Text Size

College Sports Arena

Cleveland State basketball 2011 recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Cleveland State basketball 2011 recruiting

Unread postby tommieskoski » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:25 am

Cleveland State added its fourth recruit to its class of 2011 on Monday, when Marlin Mason (6-6, F) committed to the Vikings, according to TJ Kelley of InsidePrepSports.

Mason joins CSU's 2011 class that includes Charles Lee (5-8, PG), Anton Grady (6-8, PF), and Tre' Brown (6-5, WG).

http://www.ipsbasketball.com/marlin_mason_commit

Cleveland State Stays in the Great Lakes

10/4/10

Inside Prep Sports

Over the years, Cleveland State has had succes in recruiting Michigan players. Monday night, one of Detroit's better players made a commitment.

6'6" 2011 forward Marlin Mason of Detroit Cass Tech committed to the Vikings. While he's still raw, he plays above the rim, and has a knack for rebounding, and blocking shots. Mason has power forward traits but shows signs of developing into either a skilled four-man or small forward in recent fall open gyms and in this past summer with his AAU team, Southfield Transition 17u. He also helped lead Cass Tech into the Detroit Public School League playoffs for the first time under head coach Dave Dixon.

Southfield Transition's program director, Dez Denam, and 17u coach said this about Marlin, "He's a true athletic, blue collar, and intelligent basketball player. He's worked himself into what he's earned."

Marlin unofficially visited Central Michigan in the past month and had strong looks and offers from other Horizon League, Mid-American Conference, and Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference programs.

By TJ Kelley

twitter/scoopIPS

http://blog.mlive.com/highschoolbasketb ... niors.html

Two of top 10 unsigned seniors take step towards NCAA March ambition
Published: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 10:43 PM Updated: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 11:56 PM
Stephen Bell Stephen Bell

When we look back on college teams whose unanticipated sublime performances have made the NCAA Tournament the true beautiful game, the names Cleveland State and Bucknell ring out.

It was Cleveland State, with NYC playground legend Mouse McFadden at the point and the ill-fated Kevin Mackey coaching, beating Bobby Knight's No. 3 seed IU before reaching the 1986 Sweet 16. Michigan native and current Cleveland State coach Gary "What Has Tommy Amaker Ever Done?" Waters is a Mr. Mid-Major March himself. His Kent State team made the Sweet 16 in 2001 (then after Waters had left for Rutgers, Stan Heath took over and the Michigan core of Antonio Gates, Trevor Huffman and Andrew Mitchell went one round farther). Teams in the Horizon are working hard to be a consistent second-bid team behind Butler. Like Detroit did with Ray McCallum Jr., Cleveland State kept pace with the commitment of local star Anton Grady. Now the Vikings add a commitment from 6-foot-6 Detroit Cass Tech senior Marlin Mason. He'll be the physical, athletic, hustle complement to the other forward Grady. His strength, ups and motor may call to mind another Michigan alumnus who excelled at Cleveland State, Flint Northern's J'Nathan Bullock.

Another top 10 uncommitted pledge comes from 6-7 Petoskey senior Cory Starkey to Bucknell. He and Mason are very similar. They like to assert their athletic and physical advantages, blocking shots, dunking, going hard and taking hits. The style and approach to their games represent well the most admirable traits of their basketball birth route, Detroit and Northern Michigan.

Bucknell's 15 minutes of hoop fame went on the clock with a first-round, last-minute ko of No. 3 seed Kansas in 2005, then ended after another first-round win in 2006. The Bison are assembling the talent to get back to the Tournament. Bucknell already has a gifted guard in Cameron Ayers and 6-10 Mike Muscala, and Starkey will give it another player whose talent is way above average for the Patriot League.

Starkey will join two other Michigan alumni in the Patriot. Former De La Salle center Kevin McCarthy is a freshman at Lehigh, where Traverse City St. Francis' Holden Greiner is a sophomore returning to the rotation of the league's 2010 NCAA entry.

