Text Size

College Sports Arena

Turn Pro Greg

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Turn Pro Greg

Unread postby pup » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:42 am

Yes, a very unpopular opinion. But it did get linked on the Ohio Sports Report, which is great for the site.

Good job, Joel!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby pup » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:19 pm

And by the way, Oden is staying in school. Just a gut feeling. And Durant knows it, that is why he is jumping.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:49 pm

Pup wrote:And by the way, Oden is staying in school. Just a gut feeling. And Durant knows it, that is why he is jumping.

If he stays in school, I'd be VERY surprised.

I just don't see any way he does stay.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:35 am

Honestly, I don't see why Oden would stay. Word is he has an insurance policy and all, but he's got a winning lottery ticket that he can cash in. I understand that he's a smart kid, good student, and word is that he likes the collegiate experience but if he is #1 overall then his first year salary will be $4,662,000 guaranteed. The worst he could do if he's picked fifth (and he shouldn't be worse than #2 - Durant could take the top spot) would be a bit above $3M in the first year.

Any way you slice it, he'll make $15-20M+ over his first for years unless he bombs entirely and his option isn't picked up after year 2. That's not likely. Even so, he'd have around $10M in guaranteed income - that's more than most will ever see in their lifetimes.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:04 am

Consigliere wrote:
Pup wrote:And by the way, Oden is staying in school. Just a gut feeling. And Durant knows it, that is why he is jumping.

If he stays in school, I'd be VERY surprised.

I just don't see any way he does stay.

Cuzz you said he's overated :lol:

You still think Durant is better?
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:05 am

Greg Oden is set for life, either way. If he stays, he is the #1 pick next year. If he goes, he will be 1 or 2 this year. Durant has turned into some kind of super hero, and Oden will be competing with him for the all mighty Nike dollar. If he waits, he nearly locks himself into a #1 pick and that huge endorsement contract.

Plus, these guys love Thad Matta. I think they would have gone to Xavier if he was there instead of OSU.

He talked to the Florida guys during the Final 4 and all of them told him how great the decision to stay was.

There are no negatives to stay, other than waiting 1 year to get paid.

If he leaves, his "normal" life is over, and I think he enjoys that too much.

Like I said, total gut reaction, but I think it has potential.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:24 am

Dozen wrote:Cuzz you said he's overated :lol:

You still think Durant is better?

Oden definitely, as Ronnie Duncan would say, "is all that and a bag of chips" defensively. I still question the offense. I still don't buy the hype completely, but his performance in the final game against FLorida was enough to change some of my stance on him.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:25 am

Pup wrote:Greg Oden is set for life, either way. If he stays, he is the #1 pick next year. If he goes, he will be 1 or 2 this year. Durant has turned into some kind of super hero, and Oden will be competing with him for the all mighty Nike dollar. If he waits, he nearly locks himself into a #1 pick and that huge endorsement contract.

So, if he goes out in fall practice, tears an ACL, he is still set?
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:27 am

So, if he goes out in fall practice, tears an ACL, he is still set

Um, yes.

Name me the last basketball player to have their career ended by a major injury that occured on the court.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:14 am

Pup wrote:
So, if he goes out in fall practice, tears an ACL, he is still set

Um, yes.

Name me the last basketball player to have their career ended by a major injury that occured on the court.

While I agree with much of what you say on this topic Pup, the fact of the matter in there is some element of danger in staying. It is very true that PROBABLY nothing happens. But the fact of the matter is we really don't know what's in these guys minds and the choices they will make at this age. People would have understood a poor Len Bias accepting money, they couldn't understand an overdose. Nobody worried about williams motorcycle skills until..... Brian Taylor getting into a fight on a college campus.. I know these are extremes, but goofy stuff can happen. The whole insurance issue. The guy is going to get his number one contract, his 70 million from Nike. I'd love to see how long one of those policy disputes with aspiring pro athletes would be in the court system.

I would currently be sitting in a bubble waiting for my name to be called.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:40 am

But the fact of the matter is we really don't know what's in these guys minds and the choices they will make at this age

I am saying it is just a gut instinct. Just a wild assed guess. I do think there is a greater chance he stays than most.

He could go today and be the best center in the NBA within 3 years. Or you he could stay another year and be the best center in the NBA in...3 years.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby sandlot33 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:25 pm

Pup wrote: Name me the last basketball player to have their career ended by a major injury that occured on the court.

Kenyon Martin tore his acl or broke his leg or something and has turned into a turd...the guy cannot stay healthy
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:19 pm

Kenyon Martin tore his acl or broke his leg or something and has turned into a turd...the guy cannot stay healthy

K-Mart recovered from his intitial injury at Cinci to become a pretty good NBA player. Then he got paid, injured again, and has not recovered. Could be that he ia a lazy thug POS.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby dpdad » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:29 am

Ohio State star Greg Oden will enter the NBA draft, his father told The Indianapolis Star in a story on its Web site Friday night.

No surprise here. I'd be telling my kid to turn pro, too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=AiUS6B.gBd982lxi64Yar6A5nYcB?slug=ap-oden-nbadraft&prov=ap&type=lgns
dpdad

Unread postby swerb » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:32 am

Dammit.

Expect Conley to declare today as well.

They're both gone ... maybe Cook too.

Well, it was fun for a year. Almost seems unfair. Im going to miss watching those two play.

Let the Diebler/Koufos/Lauderdale era begin.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:41 am

Yep, no surprise. He was a lock to enter the draft after this season even before he donned the Bucks uni for his first game.

Also, looks like Conley and Cook are gone. Cook leaving early would be assinine.
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:43 am

Cook will be a first round pick, which at least financially, doesn't make the decision assinine.

He'll be out of his rookie deal at age 22, and lined up for a big payday somewhere in his 2nd NBA contract.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:52 am

Swerb wrote:Cook will be a first round pick, which at least financially, doesn't make the decision assinine.

He'll be out of his rookie deal at age 22, and lined up for a big payday somewhere in his 2nd NBA contract.

I'm going to disagree here Rich.

Sure, Cook may be a 1st round talent....but man, this draft is LOADED to where he could be pushed to the second round.

Even if he is a 1st rounder, he is going to be a 14th/15th guy in the NBDL for two years or so. And, he seriously runs the risk of falling into the shadows as a result, which could ruin his career.

Dude needs to come back for one more year, be THE MAN and develop his game at the same time, and then he'll be a Top 10 pick in a much-less deep 2008 Draft. He'll be a ton more polished, won't necessarily be stuffed in the NBDL, and could likely contribute with an NBA team off the bench in some role as soon as he signs.
consigliere

Unread postby Guest » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:30 am

CBS is reporting that Oden's father said he is going pro.

Unread postby Guest » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:31 am

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Ch 3 reported Oden's Momma said not so fast, although IMO he declares.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:28 am

A young athlete that seems to have his head on his shoulders, not an air of thuggishness we commonly see, stays out of trouble, handles himself well, polite.

Mother AND Father.

What a coincidence.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:30 am

Too bad mother and father have different agendas.

Dad wants him to go.
Mom wants him to stay.
Conley Sr and Thad to have their final shots today and tomorrow,

ONE MORE YEAR! ONE MORE YEAR!

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Guest » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:33 am

Conley Sr is going to be his agent
That tells me both stay or both go

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:19 am

Isn't it potentially troublesome for Oden to be friends with Conley and his "agent" father? Every time he went to Conley's house it could potentially be contact with an agent.

I just wish Greg would announce and end the drama (one way or another). My gut feeling is that both go. Cook should stay, he still has gaping holes in his game that one or two more years would help fix. Heck, he did not even start this year.

Bigger question, what happens to Ron Lewis?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Guest » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:23 am

Conley Sr is even saying that hopefully he chooses him as his agent.
It all just seems shady.
I think he's as good as gone, along with Conley Jr.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:38 am

Ron Lewis is a senior ... most mocks have him projected as a mid 2nd round pick.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:42 am

Doomed to the NBDL or Europe? WIll he make a roster?

I like him, think he is a good player, but I am not sure that he has the shot that he needs at 6'5" to really contribute in the NBA. I hope so, he is a nice kid. I have met him a couple of times and I wish him nothing but the best of luck.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Lebowski » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:24 am

Kinda weird that there's been nothing official and no word from Oden himself yet.

As an aside, having Conely Sr. as his agent seems pretty stupid. Oden is going to have all kind of endorsement deals and the like thrown his way, and a a guy who got licensed only months ago is going to work through all that legal work? Hopefully they hire some good marketing/public image people for Greg.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:22 am

I think it is actually a very good idea. Conley Sr. and Oden have known each other for a very long time. While he is going to be "green" in dealing with the nuances of NBA contracts and endorsements, he is not going to be altogher unfamiliar with the life of an athlete. I would much rather have an agent that I trust and know than one that is "a top echelon" money whore.

Conley Sr. will clearly have the interests of his son and Oden close, and for reasons beyond $$ and there is a lot of value in that. Particularly when you compare this to some of the unethical behavior of these great, experienced management groups.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:21 pm

FWIW, I've read accounts that have said that not only is Conley Sr one of the all time good guys, who thinks of Oden as another son ... but that he is also well respected within pro and college basketball circles.

He's still awaiting approval from the NBA to represent these two, but it's said to be a slam dunk.

Not a bad first two clients to start with.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:23 pm

ESPN just reports, it is official: Oden to the NBA.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to College Sports Arena