Text Size

College Sports Arena

Conley staying?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Conley staying?

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:15 am

Sure sounds like it....

http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cf ... 1848&rfi=6

Conley will put the heat on Oden
By: Jason Lloyd, Journal Register News Service
04/04/2007

Freshman point guard will attempt to persuade OSU center to remain in school

ATLANTA - If there is a bright spot to Ohio State's 84-75 loss to Florida in the national championship game, it's that Monday night might have proven to be a big push to bring Greg Oden back to Columbus for another year.

Maybe.

Childhood friend Mike Conley Jr. said afterward that Oden really wanted a national championship before he left college. After one year, he doesn't have one.

"He wanted to put this on his résumé, and we fell short," Conley said. "This will maybe be a key factor in making him come back."
Oden has ignored the questions all season, particularly over the last two weeks, as the scrutiny around his decision intensified. Now he can't ignore it any longer. Oden must decide if he will return to Ohio State for another season or if he's headed to the NBA.

If Conley has his way, he'll make sure Oden's decision is difficult.

"I'll talk to him and do all I can to get him to come back or change his mind if he's already made it up," Conley said. "I want to play with him. I haven't played without him in a while. I don't know if he wants to lose that."

Oden wouldn't discuss his future Monday night, answering all questions about the NBA with "next question" or "please don't ask me about that." Back in Columbus on Tuesday, he didn't give much more insight.
"I'm not going to think about it just yet," he said.

Oden will have just over three weeks to decide his fate. The deadline to apply for the NBA draft is April 29.

Conley and Coach Thad Matta both insist they haven't had any discussions with Oden about his future. The goal since the team gathered in the fall was to win a national championship.

The Buckeyes obviously fell just short of that with Monday's loss to Florida. Now Matta will sit down with Oden and have that conversation he's probably been dreading.

"I think Gregory and I will sit down when we get back and kind of talk," Matta said. "Honestly, I couldn't even give you a percentage right now, because we've never discussed it."

Various former players and coaches have weighed in on the Oden situation during this NCAA tournament run. Most believe he should return for another year, which is in direct contrast to the public opinion's assumption of his ultimate fate.

If he left for the NBA, Oden likely would be the first pick in the draft and immediately receive millions with his contract and endorsements. If he returned to Ohio State, Oden would be the early favorite for player of the year. He could also improve his offensive skills, develop a consistent move on the post and have a full year of health after he battled offseason wrist surgery all season.

Should Oden return, the Buckeyes likely would be the preseason No. 1 team. Pairing the 7-foot Oden with 7-2 recruit Kostas Koufos could prove devastating to opponents. But now it becomes a waiting game.

"I'm hoping he comes back," Conley said. "That's my thing. I'm hoping it happens."
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:17 am

I will believe it on April 30
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:54 am

I think there's a better chance than most think that Oden will come back. And if Oden comes back, Conley will for sure.

Remember, both of these guys are going to be represented by Conley's dad ... who from all accounts, is a very solid character guy.

Conley's dad is still awaiting approval from the NBA to represent players. Speculation is that it's a no brainer, and that the "application may be moved to the top of the stack" in order to not offer up any roadblocks to Oden leaving, and entering the NBA, where he will sell jerseys and boost ratings immediately.

From everything I've read on the matter though, Oden is constantly described as very shy. Still very immature from a handling and dealing with the media standpoint. A good student, who genuinely likes school. Introverted. Beloved in Columbus, but uncomfortable out of that setting.

And determined to win a title for OSU, and disappointed that they couldn't get it done this year.

I'd put the chances of Oden staying right now at about 40%, and most will laugh at that #, saying its too high.

Conley ... listen, this kid is a top 10-12 pick, right now. No doubt about it. Maybe higher.

I don't even think he knows that yet, as his stock has risen so fast and so suddenly. If Oden leaves, once Conley sits down and sees the $$$ on the table for him, it's going to be tough to pass on.

So many times we've seen guys say they're coming back for sure, only for them to change their minds once the numbers are before them on paper.

I really, really hope these two come back though. At least Conley. I had so much fun watching this team this season.

When the horn ended Mon night, it was a range of emotions. Happy for the season. Upset they lost. But more than anything, upset that there was no more Buckeye basketball to watch.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:37 am

You know.....the only team who could keep OSU from a national championship in basketball was Florida this year. I believe had those three not decided to return (Horford, Brewer, and Noah), that OSU would have hoisted the championship trophy this year. I hope we get the same luck as FLorida did!

Speaking of which...does this qualify as TCE? I mean, those three would have been first rounders last year in a MUCH weaker draft than this year. Coming back did NOTHING to improve their draft stock if you ask me, and that is mostly because of how freaking loaded this draft might very well be. Only in Cleveland sports lore would three guys risk millions upon million of dollars to come back and win another title.....especially in a sport where players jump to the pros in the blink of an eye.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:30 am

Connely could be a #1-4 pick in 09.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to College Sports Arena