Text Size

College Sports Arena

Ohio State vs. Memphis for the rights to the Final Four

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Ohio State vs. Memphis for the rights to the Final Four

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:47 pm

One of the biggest basketball games in Buckeyes history of recent years.

And how about Dorsey calling out Oden?

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasket ... y/10083226

Memphis' Dorsey wrote this for Ohio State's bulletin board
March 23, 2007
By Gregg Doyel
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

SAN ANTONIO -- How well does Greg Oden play when he's pissed off? If Oden reads what you're about to read, we'll find out Saturday when Ohio State plays Memphis for the South Regional championship.

With a handful of well-spoken if not well-chosen words, Memphis' Joey Dorsey blew up Oden on Friday, calling the 7-foot All-American "overrated" and saying if his meeting with Oden is a modern-day David vs. Goliath, that Dorsey is Goliath.

Dorsey's verbal barrage came too late for a response from Oden, since the Buckeyes met the media first, but OSU officials were working the media room for Dorsey's quotes. Elsewhere in the Alamodome, Memphis coach John Calipari was doing damage control.

"Joey called him out? What did he say?" Calipari said. "He wasn't calling him out. I think (Dorsey) knows he's about to play the best big man in the country, and he's excited about the challenge. If he said it any other way, that's not how he meant it."

Could be. Tell you what: I'll put you in the room with Dorsey when he said what he said. It was one of those individual breakout rooms the NCAA gives starters. You decide what he meant when he responded to a question -- mine -- about Oden. To absolve myself of guilt, here is exactly what I said to trigger Dorsey's stream of unconsciousness:

"Joey, do you think you could make yourself some money tomorrow night? At some point you'll be in the NBA Draft, and scouts will study how you played against Oden."

That was me.

Here was Dorsey's response:

"Oh yeah," he said. "I think (scouts) really will be watching this game tomorrow night because it's two great big men going up against each other. I'm an underrated big man and he's a lot overrated as a big man."

Another reporter: Did you just say Greg Oden is overrated? And if so, why?

"I outrebounded him on the season," Dorsey said. "I'm the No. 6 rebounder in the nation, and I'm trying to move up to No. 1 after this game."

First of all, Dorsey's incorrect. He isn't sixth. He's 16th, at 9.7 rebounds per game -- two spots behind Oden, 14th at 9.8. Technically Dorsey is fifth nationally in total rebounds with 340, but Memphis has played more games than almost anyone.

Now then. Back to Dorsey's desire for rebounds ...

"I'm going to have a 20-rebound night," he said.

There. That's (some of) what he said. There's more, but let's take a break from Dorsey's diatribe to explain the kind of guy he is: He's a flake. A kook. He's the kind of guy who, when the media infiltrated his locker room Wednesday to discuss the Sweet 16 date with Texas A&M, Dorsey hid under a curtained training table.

Dorsey's different. During warm-ups he listens to what fans scream, and at one point this season he took advice from a ticket-holder on how to shoot free throws. When Dorsey put the advice into practice and made the practice shot, he pointed at the fan.

The media can sense the potential gold here. Before the individual breakout sessions, when all five Memphis starters and Calipari were in the main interview room, a reporter who shall go unnamed -- OK, it was Rick Reilly from Sports Illustrated -- nakedly tried to bait Dorsey by asking him if Oden was overrated.

Dorsey allowed that Oden "needs to work on his offense a little bit (but) he's a great player." Afterward, as he and teammate Chris Douglas-Roberts walked to their breakout rooms, Douglas-Roberts angrily re-lived the question.

"You see how he tried to set you up?" Douglas-Roberts said. "'Do you think Greg Oden's overrated?' Come on, man. 'Do you think he's overrated?' That's (expletive), man."

Maybe Dorsey missed the point, because his response to Douglas-Roberts was this: "I should have said I'm underrated!"

After avoiding being inflammatory in the main media room, Dorsey sat down in his sparsely attended breakout room and brought out the blow torch.

"He's a lot like me," he said of Oden. "He gets his head out of the game when he picks up quick fouls."

"I'm Goliath," he said of his individual battle with Oden. "He's the little man."

"He doesn't want to stay in the paint," he said of Oden. "He just wants to post up. I watched a couple games. He's not really playing in the paint. He likes to help-side (defend) and block shots. I haven't seen him against a great player play great defense."

Dorsey also said that he watched Ohio State's second-round scare against Xavier and noted that while his teammates were hoping Xavier would upset the Buckeyes, "I was cheering under my breath for (Ohio State) so I could get the matchup."

Douglas-Roberts was asked about the verbal show Dorsey was putting on in another room.

"That's just Joey. That's Joey Dorsey," he said, shaking his head and smiling. "I'm with it. If he's with it, I'm with it."

Back in Dorsey's room, he was asked about playing for Calipari.

"Coach is very intense," Dorsey said. "He gets in your butt. I was in his doghouse as a freshman, but I think I'm out now."

Not if Calipari reads this story, Joey.

