Text Size

College Sports Arena

Tressel Extended through 2014

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Tressel Extended through 2014

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:28 pm

Two more years added to the Vest's current deal:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4999971
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Tressel Extended through 2014

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Hard to argue with that...

He's there until he says he's not
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Cease » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:20 pm

waborat wrote:Hard to argue with that...

He's there until he says he's not

Absolutely there until he wants to leave. Adjust the salary every few years, make sure he's getting his due compared to other coaches. Outside of a major academic or booster scandal, the Vest is (and should be) untouchable.

Just out of curiosity- what would it take for O-State to make a move on his position? Three consecutive 4 loss seasons? Four? That possibility seems so remote. As long as the blood stays good b/w him and whoever the President is down there, he's golden.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:30 pm

Have to do it for recruiting and he's enetring a year with real BCS aprirations.

he's no Ferenz though. :lmfao:
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:27 pm

a couple of interesting side stories here that I picked up from following the beat guys on Twitter today...

Tressel negotiated the extension without his agent's involvement...he and Gene Smith just sat down and hammered it out.

The extension did not involve a pay increase at all...JT says he is happy with his current salary...(hence no need for an agent)

JT was offered a 3-year extension and he opted to go with two years instead (through 2014)

This prompted speculation by one of the guys that he may be looking at 2014 as his last year as HC. He has said before he has no interest in doing a Paterno thing.

His previous deal included the promise (guarantee?) of a faculty position at the end of his coaching contract. This new deal specifies a position as an Associate A.D.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:50 pm

obviously some of that stuff was in the article , which I didn't read till after I posted above...duh

Doug Lesmerises reported some of JT's perks that go on top of his salary...(which is 3.77 million from 2012-2014)

...2 cars, golf club membership, 20 hours of private jet use, 40 football tickets for each game, 4 basketball tickets for each game.

Nice
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:30 am

wiz1001 wrote:a couple of interesting side stories here that I picked up from following the beat guys on Twitter today...

Tressel negotiated the extension without his agent's involvement...he and Gene Smith just sat down and hammered it out.

The extension did not involve a pay increase at all...JT says he is happy with his current salary...(hence no need for an agent)

JT was offered a 3-year extension and he opted to go with two years instead (through 2014)

This prompted speculation by one of the guys that he may be looking at 2014 as his last year as HC. He has said before he has no interest in doing a Paterno thing.

His previous deal included the promise (guarantee?) of a faculty position at the end of his coaching contract. This new deal specifies a position as an Associate A.D.

JB hit the nail on the head for what prompted the extension, but wiz pointed out the details pertinent to bucks fans.

JT said he wouldn't be here for the UT home and home (2018&2019) and this seems to be narrowing down the exit route. Specific job title? That's very telling.

Good stuff, I've been slacking on OSU for the last couple weeks.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:34 pm

JCoz wrote:
wiz1001 wrote:a couple of interesting side stories here that I picked up from following the beat guys on Twitter today...

JB hit the nail on the head for what prompted the extension, but wiz pointed out the details pertinent to bucks fans.

JT said he wouldn't be here for the UT home and home (2018&2019) and this seems to be narrowing down the exit route. Specific job title? That's very telling.

Good stuff, I've been slacking on OSU for the last couple weeks.

Does this make it likely that they name a replacement for Tressel at this time next year or shortly therefater to maintain some hold on recruiting and philosophy while he transitions out? Or even, let's say, he extends again next season. At some point he's going to leave. As JCoz notes it looks be within the next decade.
Whenever that time does come do you Buckeye guys think they do a Jimbo Fisher type thing with a replacement?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:44 pm

Personally Peek, I'm not sure that mini-trend is going to continue.

Also, I seriously doubt that the correct components are here to facilitate that. I do not believe OSU will hire a HC without previous HC experience. Right now we don't have one of those in our ranks except Heacock, and he will retire IMO.

Only true candidates are Fickell and Hazell, Both promising young coaches who IMO will have to leave soon if they intend to succeed Tressel. I believe they will leave, BTW, but of course you can't name another teams coach as a HCIW.....

Who ends up replacing them will be very interesting and could stir that pot though....

Hazell would be the only outside possibility that I can see.

My .02
JCoz

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:02 pm

JCoz wrote:Personally Peek, I'm not sure that mini-trend is going to continue.

Also, I seriously doubt that the correct components are here to facilitate that. I do not believe OSU will hire a HC without previous HC experience. Right now we don't have one of those in our ranks except Heacock, and he will retire IMO.

Only true candidates are Fickell and Hazell, Both promising young coaches who IMO will have to leave soon if they intend to succeed Tressel. I believe they will leave, BTW, but of course you can't name another teams coach as a HCIW.....

Who ends up replacing them will be very interesting and could stir that pot though....

Hazell would be the only outside possibility that I can see.

My .02

I'm with J on this one. Only people on staff that could be the next coach are Fickell and Hazell and neither would be named without head coaching experience. So to answer Peek's question, no I don't see the head coach in waiting thing happening at OSU.

Outside the program you would probably hear all of the Ohio names as candidates, including Urban, however many Stoops there are now, and of course Bo Pelini.

At this early stage, I say it comes down to two OSU grads in Fickell and Pelini, depending on Fickell getting his first head coaching gig before then.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:44 pm

I wonder if we hear Mark D'antoni's name pop up.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:49 pm

I don't know if the run n' gun will work at OSU without Steve Nash...
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:53 pm

Forgot the extra O. :bag:
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jordan kramer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Bo knows who should be the coach post-tressel
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Return to College Sports Arena