Text Size

College Sports Arena

Army All American game

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Army All American game

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:09 pm

For those that are interested in the future and OSU recruiting there should be some breaking news tomorrow during the Army All-American Game. The game is interesting, but the recruiting info is really the best part of the game. The Bucks are in the running for a couple of 5* guys who are supposed to be committing tomorrow, Latwan Anderson and Sharrif Floyd. Floyd is a great big ole 2 gapper DT the kind that OSU has never had much success in landing and Anderson is a burner athlete/safety prospect out of Glenville. Those that follow OHSAA football playoffs may remember that Anderson single handedly beat St. Ignatius this year.

OSU also landed another great big tackle, similar to Floyd, named Jonathan Hankins earlier this week. Hankins is a great prospect, but he is not nearly as polished as Floyd. Floyd could come in, similar to Simon, and break the two deep to start the year. He would be an immediate difference maker, and word out of San Antonio is that he has been unblockable, even by other top tier recruits, very exciting stuff.

Seantrel Henderson, the nation's #1 recruit, will be in action also. He is not expected to announce, but the 6'8" 330lb LT prospect is reported to be a heavy OSU lean. Right now he is down to OSU, UF, USC, and ND. With the Pete Carroll expected to leave USC, Meyer's shananigans, and the coaching change at ND, it looks like OSU is a leader for this kid. Henderson and Norwell, will make a great set of bookends. I think that this may be Mike Adams last year to really make a difference, or the staff may look elsewhere (Marcus Hall) and we could/should see Henderson in the two deep next year if he does come on down to Columbus.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Army All American game

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Isn't Henderson scheduled to announce on the CBS college network at some date I forget? And he still has a visit left, right?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Isn't Henderson scheduled to announce on the CBS college network at some date I forget? And he still has a visit left, right?

He's visiting Miami on the 29th and is expected to announce on signing day.

There are rumors going around that Anderson has already committed to West Virginia (over offers from OSU, Georgia and Miami). He's had some character issues and his grades are a question, so that would seem to be a good fit. He's also on record as saying his announcement at the AA Game is a "soft" commitment, so maybe he picks up the West Virginia hat and still switches to OSU down the line if his grades get in order? Who knows.

Floyd was quoted this week as saying his announcement would be "a shocker". I don't like the sounds of that with many people calling him an OSU lean, but I guess we'll see.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:24 pm

Any word on where Hicks is headed?
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby furls » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:14 am

Hicks has always been Texas' to lose. There was some talk that he could end up in Gainesville, but I don't know. I am fairly (99%) sure that he is not coming to OSU. Hicks is a great prospect and sure it would be nice to get him, but the Bucks are already ridiculous deep at LB'er: Homan, Rolle, Moeller, Sweat, Sabino, Whiting, Klein, Bell, Newsome.... All these guys have unknown potential, but on that list are the top 2 ILBs of 2008 (Sabino and Sweat) and the #1 OLB in the country last year (Bell). The only place where the Bucks may be deeper is at RB with Saine, Herron, J.Hall, Martin, Berry, Hyde (2009), and Smith (2009).

Supposedly, and I am still catching up, but Andrew Sweat was the best of them all (outside of the starters last year) prior to his injury and we have seen Sabino play well in flashes. The Bucks are set at LB for the next few years. That all means that the DT and LT prospects are that much more important.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:52 am

Great stuff, Furls. Thanks for the info.

I like Sweat, but I think Storm Klein has every bit the ability and potential of a Hawk or a Laurinaitis or a Homan. Actually, he reminds me more of a young Spielman, but I'm not quite ready to make that leap with him yet. We'll get our first look at Dorian Bell in the Spring Game...can't wait for that.
Last edited by danwismar on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:07 am

Let me try something out on you, Furls. The LB depth is such that, as strong and powerful as Whiting is, and seeing as how he might not have the speed to play LB in this system, (and/or would be behind Klein, Sabino, Rolle, at the ILB spot(s).....I'm thinking Leo for him possibly...maybe even try to make a hybrid DT out of him...or am I crazy?
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:41 am

Yeah, we'll see where this lands.....

Rumors swirling EVERYWHERE all week about Floyd flipping to UF.....though the only shocker here would be South Carolina or North Carolina.....but from nearly every single angle the news this week is that Floyds ship has sailed as far as OSU is concerned....

Anderson looking to commit to WVU from what I've heard as well....aside from Hankins, all "news" has been bad news this week. Sky is falling type attitudes everywhere.

CB Christian Bryant is also playing tomorrow, he should be OSU bound. Tressel and staff were in house with Hicks trying to make a last stand tonight, and I believe DB Roby, a current Vandy commit, was to official to OSU today, look for him to switch commitments if things go reasonably well....apparently good friends with Cam, his mother went to the Rose with Cam as I understand it.

A close of Hankins, Bryant, Henderson and Roby would be good with me.......Chances still with James, Anderson, Floyd, Dominique Brown and whispers about a guard from VA committed to WVU right now as well, he might visit next week.

