Text Size

College Sports Arena

This is the greatest event in all sports - let's change it!

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

This is the greatest event in all sports - let's change it!

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:07 pm

For the life of me I can't understand why (other than the obvious $$$ reasons) the NCAA would even consider f**king with the greatest sporting event ever by expanding the field by 50%.

The obvious effects would be to dilute the quality of the play...make conference tournaments virtually meaningless...reward sub-500 teams and coaches...what else?

But the even more obvious argument against expanding the field is....IT'S TREMENDOUS JUST AS IT IS!!!!!

It ain't broke, you idiots! So stop trying to fix it!

Discuss.....and please...someone...tell me what the upside is.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: This is the greatest event in all sports - let's change it!

Unread postby jordan kramer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:20 pm

i can't tell u the upside i completely agree. i been screaming this for as long as they been talking about expansion. 64 is perfect, u get good bubble teams, enough potential cinderellas, great matchups in the first round, and the best couple weekends in all of sports. bar none. yet the coaches and big wigs see a few extra potential dollars out there they don't have their hands on and they're willing to screw up the best thing going for their sport to grab the cash. like wiz said, someone explain to me why diluting the field with 32 more sub .500, mediocre, major conference teams is better for the tournament?
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:24 pm

I can swing the Thursday/Friday off of work in most years and that's where the momentum is built for the rest of the tourney. But my eyes were glossed over on Sunday night. If they water it down more I think it spreads out the tourney too thin. The four or five days between Selections and Tip on Thursday is necessary IMO to build the excitement.

Leave it alone. Please.

Not to mention I need every minute available to organize pools as it is.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:27 pm

There is no upside, unless you want more high-major teams with 7-9 & 6-10 conference records to get invited. Frankly, there are too many of those teams as it is. I thought Georgia Tech was absolute garbage, they shouldn't have been anywhere near the Tournament. With 96 teams you get two, three, many Georgia Techs.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:32 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:There is no upside, unless you want more high-major teams with 7-9 & 6-10 conference records to get invited. Frankly, there are too many of those teams as it is. I thought Georgia Tech was absolute garbage, they shouldn't have been anywhere near the Tournament. With 96 teams you get two, three, many Georgia Techs.

Yep. I pretty much agree with everything said here.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:34 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:There is no upside, unless you want more high-major teams with 7-9 & 6-10 conference records to get invited. Frankly, there are too many of those teams as it is. I thought Georgia Tech was absolute garbage, they shouldn't have been anywhere near the Tournament. With 96 teams you get two, three, many Georgia Techs.

Paul Hewitt may as well be Art Shell on the sidelines. All that talent and not a clue how to coach it or harness it. Same blank expression too.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Yes, it's about the money, always is...

Is it a good idea? I'll say sure only because I'm selfish & love watching this craziness every year...

Ya gotta remember that even with 65 teams in the tourney, NCAA basketball still puts less percentage wise into the post-season than any other major sport...

I love watching the NIT games as well, so why not stick em all together?

Seeds #1-8 in each region would remain the same. The added teams would play the current bottom 33...After the bye, the #1 seed would still play the winner of #16/17...

We say we want THE best 64 every year??? Well, guess what, the bottom 3-4 schools in every region are not the best 64...They're all schools who get praised for winning their tiny conferences whether they have a winning record or not?

Think about it, you would now have the winner of the Big Sky as a #22 or 23 seed playing an above average BCS school at a #10 or 11 seed...The Big Sky school would actually have a better match up and a much better chance to win and move on...If not, then we probably get an even better matchup in round 2 to watch...

Wouldn't you have rather watched the '08 Buckeyes in the tourney then Austin Peay?

My problem isn't them raising it to 96 teams, it's how will I fit my brackets on an 8x11 piece of paper?
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:53 pm

waborat wrote:My problem isn't them raising it to 96 teams, it's how will I fit my brackets on an 8x11 piece of paper?

Print at 50% and get someone younger than you to read it.

Duh. :salute:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:55 pm

96 teams?

