Text Size

College Sports Arena

Big Ten Coaches Ranked - Amazing

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Big Ten Coaches Ranked - Amazing

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:55 am

Shit like this just makes me want to lose my lunch on my keyboard...

(Edit: I just went back and saw that this article is almost a year old...but it doesn't really change anything about its lameness)

http://bit.ly/aYP2dQ

Some guy (from Rivals, in a special for SI) ranks Big Ten coaches...and it's the lamest, most weakly argued thing you can imagine. Talk about mailing one in...

Ferentz is #1...not an outrageous thing to contend...but why?

The true measure of a man is how he responds to adversity. Ferentz has passed the test, pulling the Hawkeyes from a three-year slump to a 9-4 mark in 2008. Even better, Ferentz appears to have Iowa poised for another glorious run after leading the school to two Big Ten crowns from 2002-04. And Ferentz has done all of this with less-than-blue-chip talent.

He's so good, he pulled them from a three-year slump. Who coached them into, and throughout that three-year slump is apparently a freaking mystery to this guy. They're ready for "another glorious run". Well, who can forget that glorious run they had in 2002, when they tied for the BT title because OSU, the national champions, weren't on the schedule? And man...how does he do so well (completely disappearing from conference contention for half the last decade) with such crappy players? He's so good, he can't be held responsible for sub-par recruiting. Being in the corn belt never stopped Tom Osborne from getting good players. Jesus.

It gets better.

#2 - You didn't have to click the link to know this one - Yup. DickRod

to the "analysis"...

Think round peg, square hole. That's the best way to describe Rich Rod's dubious and dreadful debut. We all know he's better than that. Witness the national power he built at West Virginia, where he amassed a 60-26 record and four Big East titles. It was painfully obvious the offensive personnel Rodriguez inherited in Ann Arbor were ill-suited to run his spread-option offense. That slowly will change as he fills the roster with his players. Then, look out.

Wow. He won 69% of his games in the brutal Big East...where he played the likes of football powers Rutgers, Cincinnati, Syracuse and Louisville every year, habitually losing at least one game a year he shouldn't have. And "we all know he's better than" that piece of shit team he's put on the field the last two years. Not his fault Michigan didn't have the right kind of football players to suit his greatness. The one right thing the guy said was "Look out"

By the way, the guy with the five conference titles, three NC games, one D-1 and three 1-AA national championships, and an .813 winning percentage came in third. As the man said...not bad.

The legendary Joe Paterno? 4th best coach in the conference....Pat Fitzgerald 8th (behind Dantonio, Zook and Bielema) Please.

The rest of this lameness doesn't matter....I got it all off my chest. That's what counts.

That is all.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Big Ten Coaches Ranked - Amazing

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Zook above Bielama and Fitzgerald is hilarious.

Tress is the best coach in the Big 10. End of story.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:52 pm

FWIW I posted and we bitched about this article when it was originally ran.

No thoughts have changed either.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:17 pm

one of the OSU beat writers tweeted it yesterday, and I went off without looking at the date. The only things that have changed since were one good season on Ferentz' resume, and one more shit season on DickRod's.

My opinion on Ferentz went up this past year from where it was before. I thought he did a really nice job with that team in 09.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Return to College Sports Arena