Text Size

College Sports Arena

Phil Steele's Preseason All Big Ten team

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Phil Steele's Preseason All Big Ten team

Unread postby danwismar » Thu May 27, 2010 12:08 pm

http://bit.ly/b0kQZZ

Lots of Buckeye love from Steele:

First team (9)

Pryor, Posey, Brewster, Boren, Heyward, Chekwa, Homan, Rolle, Hines.

Second team (3)

Saine, Browning, Adams

Third Team (3)

Williams, Sabino, Torrence

Fourth Team (2)

Sanzenbacher, Shugarts

Down side?.....zero special-teamers on the four teams worth of players.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Phil Steele's Preseason All Big Ten team

Unread postby JCoz » Thu May 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Sanz on the fourth team and Hines on the first team?

Right...

I can't even imagine what the hell he's thinking regarding Shugarts,you know, someone whose actually had some success at the college level on 4th team, vs Adams at 2nd team.

I'm rooting for the kid, but anyone predicting that he is going to go from not being able to beat out a converted TE or Jim Cordle playing WAY out of position, to being 2nd team All Big Ten has thier head in the clouds IMO.

Not saying it isn't possible, but it sure as shit isn't likely. I love following recruiting every year, but after they get to campus those stars given by recruiting guru's are left at the door.

Big Mike is a Junior. Time to shit or get off the pot. As of right now he is no better than Miller or even Cordle as an LT. Because he simply has not played better than them. At any point.

For those that loved to bash Boone (and I am not his biggest fan), this kid hasn't been 1/4 of the player Boone was.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby danwismar » Thu May 27, 2010 2:51 pm

No argument here, Coz. The Adams pick must be based on his (long-awaited)potential...plus maybe the fact that he did have a very good spring ball "season", by the consensus of most people watching, clearly winning the LT job with his play. Remember he was starting last year (not Game One, but by mid-season) till he got hurt and was replaced at LT by Cordle.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Thu May 27, 2010 3:07 pm

For the record (I had to check) Miller started the first three games at LT in 2009, Adams the next four, and (after Adams got hurt) Cordle the last six.

danwismar

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 27, 2010 3:11 pm

Chekwa got exposed toward the end of last year. I really hope he has a bounceback year.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby danwismar » Thu May 27, 2010 3:16 pm

I also thought it was notable that there is exactly one Michigan Wolverine on the first two teams of offensive and defensive players (Stephen Schilling, an OG) as projected by Steele...that versus 12 Buckeyes. I cannot recall a time (and as I like to remind people, I'm old...which cuts both ways...lots of years in the sample size...fading memory capacity) when the talent differential between the two teams was this great.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Thu May 27, 2010 6:03 pm

scUM is an absolute disaster right now and there is NO improvement in sight. Forcier is probably going to lose his job to Denard Robinson and the rest of the roster is crap. The defense is actually going to be worse than last year's; if you can believe that. scUM will be lucky to win 4-5 games in DickRod's swansong.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu May 27, 2010 9:18 pm

What exactly is the point of preseason rankings/ABTT?

Shouldn't we wait to see them actually play the game?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby danwismar » Fri May 28, 2010 12:41 am

Good to see you back in here, Furls. That is all.

danwismar

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 28, 2010 5:18 am

wiz1001 wrote:Good to see you back in here, Furls. That is all.

:thumb up:
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Sat May 29, 2010 9:16 am

Hey, I am back alive. I just submitted an article a couple of days ago (still working through the new format). Got some more stuff coming; interviews with David Durham, & Michael Bennett + Ron Ullery (coach at Centerville).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena