Text Size

College Sports Arena

Five football commits in last 24 hours

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Five football commits in last 24 hours

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:44 pm

A flurry of football commitments for OSU since Monday. Five new verbals to bring the 2011 class to seven. It had been four months since the first two guys signed.

Here's the list...not yet updated to include the latest...Chase Farris of Elyria.

http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=9&c=8&yr=2011

Farris is a catch. 6'6", 265 DE/OT....had offers from all over...ND, UM, MSU, Iowa, Wisc. Will probably play DE at first for Bucks...That's three super DE's for OSU. The first two commits are rated in the top 7 DE's in the nation, and are both in Scout Top 100 players overall. Steve Miller (#3 DE) and Kenny Hayes (#7 DE). Farris makes this an awesome trio.

11W has some video of Farris: http://bit.ly/b1MmPJ

With one exception, the other new guys are also "bigs"

Chris Carter 6'4", 325, OG from JFK
Antonio Underwood OG 6' 3", 300 from Shaker Hts.
Brian Bobek: center, 6'3", 280, from Palatine, IL
DerJuan Gambrell CB 6' 2", 180 Toledo Rogers
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: Five football commits in last 24 hours

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:56 pm

Any QBs on their radar?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:17 pm

3:

Braxton Miller (OH) - Elite dual threat QB, five star caliber, bigger prospect than Zwick was at the time.

Randall (FL) - Elite dual threat QB, possibly 5 star caliber, but pretty much a lost cause, favoring Oregon and UF. I almost this this offer was to keep UF on him so they couldn't focus as much attention on Braxton, but thats totally unsubstantiated

Cardale Jones (OH) Elite size, a bit of a project, OSU slow playing him right now, which for the time being seems to be ok considering he is a Glenville kid and would likely wait either way to commit publicly.

I believe there is one more, Teddy Bridgewater that was on the radar last season but I have not heard anything regarding him lately.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:54 pm

JCoz wrote:3:

Braxton Miller (OH) - Elite dual threat QB, five star caliber, bigger prospect than Zwick was at the time.

Randall (FL) - Elite dual threat QB, possibly 5 star caliber, but pretty much a lost cause, favoring Oregon and UF. I almost this this offer was to keep UF on him so they couldn't focus as much attention on Braxton, but thats totally unsubstantiated

Cardale Jones (OH) Elite size, a bit of a project, OSU slow playing him right now, which for the time being seems to be ok considering he is a Glenville kid and would likely wait either way to commit publicly.

I believe there is one more, Teddy Bridgewater that was on the radar last season but I have not heard anything regarding him lately.

Very interesting thinking there regarding Randall. Miller has been thought to be an OSU lean but it seems recently that he would look at the Gators. Don't forget that Randall's high school coach played for JT at YSU. Even if he's not giving OSU a serious look, with that relationship there you may very well be right that they're just working to keep Urban out of Miller's living room.

Have you heard anything about Cliff Stoudt's son lately? I believe he's the third rated QB in Ohio this year behind Miller and Jones. Seems any other year that Stoudt would have an OSU offer. I think he'll end up in the Big Ten/Notre Dame. If we're not careful with Jones, he could end up biting us too. Wisconsin has been able to pull a couple of Glenville guys and already has the Bedford pipeline as well so they know their way around NE Ohio.

I want 2 QB's this year whether it's Miller/Jones or Miller/Stoudt I don't really care.

Back on topic, great 2 days for the staff. We really need bigs this year and landing 3 interior lineman plus a Cam Hayward type D-lineman is a great start (not comparing the Farris kid to Cam already, just in body type as a big and athletic end that probably projects more as a tackle). Now we can focus on finding a couple of elite offensive tackles and another DT and our line recruiting is complete across the board.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Return to College Sports Arena