Let's hope this close isn't 2003 all over again.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby furls » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:10 am

The LB depth is such that, as strong and powerful as Whiting is, and seeing as how he might not have the speed to play LB in this system, (and/or would be behind Klein, Sabino, Rolle, at the ILB spot(s).....I'm thinking Leo for him possibly...maybe even try to make a hybrid DT out of him...or am I crazy?

Not crazy at all, makes good sense, and I agree that he should probably switch and try to work the LEO. At 6'0" I am not sure if he will ever really get the size to play with a hand down, but you never know. Storm Klein is a guy that shows exactly how f'd up the ESPN HS talent evaluation is. They had him ranked as an athlete, #73 at that. The kid is all linebacker and I agree, he will be special at OSU. Out of that group, I really like the Bucks to march out Klein, Sweat, and Sabino in '11 in what will probably be the most athletic group of LB's we have seen in a generation. Of course, Bell has the potential and ability to break into that group. Bell's film is every bit as impressive as Jordan Hicks.

A video reminder for those that might be interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4OdAWBIxC8

This second video is very interesting as it contains JT scouting commentary on both guys as he looks at their film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shYVV1zUvo0

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:42 am

Rumors swirling EVERYWHERE all week about Floyd flipping to UF.....though the only shocker here would be South Carolina or North Carolina.....but from nearly every single angle the news this week is that Floyds ship has sailed as far as OSU is concerned....

I generally don't subscribe to the theory that things change that much in a week. The kid has supposedly been an OSU lean for a couple of months, I have a hard time believing that he totally reversed himself in a week. Remember, there was a lot of drama about Marcus Hall last year, same crap. Floyd could definitely end up at UF, which would be a disappointment, but I still think he is OSU's.

Anderson.... well, I don't know. Hard to tell if he is actually being earnest with everyone about WVU. He could be interested in getting the immediate PT at WVU, where he would probably redshirt at OSU. There are also the age old grade concerns; that could have him off to WVU, there are rumors that he has not qualified at OSU yet. It is hard to say, the Glenville kids love to play the recruiting game right until the end (see Hall, M.; Ginn, T.; et al). I generally tend to believe that all Glenville kids go to OSU until they announce otherwise (Scott, Cordale).

I love to play the %'s, it means that I have to think less, and OSU hits in Glenville almost all the time, but there is a lot more smoke to the WVU fire this time than there usually is with these kids. He has listed WVU as his leader for months.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:49 am

Furls wrote:
I generally don't subscribe to the theory that things change that much in a week. The kid has supposedly been an OSU lean for a couple of months, I have a hard time believing that he totally reversed himself in a week. Remember, there was a lot of drama about Marcus Hall last year, same crap. Floyd could definitely end up at UF, which would be a disappointment, but I still think he is OSU's..

I have resisted this all week as well, Furls. Hell I almost see it as the opposite of situations like Davis, McCoy, etc....in that now everyone, and I mean everyone, is saying Floyd is all but gone. I would love for OSU to finally get one the other way, but recent history says this is exactly the situation the buckeyes have been loser in for the last 8 years. I remain hopeful we land him, but only because I went into the week thinking that. Marcus was a Glenville kid who helped the buckeyes get Fellows to decommit from the illini and commit to the bucks, I wouldn't compare the two.

Furls wrote:Anderson.... well, I don't know. Hard to tell if he is actually being earnest with everyone about WVU. He could be interested in getting the immediate PT at WVU, where he would probably redshirt at OSU. There are also the age old grade concerns; that could have him off to WVU, there are rumors that he has not qualified at OSU yet. It is hard to say, the Glenville kids love to play the recruiting game right until the end (see Hall, M.; Ginn, T.; et al). I generally tend to believe that all Glenville kids go to OSU until they announce otherwise (Scott, Cordale).

I love to play the %'s, it means that I have to think less, and OSU hits in Glenville almost all the time, but there is a lot more smoke to the WVU fire this time than there usually is with these kids. He has listed WVU as his leader for months.

Grades and PT seem to be the issue here....I've heard if he announces today, its going to be WVU, simple as that. But any verbal would be a "soft" verbal..this one apparently will go down to signing day...I believe GInn put some work in to get this kid an offer in the first place, amid charactor and grade issues. I doubt he'd be very keen on him then spurning OSU for WVU. Word was that he is past NCAA clearinghouse, but you never know if if was enough to get through OSU admissions.....

I'm honestly not sure if losing him would be the worst thing. I'm not going to sit here and go on and on about it.....just saying that I wont be shedding any tears over him....

Like I said, I will be THRILLED to land one of Henderson/Floyd to go with say, Roby, Bryant, and either Brown or James...

I do not think we will get both Floyd and Henderson.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:49 pm

What I'm hearing is that Anderson has given a verbal to WVU and will announce today. Most people think the Floyd train has left the station to UF, but he keeps saying everyone will be surprised...so maybe it's S. Carolina? Petey's departure has helped the case for Henderson to OSU. Bryant is a done deal to OSU.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Anderson officially verbals to WVU. I heard the same thing about Floyd, but like I said, last week he was supposed to be a lock. Except in the case of recent USC commits, I don't think that a week usually changes that much. We shall see. I wonder if he could end up at South Carolina.... that would be surprising.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:35 pm

Floyd has been a monster in this game, he is getting some serious penetration regardless of whether he is double teamed.