Talk about knowing your recruiting niche. Bucknell has offered another Emmet County kid, Pellston junior guard Christopher Hass, while Cleveland State has one out for Mason's Cass Tech teammate, senior guard Kris Fulwood-Davis. KFD also has an offer from Northeastern, while Hass is being recruited by Davidson, Wisconsin, Oakland, Central Michigan and Western Michigan.
Last edited by tommieskoski on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tommieskoski

Re: Cleveland State basketball 2011 recruiting

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:30 pm

Should probably just keep bumping the same thread?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby tommieskoski » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:02 am

http://www.ny2lasports.com/daily_dime_o ... imeid=1176

NWAMU TO CLEVELAND STATE

04:41 PM - October 22, 2010
Antonio Curro - NATIONAL RECRUITING DIRECTOR - NY2LASPORTS.COM
2011 SG Ike Nwamu of High Point (NC) has verbally committed to Cleveland State. He played with the D-One Sports program during the grassroots travel season.

http://twitter.com/#!/rodgerbohn/status/28438662861

Cleveland State with a GREAT get in 6'3 SG Ike Nwamu from Westchester Country Day (NC).Explosive athlete who can shoot the lights out.

http://www.ipsbasketball.com/cleveland_ ... high_flyer

Vikings Land High Flier

10/23/10

Inside Prep Sports

Friday evening the Cleveland State landed their fifth verbal commitment from the 2011 class, a high flying wing from North Carolina.

6'3" wing Ike Nwamu of Westchester (NC.) Country Day committed to the Vikings. The powerfully built Nwamu finishes above the rim, can create for himself, and is an efficient all-around scorer from the perimeter and in. He's also the third commit from Country Day to make to decide where he'll continue playing basketball this week as Quincy Miller and Deuce Bello committed to Baylor. All three are top national top 150 players.

Inside Prep Sports had an opportunity to catch up to Nwamu after his decision and he said his decision came down to "Mercer and Cleveland State." With his skill level he has an opportunity to come in and make an immediate impact and he told IPS what Vikings fans can expect, "They can expect me to do what I do now. I'll get them on their feet."

He joins 5'9" point guard Charles Lee, 6'5" guard Trey Brown, 6'6" forward Marlin Mason, and 6'8" forward Anton Grady to form what is expected to be Cleveland State's best recruiting class under head coach Gary Waters.

By TJ Kelley
twitter/scoopIPS

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... /ike-nwamu

Cleveland St. nabs big guard Ike Nwamu
6-foot-2, 205 pound shooting guard Ike Nwamu verbally committed to Cleveland State over the weekend, ESPN.com's Dave Telep reports.

"Cleveland State has been working hard in North Carolina and over the weekend, their attention to detail paid off," Telep noted.

"The staff targeted Ike and he gave them the thumbs up a week after his official visit. Nwamu is a 6-foot-2, 205 pound battering ram of a guard."

Nwamu rewarded the Vikings for their early interest.

"That was the first school that offered me," Nwamu said. "I really felt like I was their guy. Some other schools fell off me, but I trusted Cleveland State and they never fell off."

tommieskoski

Unread postby tommieskoski » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:58 pm

http://www.csuvikings.com/sports/m-bask ... 10aaa.html

Men's Basketball Adds Five During Early Signing Period

Five High School Student-Athletes Comprise "Best Class Yet" To Come To CSU Under Waters

Nov. 11, 2010

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Buoyed by a pair of post-season appearances and an average of 21 victories over the last three years, the Cleveland State men's basketball added another victory on Thursday (Nov. 11) when head coach Gary Waters announced the signing of five high school student-athletes to national letters of intent to attend Cleveland State and play basketball beginning in the fall of 2011.

Signing with Cleveland State are Tremain Brown (Warren, Ohio/Warren G. Harding), Anton Grady (Cleveland, Ohio/Cleveland Central Catholic), Charles Lee (Milwaukee, WI/Huntington Prep), Marlin Mason (Detroit, MI/Cass Tech) and Ike Nwamu (Greensboro, NC/Westchester Country Day). Each will enter CSU as freshman next fall with all four seasons of eligibility remaining.