The regular season has already been marginalized by Confrence Tournaments. a 96 team field will make them mean nothing. It'll be one big long preseason. It would so much fun to see a bunch of .500 teams getting the chance to ruin a good team's season.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
It'll be one big long preseason. It would so much fun to see a bunch of .500 teams getting the chance to ruin a good team's season.

Unlike the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, Nascar, etc who already do it?

And quit hatin' on those con-tourneys, it's because of them that the Bobcats beat GTown and gave the Bucks an easier road to Indy ;-) ;) :wink:
waborat

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:14 pm

waborat wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
It'll be one big long preseason. It would so much fun to see a bunch of .500 teams getting the chance to ruin a good team's season.

And quit hatin' on those con-tourneys, it's because of them that the Bobcats beat GTown and gave the Bucks an easier road to Indy ;-) ;) :wink:

90% of the time the teams in those leagues don't have their seasons ruined by one .500 team. (Yes I remember DA at Cincy in 2007).

I'll quit hating on confrence tourneys when they quit allowing crap into the NCAA Tournament. I'd argue that Ohio shouldn't have even been in position to play GT. 7-9 in the MAC is a joke.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:33 pm

I wonder what the message board fury was like when they went from 32 ---> 64?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Cease » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Pup wrote:I wonder what the message board fury was like when they went from 32 ---> 64?

Between the tourney and Coke releasing "New Coke," there were some epic melts on this board (I won't name names, but you know who you are ;-) ;) :wink: )! Those were the days the internet was great. Now it just sucks.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Cease wrote:
Pup wrote:I wonder what the message board fury was like when they went from 32 ---> 64?

Between the tourney and Coke releasing "New Coke," there were some epic melts on this board (I won't name names, but you know who you are ;-) ;) :wink: )! Those were the days the internet was great. Now it just sucks.

My bet is FUDU went ape shit over both. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby BruceK » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:41 pm

Well, since they went to 64 teams in 1985 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Championship)
I'm pretty sure the epic meltdown was mitigated by the fact that people were on 300 baud dial-up modems.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:17 pm

Cease wrote:

My turn...

I'll guess Ron Washington?
waborat

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:21 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
waborat wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

90% of the time the teams in those leagues don't have their seasons ruined by one .500 team. (Yes I remember DA at Cincy in 2007).

I'll quit hating on confrence tourneys when they quit allowing crap into the NCAA Tournament. I'd argue that Ohio shouldn't have even been in position to play GT. 7-9 in the MAC is a joke.

Sorry CDT, misunderstood your post....

Thought you were saying that the post-season would be brought down with .500 teams? Which it could still...

You meant the con-tourney's, which would mean that most of time you'd get the tourney winner & the regular season winner infrom the mid's...

See? It flawless :clap:
waborat

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:31 pm

waborat wrote:
Cease wrote:

My turn...

I'll guess Ron Washington?

Dingle Stetson
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:55 pm

The big difference between expansion then (to 32 teams in 1975, to 40 in '79, to 48 in '80, to 64 in '85) is that a lot of the smaller leagues didn't have automatic bids. Tournament expansion opened the door to a lot of major also-rans, the Georgia Techs and Oklahoma States- but it also opened the door to conferences like the SWAC and the AMCU-8.

Nowadays every conference- except for the Great West- already has an automatic bid. There is no conceivable way the Tournament would be expanded to accomodate more teams from, say, the MAC or Horizon Leagues. This is all about cramming more mediocre majors into March.

The expansions of the late '70s and early '80s were necessary for the sport to thrive on a national stage. This expansion is mere dilution.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:48 pm

sort of OT, but related to the point somewhat.

But it still boggles the mind that CFB doesn't want to be anything like college basketball in it's post season. This past weekend proves it.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:52 pm

As with the potential playoff system in football, as soon as they figure out the way to make a playoff more profitable than the bowls, University presidents won't care so much about the "tradition" of the bowl.

All they are doing now if running numbers and seeing how much cash they can make with 96 - and it will be done.

