Text Size

College Sports Arena

Uh oh

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Uh oh

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:16 pm

"Ohio States Greg Oden Possibly Being Paid"
Chris Anderson reporting:

Columbus, Ohio., Ohio State University basketball center Greg Oden has reportedly been paid by the University to play basketball. The Buckeyes, who spent several weeks this season ranked at #1 in the polls, and currently in the "Elite 8" of the NCAA Tournament have not addressed the accusations at this point. Sources close to the basketball program have leaked information stating that Oden has indeed, been paid. The amount is not known, as it varies from payment to payment. The source did go onto say that, "The payments do not come in the forms of cash, per say. They come in commodities that are then turned into cash with minimum effort from Mr. Oden himself." The source did go on to describe an elaborate, yet incredibly simple way for Oden to get paid. "What we do. Is take all of the recyclable cans, bottles and papers we can get people to donate......." He added, "....and deliver them to Mr. Oden in a truck. He then takes the truck to the local recycling centers and pockets the money. It's a very affective process. He gets paid and there's no way of linking anything to the boosters. Of course, the people who do donate. Have no idea where the recyclables are going, and who the money goes to." Greg Oden is in his first year at Ohio State, and not expected to stay long. He's touted as the #1 pick in the this seasons NBA draft. Should he decide to forgo his 3 remaining season at the university. An investigation is currently being put in gear by university officials in order to gather more information about these claims.

Pending sanctions may push Thad to Ky.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby furls » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:56 pm

I wouldn't even know how to respond to this. This (if true) would have to be the most hairbrained booster scandal EVER. Seriously, who wouldn't notice a seven foot black man turning a TRUCKLOAD of cans. Would make more sense to do it old school style, handing over envelopes of cash and 500.00 handshakes.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby dpdad » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:07 pm

What we do. Is take all of the recyclable cans, bottles and papers we can get people to donate......." He added, "....and deliver them to Mr. Oden in a truck.

Sounds like satire to me. What does he make, about 10 cents a pound?
Seriously, who wouldn't notice a seven foot black man turning a TRUCKLOAD of cans.

LOL. :mrgreen:
dpdad

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:54 pm

Far too many odd sentence breaks for that to be credible. ; )
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:18 pm

Furls wrote:I wouldn't even know how to respond to this. This (if true) would have to be the most hairbrained booster scandal EVER. Seriously, who wouldn't notice a seven foot black man turning a TRUCKLOAD of cans. Would make more sense to do it old school style, handing over envelopes of cash and 500.00 handshakes.

LOL!!!!!!
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:22 pm

I don't believe it since ESPN hasn't picked up on anything yet and they'd run with this faster than you can blink.

Oden will get paid soon enough.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:34 pm

Another Admin posted it on my board, I'm awaiting a link
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:50 pm

Come on, this is clearly a farce ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:05 pm

This is impressive:

It's a very affective process.

Main Entry: af·fec·tive
Pronunciation: a-'fek-tiv
Function: adjective
1 : relating to, arising from, or influencing feelings or emotions : EMOTIONAL <cognitive and affective symptoms>
2 : expressing emotion <affective language>

probably the wrong use of the word.

per say

impressive also, as it is generally written "per se" (it is latin, not english).

donate......." He added, "....and deliver

improper use of the ellipsis, not to mention too many periods. Proper use of the ellipsis dictates that three dots be used in ommitting a fragment, four dots used for ommitting entire sentences. Seven periods? I guess that is used in the ommission of the truth.

no way of linking anything to the boosters.

this phrase directly conflicts with this phrase:

Greg Oden has reportedly been paid by the University

Boosters do not = the University and no credible news agency or reporter would make this mistake. A mistake like that could potentially lead to a libel suit.

Have no idea where the recyclables are going, and who the money goes to.

This is a ridiculous statement, why would they donate then? You have to understand Booster psychology. Boosters do not give money to players anonymously, it is all about being the big shot. Furthermore, how many boosters would it take to make a truckload of aluminum cans.

Greg Oden is in his first year at Ohio State, and not expected to stay long. He's touted as the #1 pick in the this seasons NBA draft

The wording here is awkward (to put it politely).

and this:

Should he decide to forgo his 3 remaining season at the university.

is not a sentence, it is a dependent clause.

An investigation is currently being put in gear by university officials

awkward use of the passive voice. There are times when it is appropriate, despite what your high school teacher told you, but in this case (describing a proactive activity) it is not (except in 6th grade).

Pending sanctions may push Thad to Ky.

If there was any truth to this, KY would not touch him. Last thing they need is a credibility risk for a faultering program.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:07 pm

If it wasnt so fun to mock this obvious farce, I would lock the thread as baseless bullshit.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:45 am

Good job tearing apart the comments Furls.

Even if this were true it likely wouldn't have long term repercussions for Ohio State if the university and coaching staff knew nothing about it and reported it immediately when they discovered. The worst that could happen would be Oden would be declared ineligible and the Buckeyes would have to forfeit the season. That would suck but it would be better than the probation and worse that would happen if the university were actually paying players. Matta would get blackballed for that and I guarantee that Ohio State's AD would get shitcanned quickly.

I doubt Ohio State lets any thing like that happen knowingly. They understand the stakes after all the crap that happened under O'Brien.

Still nothing on ESPN - shocker that.
:roll :roll:
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to College Sports Arena