"I am very excited about this class," Waters said. "It is the strongest class that we have brought in during the five years that I have been at Cleveland State. I can't say that it is the best class in school history because I don't know the history here, but I wouldn't doubt it.

"Getting the type of players that would allow us to play our style of basketball was very important this year. I was looking for players who could play our pressing style and had a great deal of athleticism and this class is just that.

"This class is about as versatile and athletic as they get with just about every player being capable of playing multiple positions."

Brown, a 6-5, 185-pound wing, averaged 13.6 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.2 assists as a junior, helped Harding to a 23-3 record. He earned first team all-county honors.

"Tre is the most versatile player in this class," Waters said. "He can play multiple positions around the perimeter, from point guard to a wing forward. He is 6-5 but has outstanding ball handling skills, can shoot from the outside and score going to the basket. I believe that Tre is a great addition to our program.

Grady, a 6-8, 215-pound forward, has been a dominant force in Cleveland-area basketball the last three years. He averaged 13.5 points, 7.1 rebounds and 4.5 blocks as a junior.

Grady averaged 11.6 points, 12.1 rebounds and 8.2 blocks as a sophomore to lead Central Catholic to a 23-3 record and the state Division III title. He was rated as the fourth best prospect in Ohio by ESPN.com and earned three stars from ESPN.com, Rivals.com and Scout.com.

A three-year starter, Grady owns career averages of 12.6 points, 9.6 rebounds and 6.3 blocks.

"The addition of Anton is a very big step for our program because he is an area kid who is recognized as being one of the best players in the state this year. For Cleveland State to get a player like Anton to stay home to play, it sends a message to the other schools in the state.

"Anton is a forward with the natural ability to play both inside and outside. He is very athletic, loves to run the floor and he has a great feel for the game while fitting into our philosophy of adding players who are winners."

Lee, a 5-9, 160-pound point guard, played his high school basketball at Hamilton High in Milwaukee before heading to Huntington (WV) Prep this season.

A third team all-region choice as a junior in 2009-10 at Hamilton, he averaged 11.5 points and 5.4 assists to help the team to a 20-4 record and the quarterfinals of the state tournament.

A first team all-league choice in each of his final two seasons, he was ranked 68th at his position by ESPN.com

"Charles is what I call a point guard deluxe," Waters said. "He excels at leading the team on the floor and defends the ball as well as any player that I have ever seen. He shoots the ball well, both from three-point and when creating shots for himself inside the arc, and is an outstanding passer. I believe that he can put us in position to win multiple championships during his career."

Mason, a 6-6, 210-pound forward, averaged 11.4 points, 8.2 rebounds and 3.4 blocks as a junior, helping Cass Tech to a 16-5 record.

A preseason first team all-league choice this year, he averaged 10.6 points, 8.2 rebounds and 4.0 blocks per game as a sophomore while playing at Harrison High in Farmington Hills, MI.

"Marlin is the youngest player in the class and I believe that he is just beginning to realize his true potential on the court," Waters said. "He is 6-6 and has great athleticism that allows him to play both inside and outside. I look forward to seeing him grow as a player in the next five years."

Nwamu, a 6-3, 195-pound guard, earned first team all-conference honors in each of the last two years while leading his team to a 55-3 record, including a second place finish in the state tourney last year.

He averaged 17.4 points per game last year and owns career averages of 16.1 points, 5.8 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 2.9 steals while shooting 72-percent from the line.

"Ike is the steal of this class," Waters said. "He has the ability to score from the perimeter and off the dribble and possesses unbelievable athleticism. He also comes from a winning program, one that could very well be the best in North Carolina this year.

The signings come on the eve of the opening of the 80th season of basketball at Cleveland State.

The Vikings return all five starters from the 2009-10 squad that won 16 games while playing against one of the most difficult non-conference schedules in the nation. CSU is led by senior Norris Cole, who was a first team All-Horizon League selection last year after averaging 16.3 points a game.

CSU opens the 2010-11 regular season with the busiest opening weekend in school history as the Vikings will play four games in four days (Nov. 12-15) as part of the World Vision Classic. CSU will take on Bryant on Friday (7:30 p.m.), Iona on Saturday (6:00 p.m.), Kent State on Sunday (6:00 p.m.) and Urbana on Monday (7:00 p.m.).

