Text Size

College Sports Arena

Lane Kiffin to USC

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Lane Kiffin to USC

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:31 pm

Ehh, Peek, I don't know. While USC is one of the top 3 jobs (and it definitely wasn't before Carroll arrived, so there's no guarantee it will stay that way), Tennessee ain't exactly Utah or Cincy. It's not like Tenn can't pay near top dollar and doesn't have the resources or the potential to regularly contend for BCS games and national titles. Tenn is in that class of 20 or 30 programs.

When was the last time a guy made a jump like this?
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:41 pm

aoxo1 wrote:When was the last time a guy made a jump like this?

The only thing that comes to mind is Dick Rod, and he was at WV for alot longer than 1 year. His divorce from WV was just as messy.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:When was the last time a guy made a jump like this?

The only thing that comes to mind is Dick Rod, and he was at WV for alot longer than 1 year. His divorce from WV was just as messy.

That's close, although I wouldn't put WVU in that 20 or 30 schools (or whatever the number is).
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:03 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Ehh, Peek, I don't know. While USC is one of the top 3 jobs (and it definitely wasn't before Carroll arrived, so there's no guarantee it will stay that way), Tennessee ain't exactly Utah or Cincy. It's not like Tenn can't pay near top dollar and doesn't have the resources or the potential to regularly contend for BCS games and national titles. Tenn is in that class of 20 or 30 programs.

When was the last time a guy made a jump like this?

He went home. Or to a reasonable facsimile of home.

I don't know man. You look at what's gone on in the last couple months of college football and I think it's hard to make a case for any kind of loyalty on either side of the fence.

Some people may be surprised by this move. I'm not.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:16 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Some people may be surprised by this move. I'm not.

Really? When the Kiffin story broke, it didn't surprise you at all?

I don't know man. You look at what's gone on in the last couple months of college football and I think it's hard to make a case for any kind of loyalty on either side of the fence.

So the last few weeks has soured your opinion on 90% of CFB coaches? What about the guys who have stayed with lesser programs?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:34 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Really? When the Kiffin story broke, it didn't surprise you at all?

Let me answer since I am up, no. I actually thought this right away that Kiffin might bolt, but then I had a moment of craziness where I thought he would like the challenge of winning at UT in the SEC... but when it came out I found it funny, wasnt suprised.

So the last few weeks has soured your opinion on 90% of CFB coaches? What about the guys who have stayed with lesser programs?

Denver sports talk was talking about the coach at USAFA that turned down the UT job, sounds like a great guy. Said he likes the discipline he gets from the Air Force kids. haha, for some reason he thinks he couldnt get the same discipline from the SEC kids. I think guys like him and Peterson are very stand up.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:44 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

The guys that have stayed with lesser programs, that have been offered to larger ones, is way less than 10%. So having a sour opinion on 90% is probably a safe estimate.

The egos required to make these guys good coaches are the same egos that are going to want the better job for either money, status or a combination of both.

And I guess instead of saying "better" job, perhaps "higher profile" or "higher ranking" should be subsituted.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:01 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

No. It didn't surprise me. I shook my head and laughed when I saw it.

No, the last few weeks didn't sour me. I was under the impression they were whores years ago. Pretty much convinced when Saban
stopped just short of pinkie swearing and asking for a bible to hold when he said he wasn't going to Alabama a couple minutes before he did. Petrino, Saban, Kiffin, RichRod, Kelly, etc., etc.

It's a giant whorehouse CDT. Never saw it as Camelot despite how much I love watching it.

You have more faith in people than I do. I live by the 90% rule.
You're not in it, by the way. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Paul Johnson turned down a lot of jobs before leaving the US Naval Academy. At some point, a job is too good or maybe these guys feel like they want to see what they can do with top talent. In any case, Johnson and the guy from AF both have my highest respect for sticking to it.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:05 am

Carroll=pirate=Kiffin

In the words of the old towel grinder Tark the Shark, "UCLA cheats and UC Santa Barbara gets sanctioned."
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena