Text Size

College Sports Arena

Bryant is a Buckeye

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Bryant is a Buckeye

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:36 pm

Christian Bryant, the 4-star cornerback from Glenville committed to Ohio State today.

http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p= ... id=4233622

Bryant had been seriously considering North Carolina, where he probably would have been able to play sooner, but the Ted Ginn Sr. pipeline to Columbus won out in the end. Bryant (5' 10", 175, 4.5) is rated the #8 cornerback in the country by Scout. He is 2-3 inches shorter than the prototype OSU CB's of the Tressel era, but is said to be a physical player with great coverage and ball skills. He was a jack of all trades for Glenville...playing both ways and doing the punting as well. Had 17 receptions (200 yds) and 17 rushes (300 yds) in his senior year with 13 TD's total, including two INT's for TD's.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Bryant is a Buckeye

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Not an unexpected development, but a good one all the same. Lots of weird stuff with the recruiting this year, so getting Bryant is good.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:16 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic about a strong finish, Furls. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see JT land both Henderson and Hicks.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:59 am

I feel good about the fact that they are commited to filling up this class....there is an awful lot of "back-ups" to Hicks and Henderson...

Brown, Moses, James, Anderson...... I think none of these has a commitable offer at this point until Hicks decides...Maybe James.

I think Washington staying threw a small wrench in thier plans...not as much space as they thought.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30 am

JCoz wrote:I feel good about the fact that they are commited to filling up this class....there is an awful lot of "back-ups" to Hicks and Henderson...

Brown, Moses, James, Anderson...... I think none of these has a commitable offer at this point until Hicks decides...Maybe James.

I think Washington staying threw a small wrench in thier plans...not as much space as they thought.

Great point. I don't think people think about outgoing players and how they effect recruiting enough. I sure don't.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:46 am

JCoz wrote:I think Washington staying threw a small wrench in their plans...not as much space as they thought.

There is talk that a couple of fifth-year seniors (Kerr?, Conner Smith?) who have little chance of contributing significantly may bow out of the program and open up another spot or two. We're at 18 right now (with Hyde) so 20 is the official number of open spots, but it may end up at 21 or possibly 22.

I understand it's also a possibility that Grant Schwartz, who I think has graduated or is close to graduating, might return to CA with a year of eligibility remaining.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:42 pm

I am also cautiously optimistic about the finish as well, although the Bucks do not have a history of strong finishes. I think Henderson ends up at OSU, I am 20:80 on Hicks, and probably about the same for Moses. Any two of those three makes it a great finish. If I have to pick 2 of the 3, ill take the OL. Hicks would be a nice luxury, but OSU's LB depth really is an embarrassment of riches.

edit:

Hicks is announcing on Friday and word on the street is that he will be a Longhorn.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:05 pm

Furls wrote:I am also cautiously optimistic about the finish as well, although the Bucks do not have a history of strong finishes. I think Henderson ends up at OSU, I am 20:80 on Hicks, and probably about the same for Moses. Any two of those three makes it a great finish. If I have to pick 2 of the 3, ill take the OL. Hicks would be a nice luxury, but OSU's LB depth really is an embarrassment of riches.

edit:

Hicks is announcing on Friday and word on the street is that he will be a Longhorn.

I don't have a great feeling about Hicks either but maybe the earlier announcement means good news for the in-state Buckeyes?

I have a better feeling on Moses than your 20:80. He "still has some things to clean up" academically (quoting his prep school coach) and word is the quarter system of OSU would allow him to do that and still enroll in time for spring practice. I would normally be uneasy about recruiting a guy that still hasn't completely qualified, but I don't see Tressel making an in home visit to a guy that isn't on the right path.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:28 pm

I am sure that Moses would like to come to OSU, but I am 20:80 that he actually makes it. If he were qualified and ready to go without baggage I would say more like 75:25, based on the relationship with Carlos Hyde alone, but the fact is that the young man (who went to prep school to clean up his academics), "still has work to do." This leads me to doubt that he will qualify. Keep in mind that he is also still shopping other schools too.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:06 am

Kid can ball.

This is a good thing.

I hope he can keep his nose clean.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby TOTribeFan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:04 pm

Furls wrote:I am also cautiously optimistic about the finish as well, although the Bucks do not have a history of strong finishes. I think Henderson ends up at OSU, I am 20:80 on Hicks, and probably about the same for Moses. Any two of those three makes it a great finish. If I have to pick 2 of the 3, ill take the OL. Hicks would be a nice luxury, but OSU's LB depth really is an embarrassment of riches.

edit:

The word on the street about Hicks was right - unfortunately....
TOTribeFan

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:29 pm

TOTribeFan wrote:

edit:

The word on the street about Hicks was right - unfortunately....

Sucks losing such a highly rated kid from Ohio, but as Furls pointed out, it's not a big loss simply because of the LB depth in Columbus.

On to the O-Line. If we can land Henderson it's a great finish in my book. Henderson plus one more lineman and I'm ecstatic.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Furls wrote:I am sure that Moses would like to come to OSU, but I am 20:80 that he actually makes it. If he were qualified and ready to go without baggage I would say more like 75:25, based on the relationship with Carlos Hyde alone, but the fact is that the young man (who went to prep school to clean up his academics), "still has work to do." This leads me to doubt that he will qualify. Keep in mind that he is also still shopping other schools too.

I agree Furls but something about this case just seems different. Reminds me of Larry Grant a couple years ago out of JUCO. He wasn't eligible for Florida and was coming out of a JUCO, all things that would say he wouldn't qualify and we wouldn't be interested, but Tressel knew something we didn't and jumped in at the last minute to grab him and he ended up qualifying.

Reports came out today that Moses canceled his visit to LSU and now plans on signing on NLOI day when earlier reports said he was going to commit after the 3rd. And hs coach is now quoted as saying that he is getting a class verified (whatever that means) and they believe he will win the appeal and become eligible. I almost expect him to commit on NLOI day and have the academic situation cleared after that. Ohio State is the only school he's considering that's on quarters and can get him enrolled in time for spring ball.

I see him committing to the Bucks on Wednesday and if that class gets approved, he's a Buckeye in the spring. If he's still not eligible, he has another semester at Fork Union to get it cleaned up and then he can enroll in the summer.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:26 pm

I think he will sign on Wednesday (Moses) and may or may not be eligible. He has a ton of upside as a guard and he will be a good get. I hope he can break the 2 deep this year if he can get eligible. I read the reports today about his academics and it looks like he will qualify in the near future. That is very good news for the Bucks indeed. IMO he is a bigger get for the Bucks than Hicks would've been. You must always keep positional need in mind when determining a recruits worth, we don't need LBs we need OL and DTs

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:43 pm

Is Moses the OL that originally was going to UVA? If so he is an absolute MONSTER & I can't even imagine him along side Henderson..WOWWW!!!!

:guns:
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:15 am

Same guy, 6'7 330 or so. Big and nasty, was one of the nations top 5 OL last year, but could not academically qualify so he spent this year at Fork Union doing some prep work. Had a great season this year and would be a terrific get for the Bucks. Even though he has tackle size, I think he projects as a guard in the NCAA. I just don't think he has the feet to block speed rushers in space.

With only one committed OL for this year (Norwell) and probably about a 50:50 shot at Henderson, we really need Moses.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena