Text Size

College Sports Arena

Buckeyes-Purdue/Big Tuesday

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Buckeyes-Purdue/Big Tuesday

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:06 pm

Tremendous win for the Buckeyes on Keady Court tonight.

Down 12 at the half as Robby Hummel scored 29 on 8 three-pointers, down 13 with about 6 minutes left, down 10 with just over four minutes to play, the Buckeyes blitzed Purdue to win it 70-66 and stop the bleeding.

Turner with 32 and just dominated the last 8 minutes of play.

They missed him dearly and they're still getting back in rhythm but that was a HUGE win for OSU as far as the rest of the year and potential tourney aspirations go.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Buckeyes-Purdue/Big Tuesday

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:08 pm

ET reminded me of LBJ circa the '07 ECF, well kind of.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:09 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:ET reminded me of LBJ circa the '07 ECF, well kind of.

Still doesn't have his wind back either. He was gassed.

Still brilliant, but gassed.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:13 pm

This game will be replayed on the Big Ten Network/ESPN Classic for the next 20 years.

Two of the Big Ten's best and two future NBAers going head to head.

Hummel goes out of his mind and drops 8 threes and 29 points in the first half (overshadowing 17 by an insanely hot William Buford).

Turner completely takes over and carries the Bucks back into the game with 25 second half points on his way to a career high 32.

Hummel dislocates his finger and returns 2 minutes later.

Great comeback in the last 4 minutes.

This game had it all.

And a Bucks win!

I heart Evan Turner.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 pm

NEOLeo wrote:Hummel dislocates his finger and returns 2 minutes later.

That finger injury was wince-inducing. Fingers should never be bent in that direction.

Hummel was neutralized nicely by Lighty when the Buckeyes figured out he was a bit hot at the half. ;-) ;) :wink: He was really a non-factor in the 2nd half even before the finger injury.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Hummel was neutralized nicely by Lighty when the Buckeyes figured out he was a bit hot at the half. ;-) ;) :wink: He was really a non-factor in the 2nd half even before the finger injury.

Man I was going crazy watching this game alone in my living room. What the hell was Matta thinking! I'm sure my neighbors could here me yelling for the man to man.

I traditionally hate zone anyway, and would almost always prefer a man to man, but especially when you are a team full of 6-5 athletes and their biggest threat is ON FIRE and hits 8 threes and pours in 29 points in the first half.

Absolutely stunning to me that Thad didn't adjust until after the half (and Hummel got 2 good looks to start off the 2nd too before Lighty really dug in).
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 pm

NEOLeo wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:Hummel was neutralized nicely by Lighty when the Buckeyes figured out he was a bit hot at the half. ;-) ;) :wink: He was really a non-factor in the 2nd half even before the finger injury.

Man I was going crazy watching this game alone in my living room. What the hell was Matta thinking! I'm sure my neighbors could here me yelling for the man to man.

I traditionally hate zone anyway, and would almost always prefer a man to man, but especially when you are a team full of 6-5 athletes and their biggest threat is ON FIRE and hits 8 threes and pours in 29 points in the first half.

Absolutely stunning to me that Thad didn't adjust until after the half (and Hummel got 2 good looks to start off the 2nd too before Lighty really dug in).

Tuned in at the half so I didn't see much zone. Didn't see much, if any, inside game from Purdue that didn't involve Moore going to the rim.

Will say the full-court pressure at the 4 minute mark was a great move by Matta. Took Purdue right of the game.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Tuned in at the half so I didn't see much zone. Didn't see much, if any, inside game from Purdue that didn't involve Moore going to the rim.

Will say the full-court pressure at the 4 minute mark was a great move by Matta. Took Purdue right of the game.

Played literally the entire first half in a zone. Maddening. Back-to-back games with idiotic flubs from Matta.

The Minnesota game was still a close ball game when Tubby had his guys trap Turner at the time line. The Bucks could have solved this easily by clearing Buford and/or Deibler out of the way and letting Turner go one-on-one. The Gophers weren't in a full court press or any sort of 1-2-2 style junk defense, they were simply playing man to man with the PG picking up Turner at three-quarters court. One of Deibler and Buford stood near the time line on EVERY FUCKING POSSESSION and his man simply stepped over and trapped Turner to cause a turnover or get the Bucks out of rhythm for the remainder of the possession. This happened on five straight possessions through TWO DIFFERENT timeouts from Matta. Couldn't believe he couldn't fix it.

Sorry, rant over.

Buy yes, the full-court pressure changed the game. A great adjustment by Matta. As was the man to man with Lighty on Hummel, albeit about 10 minutes to late.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 am

Evan Turner is the best hoops Buckeye since Jimmy Jackson.

Amazing, the kid wasn't even supposed to be back yet.

Some NBA team is going get a absolute steal when they draft him.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:44 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Some NBA team is going get a absolute steal when they draft him.

Not really a "steal" if you're a high lottery pick. ESPN has him ranked as the #3 overall pick right now.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:47 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Some NBA team is going get a absolute steal when they draft him.

Not really a "steal" if you're a high lottery pick. ESPN has him ranked as the #3 overall pick right now.

