Text Size

College Sports Arena

Pryor coming back for final year

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Pryor coming back for final year

Unread postby Toxicadam » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Sorry if posted elsewhere.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sp ... ml?sid=101

Nine games into his junior season, Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor said yesterday he has no plans to forego his senior season and head for the NFL.

"It would be hard being away from a lot of the guys I've been around, and I want to get my degree as well, so I could finish that up," Pryor said. "I want to have a legacy here, you know? Maybe someday get my jersey hung up. That's one of my goals as well here."

It hadn't been a subject of serious conjecture anyway, but the talk was out there.

"I just think I've got to develop my brain how I can control situations. I think a lot of people, whether you are here or at a different college, should develop your mind before you take off, because decisions outside of here, not just on the football field but decisions (away from the game) are important as well."
Toxicadam

Re: Pryor coming back for final year

Unread postby swerb » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:05 pm

I'd still put it at 50/50. That said, he seems serious about wanting to play QB at the next level. The senior year will help him a lot in that pursuit. He'd also be about even money to win the Heisman next year.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:16 am

swerb wrote:I'd still put it at 50/50. That said, he seems serious about wanting to play QB at the next level. The senior year will help him a lot in that pursuit. He'd also be about even money to win the Heisman next year.

Nah, he also said he isn't leaving without all the records at OSU, and that he wants his Jersey retired.

Between that, his probably NFL score, and the other QB's coming out, I think its more like 90/10.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:17 am

"So are we."
- Beanie Wells & Mike Conley

And the check is in the mail, I love you, I won't %$# in your mouth, and my goal is to bring an NBA title to Cleveland.

But seriously...

I saw one site that has him projected at round 3 behind about 5 other QB's who can actually pass the football into a seam. This is the reason I'd be shocked if he went pro. I doubt one more season makes the dif as this kid just ain't got it for Sunday behind center, but there's always a chance if he stays.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby swerb » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:44 am

Kid could be a Pro Bowl WR by his second season.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:25 pm

The only thing I am certain of is that Pryor didn't write any of that stuff.

Stay in school kid, improve your game, and get your degree, b/c there is a real good chance you'll need it before you're 26 years old.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:37 pm

FUDU wrote:The only thing I am certain of is that Pryor didn't write any of that stuff.

Stay in school kid, improve your game, and get your degree, b/c there is a real good chance you'll need it before you're 26 years old.

Pretty sure that was an interview FUDU.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:19 pm

JCoz wrote:Pretty sure that was an interview FUDU.

Yep...here's the video.

http://bit.ly/atFJuB

Who the hell knows whether Pryor will turn out to be Jamarcus Russell or John Elway once he gets to the NFL. A lot will depend on who drafts him, what kind of coaching he gets, and whether or not he can toughen up and manage to avoid injuries.

But a year from now, the folks who say he can't pass the ball will have to explain to the rest of us how a guy who can't throw owns every career OSU record for passing yardage, TD passes, total touchdowns and total offense. (I know...4-year starter, and an OSU legacy of QB's that's not exactly Purdue)

If you think he may not be smart enough to succeed at QB in the NFL, I'd say that's a legitimate concern for NFL people to look at. Because surely they're not going to be concerned about any physical limitations, least of all the strength of the kid's arm. I don't think anyone who has been around him questions his competitiveness or his will to win, or to be a "winner".

I'll not go out on a limb and predict NFL greatness for the guy, because I'm not yet convinced of it. But I do think he'll be drafted and will play the position in the NFL. He's already a much better passer than Vince Young ever was in college, and Young is an NFL starter. Look around at some of the stiffs playing the position in the NFL and tell me you wouldn't rather have TP in there making things happen.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Return to College Sports Arena