Text Size

College Sports Arena

First Look at OSU B-ball team

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

First Look at OSU B-ball team

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:09 pm

No. 5 OSU toyed with Walsh in an exhibition game Sunday, but it was the first public appearance for the Buckeye roundballers. Here's the story and link to Box score. Attendance was over 12,000. That's a little surprising....

http://bit.ly/btg0xN

Briefly...

Freshman Jared Sullinger made his Buckeye debut with 22 pts, 10 rebounds

Freshman point guard Aaron Craft...12 pts, 8 dimes

Freshman DeShaun Thomas 8 pts, 6 boards

Lighty 19 pts.

Buford 16 pts.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: First Look at OSU B-ball team

Unread postby pup » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:14 pm

You got a source to confirm or deny young Mr. Sullinger's destruction of Baylor behind closed doors?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:24 am

I hadn't heard anything, but I went looking and came up with some stuff. This summary was posted at BP:

-We murdered Baylor. There were 3 halves played and then a 5 minute thing at the end. We won by over 20.

-Starters included Sully, Buford, Diebs, Lighty, and Dallas as expected.

-Sully scored over 30 points with "an extremely high FG%.

-Craft is gonna have to play a lot because he runs the offense so well. He played very well.

-Buford didn't play much. Not sure why.

-Apparently Dunn didn't play because he's battling an injury and not because of those legal issues. Seemed odd to me.
Also, my guy said that the team, especially the younger guys, looked way better in the scrimmage and that's largely in part to the older guys not cheating on defense with knowledge of the play call. Guys like JD Weatherspoon that he called "raw" looked night and day different in a game situation. Apparently, JD had a thunderous tip dunk overtop of Sully. DT had a good game too FWIW.

The thing I liked the most was hearing about our overall defensive premise. man to man seems to be the go to with an "in your face" type of approach. love it.

one last thing. we were talking about the overall strength of the big ten. he said no way in hell guys like johnson or tisdale can match up man to man with sully. he's way to big and physical for guys like that, which is one reason he tore up baylor- a team with a bunch of lanky, run and gun type guys. our team is very balanced this year because of sully's offensive ability.

Evan Daniels of Scout tweeted: "How about this for some freshman information. Rumor has it Jared Sullinger went for 40ish on Perry Jones in the OSU/Baylor silent scrimmage."

Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports reported the following:

BAYLOR AT OHIO STATE

- Baylor guard LaceDarius Dunn was in attendance, but did not play. The word I got was that it was a sore Achilles.

- The best player on the court was either Ohio State freshman Jared Sullinger or Buckeyes senior David Lighty. Sullinger was able to take advantage of a Bears defense that is still getting used to playing without shot-blocker Ekpe Udoh while Lighty was, well, just Lighty – and was good on both ends of the court.

- Baylor freshman Perry Jones played well – and even brought the ball up the court as a quasi-point guard on a few occasions.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38 am

Steve Helwagen at Bucknuts has lots more...

http://bit.ly/ay50dO

He mentions at the end that the Florida A&T game will be on ESPN3.com.

Speaking of which...I don't know if you guys have gotten into watching sports on ESPN3.com, but I just registered this past week, and have already watched several college football games, live and replayed, on this site. I'm know I'm probably late to the dance myself, but if you haven't already, I'd suggest looking into it.

It's not available to all cable company subscribers...you have to check at the site, but it takes just a minute or two to register, it's totally free, and the video is HD quality. I know all Time-Warner subscribers can get it. Grab your cable bill before you register, because you'll need to enter your account number to get going.

danwismar

Unread postby tired » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Thanks wiz !!! Great stuff !!!
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Return to College Sports Arena