By the way, there hasn't been a team yet left out of the 64 team field that woulda won it. I feel sorry for undefeated football teams not playing in the championship game - the the team that feels they were "robbed" of the thirty somethingish at large spot....not so much. The teams that get in deserve post season basketball, and some of the teams that get in don't deserve post season basketball. If you can;t make a 64 team field, tough shit.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:59 pm

It's gonna happen and we'll still watch it...

No different then the BCS...

Wild cards in baseball...

Or the assinine Pro Bowl...

We...will...watch...it
waborat

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:17 am

Peeker643 wrote:Paul Hewitt may as well be Art Shell on the sidelines. All that talent and not a clue how to coach it or harness it. Same blank expression too.

...and I hear tonight Hewitt is the new favorite for the St. Johns job. I wonder what part of the game the St. Johns people were watching Sunday afternoon that made them think..."yeah...this is our guy"
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby oberle » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:02 am

If they REALLY want to fix the NCAA tourney, all they got to do is schedule the first two weeks so that no more than two games are on at the same time. Let ME decide what I want to watch. I'm so tired of the network deciding that a particular game is boring and forcing you to watch two teams you don't care about just because the game is within 15 points.
Cleveland, you gotta be tough!

(135 & Counting)
oberle
Ain't Rocket Science

Unread postby jordan kramer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:14 pm

oberle wrote:If they REALLY want to fix the NCAA tourney, all they got to do is schedule the first two weeks so that no more than two games are on at the same time. Let ME decide what I want to watch. I'm so tired of the network deciding that a particular game is boring and forcing you to watch two teams you don't care about just because the game is within 15 points.

mmod.ncaa.com brotha. i never used it before this year, and i will never watch the tourney the same way again. i set up the t.v. right by the computer and watched 2 games at once for several hours a day the first weekend, it was awesome. march madness on demand does serious work
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:30 am

They should have never went to 65 teams. It's so goofy, 65 instead of 64 ... the one sacrificial play in game. It's dumb. When they added a conference they should have just taken away one of the at large berths.

That said, since they have gone to 65, and since it appears unlikely they will go back to 64 (my #1 preference) ... I'd like to see them expand it to 68.

You do four play in games. Two Tuesday night, two Wednesday night. Between the eight bubble teams. Four winners get in as #12 seeds.

Games would be very exciting. Get the Tourney started two days earlier too. This years games would have been like ...

Virginia Tech vs UTEP
Illinois vs Utah St
Mississippi State vs Minnesota
Dayton vs Washington

Of course, the reason this can never happen: brackets would have to be done by Tuesday afternoons. Probably 25-30% less people would play brackets as a result, and it would have an impact on ratings.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:49 am

swerb wrote:
Of course, the reason this can never happen: brackets would have to be done by Tuesday afternoons. Probably 25-30% less people would play brackets as a result, and it would have an impact on ratings.

Shouldn't be a problem at all...

The NCAA frowns on the gambling aspect anyways :lmfao:
waborat

Unread postby Cease » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:03 pm

FWIW, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney calls the move to 96 teams "probable". Gottlieb brings some decent takes in the video.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/news/story?id=5043254
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:13 pm

A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:17 pm

This is about money. Nothing more.

The NCAA can never use the "Kids will miss too much class" excuse for not having a playoff in CFB again.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:25 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:This is about money. Nothing more.

The NCAA can never use the "Kids will miss too much class" excuse for not having a playoff in CFB again.

Think they'll discount their regular season and conference tourney tickets now that they've rendered that portion of the season somewhat less meaningful?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby waborat » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:25 pm

Love it...

The best event just got bester...

Another day of the year to just sit-on-ass :clap:
waborat

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:56 am

Peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:This is about money. Nothing more.

Think they'll discount their regular season and conference tourney tickets now that they've rendered that portion of the season somewhat less meaningful?

The regualr season already means very little.

It's a stupid idea that only the morons running the NCAA could come up with.

It'll make day 1 and 2 pretty much irrelevant.

Can't wait to see those 12-18 teams playing the 17-13 teams.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:12 pm

How the 96 team field mighta looked ...

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/con ... ID=1074155
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:39 pm

"Mid-Majors May Not Benefit"

Well, no shit.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Return to College Sports Arena