And if Oden hears about it, Calipari might be the least of Dorsey's problems.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:54 pm

Wow, Im pumped for this contest!
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:56 pm

I'm very curious to see how Oden does tomorrow, and if he shows up and stuffs Dorsey's comments down his throat, or if Doresy exposes Oden (I think the former happens).
consigliere

yikes

Unread postby disappointmentzone » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:05 pm

If I were coaching up Memphis this is exactly the sort of thing I'd (secretly) hope my big guy would say. Oden has problems staying out of foul trouble when he's in Stoic Mode. Over the past few games his demeanor might not have changed by he's been a bit too aggressive on the defensive end, trying to block every shot into the bleachers rather than just making it damn near impossible for players to score over him down low--which is the result of him just sitting there. Memphis is going to attack Oden with the hope of getting him in foul trouble (much like Tennessee) and the one thing you don't want if you are Matta is an outraged Oden who's trying to make a point on every possession.

Or maybe you do. But if Oden gets even a little physical he gets blown for a foul. If the refs aren't calling the game close, then maybe Oden will shed Stoic Mode for something more emotional with good results, but with the exception of a few dunks during the Big Ten tourney, has anyone seen Oden actually play with intensity?
disappointmentzone

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:19 pm

He doesn't look intense b/c it doesn't taking intensity for him to get results.

He is that big and the gifted that the plays he does make take that much extra effort or "intensity" from other players.

That is where the premise of that infamous sports saying "the guy makes it look so easy" comes from.

His Airness
Kobe
Jerry Rice
Mi Amigo (Roberto Alomar for those not from CTwon)

Just to name a few examples.

They made plays that others may have been able to make (at times) but it took so much for those others to make that same play, while some of the elite made it look soooo easy.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby disappointmentzone » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:27 pm

Not to pick nits, but you can't honestly tell me that you've never seen Jordan, Kobe, et all looking intense. Jordan was by far one of the most intense players to play the game, and it was apparent on the court. There is a difference between playing with intensity and being good. Oden is good without playing with intensity, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be better with with intensity. There has been some talk that he's not gone all out bc of concern about hurting his wrist. This might be why he always seems so stoic on the court. But I think it's telling that he was almost completely indifferent after each of the last two games. He's just so even keel naturally that getting him riled up might be to his detriment.
disappointmentzone

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:30 pm

If he's trying to block every shot into the bleachers, wouldn't that be considered intense?

Actually he is picking up his fouls when drwan from the bucket and having to move laterally. When he's anchoring that 2-3 zone in the paint he's been relatively foul free, like most of the year.

Look, the guy is stoic. So was Robert Parrish, Bill Russell and Hakeem. Ever remember a different look on any of there faces. He would be no better with a different demeanor.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:29 pm

Final Four bayyybeee. Woot.

Agreed with Furls, Final Four validates the season. Right now, this is on par with the greatest basketball season at OSU I ever remember, the other being the 99 Scoonie Penn/Michael Redd team. But, this current team is a legit championship threat....
consigliere

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:37 pm

Congrats to the Buckeyes. They've earned the honor of being in the Final Four and really impressed when they had to dig deep against Xavier and Tennessee - and Oden wasn't really "on" in those games. Just shows the amount of talent they have and that Matta and his staff are excellent at what they do. Next week's game against the winner of UNC/GTown should be a good one. I'd personally like to see Georgetown play Ohio State, but I'm a Big East homer who greatly dislikes the Tar Heels.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:44 pm

Either way, the Bucks have a shot at revenge.

They can make ammends for one of their losses to UNC at Chapel Hill earlier in the year, without Oden (I'd like to see Oden bitchslap Hansbrough (sp)).

Or, they can make up for the embarassment to Georgetown last year when they got smoked by them in the 2nd round of the tourney. Hibbert vs. Oden would be a nice matchup as well.
consigliere

Unread postby furls » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:14 pm

I did some checking on some brackets that I have in various pools and came to a shocking revelation. I could potentially win a bunch of money if my bracket plays out. Unfortunately in that bracket (2 of 12 that don't have the buckeyes winning it all), I have the Buckeyes losing the next game to UNC. I get tired of watching my home team lose and then being SoL on the rest of my bracket, now, I have the worst case scenario facing me.

Frankly, I hope UNC is upset by Georgetown and ruins all conflicting interests I have in the game! Not that I could ever root against the Bucks, for any sum. After all, I am the guy who turned down 1200.00 flat for my scUM tickets this year and then gave one away to a friend.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:59 pm

OSU is growing up each game, despite looking bad in some of those previous games, they NEVER really panicked.

Then they put together a somewhat complete game against Memphis and put it away when they were given the opportunity.

These kids maybe young and inexperienced compared to some other teams but that doesn't mean they have to know they are.

It appears this whole winning streak and the tournament thus far ahs given them all the experience they need.

Seriously what more could they go through to make them ready?

IMO they are ready, it is all just a matter of executing and going out and taking what they should feel is theirs.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to College Sports Arena