Season, mini-plan and individual game tickets are available by calling the Wolstein Center Ticket Office at (216) 687-4848 or by visiting CSUHoops.com.
tommieskoski

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:21 pm

This class really has me excited. Getting Anton Grady to stay in Cleveland is a huge feat for Waters. They were in on Dallas Lauderdale before he settled on OSU and they thought he could be the guy to turn the tide for these local players. It took a few years but Grady is that guy.

Now, I don't believe the Vikings will ever be able to compete head-to-head with OSU for in-state guys, and Izzo and the other Big Ten coaches will always pull their share of Ohio talent. But with OSU recruiting nationally these days for the top 5-star talent, there is no reason for these 3 and 4 star Cleveland guys to go out of state or to consider the MAC or the A-10 when they can play against just as good/better competition and make tournament runs right in their home town. What Butler did last year really could help CSU in recruiting and this year's current freshman and next year's incoming class already seem to prove that it is.

This was a pivotal two-year recruiting stretch for CSU with so many juniors and seniors on this year's team. After the departure of Cedric Jackson and J'Nathan Bullock, Waters had already ensured the talent maintained a high level with the Cole/Brown and Montgomery/Harmon classes in the two previous years. With those guys now taking up all the playing time, there really hasn't been a chance to develop any other young players. It says something that the top freshman or sophomore on the team is former walk-on Tim Kamczyc. With last year's Juco class being a huge bust, Waters needed to restock before it was too late. At least on paper, he did.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby tommieskoski » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:52 pm

http://clevelandstatehoops.blogspot.com ... -sign.html

Cleveland State notebook: CSU men sign five during early signing period

After Butler came one basket away from winning the national championship a year ago with a starting lineup consisting of one post player and four guards - Cleveland State men’s basketball coach Gary Waters decided he needed to change his recruiting direction.

“This year we wanted to put some emphasize on getting the type of players that fit the way we wanted to play in the very near future,” said Waters, who announced the signings of Anton Grady of Cleveland Central Catholic, Charles Lee of Huntington Prep (WV), Ike Nwamu of Westchester Country Day (NC), Tre’ Brown of Warren G. Harding and Marlin Mason of Detroit Cass Tech, on Thursday. “Butler is an example what a mid-major can do if the right personnel is on the floor.

“When I was at Kent State we would get to the dance and run into these teams with a lot big guys. So I would recruit a lot of big guys (to try to match-up with them). What Butler showed me is that (size) is not the issue let them play you. However, (Butler’s run) did show me the mobility of the 4-man. I think that’s the key in college basketball.”

Last year, it was Butler’s 4-man Gordon Hayward, who now plays for the Utah Jazz, that gave the high majors problems in the NCAA Tournament. He used his quickness to beat slower 4-men off the dribble and his outside shooting to offset quicker defenders. Waters said the reason he thinks Butler did so well in last year’s tournament was because teams didn’t know how to guard Hayward.

Waters thinks he might have found his Hayward in the 6-foot-8, 215-pound Grady, who was rated the fourth best prospect in Ohio by ESPN.com, and was rated a three-star prospect by ESPN.com, Rivals.com and Scout.com.

Grady is the cousin of Milwaukee Bucks guard Earl Boykins, who Waters coached at Eastern Michigan. Grady averaged 13.5 points, 7.1 rebounds and 4.5 blocks as a junior for CCC.

As a sophomore, Grady averaged 11.6 points, 12.1 rebounds and 8.2 blocks, leading CCC to a 23-3 record and the Division III state title. He also led his AAU team Friends 4 Life to a 16u national championship at the Inside Prep Sports Border Battle that summer.

“Grady can run the floor, space the floor, he’s a very good passer and he can rebound the basketball. He’s an okay shooter and can do a flew things inside,” said Waters. “What makes him different from most (other 4-man) is his athleticism and his quickness.

“When you put him inside he’s a very effective post player with his quickness. When you take him on the outside he can guard the outside guy and (Grady) can score from the outside. That mobility I think is great for the scheme we are trying to do.”

