Text Size

College Sports Arena

Odds Billy goes to KY?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Odds Billy goes to KY?

Unread postby furls » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:26 pm

I am saying he goes, along with his players tonight and goes to the better program while he has a chance.

It will be interesting what this will say about college jobs now. Granted KY has the history, but it is all old history now. THere will be lots of cash at both places, will he stay or will he take the prestige job or will he make his own?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:48 pm

By refusing to rule out UK, he's doing nothing but putting a gun to his AD's head for a huge (and well deserved) raise IMO.

It's the right play, regardless of your intentions.

I say he stays.

Hes one hell of a fuckin coach though. NBAs comin callin too.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:11 pm

I'll tell ya what though, I wasn't too impressed with his pre game locker room speech.

And his willingness to let CBS cameras in there was suprising too. Hes working that UK angle HARD.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:33 pm

I can't see him stayig at Florida. He is in for one heck of a rebuilding effort.....although in college BB these days since freshman play often they may be in for only one down year. 5 of those guys could be drafted in June. Amazing.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:44 am

I see him staying. Jeremy Foley has said that Florida will match any offer thrown at Donovan. His wife's family just moved to the Gainesville area after years of working to that AND there's less pressure at UF. Tubby Smith averaged something like 26 wins per season at Kentucky and was pretty much run out of town by the fans. Florida is and always will be a football school. The whole state is that way; basketball is actually often fourth to hockey in this state. That could drive him nuts, but he's loved in Gainesville and won't be lambasted so hard during a down year.

There's always the possibility but I think he'll use the UK job offer as leverage to get a much higher pay day from UF and stay in Gainesville. He'll eventually have his name grace the court at the O'Connell Center. Hell, he might eventually have the facility or another future one named after him. He built UF basketball into a powerhouse. At UK he'd be just another name. Can you ever equal Rupp? He may end up being Florida's Rupp. If he stays, rebuilds, and wins one or more titles at Florida in the future then he will be the top dog in Florida's basketball legendarium. I wouldn't want to leave that behind.

I think UK will end up having to settle. Donovan and Matta are likely their top two targets and I highly doubt either would go. Pitino won't come back. I think UK fans will end up being disappointed.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:17 am

Sooner, quicker than later, the NBA is going to come a callin' with the big cash. Than he'll have a decision.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:29 am

Lead Pipe wrote:Sooner, quicker than later, the NBA is going to come a callin' with the big cash. Than he'll have a decision.

I think that's where he'll eventually end up, but I could see him sticking around UF for a few more years. The guy is in his early 40s now and has been on the job for ten years. I think he'll work to rebuild for a few years, maybe put another title run together, and then cash in on the mega bucks at the NBA level.

A jaunt at the NBA level won't ruin his image at UF whereas moving to another SEC school could hurt his long term legacy in Gainesville.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Guest » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:24 am

The Heat will be an option for him.
I think that's where he'll end up.

Unread postby swerb » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:49 am

Dicky V reported yesterday that he has a source that says the Grizzlies are going to back up the Brinks Truck for him.
Last edited by swerb on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jdrake10 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:46 am

A good coach at any level knows when it is time to leave. Donavan to Kentucky makes sense right now. If he doesn't go now, he will never go.
jdrake10

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:40 pm

Report says he isn't leaving. It is on Foxsports.com. Too lazy and hate FLorida to care enough to include a link.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:14 pm

ESPNews reported him staying as well. Noah, Horford, Brewer, and Green also headed for the NBA, too frickin' bad.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:13 pm

mswerb wrote:ESPNews reported him staying as well. Noah, Horford, Brewer, and Green also headed for the NBA, too frickin' bad.

UF is already reloading. They still should be quite good next year and they've got some good potential recruits on tap this year. Donovan can get the best of the best at UF.

The University of Florida has become a real powerhouse in two big sports that a lot of people in this country follow.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Return to College Sports Arena