I did not know that.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:59 am

Peeker643 wrote:Tremendous win for the Buckeyes on Keady Court tonight.

Down 12 at the half as Robby Hummel scored 29 on 8 three-pointers, down 13 with about 6 minutes left, down 10 with just over four minutes to play, the Buckeyes blitzed Purdue to win it 70-66 and stop the bleeding.

Turner with 32 and just dominated the last 8 minutes of play.

They missed him dearly and they're still getting back in rhythm but that was a HUGE win for OSU as far as the rest of the year and potential tourney aspirations go.

I'd say "cremencus" even.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:12 am

Rematch Wednesday. Big week coming up for the Bucks... Purdue at home Wed. and Sunday at MSU.

A couple of wins could make it hard to not to win the Big 10. One trip-up though will cost them as it appears Wisky is lurking with most of their tough games finished, outside of season ending game at Illinois. MSU/Purdue both very capable, but the Bucks won two on the road this week which is tough in this conference. This team could be really pesky come NCAA time.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:08 pm

I think come Tourney time, they are far more than pesky. They're a flat out dangerous team.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:54 pm

anyone know how purdue is looking? I am in class and not able to watch, keep checking gamecast and waiting for them to choke, per the norm.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby davemanddd » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Triple-S wrote:anyone know how purdue is looking? I am in class and not able to watch, keep checking gamecast and waiting for them to choke, per the norm.

buckeyes are the ones who are choking like mama cass on a ham sandwich. purdue led by as much as 15 in the first half, but the bucks cut it down to 2 points midway thru the 2nd half, but they just can't seem to get over the hump. they had at least 3 or 4 opportunities to either tie or take the lead but failed every time down. lighty lost the ball out of bounds after a nice defensive play and then on a subsequent possession, he badly missed a brick 3. buford missed a couple of 3's too as did evan turner, but when jon diebler starts missing free throws, you know it's not the bucks' night. purdue then hit a couple of shots to stretch it back out to 8 points and now it looks like the boilermakers are going to win by 6 or 8 points. opportunity lost.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Buckeyes wet the bed early. Lost that game in the first half when it looked like the ball was buttered. You hold Hummel to three shots and that many points you have to win.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jordan kramer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:49 pm

only caught the last 2 minutes or so. did OSU have a timeout left? if they did how does Matta not use it when Buford got rejected by Hummel at the end? call it regroup and set up a play for a 3 instead of a mad scramble of everyone trying to force it to Diebler
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:10 am

jordan kramer wrote:only caught the last 2 minutes or so. did OSU have a timeout left? if they did how does Matta not use it when Buford got rejected by Hummel at the end? call it regroup and set up a play for a 3 instead of a mad scramble of everyone trying to force it to Diebler

They did have a TO left. On that note, how does Matta only play 6 players? Its not like Buford, Lighty and Deibler were lights out (as they were at Illinois). In fact, Buford and Lighty were responsible for a lot of missed opportunities on offense. I also believe the long jumpers that OSU settled for at the end (after fighting it out to get it back to 2) were due to fatigue. Turner was getting to the rack at will and at about the 10 minute mark he was spent and settled for jumpers the rest of the way (all of them hit front rim as well, true sign of a tired jump shooter).

Give PJ Hill and Jeremie Simmons 5-8 minutes each during the first 30 minutes of the game and Turner and the boys might have enough left in their legs to pull it out.

We have three experienced seniors on the bench (granted not very talented, but experienced and at the very least serviceable) and Matta plays his starters 40 a night. Just plain stupid in my book. You have a potential national POY, the league's best starting five and three experienced seniors on the bench, you get a big ten champion 10 out of 10 times. Except Matta only plays six guys. Stupid.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby jordan kramer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:30 am

NEOLeo wrote:
jordan kramer wrote:only caught the last 2 minutes or so. did OSU have a timeout left? if they did how does Matta not use it when Buford got rejected by Hummel at the end? call it regroup and set up a play for a 3 instead of a mad scramble of everyone trying to force it to Diebler

They did have a TO left. On that note, how does Matta only play 6 players? Its not like Buford, Lighty and Deibler were lights out (as they were at Illinois). In fact, Buford and Lighty were responsible for a lot of missed opportunities on offense. I also believe the long jumpers that OSU settled for at the end (after fighting it out to get it back to 2) were due to fatigue. Turner was getting to the rack at will and at about the 10 minute mark he was spent and settled for jumpers the rest of the way (all of them hit front rim as well, true sign of a tired jump shooter).

Give PJ Hill and Jeremie Simmons 5-8 minutes each during the first 30 minutes of the game and Turner and the boys might have enough left in their legs to pull it out.

We have three experienced seniors on the bench (granted not very talented, but experienced and at the very least serviceable) and Matta plays his starters 40 a night. Just plain stupid in my book. You have a potential national POY, the league's best starting five and three experienced seniors on the bench, you get a big ten champion 10 out of 10 times. Except Matta only plays six guys. Stupid.

i agree completely. we have a damn good 5, but they're gonna be completely gassed during the big 10 tourney after a tough big 10 schedule then a buncha games with very little rest in Indy
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Return to College Sports Arena