

I am now rooting for an Ohio State - Boise State BCS Bowl. If the Broncos don't get into the championship game, would love to see them lock horns with the Bucs.
Crush, Kill, Destroy!
-Phil Taylor
mikeperry

Favorite Player: Eric Davis
Least Favorite Player: PK Subban

Unread postby furls » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:26 am

Only a story because Gee said what knowledgeable fans say every day. Whether the argument is good, bad or ugly or you agree or disagree, it has a valid point. The fact of the matter is that why should we limit it to TCU or BSU then? Why not give undefeated MAC and C-USA teams auto-berths too?

Unfortunately Gee just made OSU the billboard material for all the BSU/TCU shrills in the world. Now, should OSU lose to a TCU or BSU then... yikes.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Spin » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:18 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Gee obviously has no clue how poor Ohio State's strength of schedule has been the last few seasons, and how favorably Boise's compares to it this year.

You obviously have no clue as to just how bad the Western Athletic Conference is. Basically, once you get past Boise, Nevada and maybe Hawaii or Fresno, the WAC is a gussied-up version of the Big Sky.

And the bottom half of the Big Ten would have a real challenge in the WAC, MWC, CUSA, and MAC. Using Sagarin Ratings as a gauge...

So 104th ranked Minnesota or 105th ranked Indiana should be eligible for something 3rd and 4th shouldn't? Just because of their conference? I'm glad college basketball isn't controlled by those elitists...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:39 am

College hoops isn't even close to the same thing. All you need in NCAAB to be competitive is a (one) great player. That great player (Curry) can take a team pretty far by himself. In NCAAF your best player only plays 1/2 the game at 1/11th of the positions. The effect of a great player is reduced greatly based on the size of the field and the number of players on it. Due to the non demanding physical nature and quick recovery, the tourney can take the 68 best teams. If it was limited to the top 2 best teams (or ten if you count all of the B10 in your anti small guy conspiracy) you would be bringing the same weak argument.

And the bottom half of the Big Ten would have a real challenge in the WAC, MWC, CUSA, and MAC. Using Sagarin Ratings as a gauge...

No one is arguing that the bottom of the B10 would struggle to win the MWC or WAC, the point is that winning the WAC or MWC (or MAC or C-USA or Big Sky) is really not that big of a deal and that simply winning all your games does not make you the best team in the country.

BSU has only played two teams from BCS conferences; VaTech and Oregon State. VaTech is an OK win and Oregon state is 5-5. The WAC is garbage; the only decent teams are BSU and Nevada. The MWC is only slightly better.

The issue is that outside of the top 2 teams in the MWC or WAC the rest of the conference is almost literally a bye week. LA Tech, Colorado St, SJSU, and the like. It is the fact that the middle of the pack in the B10 is teams like Iowa, Penn St, and NW. That is a far cry from the middle of the WACs: Fresno State, La Tech and Idaho. The problem is even worse in the SEC. BSU/TCU want the BCS? Petition and join the B12 if they will have you.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:46 am

furls wrote:College hoops isn't even close to the same thing. All you need in NCAAB to be competitive is a (one) great player. That great player (Curry) can take a team pretty far by himself. In NCAAF your best player only plays 1/2 the game at 1/11th of the positions. The effect of a great player is reduced greatly based on the size of the field and the number of players on it. Due to the non demanding physical nature and quick recovery, the tourney can take the 68 best teams. If it was limited to the top 2 best teams (or ten if you count all of the B10 in your anti small guy conspiracy) you would be bringing the same weak argument.

No one is arguing that the bottom of the B10 would struggle to win the MWC or WAC, the point is that winning the WAC or MWC (or MAC or C-USA or Big Sky) is really not that big of a deal and that simply winning all your games does not make you the best team in the country.

BSU has only played two teams from BCS conferences; VaTech and Oregon State. VaTech is an OK win and Oregon state is 5-5. The WAC is garbage; the only decent teams are BSU and Nevada. The MWC is only slightly better.

The issue is that outside of the top 2 teams in the MWC or WAC the rest of the conference is almost literally a bye week. LA Tech, Colorado St, SJSU, and the like. It is the fact that the middle of the pack in the B10 is teams like Iowa, Penn St, and NW. That is a far cry from the middle of the WACs: Fresno State, La Tech and Idaho. The problem is even worse in the SEC. BSU/TCU want the BCS? Petition and join the B12 if they will have you.

And this leads us to last night. Mentioned this in the thread in the Browns section, but the kicker yaks last night. Happened to be playing someone with a pulse. How many hiccups does Boise get away with on a yearly basis against Wyoming that nobody the hell knows about? The teams that pay the price wekk in and week out have earned the right to get the benefits they get over the Boise's of the world.

And Moore for the Heisman? Nice player, but was sacked FIVE times going into last night. Livin' in a totally different world than Cam, Pryor, Murray and the like.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Spin » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:27 pm

Point is, in football, unless you're in a legacy conference, why try? (And apparently that's how some local schools think :gah: ). You can build a powerhouse, but because of "strength of schedule", you're somehow lesser then teams in the elitist conferences. Even though half of the teams the legacy schools play in the elitist conferences are fodder anywhere.