The point guard of the future is the 5-foot-9, 160-pound Lee who's from Milwaukee and is prepping at Huntington Prep this season.

Lee is rated a two-star prospect and the 68th-best point guard in the class of 2011 by ESPN.com. He averaged 11.5 points and 5.4 assists as a junior for Milwaukee Hamilton, helping them to a 20-4 record and the quarterfinals of the state tournament.

“Charlie is a special kid. We are very fortunate to get a kid like that here,” said Waters. “When we started to recruit him at the end of his sophomore season he looked like Earl Boykins out there. The only difference between them is Earl is more offensive minded and can put up points and Charlie is more team oriented and wants to get everybody involved, but he can also score.”

The “biggest steal” in the class, according to Waters, is Nwamu, a 6-foot-3, 195-pound shooting guard.

Nwamu, a two-star prospect by Scout.com and ESPN.com, averaged 17.4 points last season for Westchester. He is rated the 124th-best shooting guard in the class of 2011 by ESPN.com.

“He has a lot of talent,” said Waters. “He’s as big as (Butler’s) Shelvin Mack right now, but he has twice the athleticism of (Mack). His strength is shooting the 3-pointer. It’s hard to find an athlete that can shoot the 3-pointer.”

The “most versatile player” in the class is Brown, a 6-foot-5, 185-pound wing, who can play the 1, 2, or 3 positions.

Brown averaged 13.6 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.2 assists as a junior helping Warren Harding to a 23-3 record.

“Tre’ can handle the ball. He can shoot the ball. He can rebound the ball and he has good size,” said Waters. “All we have to do is add some weight to him and he’s exactly what we need out there.

“The thing that impresses me this summer was his athleticism. I didn’t know he had that type of athleticism. When I seen that I said we needed to recruit him harder.”

The youngest player in the group is Mason, a 6-foot-6, 210-pound forward, who just turned 17. Mason averaged 11.4 points, 8.2 rebounds and 3.4 blocks as a junior, helping Cass Tech to a 16-5 record.

“Marlin is an athlete. I think his future is ahead of him,” said Waters. “He plays the 4, but can also play the 3 on the outside.

“He’s a better athlete then J’Nathan (Bullock), powerful like J’Nathan, but he doesn’t have that (same) type of power that J’Nathan had.”

CSU women sign three: CSU women’s basketball coach Kate Peterson Abiad announced on Wednesday the signing of three high school seniors to national letters of intent. They are Imani Gordon of Akron Firestone, Kiersten Green of Manheim Township (PA), and Tess Zufall of Greensburg Central Catholic (PA).

“(We were looking for) gym rats who would be my hardest workers,” said Peterson Abiad. “We needed a point guard and we were also looking for athleticism and quickness. We wanted to build some depth (with this class).”

Gordon, a 6-foot guard, averaged 22.5 points, 10.8 rebounds, 7.1 steals and 6.2 assists for Firestone last year and was named the Akron city Player of the Year.

“Imani is a tremendous athlete. She comes from a tremendous program in the state of Ohio,” said Peterson Abiad. “She can post up a little bit and is a very good rebounder. I’m extremely excited to get her.”

Green, a 5-foot-5 guard, averaged 16.0 points and 4.0 rebounds per game as a junior, earning all-conference selection.

“Kiersten has a small frame, is agile and quick,” said Peterson Abiad. “She’s a great scorer. She thinks basketball all of the time.”

Zufall, a 5-foot-8 guard, averaging 18.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 4.0 assists as a junior for Central Catholic.

“Tess is a kid who will give her heart and soul to this program and will work everyday to become the best player she can be,” said Peterson Abiad. “I’m thrilled to get her (at CSU).”

News and notes: Waters said he would like to add two or three recruits for the class of 2011…. The CSU women could add another point guard to this year’s class.
tommieskoski

Unread postby tommieskoski » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:49 am

Cleveland State recruit Ike Nwamu puts on a show, winning the 2011 Hoopshall Classic Slam dunk contest this past Sunday at the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass.

tommieskoski

Return to College Sports Arena