#73, playing left D tackle both one gap and two from play to play.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Floyd to Florida, lots of rumors about it this week, but still very disappointing. He is the best player I have seen in this game today. He was ready to play next year, even with our great DTs. Bummer.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Furls wrote:Floyd to Florida, lots of rumors about it this week, but still very disappointing. He is the best player I have seen in this game today. He was ready to play next year, even with our great DTs. Bummer.

Agree. He would have instantly been in the 2-deep and would have been competing with Goebel for the third DT spot.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:56 am

Furls wrote:Floyd to Florida, lots of rumors about it this week, but still very disappointing. He is the best player I have seen in this game today. He was ready to play next year, even with our great DTs. Bummer.

This was a post on another site regarding Floyd flipping to UF. I would post it as just a funny take, or sour grapes.....but this is now the story floating around from several different places.....considering Meyers past in recruiting (he did tell Jevin Snead he was recruiting Tebow to play linebacker) I think this story is not far from the truth.

"we ALL thought he was going to OSU---kid talked about it all the time, even when he went on other visits---he was going to be a Buckeye. Then came the Urban Meyer announcement--Sharriff was really confused and put a call into Coach Meyer-----and when they spoke Coach Meyer told him that he had a "dream" the night before, and that Coach Meyer saw himself on the sideline coaching Sharriff. Told him that is was a "message from God that I should come back and coach---as I guess if its my time to die, I'd rather die on the sidelines coaching you than anywhere else in the world"

"Sharriff talked to us the next day and said--Ohio State is great and all, but Coach Meyer said he would DIE for me--that's pretty intense."

"From that day on Sharriff mainly kept to himself----but that was the turning point in my eyes"
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:26 pm

Wow, Urban went biblical with him. Not surprising that he gets this much communication from God; coaching Tebow and all.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:28 pm

No way would Urban use something like his health problems and use it to his advantage. What if his daughter reads this? Won't she be upset that Daddy didn't have a dream about walking her down the aisle at her wedding, and that is why he decided to stay retired :lmfao:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:47 pm

The AAA game is a disgusting exercize ot me. Kids picking a cap with they mommas sitting next to them as if they think it is the NFL draft.

Is there a conveneint link where thse kids are going from game announcements, though? I want to know the results, I just didn't want to watch the BS.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:21 pm

Pup wrote:No way would Urban use something like his health problems and use it to his advantage. What if his daughter reads this? Won't she be upset that Daddy didn't have a dream about walking her down the aisle at her wedding, and that is why he decided to stay retired :lmfao:

I have to say Pup, I still don't think this angle was PLANNED, but he sure is playing in a way I never thought possible.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:27 pm

JCoz wrote:

This was a post on another site regarding Floyd flipping to UF. I would post it as just a funny take, or sour grapes.....but this is now the story floating around from several different places.....considering Meyers past in recruiting (he did tell Jevin Snead he was recruiting Tebow to play linebacker) I think this story is not far from the truth.

"we ALL thought he was going to OSU---kid talked about it all the time, even when he went on other visits---he was going to be a Buckeye. Then came the Urban Meyer announcement--Sharriff was really confused and put a call into Coach Meyer-----and when they spoke Coach Meyer told him that he had a "dream" the night before, and that Coach Meyer saw himself on the sideline coaching Sharriff. Told him that is was a "message from God that I should come back and coach---as I guess if its my time to die, I'd rather die on the sidelines coaching you than anywhere else in the world"

"Sharriff talked to us the next day and said--Ohio State is great and all, but Coach Meyer said he would DIE for me--that's pretty intense."

"From that day on Sharriff mainly kept to himself----but that was the turning point in my eyes"

Straight out of Burt Lancaster in "The Rainmaker".

It is true. The stereotype is that defensive linemen are the dumbest payers on the roster.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:35 pm

JB wrote:Straight out of Burt Lancaster in "The Rainmaker".

It is true. The stereotype is that defensive linemen are the dumbest payers on the roster.

I was thinking the same thing....I seriously overestimated the intellegence of some of these kids. Jevin Snead was smart enough to realize that Tim Tebow was no LB.

But to believe this sort of shit? W-O-W. A dream? God's message to him?

Taking this thing to a new level.....

Die on the sidelines coaching you? I wouldn't be shedding any tears over it if it happened.

Wait till Urban pulls a houdini on them in the next 12 months.

I've got my popcorn ready for this, the next 12 months should be interesting...
JCoz

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:14 am

Now would be a good time for Tress to have a dream with Henderson, Hicks, & Roby in it and give them a call...before Urban strikes....again.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:01 pm

He already had a dream with Roby in it. I am hoping for a dream with Henderson, James, Bryant, and Hicks in that order.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena