Text Size

College Sports Arena

Urban Meyer Threatens Reporter Over Tebow Quotes

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Urban Meyer Threatens Reporter Over Tebow Quotes

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:12 pm

The Gator coach had words — and almost more — with an Orlando Sentinel reporter over what he thought was unfair treatment of Tim Tebow. For a man with stress-related health problems, this was not a good moment for Meyer.

Jeremy Fowler wrote this column Monday, in which he spoke to WR Deonte Thompson about starting the season with a new quarterback.

Thompson said, and we (and Fowler) quote:

You never know with Tim. You can bolt, you think he's running but he'll come up and pass it to you. You just have to be ready at all times. With Brantley, everything's with rhythm, time. You know what I mean, a real quarterback."

Fowler then used actual, objective statistics to show that Thompson hadn't gotten the ball much under Tebow.

Apparently Meyer considers facts and quotes a reporter taking an unfair swipe at Tebow. He got in Fowler's face at practice today, telling him "If that was my son, we'd be going at it right now."

You'll be out of practice - you understand that? - if you do that again," said Meyer, while a couple of spectators still sat in the stands. "I told you five years ago: Don't mess with our players. Don't do it. You did it. You do it one more time and the Orlando Sentinel's not welcome here ever again. Is that clear? It's yes or no." (finger pointing toward the face)

"Urban, come on. Don't make any threats," I said. "That's fine. I'll play by rules. But all I was doing is quoting the guy. I don't think I was the only one."

"You're a bad guy, man," Meyer said. "You're a bad guy."

After practice, Meyer left through the back exit, avoiding the media. The coach/reporter relationship is a symbiotic one. And today, Meyer savaged a reporter for doing his job, while he failed to do his own.

http://deadspin.com/5501591/video-urban ... e=true&s=i
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Urban Meyer Threatens Reporter Over Tebow Quotes

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:17 pm

Jeez H, Urbie needs a few #'s from Tigger's black book
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:16 pm

He's an asshole, he always was an asshole. and he'll probably always be an asshole. But that asshole sure can coach. He act's like Tebow is his friggin wife or something. Relax Urb, Timmy isn't the messiah, he can't walk on water or turn water into wine. And how can a guy with "heart problems" get this worked up over a article?

What a fuckin cry baby drama queen.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:He's an asshole, he always was an asshole. and he'll probably always be an asshole. But that asshole sure can coach. He act's like Tebow is his friggin wife or something. Relax Urb, Timmy isn't the messiah, he can't walk on water or turn water into wine. And how can a guy with "heart problems" get this worked up over a article?

Well now you're just assuming things.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Aahahahaahhaaha! What a fake tough guy. Better worry about that "heart condition", Urby.

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby DrPoove » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:45 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:He's an asshole, he always was an asshole. and he'll probably always be an asshole. But that asshole sure can coach. He act's like Tebow is his friggin wife or something. Relax Urb, Timmy isn't the messiah, he can't walk on water or turn water into wine. And how can a guy with "heart problems" get this worked up over a article?

Great coach. Douche bag as a person.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:08 pm

DrPoove wrote:

Great coach. Douche bag as a person.

Exactly.

I sort of chuckle at those that insist that he's a good guy because he does all this charity work and such, and yet someone like Tressel who's quietly done a lot around the columbus community and all around the state of ohio is just shrugged off often times by the media.

and I agree he's a good coach, he's found a formula that has worked for him, just hoping soon that someone (hopefully from the Big Ten) cracks it and he's bumped back down a few notches.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:36 pm

No way would this go ever go so far over the top he would tell his team he has to retire because his love of the game makes it to hard to calm himself done and it is going to kill him, just to keep them from taking a cakewalk game lightly. No way. :lmfao:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:59 am

I saw his blowup but hadn't seen the quotes until this thread. I had assumed Urban was complaining about the reporter making the WR look bad for talking about Tebow negatively. How can you complain about a Heisman trophy winner and one of the winningest QB in college history.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:45 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Relax Urb, Timmy isn't the messiah, he can't walk on water or turn water into wine

You're clearly mistaken

:dingle:
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby jordan kramer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:52 pm

what an absolute douchebag. i wish the reporter woulda decked him in the face, then did the gator chomp over his unconscious body
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby jesselamovsky » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:24 pm

No problem with it. He was protecting his player.
jesselamovsky

Unread postby waborat » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:00 pm

jesselamovsky wrote:No problem with it. He was protecting his player.

You protect with a gun, knife or your fists...

Not your mouth...

Urban needs his grape smashed
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:00 pm

jesselamovsky wrote:No problem with it. He was protecting his player.

Wut?

He wasn't protecting shit. Instead of acting like an adult, he decided to stomp over there and make chickenshit threats to a reporter who quoted Thompson accurately. It's not like the reporter wrote a bunch of untruths slamming Tebow. He's a coward, he has to threaten to throw the Orlando Sentinel out of his practices because the dude asked a UF player about Tebow. A common low rent controll freak bully who can't stand the fact someone would say something critical of Jesus Tebow, instead of Thompson (who is right BTW), he directs his bullshit at a guy who just asked a question about the difference between Tebow and Brantley.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Return to College Sports Arena