If the elitist conferences had relegation and promotion, I'd buy the BCS. But when the third and fourth best programs in the country don't have the same privileges Indifrickenana does, that's something you would expect in small time college sports. Not the top.
Spin

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:49 pm

I think it's pretty clear that as a conference, the WAC is less than stellar. The real question is, is this BSU team good enough to win 10 games in the other conferences? I think they win 10 in the PAC 10, Big 12, ACC and Big East. 9 in the Big 10 and 8 in the SEC. Are they the best team in the country, obviously not, but they are pretty darn good. Their skill players are good enough to give match up problems to just about every team in the nation, and the defense is decent.

Pipe is right, they can hide the hiccups in a weak conference, but they have been winning by 40+ points a game. They don't hiccup that often.

Spin- congrats on not going O-fer. BTW, did you see the Golden Flashes play like MEN yesterday?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:02 pm

Spin wrote:If the elitist conferences had relegation and promotion, I'd buy the BCS. But when the third and fourth best programs in the country don't have the same privileges Indifrickenana does, that's something you would expect in small time college sports. Not the top.

Meh... those "third and fourth best programs in the country", as you call them, wouldn't even be that high if they played a steady diet of teams like "Indi-fricken-ana" in my opinion.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:34 pm

furls wrote:College hoops isn't even close to the same thing. All you need in NCAAB to be competitive is a (one) great player. That great player (Curry) can take a team pretty far by himself. In NCAAF your best player only plays 1/2 the game at 1/11th of the positions. The effect of a great player is reduced greatly based on the size of the field and the number of players on it.

Meanwhile, Auburn's Two Hundred Thousand Dollar Man overcame a twenty-point deficit in the Iron Bowl, paving its way to a soon-to-be-vacated BCS Title game.

The problem is even worse in the SEC. BSU/TCU want the BCS? Petition and join the B12 if they will have you.

What, you think Texas and Oklahoma want more competition in the French XII? You put in another real team and suddenly that sweet sweet BCS bowl money is harder to reach for!.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:49 pm

What, you think Texas and Oklahoma want more competition in the French XII? You put in another real team and suddenly that sweet sweet BCS bowl money is harder to reach for!.

Please tell me who killed Kennedy too. Seriously, you think there is a nationwide conspiracy to keep BSU/TCU out? B10 teams make less money from BCS games than they do from normal home games. The teams really don't really profit that much from a BCS berth. OSU will only make ~1.5m for making a BCS game, OSU makes ~5-7m per home game. There is no conference conspiracy to keep teams out, what keeps BSU/TCU out of the BXII is more likely there inability to produce anything worth a crap in any other sport, therefore not making them worth the travel expense.

Like I said, winning all your crap conference games does not make you the best team in the country. Anyone who is seriously comparing the WAC or MWC to the SEC, B10, P10 or BXII is an idiot. Like many have said, BSU and TCU are nice teams that may or may not be able to compete with the upper echelon's of the upper conferences, but the rest of their conference is such dogshit that it makes it impossible to justify finding out. I think BSU/TCU is a #3 type team in any of the major conferences and honestly pbly about a 15-20ish team in the country if they were forced to play in a real conference. They are not bad teams, they are just not top 1-2 teams.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:31 pm

furls wrote:Please tell me who killed Kennedy too.

Lee Harvey Oswald.

Seriously, you think there is a nationwide conspiracy to keep BSU/TCU out?

Where did I say there was a nationwide conspiracy? Its a matter of when not if the Pac-10 will come knocking on Boise's door, I'm just cracking on the French XII turning into Texas's playground.

Like I said, winning all your crap conference games does not make you the best team in the country. Anyone who is seriously comparing the WAC or MWC to the SEC, B10, P10 or BXII is an idiot.

This really stuck in your craw, didn't it.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:39 pm

pup wrote:Don't hate because of the messenger. What he says is true and is the thought of every member of the Big 10, Pac 10, SEC, Big 12, ACC and maybe even the Big Least.

Not the point. Yes, what he says is true. We all know it. Joe the Plumber knows. SEC Neckcar Dothan Alabama guy knows. Even Timmy B and Gus Johnson know.

Why does Dr. Gee feel the need to make a statement? Much like Abram Elam, what purpose did this serve?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:40 pm

nm
Last edited by mattvan1 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Spin » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Spin- congrats on not going O-fer. BTW, did you see the Golden Flashes play like MEN yesterday?

I was kind of busy getting ready to watch the Division I tournament in person. Sweet 16 bound. Did they play soccer at Kent this year, or are they still waiting for the one ball to blow down off the roor?

I did hear about the Kent game. They were playing a MAC school. So according to this thread, it doesn't count. ;-) ;) :wink:

Hell Akron won a game last week without a real coach or anyone else in the stadium. Top that.
Spin

Return to College Sports Arena