Text Size

College Sports Arena

My Top 25

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

My Top 25

Unread postby Loo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Why not.

Coming into 2010 I almost never picked a repeat champion in any sport at any level. I just never trust a defending champion to put up the same production. That was until the Yankees added Granderson and Vaz, and this list came out.

1. Alabama--Hard not to pick them tops in the nation. Way too many guys coming back. Even if they had lost against Texas, they'd still be my number one.
2. Ohio State--Almost the entire offense--Pryor, Saine, Herron, Posey, Sanz and most of the line is back and improving. Pryor was especially fantastic in the Rose Bowl. Heyward, Homan, Rolle and Chekwa are all back, and the defensive line looks to be as strong or stronger even with losing Gibson.
3. Oklahoma--Bradford and Gresham basically didn't play, so why people cite them as big losses for Stoops is questioning. They are also a good bet to improve almost across the board, and they do have playmakers on both sides of the ball.
4. Nebraska--Suh is gone, in comes Crick to stabilize the line. Lee and Helu will carry the offense.
5. Iowa--QB Ricky Stanzi is back, and Iowa has the most underrated defense in the country. Clayborn might just be the best defensive player in football.
6. Texas--Gilbert was fantastic in the title game, and will be better if they can run the ball.
7. Oregon--Masoli is gone, but Nate Costa was set to start in 2008 before going down with an injury.
8. Miami--Jacoby Harris is very good, and they're improving across the board on offense
9. USC--Talent is there, but I just don't think Lane Kiffin can cut it.
10. Florida--Again, all that talent is there, but they just lost too much.
11. Virginia Tech--Ryan Miller should only get batter.
12. Boise State--Boise State is returning most of it's starters--whoopy. It's still Boise State. They still play an easy non-conference schedule and then play in one of the easiest conferences in the country. Whoopy. They beat TCU in a bowl game? Whoopy. Almost everyone has them in the top 5--that's a joke. They play a very good V-Tech team week one, but that V Tech team lost 11 starters and may have trouble in their first couple games. So even if Boise wins, whoopy. I almost hope Boise wins, goes undefeated and plays Alabama, Ohio State or Oklahoma in the title game. It'll be fun to see fans leaving the stadium after the first quarter.
13. Florida State--Christian Ponder should only get better.
14. Wisconsin--One of the most potent offenses in the Big Ten, and the whole line is returning as a unit with Clay and Tolzien.
15. Arkansas--Michigan football has done two things right in the last couple years. 1. Justin Boren--Whoops, he's with Ohio State, and got run out by Rich Rod. 2. Ryan Mallett--Whoops, he's with Arkansas, and got run out by Rich Rod. Mallett has 4 solid options at WR, but the defense isn't too strong.
16. Georgia--Boringly good team, although A.J. Green is a stud.
17. Pittsburgh--Playmakers all over the offense.
18. North Carolina--Maybe the best defense in the country, and has 18 returning starters
19. TCU--The second best mid-major in the country--whoopy. They play Oregon State in the opener, which will tell a lot. Again--I almost hope they also win, and go to a BCS bowl, and get crushed by Iowa or Nebraska or someone.
20. Penn State--Clark is gone, but Royster is back. They'll always have great LBs.
21. Connecticut--16 starters and they play in the Big East, which may be the 6th best conference in the country
22. Missouri--High octane offense, little defense.
23. Auburn--33 points a game isn't bad, if JC transfer Newman can produce.
24. LSU--Underrated talent at WR
25. South Carolina--Underrated, fast defense.

For the record I had WVU, Michigan State, Clemson and ND just outside the top 25.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Re: My Top 25

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:13 pm

I think you're selling Boise St. short. They're a damn good football team, their non confrence schedule isn't great, Va Tech should be a great game, but I think that's due to the fact no one wants to play them. But yeah their confrence does suck pretty bad.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:01 am

Texas is ranked way too low. :hic:
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby furls » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:15 am

Ohio State, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Miami and Iowa are overrated. Texas, BSU, Wisconsin and Florida are underrated.

Man that Rose Bowl has pretty much everyone drinking the Kool-Aid, but lets remember that Oregon's defense was just not that good.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena