Text Size

College Sports Arena

Houston Bellaire's Sebastian Douglas commits to CSU

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Houston Bellaire's Sebastian Douglas commits to CSU

Unread postby tommieskoski » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:24 pm

This article from Rivals.com was posted on Let's Go Vikes!

Bellaire High School's Sebastian Douglas has a theory. If every college prospect was treated the way Cleveland State treated the Houston-area standout, the recruiting process would never have the occasional horror story.

Cleveland State made every necessary - and unnecessary - attempt to show it was serious about Douglas wearing the forest green and white next season. After all the pitching and wooing, Douglas decided to verbally commit to play for the Vikings, who play in the Horizon League.

"They came down here and met my parents at church," Douglas said. "They told me about their program and what things would look like as far as education goes. I want to major in business, and they already had my major set up.

"I was feeling the program and the location after that. Even if I don't play basketball, I'm going to have something to fall back on."

Douglas said he officially committed about a week ago. All verbal commitments are nonbinding, and Douglas won't be eligible to sign a national letter of intent until the beginning of the NCAA early signing period, which is April 14. Douglas chose Cleveland State over Western Kentucky, Texas A&M, Wichita State, Houston and The Citadel.

Douglas, a 6-foot-3, 195-pound senior point guard originally from Brooklyn, N.Y., adds to the list of Bellaire players who either have signed or have committed to play Division I basketball. Jamel Outler (Texas Tech), Kene Anyigbo (Western Kentucky) and Tobi Oyedeji (Texas A&M) all have signed, and junior Sheldon McClellan has committed to Texas.

"It's a good deal for him. The selling point for him was that he felt he could trust them," Bellaire coach Bruce Glover said. "Cleveland State is a good school, and Sebastian's a hard worker. He'll step right in and play. He pushes the ball. Three or four dribbles, and he's at the rack. He plays defense just as hard as he pushes the ball."

Douglas is a true point guard, possessing a pass-first, shoot-second mentality. Douglas averaged roughly 14 points and six assists in his first season playing for the Cardinals. He moved to Bellaire after playing at DeKaney High in Spring.

Douglas is excited about playing for a Cleveland State team that quietly has become one of the most respected teams of the year. Cleveland State is the last team to beat Butler, an NCAA Final Four team that has won 24 straight games and is favored to beat Michigan State in Saturday's national semifinal.

Glover said Douglas is a better person than he is a basketball player. He's a decent student and a team leader off the court. Glover feels a quality individual deserves to sign with a quality program.

"We played in the playoffs against [Alief] Elsik, and an assistant coach was at the Campbell Center. He drove back to Bellaire after, didn't say one word to Sebastian at the game, but drove back," Glover said. "We'd never had a coach do that, and he never harassed him after the game. That's the kind of commitment they had for him."

Douglas added: "Their integrity, that was a major thing. The funny thing about it, I didn't know much about Cleveland State until later in the season. I'm really excited about playing for them now."
tommieskoski

Re: Houston Bellaire's Sebastian Douglas commits to CSU

Unread postby tommieskoski » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Cleveland State is also expected to sign a wing forward to backup D'Aundray Brown during the late signing period (April 14-May 19).
tommieskoski

Re: Houston Bellaire's Sebastian Douglas commits to CSU

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:35 am

Tom, I appreciate the updates on the Vikings on here. Thanks
WarAdmiral

Return to College Sports Arena