Text Size

College Sports Arena

Ohio State vs. Georgetown

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Ohio State vs. Georgetown

Unread postby furls » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:06 pm

Thoughts?

Personally, as I wrote in my preview, I think that there are times when you will win if you play within yourselves and execute your game. This is one of those times where I think that this does not hold for Ohio State. They need to do what they can, within their own abilities, to take the Hoyas out of their game.

Fortunately for the Buckeyes, they can play several different styles of basketball. They are pretty flexible, Georgetown is not. They do what they do well, but really do not have the personnel to do much outside of their game. To the Hoyas credit, they do not abandon their gameplan easily, they did not change the way they played even when they were down ten to UNC late. Ohio State has got to FORCE them out of their game.

For chess geeks out there, I would liken this match up to a Sicilian defense against a Queen's Gambit. A well played sicilian will defeat (or tie which is the same as a win for black) a queen's gambit nearly every time. Georgetown's preferred and natural game is a winning strategy against Ohio State's gameplan, the Buckeyes need to either change what they do (always a dangerous plan) or get Georgetown out of their game plan.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:04 pm

I'm a checkers guy myself so I look at it as always having an out.

I like the match up of our guards v theirs. I think ours are quicker and can get to the rim more consistently.

IMO the coaches can have an impact today in how they use their respective game changers on the defensive end.

IMO Oden is more of a go getter on D than Hibbert which could be an advantage. From what I have seen Hibbert waits for the opposition to come to him the vast majority of the time, Oden attacks more. Hibbert being slower could help off set Oden's early foul trouble trend. I think we can put Hibbert in the same position if we play smart.

Turnovers will be key as OSU has been notorious for taking care of the ball much of the season and in many of these key games down the stretch, against Tennessee they had 1 in the second half IIRC.

I always like to look at match ups like this, if both teams played their absolute best who is most likely to win, IMO the Buckeyes, as you mentioned they are more versatile. However if both teams don't (which is obviously the case 75% of the time) then who wins, I think in that scenario it is very close. Then it comes down to who handles adversety better, turnovers and free throws.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby furls » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:56 pm

Some of the worst officiating I have seen in a long time in the first half, but so far the Bucks are doing pretty well. I am not just referring to the Oden fouls. How many times were they going to foul Ivan Harris before he got a call. Hibbert actually has about 4 fouls so far. How was Conley not fouled on that last drive? It was pretty clear that he was.

Georgetown's offense has been largely ineffective and the Buckeyes look to be taking my column to hart. THey are going strong to the rim most of the time down the floor and they are moving down the court with some sense of purpose.

The game plan looks good, now it is just a question of who picks up their third earlier in the third, Hibbert or Oden. I am sure it will be a ticky tack foul and both will be on the bench before too long, but if OSU can get Hibbert on the bench quick then they should be able to really capitalize with Oden.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Guest » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:18 pm

HELL YA!!!!

GO BUCKS!!!!

Unread postby yargs7 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:36 pm

That game shouldn't have been close. Ohio State was head and shoulders better than G-Town. The refs were awful and kept it close with some horrible calls and no calls. And did anyone else notice how many travels GT got away with? Big East teams coached by JT3 get 2 pivot feet.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby yargs7 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:37 pm

BTW. I love David Lighty's game. Great defender. Hustles. Gets the tough rebounds. Takes charges. Obvioulsy, Thad loves him too. He took all Deaquan's 2nd half minutes. As well he should have.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:12 pm

This game was a bit of a shame in a way. This isn't 1978, the games has changed as far as people drawing charges and perfecting the flopping that goes along with it. This clash of two big men came down to nothing more than the teams trying to keep their man in the game and take the other man out. If they are going to keep calling as many player control fouls as they do then give the big men 6 fouls.

Ohio state really defends. I don't think they've been given enough credit for that all year. They won this game with Oden out much of it, and their hottest player in Lewis having a sub-par shooting game.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:12 pm

Great basketball game.

The ususal suspects, Conley with another huge game at both ends and Lighty with several big plays off the bench once again. Hes been huge for this team.

And Oden in the second half, good God.

If he woulda made that one dunk that bounced off the back of the rim, we'd have been seeing that play for the next 10 years.

Thad freaking Matta. Mediocrity to the title game in three seasons.

Classic Oden quote in the post game wrap from the AP ...

"I was out for 17 minutes," Oden said, "I wanted to get in there and just tear the rim out."

Beast.

Ivan and Jamar with some big buckets as well. And we survive a 1-8 from Ronnie Lewis.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:02 pm

Great article on sportsline.com from Greg Doyel.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasket ... y/10100591

The refs absolutely sucked in this game, and I sure as hell hope they aren't calling the Monday night game.

Give Hibbert and Oden more gametime, and I'm 99% sure it still ends up with OSU winning.

But the stupid refs should have been shot.

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:35 pm

Big.Fucking.Win.

Gonna need one helluva an effort to knock off Florida. (we seriously can't be the Gators bitches in the title game again in three months, can we?)

BTW, Hibbard is good. In fact, pretty much on par with Oden. Whoever is picking #3 or #4 is going to get a helluva center after Oden/Durant go 1-2. This won't be the last time Hibbard-Oden matchup either.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:44 pm

solid article and it echoes my feelings.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:16 am

The Buckeyes controlled the entire game, not even debatable.

Hibbert can be a joke, he gets only broken play points on offense and does not attack on D.

He was on the floor much more than Oden and he didn't impact the game nearly as much.

Honestly I was not worried one bit after I saw GTown run their offense after Oden hit the bench early first half.

The score did NOT reflect the difference between these two teams today.

OSU was without a doubt the better team.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:48 am

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:34 pm

Who's Hibbard?

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:37 pm

Didnt the cavs used to have a guy named Hibbard a long time ago? Somewhere around the Mel Turpin era?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:45 pm

Hubbard. Phil Hubbard.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:37 pm

or Hinson, Roy Hinson
dmiles

Unread postby docstank » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:47 pm

swerb that valentine is absolutely hillarious.
stank
docstank

Return to College Sports Arena