Text Size

College Sports Arena

Brionte Dunn Announcing for OSU today

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Brionte Dunn Announcing for OSU today

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:35 pm

Word is GlenOak stud running back Brionte Dunn is announcing his OSU commitment this afternoon.

Also...mark it down...Duron Carter is coming back to OSU for 2011.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: Brionte Dunn Announcing for OSU today

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:30 pm

Hearing Dunn described by people who have seen him play a lot as...

"Beanie Wells, but just a tad slower....but tougher."
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:04 pm

What's the story on Duron Carter Dan?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:43 pm

Love the Dunn commit.

RB is done for 2012.

Swerb, I'm sure Dan will have plenty to add, but Carter is visiting many schools and reopening his recruitment, and to me its a total crapshoot as to him returning.

If I was betting on it I would put Duron at 20% to return, Wells at 30%.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:07 am

Got in late from Tribe game (a rare Hafner sighting, BTW)

Not a lot to add on Carter coming back...just the word of a reliable source who is in touch with the Carter family saying it won't be officially announced for a while but that it's going to happen. Carter still needs to continue to get grades over the full academic year, from what I understand, so any talk of a "done deal" is premature, but it is fair to say that if he continues on his present course and regains eligibility, he will return to OSU.

Yesterday Duron tweeted to friends "Once a Buckeye...Always a Buckeye", and suggested people read into that what they will. (I don't follow Duron, but that is what's reported. (second-hand tweeting...from 19-year olds...sheesh)

Keith Wells also still wants very much to return to OSU, and I would say it's the same deal with him...if he gets the grades, OSU leads any other contenders to get him .

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:27 am

wiz1001 wrote:Got in late from Tribe game (a rare Hafner sighting, BTW)

Not a lot to add on Carter coming back...just the word of a reliable source who is in touch with the Carter family saying it won't be officially announced for a while but that it's going to happen. Carter still needs to continue to get grades over the full academic year, from what I understand, so any talk of a "done deal" is premature, but it is fair to say that if he continues on his present course and regains eligibility, he will return to OSU.

Yesterday Duron tweeted to friends "Once a Buckeye...Always a Buckeye", and suggested people read into that what they will. (I don't follow Duron, but that is what's reported. (second-hand tweeting...from 19-year olds...sheesh)

Keith Wells also still wants very much to return to OSU, and I would say it's the same deal with him...if he gets the grades, OSU leads any other contenders to get him .

I Guess that is encouraging RE: Carter, and I'll say this: if we win the NC and Pryor comes back, there is no chance in hell that Carter isn't on this team....and I've really never thought of it that way, but if I was factoring my thoughts on that in, I'd say he's more likely than not to be a buckeye again.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:27 am

Word on the street is that Wells will regain eligibility and rejoin OSU in the winter. Call it reliable rumors. Based on Carter's other tweets and speculation from other players on the team and so on, I would say he is almost certain to return to the Buckeyes.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:31 am

As for Dunn, I don't think the Wells comparison is a great one. I really think he compares more favorably with Maurice Clarett. Tad slower than Wells, tough as nails, finishes every run and is slightly less of a HR threat. Personally, I prefer the kid to Wells just due to the toughness, we could NOT keep Chris Wells on the field for more than a couple of games in a row.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:53 am

Just a clarification on the Beanie/Mo comparisons (of toughness). Weren't the majority of injuries/nicks with Beanie in his lower extremities while Mo's were in his upper? I seem to remember Mo being banged up from week to week but with shoulder issues, no? My point being if the above is accurate I think it makes a significant difference in staying on the field.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:00 pm

furls wrote:Word on the street is that Wells will regain eligibility and rejoin OSU in the winter. Call it reliable rumors. Based on Carter's other tweets and speculation from other players on the team and so on, I would say he is almost certain to return to the Buckeyes.

It would still be pretty surprising in the end if both ended up buckeyes once again.

Completely and totally unprecedented in the Tress era, maybe he's changing his tune regarding Jr Colleges, or maybe his not-recruiting JUCO players should not be related to this at all....

But in the span of 12 months, we could have 3 JUCO players accept schollies.

I remain skeptical that these guys will stay the course, but we sure could use Carter next year, that's for sure.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:36 pm

JCoz wrote:But in the span of 12 months, we could have 3 JUCO players accept schollies.

This is not the standard JUCO recruit model though. Both Wells and Carter were enrolled at OSU and in the football program straight out of high school. This is a detour for academic "rehab" for two below average students, not a new and troubling shift in recruiting tactics.

danwismar

Unread postby tired » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:55 am

Another comparison of Dunn is Shaun Alexander per Duane Long.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:56 am

wiz1001 wrote:
JCoz wrote:But in the span of 12 months, we could have 3 JUCO players accept schollies.

This is not the standard JUCO recruit model though. Both Wells and Carter were enrolled at OSU and in the football program straight out of high school. This is a detour for academic "rehab" for two below average students, not a new and troubling shift in recruiting tactics.

Yeah, the more I think about this the more I am seeing it as a DIRECT result of Ray Small's tenure here at Ohio State.

I'm seeing the line being drawn in the sand, you can't handle the academic responsibilities? See yah. No more chance after chance after chance.....

Ironically I think he is doing the kids a bigger favor in the long term by doing it in lieu of placating them in the short term.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:32 pm

JCoz wrote:I'm seeing the line being drawn in the sand, you can't handle the academic responsibilities? See yah. No more chance after chance after chance.....

Ironically I think he is doing the kids a bigger favor in the long term by doing it in lieu of placating them in the short term.

It is telling that both Carter and Wells are still Buckeyes at heart despite their personal failings in the classroom. They know who was at fault, and they don't blame anyone else (Tressel or the program or the school) for their failings.

It sounds corny, but Jim Tressel builds men.

danwismar

Return to College Sports Arena