Text Size

College Sports Arena

Awww...Nebraska's 2011 Schedule is Hard

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Awww...Nebraska's 2011 Schedule is Hard

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:59 am

http://es.pn/d1Upqx

Cry me a river. Nebraska has a tough 2011 schedule.

What did they think they were joining....the WAC?

Really no one from Nebraska is bitching, it's ESPN spinning like it's unfair to the new guys....

OMAHA, Neb. -- The Big Ten's welcome gift to Nebraska looks more like a booby prize.

The football schedule for 2011-12, the Cornhuskers' first two seasons in the Big Ten, pits Nebraska against a lineup no sane coach would envy.

The Cornhuskers open the 2011 conference schedule at Wisconsin. They come home to play Ohio State, then it's off to Minnesota and home games against Michigan State and Northwestern.

Here comes the big finish: at Penn State, at Michigan and home against new border rival Iowa.

Conspicuously absent: Indiana, Illinois and Purdue, aka three of the four Big Ten teams that did not make a bowl last season.

That'll be a good intro to the conference. Don't want 'em getting cocky.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Awww...Nebraska's 2011 Schedule is Hard

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:08 am

They'll go from winning the Big 12 to having a 8-4 season in the Big Ten... losses to Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa. Good stuff.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:51 am

All they need to do is look at PSU. Weren't fans pretty sure they were going to own the B10?

Come on Huskers, it's just the weak-ass B10. South Carolina would win this league yearly.

Or so I'm told.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby furls » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:09 am

You know, when I saw that schedule, I said, "Damn, that sucks." OSU's 2011 is no prize either, but Nebraska's is the prize. Luckily for Nebraska they have scUM between PSU and Iowa to get healthy.

Some things to note: 1. scUM is now a bottom feeder in the B10 and likely will be in 2011-12. 2. There are no guarantees that Iowa will continue to be good in 11-12 (it is not likely they are always good). 3. Wiscy is up and down too. 4. PSU will be somewhere between 8-4 and 11-0, you never know what you are going to get.

So while NE's sked looks tough this year, who knows if it will be any good next or the year following the only constants in the B10 are that OSU is elite and scUM sucks (even if they have a decent product on the field).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:05 pm

How about this for a nice sub story segue for the 2011 season, OSU v Nebraska in this season's NCG?

Not a far fetched possibility at all.

Talk about a conversation starter for next September, regardless of who'd win.....
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm sure they'll be fine in the long run. Pelini has them right where they need to be. (Imagine if that idiot Steve Pederson had just kept Pelini as head coach in 2003?)

As always, it's about the players. 4 of Nebraska's 12 opponents in 1995 finished in the Top 10, and they went undefeated and won the national championship. Their slate was less imposing in 2002, and they went 7-7.
"I feel very strongly that the name Whalers is synonymous with Connecticut hockey. The Cleveland Browns should always be the Cleveland Browns."

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Favorite Player: Howard Baldwin
Least Favorite Player: the Prom Queen's ego

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:30 pm

Pelini being a great coach was almost as big a no brainer that Bill Callahan would be a disaster.

And I agree with Don ... can't think of any other team I'd rather see the Bucks face in a potential NC game. Huskers can do it too. Have Texas at home ... toughest road games are at K St, Ok St, and A&M.

How cool would a roadie to Lincoln on Oct 8, 2011 be to see the Buckeyes play in Memorial Stadium be?

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:35 pm

I've got some family out there, so I'm somewhat of a closet Huskers fan. Memorial Stadium is an amazing gameday experience, and for the most part, they're super nice people, even to visiting fans. I highly recommend getting out there at least once if you can.
"I feel very strongly that the name Whalers is synonymous with Connecticut hockey. The Cleveland Browns should always be the Cleveland Browns."

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Favorite Player: Howard Baldwin
Least Favorite Player: the Prom Queen's ego

Unread postby idoctribefan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:56 pm

RIBrownsFan wrote:I've got some family out there, so I'm somewhat of a closet Huskers fan. Memorial Stadium is an amazing gameday experience, and for the most part, they're super nice people, even to visiting fans. I highly recommend getting out there at least once if you can.

My parents live near Lincoln and I've seen 4 games at Memorial Stadium. It is a great experience and the fans overall are respectful to visiting fans. I plan on going out there next year for the OSU/NE game.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Return to College Sports Arena